University of Alberta

University of Alberta Employee Reviews in Canada

A great place to work!
Sessional Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 10, 2015
University of Alberta is an absolutely amazing place to work! Great work culture, great opportunities! There is an opportunity for a healthy work-life balance, the university is very supportive of healthy extra-curricular activities. The resources on campus are abundant so you always feel prepared for your work tasks.
A great place to work, unless you want to make money
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 4, 2016
Working at the U of A is great. I loved the campus and the people. It's not a good place to learn professional skills though.
Pros
Facilities on campus, gym, pool, close to river valley
Cons
Lack of professional culture and no mentoring
Productive Place to grow
Doctoral Candidate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 29, 2016
A typical day involves doing experiments or analysing data.
I've learnt to be innovative and think on my feet.
I'm lucky to have co workers that are always willing to help and a supervisor that allows me some freedom with my research.
Cons
Leading students from EPSB in various environmental studies
Environmental Educator (Former Employee) –  Devon, ABSeptember 24, 2015
The position was extremely enjoyable and rewarding working with diverse ages and cultures. Although the studies and programs we ran remained the same the experience with each group was very different. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the season changes and being outside everyday. Although you have to be very aware of the weather forecast and changing conditions. Meeting new people and telling stories about nature, wildlife and history of the gardens was very rewarding. It was a peaceful and picturesque place to work.
Cons
Seasonal work
Good Research Opportunity
Research Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 5, 2016
Learned to design equipment, do experiments, handle apparatus safely, process data, and wrote professional technical essays. Great place to obtain research skills but salary was a little low.
Productive, Fast Pace, and Dynamic.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 16, 2016
Working in research every project is different. The people are passionate about what they do and are looking into new ways of solving an old problem. Research was a division I enjoyed and I really liked my team. Being in the field makes weeks away from home hard. Weeks away also means you see new places and see familiar places in a new light.
Tasks are mentally and physically demanding
You have to be excited about your project
Amazing growth opportunities - if there is funding !
Pros
Different projects
Cons
Different projects
Good summer jobs here
Maintenance Worker Summer Job (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 28, 2016
Fixing rooms and providing light corrective maintenance where ever its needed. Good management and coworker to work with at these jobs.
Productive and offers multiple opportunities to learn
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Faculty of MedicineApril 6, 2016
I have worked across various departments within the University of Alberta. Overall, work environments are relaxing and collegial. As well, the environment promotes independent thinking and learning.
Pros
Networking and professional development opportunities
a typical work day
Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 20, 2015
review departmental backups log
review departmental antiviral scan report
check ticket system for priority response
deployment of new hardware
surplus/destruction of old equipment
maintain network support
IP assignment, recycle old IP
update servers with current anti-viral signatures
update staff in active directory
deletion of staff
Pros
staff extremely educated, helpful, personable
Cons
advanced technology requires constant educational upgrades
Wonderful life experience
Graduate Student Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 1, 2016
My 21 years with the University of Alberta has provided me with a record of accomplishment and dedication. The experiences gave me the opportunity to develop a high level of professionalism and a strong work ethic.
University Hospital great team
environmental (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 25, 2015
University of Alberta was a very safe and productive with supervisors who were very supportive. Although the U of A had several hospitals together it was not difficult to have co-workers from all different departments that respected you and greeted you. As part of Alberta Health Services one of your roles was to be understanding and empathetic of individual situations that arose on a daily basis.
Great and fun place to work at
Astrophysicist/Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 12, 2016
I have been working here for more than five years. I like UofA. It's a great and fun place to work at. Everyone is friendly and environment is nice.
Pros
Fun and friendly place to work at
Everyday was different and kept you on your toes
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 15, 2015
Collaborating closely with outside clients, professors and students was what I loved about working at the University. There is a certain feeling that the University gives off, that put a smile on my face everyday.

There was a new challenge that arouse each day and I'd have to troubleshoot an issue that I necessarily had never encountered before, therefore I'd learn from each challenge. Sometimes I'd learn how to solve that particular issue, and other times I would learn something about myself or my co-workers.
Productive and friendly workplace
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 27, 2016
The hours were very flexible and the work was very detailed and required focus. The head of the lab was very helpful as well as other lab members.
Great campus life
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
Working at the University of Alberta as a Teacher's Assistant and Research Assistant provided a great campus life, and work - life balance.
Excellent place to work
Faculty of Extension, English Language Program (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 22, 2015
This is an excellent place to work. It is a cooperative teaching team, with a supportive management. Everyone wants to work here, and there is a good reason for that.
Multi-culture and Enjoyable Place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 3, 2016
Very enjoy everyday working in the lab or be a teaching assistant for undergraduate students.
Co-works are very helpful and friendly.
Good university to work for
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 8, 2016
I was doing teaching and researching assistant when i was pursuing my Master's degree. Edmonton is a city with incredible long winter.

Good place to study and work.
Great work environment
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaAugust 20, 2015
The University of Alberta is a great place to work that provides you the ability to be able to further your career within different areas of the UofA.
Productive workplace
Teaching Assistant for Biostatistics (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 4, 2015
I work as Teaching Assistant and I have no complaints.I work with a professor who is well versed in Biostatistics so this is a great learning opportunity for me. Also, while teaching students it really helps to understand the concepts better.

4.4