University of Alberta

University of Alberta Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great place to work with great opportunities
Governance Systems Coordinator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 31, 2016
Pros: Great atmosphere, constantly busy and keeps you on your toes
Cons: Not taking breaks. Got too involved in the work and not taking proper breaks.
A typical day at work would be working with the Compliance officer on appeals. Using Peoplesoft to look up student information and entering appeal information into the database; preparing material to send to panel members; meeting students who come into the office for inquiries about how to submit an appeal and also ensuring that students and all panel members receive all of their material before each hearing; making nameplates; responding to emails from Faculties who inquire about previous offences for students; Closing appeal files after deadline dates have passed.

Processing invoices on a daily basis for the Department was also a big part of my job; reconciling accounts every month; reconciling the mastercard at certain periods of the month; printing off financial reports and checking them to ensure we are not overcharged; assisting staff with planning events and how to pay for the events;

For new staff it was my duty to enter all of their personnel information into Peoplesoft to ensure they got paid; Getting staff set up for the security system in our office; Entering staff leave reports for vacation and days off; entering hours for part-time staff to ensure they get paid.

I also looked after all of the equipment in our office. I had to make sure that all computers were kept up to date including office equipment.

I was the Resource Person in our office for all inquiries.

Multi-tasking was key and I was very used to this. It was done on a daily basis. Prioritizing work had to be done always.
Great environment to work and plenty of diversity however, i felt minimal value or importance at work and a lot of political issues.
Safety Fire Prevention Technician (Co-op) (Former Employee), Edmonton ABSeptember 8, 2012
Typical Day at work:
Walk arounds
Type procedures
Run random errands
Develop PowerPoint
Train employees
What I learned:
How to take out a fire
Communicate with workers when issues arise( not following procedures)
Needs to learn how to work together as a team. I felt management spent more time figuring out how to give their job to someone else rather then taking 5 minutes out of thier non-busy schedule to simple complete the task. Management requires more training.
Co-workers:
When needed they are very helpful if you are confused or have any questions
All training is provided without hesitation
At times, great guidance
Don't have enough work to do ( sleep during the day)
Push their work on others
Don't respect employees privacy
Hard to build a relationship
Hardest part of the job
Dealing with the safety coordinator and the safety supervisor
Not feeling important at work
Safety coordinator only gave me 6 small tasks for 5 months, not enough work! I needed more responsibility, exposure and trust.
At times safety coordinator and supervisor would be insulting towards me
What I enjoyed at work
Meeting knew people in the different divisions
Reviving great feedback from co-workers
Divisions respected me
Diversity
Educating people
University of Alberta is an excellent place to work!
Regional Manager (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 1, 2013
Pros: many opportunities to network and collaborate, ongoing professional and personal development, free training, attractive benefits, reasonable compensation, flexible work arrangements available
Cons: research funded without permanency, limited facilities which can accommodate certain cultural practices, limits ability to support certain cultural groups
The UofA is a bustling workplace with ongoing opportunities to enjoy professional and personal development opportunities. Management of our research project works from a collaborative approach and utilizes best practices to move into next practice.

This position has taught me the importance of interactive approaches which facilitate participation at all levels. This position has taught me additional skills in team leadership and conflict management. The most influential learning I have experienced has been 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.

The most difficult part of the job is working with diverse staff with various cultural backgrounds, differing values and being in remote locations..

Co-workers are dynamic, positive and forward thinking where the most enjoyable aspect of the job is the team collaborative approaches to training, networking and meetings.
I enjoy working in a very diverse environment particularly in Drama and Music as there is always a play or a performance to attend.
Accounting Assistant, Department of Music (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 5, 2012
Pros: part time hours plus benefits for many years
At moment I work in a small office for a manager who is easy to work for and open to everyone ideas as the office is in a state of rebuilding, lots of change. The hardest part of the job is dealing with all the change within the faculty and university in general as many people have been laid off due restructuring or moved to different positions so I am often dealing with someone who is at the bottom of what is sometimes a very steep learning curve. There are many upgrades to the People soft system and things that we done a certain way a year ago have changed and process to access help is cumbersome and less than ideal That being said working in an educational setting with students around at all times make for a vibrate and sometimes noisy, crowded (HUB Mall) environment. Over the years I have met some very talented people and made some life long friends.
A Place for state of the art Education and Multi-cultural experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 2, 2013
Pros: lots of free food seminars, state-of-art education
Cons: severe winter
I work as Research assistant in a Geophysics group. Coming around 10 am staying all day doing experiments in the lab, have nice time in lunch with my co-workers who are my friends too. Experimental geophysicist is not so easy, you need to have clear idea before starting a job, face several obstruction (mechanical failure, miscalculation), waiting for the run to finish but at last I feel refresh when finish my job with the helping hand of the members of the team. The challenging projects build up innovation, creativity and determination inside me as well as create the ability to work in a team. Analytical problem solving and service-oriented perspective, self-starting quality flourished through this kind of work. Every Friday evening I play badminton in the club, and also do some flag-football occasionally that refresh me for the next day.
Productive and friendly environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 18, 2013
Pros: friendly atmosphere
Cons: noisy study area
I start my work at 8:00 AM every weekdays. My work consist of experiments in lab and doing research and study while I am at my desk in study area. I have schedule time for my daily routine of study, coffee time, gym and other activities. There are some difficulties and problems in each job, in my job it gets harder when I need to study paperwork more than those time I need to spend at lab to do measurements as I am person who is more interested to do handy activities. The most enjoyable part of my job is my passion. I always have this dream to help human life and to present something which is practical and useful for our life. A lot of people suffering from cancer all around the world. I have a good feeling when I think about the useful parts of this job finding a solution to treat such diseases. Moreover, I am a social person and love to work as a team member which is another good part of this job.
A place where research meets fun
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 13, 2014
The work for my job depends on the project's requirement. If we are running a field assessment oriented project, I need to go out taking samples and demonstrate sample analysis both on-site and back to lab. If we are running an experiment oriented project, I will spend most of time in our laboratory monitoring parameters of interests on a daily basis. Apart from these, I help other group members in sample analysis and sometimes give trainings and demonstrations in experimental skills. Meanwhile, I will compile some technical reports after or in the process of a project. All of my co-workers are hard workers and really inspiring. Together with them, we have figured out many burning issues during sampling and analysis processes. The most enjoyable part of this job is to see what we have found during our research can be applied in practice.
Productive place
Reservoir Simulation Research Assistant (Current Employee), EdmontonOctober 2, 2013
Quantitative ranking of different operating areas and assessment of uncertainty due to reservoir heterogeneities are crucial elements in optimization of production and development strategies in oil sands operations. As a part of my master’s research experience I employed ANN as a proxy model to estimate SAGD recovery performance by using various heterogeneous reservoir properties and injection parameters. I am proficient in reservoir simulation modeling using software such as CMG-STARS/IMEX, ECLIPSE and Petrel. Furthermore, I have also worked as Teaching Assistant for graduate and undergraduate courses related to the numerical reservoir simulation, reservoir fluid phase behavior and numerical modeling of 2D flow simulators for heterogeneous reservoirs.
Suitable environment for learning and gaining experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Edmonton, AB, CanadaSeptember 29, 2014
I like my experience of working at U of A, because it is a place the people around you are dedicated to educate and help other people to learn and gain experience. My supervisor help me a lot to find myself in a new work environment, to flourish my talents and capabilities.
I learned a lot about different pipeline installation methods, the construction process and laws in Canada, and the differences between scheduling and project coordination in Canada and my previous experience back home.
The hardest part of my job is to keep up-to-date, due to rapid progress of related technologies in our major. And the most enjoyable part is the fact that if you're willing enough, everyday you can learn something new in your major.
A Small-minded Community
Academic Advisor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 14, 2012
Pros: nice physical environment and easy commute
Cons: toxic work culture!!
Work culture is incredibly demanding and awful. One is often thrust into extra duties and chores way beyond one's mandated responsibilities. Academics are an ignorant and incompetent bunch, very difficult to work with, unless one bows to their authority like a little servant and actually do their jobs for them. Staff are not any better when many cannot do their jobs and have no motivation to upgrade themselves. Nasty politics all around and even racist comments. There is little advancement opportunity because too many people are fighting for it. Many positions are temporary and do not pay for what we put into the work. The staff union is useless and does not protect their own.
More stagnation than growth for me.
COMPUTER PROGRAMMER (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 9, 2014
Pros: pay and benefits.
Cons: lack of mentoring.
After studying for three years at university and two years at a technical college, I was fortunate to get work as a computer programmer at the U. of A. from 1979 to 1982. I failed to grow very much in this job, because of my limited talents and the lack of mentoring. During the last year or two, an enhanced new suite of software was being developed by an independent contractor. I felt overwhelmed as I puttered away on the more rudimentary facets of the current system for our process-control application. When I quit the job in order to emigrate to Britain, I knew that I would have to get more education (perhaps in an application area such as insurance) before taking on another job in computer programming.
Great atmosphere to work and easy tasks
Library Shelving Member (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 31, 2015
Pros: free snacks
Cons: short hours shift
*Assisting in shelving books in a timely and organized manner
*Classifying variety of books to different areas
*Keeping the tidy of books on the shelves
*Reporting the overflow of book shelves or any areas need to be fixed

From this job, I have learned to organize everything in effcient way and work indepently. I am realy enjoyable to work with my co-workers, all of them are nice and fun. We hepled each other to finish the tasks, and communicate about our process of tasks. The people in the liabraries are friendly, this is the most enjoyable part of the job for me. The hardest part of the job I think is sometimes people return books in the last 15 mins, and we need to try very hard to finish them.
My love for the Cree language inspires me to help others to love it as well.
Tutor (Former Employee), EdmontonAugust 23, 2013
Pros: continued learning
Cons: i am still not fluent
For three years I was the tutor for Aboriginal Student Services at the University of Alberta and loved every second. I would meet with students that were having some difficulties learning Cree. Initially I could only tutor the introductory and intermediate levels, but upon my own completion of the the advanced level and being published I have had the experience tutoring at this level as well. Students would express where they have difficulties and I would show them unique techniques that would enhance their abilities. My love for the language shows when I work with my students, friends and family.
Excellent leadership and communication skills developed through performing multidisciplinary projects, teaching, volunteering activities
Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Chemical and Materials EngineeringSeptember 11, 2013
Prepared comprehensive monthly reports of the research progress for supervisors
I Collaborated with a team of multi-disciplinary researchers
Prepared project descriptions and proposals, designed laboratory experiments, analyzed the results and delivered and published the accomplishments within budgeted time frames
Public presentation of research findings for faculty of engineering
Experience in safety inspection and preparing reports of hazards discovered during inspections
A great summer work experience
Labourer (Former Employee), Camrose, AlbertaMarch 31, 2013
Throughout the summer of 2012, a typical day started at 6:00 am and lasted until 3:00 pm. Everything from stripping and re finishing floors, to window washing and steam cleaning was done.
I learned just what it looks like to keep a facility like a university in good standing and hygienic order. Custodial services work hard in and around our communities and should be cherished!
The most enjoyable part of the job were the co-workers and the hours of work. We received ample amounts of brake time and the staff are quite jovial.
While much of the work was demanding, the management was encouraging and made the workday very enjoyable.
Leading students from EPSB in various environmental studies
Environmental Educator (Former Employee), Devon, ABSeptember 24, 2015
Cons: Seasonal work
The position was extremely enjoyable and rewarding working with diverse ages and cultures. Although the studies and programs we ran remained the same the experience with each group was very different. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the season changes and being outside everyday. Although you have to be very aware of the weather forecast and changing conditions. Meeting new people and telling stories about nature, wildlife and history of the gardens was very rewarding. It was a peaceful and picturesque place to work.
productive
teaching assistant (Former Employee), EdmontonJanuary 23, 2014
Cons: long hours
My simple work day started by reading first, then do the experimental work at the lab. I try to split my energy, which is the most in the morning and the least by evening. Hence, I do less mental work in the evening.

Reactions in action are fun, they are not usually goes the way it is planned. I really enjoy the time when I finally win the challenge and direct the project in the way it should work.
Having a nice relationship with group mates will accelerate the progress which I really believe in it.
However, I cannot ignore difficult times when I challenged to rebound
the problems.
Productive, exciting, always educational and challanging.
Business Relationship Manager, WestGrid Site Lead (Former Employee), General Services Building, Main Campus, EdmontonAugust 20, 2013
amazing place where every day may bring new challenge, very hard to establish a routine because people and projects are in constant change, this is part of the excitement, one learns to deal with change. work atmosphere is electrifying because you are surrounded by very skilled experts in any chosen field or discipline, yet very quickly it feels like one is a part of this amazing campus community, that will provide assistance and encouragement to fulfill your career and personal goals.
Peoplesoft Functional Analyst (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 6, 2015
It is a very productive environment and Challenging to handle the clients ,resolving their problem by giving technical Solutions.Attending meetings ,workshops to gain more knowledge about the business process.
Management is very friendly and i am getting good opportunity to work with high knowledge peoplesoft analysts.
Hardest part of my job,well i love my job ,i never feel like something is hardest for me.every challenges make to gain more knowledge .
Gaining Knowledge is the most enjoyable part not only as a part of job but also a team member.
Everyday was different and kept you on your toes
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 15, 2015
Collaborating closely with outside clients, professors and students was what I loved about working at the University. There is a certain feeling that the University gives off, that put a smile on my face everyday.

There was a new challenge that arouse each day and I'd have to troubleshoot an issue that I necessarily had never encountered before, therefore I'd learn from each challenge. Sometimes I'd learn how to solve that particular issue, and other times I would learn something about myself or my co-workers.