University of Alberta

University of Alberta Employee Reviews in Canada

Good Research Opportunity
Research Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 5, 2016
Learned to design equipment, do experiments, handle apparatus safely, process data, and wrote professional technical essays. Great place to obtain research skills but salary was a little low.
Nice employment and nice benefits
Senior Research Technologist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 10, 2016
Work at the University is very pleasant. Everyday there are a new challenge to face. I have been learning a lot and I am be able to mentor students in working in my lab. The hardest part of the job is the feeling that science is no longer something that the student want to do. It is not well paid or recognize anymore, almost every student want to become a doctor instead. I enjoy working with stuidents, they keep your spirit young.
Pros
Important work to help human health
Cons
A lot of work and not well paid or recognize
Productive Place to grow
Doctoral Candidate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 29, 2016
A typical day involves doing experiments or analysing data.
I've learnt to be innovative and think on my feet.
I'm lucky to have co workers that are always willing to help and a supervisor that allows me some freedom with my research.
Cons
Productive, Fast Pace, and Dynamic.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 16, 2016
Working in research every project is different. The people are passionate about what they do and are looking into new ways of solving an old problem. Research was a division I enjoyed and I really liked my team. Being in the field makes weeks away from home hard. Weeks away also means you see new places and see familiar places in a new light.
Tasks are mentally and physically demanding
You have to be excited about your project
Amazing growth opportunities - if there is funding !
Pros
Different projects
Cons
Different projects
Productive and offers multiple opportunities to learn
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Faculty of MedicineApril 6, 2016
I have worked across various departments within the University of Alberta. Overall, work environments are relaxing and collegial. As well, the environment promotes independent thinking and learning.
Pros
Networking and professional development opportunities
productive environment, friendly coworkers, busy work environment, good team work.
Customer Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 6, 2016
My work involved taking customers orders and processing them.
Sometimes I was assigned to cleaning of the work area.My co-workers were very friendly people whom encouraged team work. I gained good communication skills with customers.
Pros
discounted lunches
Cons
Busy long hours of work
Good summer jobs here
Maintenance Worker Summer Job (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 28, 2016
Fixing rooms and providing light corrective maintenance where ever its needed. Good management and coworker to work with at these jobs.
Comfortable job with good benefits and decent salary
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 22, 2016
Excellent support staff and departmental management. Flexible hours and good facilities and equipment. Good additional benefits including transportation subsidy.
Pros
Extra vacation during Christmas holidays
Cons
Only 10 vacation days per year
A great place to work, unless you want to make money
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 4, 2016
Working at the U of A is great. I loved the campus and the people. It's not a good place to learn professional skills though.
Pros
Facilities on campus, gym, pool, close to river valley
Cons
Lack of professional culture and no mentoring
Wonderful life experience
Graduate Student Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 1, 2016
My 21 years with the University of Alberta has provided me with a record of accomplishment and dedication. The experiences gave me the opportunity to develop a high level of professionalism and a strong work ethic.
Too cold in Edmonton
Laboratory Technologist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 26, 2016
lots of repetitive work, which I hate. The other things are OK, Great people to work with. Working in an undergrad lab., means lots of repetitive work every day.
nice and productive place
TEACHER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 7, 2016
co-workers were dedicated and nice. environment triggered me to be more creative and active while they gave me new tips and tricks about working there.
Productive and friendly workplace
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 27, 2016
The hours were very flexible and the work was very detailed and required focus. The head of the lab was very helpful as well as other lab members.
learning
Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 6, 2015
Being a graduate student at university of Alberta was a whole new experience for me where you enjoy great privileges in terms of learning, professional workshops, daily activities, sports facilities and much more.
It was a great learning experience for me with access to all online databases and libraries. It greatly improved my writing, presentation and teaching skills.
Pros
learning potential
Cons
salary
Great employer
Events Staff (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 12, 2016
Great environment to be working in. I look forward to coming to work every single day. I love meeting new people and creating meaningful interactions.
Leading students from EPSB in various environmental studies
Environmental Educator (Former Employee) –  Devon, ABSeptember 24, 2015
The position was extremely enjoyable and rewarding working with diverse ages and cultures. Although the studies and programs we ran remained the same the experience with each group was very different. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the season changes and being outside everyday. Although you have to be very aware of the weather forecast and changing conditions. Meeting new people and telling stories about nature, wildlife and history of the gardens was very rewarding. It was a peaceful and picturesque place to work.
Cons
Seasonal work
A great place to work!
Sessional Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 10, 2015
University of Alberta is an absolutely amazing place to work! Great work culture, great opportunities! There is an opportunity for a healthy work-life balance, the university is very supportive of healthy extra-curricular activities. The resources on campus are abundant so you always feel prepared for your work tasks.
Great campus life
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
Working at the University of Alberta as a Teacher's Assistant and Research Assistant provided a great campus life, and work - life balance.
More stagnation than growth for me.
COMPUTER PROGRAMMER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 9, 2014
After studying for three years at university and two years at a technical college, I was fortunate to get work as a computer programmer at the U. of A. from 1979 to 1982. I failed to grow very much in this job, because of my limited talents and the lack of mentoring. During the last year or two, an enhanced new suite of software was being developed by an independent contractor. I felt overwhelmed as I puttered away on the more rudimentary facets of the current system for our process-control application. When I quit the job in order to emigrate to Britain, I knew that I would have to get more education (perhaps in an application area such as insurance) before taking on another job in computer programming.
Pros
pay and benefits.
Cons
lack of mentoring.
a typical work day
Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 20, 2015
review departmental backups log
review departmental antiviral scan report
check ticket system for priority response
deployment of new hardware
surplus/destruction of old equipment
maintain network support
IP assignment, recycle old IP
update servers with current anti-viral signatures
update staff in active directory
deletion of staff
Pros
staff extremely educated, helpful, personable
Cons
advanced technology requires constant educational upgrades

4.4