University Health Network

University Health Network Employee Reviews

Challenging and rewarding work environment.
Nuclear Technologist, Cardiology (Former Employee) –  TorontoMay 13, 2015
Dealing with challenging cardiac patients there were a lot of learning opportunities. UHN allowed for professional development and provided an excellent environment to learn new diagnostic procedures for example CT and calcium scoring. Worked with cooperative,fun and professional staff . I learned to prioritize and organize in a very busy environment as well as attain excellent communication skills.
Pros
Learrning opportunities and cutting edge technology.
Cons
inconsistencies when patients arrived very late, early or on wrong day
Good workplace
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 2, 2015
Good working conditions
Fast pace evironment
received a lot of experience
good management
very versatile
enjoyable work
the heart of scientific community
Great Experience
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  torontoOctober 7, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management.
You develop skills and get a lot of experience.
Politics are very soft and no difficulties in resolving any issues.
Busy work environment within a busy city.
Facilities Manager/Chief Engineer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioApril 26, 2015
The organization is quite respectable and the work is a busy work environment. The biggest challenge is the cost of living in or near Toronto. The job doesn't pay what one might expect working in Toronto. The salary is comparable to areas such as Hamilton, Brantford, Niagara where the cost of living is quite affordable. The only option is to commute where this option take both time and money to do.The job is great. The location is the challenge.
Pros
Great organization
Cons
The cost of living in Toronto
Stressful, Fast Paced, Healthcare
HRIS Business Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 27, 2015
What can you say about Canada's largest research and teaching hospital? It's busy. Healthcare is a non stop business operating 24/7 It's not for everyone.

You just never know what your day will bring.
Top-tier research institution and amazing people to learn from
Post-doctoral Fellowship (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2015
Postdoctoral work at UHN has deepened my research expertise and I have gained in-depth knowledge of scientific principles, ethical practices, and professional skills needed for career advancement. I have been fortunate to collaborate with top researchers and clinicians with commitment to innovative research and scientific advancement.
Good work environment
Business Analyst intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 1, 2015
I had the opportunity to work on the UHN lease. It was really challenging because it require more details, attention and there are more contract in more than 100 pages. This opportunity has helped me understand how contracts are treating and the more important how people are working in team. We use to do the brainstorming every time we have a problem to be solve.
Productive Workplace with room for growth, You are constantly being challenged with different aspects of being an Administrator
Administrative Assistant Medical I (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 5, 2014
Very fast paced. I learned to Multi-task and enjoyed working with my Co-workers. The Benefits were fantastic and the Hospital is very diverse both in patients and Staff members.

The hardest part of the job, was being able to stay focused on one item at a time, you had to hit the ground running. Be accurate and efficient as well as pleasant at all times, with our patients.
world leader in Medicine
Technologist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 13, 2014
As one of the world leaders in Medicine, especially in Organ Transplant and Cardiology, UHN has demonstrated its ambition in pioneering in newest technology and practice. Staff members are provided with decent benefit packages and job security. The Wellness Center also is trying very hard in organizing personal and group fitness classes for staff, which are highly appreciated.
Great place
Clinical Fellow, Adult Renal Transplant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 19, 2014
I was responsible to take decisions for renal transplant patients, which helped me develop as a Transplant Physician. I was handling both the inpatients as well as out patients.
This is a tertiary center, where there are lot of patients referred for transplant problems.
I used t be 1st on call for the Multi-Organ Transplant Program which also gave a fair exposure to patients with heart, lung, liver, pancreas transplant.
I also did Kidney -Pancreas transplant out patient clinics.
In my fellowship, we managemed, double renal transplant, highly sensitized patients (with desensitization protocols), ABO incompatible transplant, combined Liver- Kidney transplant patients.
Pros
good place to learn transplant.
Cons
nil
Integrated Clinical System
Clinical Support- Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 25, 2014
The Clinical system at the fracture clinic is a well organized system oriented for patient/doctor relationship. The job requires one to interact in a fast paced environment with the ability to quickly act upon patient requests. This clinic is an up to date system with electronic components to meet up with current day technology and is well implemented. Customer service skills are essential as problems arise in the clinic and the ability to respond in a kind and friendly way is a must when being under pressure. It is a fun environment to work in as the co-workers are always ready to help and make working enjoyable.
Pros
free lunches
Excellent place to work.
Senior Clerk Typist / Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 3, 2012
With a few years experience working within a hospital setting, I developed an extensive amount of work experience within a large medical setting. I have previous work experinece for a few departments. I first started working at The Toronto General Hospital in 1998, Then I ended up working Full time at Toronto Western Hospital until 2004. I loved working for University Health Network. An excellent place to work.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Prefer to focus time and energy on research, including grant applications and paper publications
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 29, 2012
In UHN, working benefits are excellent.

My working tasks are multiple, including collecting original research data, doing statistic analyses, organizing clinical trials, writing papers and research protocols. Recently, I have spent more and more time to help seeing clinic patients. Instructing students is also part of my job.

I hope in my new job, I will spend more time and energy on designing grant applications and organizing research papers.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
too many tasks
Not a good place to work overall, especially if you are a nurse
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto General/WesternFebruary 18, 2013
If you are a nurse, be prepared to deal with a lot of stress. My manager is terrible to say the least. The advanced practice nurses apparently report to directors who are not nurses and have no clue what nurses do. There is also a lot of bullying going on and management tries hard to sweep it under the rug. I have seen a lot of good people leave this place because they were not valued or treated properly.
Pros
a teaching hospital
Cons
work environment is very unpleasant
Fun place to work however career advancement non existant
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 26, 2014
Been there for some time now. The pay rate and benefits are unmatched, however if you are looking for somewhere that encourages and has positions available for personal growth, the size of the department doesn't allow for it. Both the supervisors and Manager have been there for over 15 years and it doesn't look like they are going anywhere soon.
Independent workplace
Research Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 29, 2015
Great workplace with lots of benefits and events. Management depends on what project you are working on. That said, there's no ladder to climb, you have to create your own ladder and negotiate what you are worth.
Overall a good place and company to work for.
Food Service Supervisor, Nutritional Services (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 17, 2013
It is a stable job and the benefits are excellent. I worked with them for about 17 years.

I supervised about 10 to 15 unionised employees at a given time and I enjoy working with people.

The management were good and helpfull.

When staff report sick and replacement was difficult. Unionised workforce and caution was always required because one does not want to regularly deal with union issues, because it will effect productivity.

The challenge to put out the food on time and to constantly look for ways to work smarter productivity increases inspite of this being a union workforce.
Pros
there was free time to complete other work, and always got my lunch and other breaks.
Cons
sometimes long hours and being a workaholic i strive and overwork.
Great work environment, amazing staff (very knowledgeable and helpful)
Volunteer at Surgical Waiting room (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 24, 2014
Working at the surgical waiting room has shown me the some of the greatest things about the Canadian healthcare system. Everything from the competency of the health care providers (such as nurses and doctors) to how helpful and involved the management are makes me proud to be a part of the organization.
A Large Organization
Research Technician II (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 19, 2013
Working environment is lab dependent, because each lab is running by individual Principal Investigator. Overall, I found it is comfortable working in UHN, because there are rules that protecting employee.
Co-workers are friendly and helpful.
However, the job security is not so good because research labs are depending on funding.
a good place to work to, with decent paid
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2014
Doing balance sheet account reconciliation
Taking care of Account recoverable and account payable invoice
Making entries in SAP for assigned cost center
Working on some part of headcount report
Monthly end activities and scorecards reporting
Monthly end journal entries for accrual reconciling

University Health Network Reviews by Location