University Health Network Employee Reviews

good workplace that provides occasional free body massage
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 June 2016
UHN promotes self directed learning true tuition reimbursement. there is good team work. it is a workplace that shows concerns for staff work and life balance
Pros
Tuition subsidies
Cons
Work load increasing
Great people to work with
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 January 2016
Processed reports, dealt with phone calls from clients, referral source, and family physicians

I learned how to deal with strict timelines

Worked closely with clinical staff ie, physiotherapists, occupational therapists and multiple disciplines of physicians

Most of the management team was great to work with

My co-workers for the most part were great

Hardest part of the job was learning to deal with the strict timelines

The most enjoyable part of my job was being thanked by clients for helping them
A great place to work
Research Support - Volunteer position (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2016
I feel fortunate to work in the largest research and teaching institution, collaborating with top researchers and clinicians. I have received support from the staff and management. I have develop skills and gained experience. I have excellent co-workers.
Job security is not good because research depends on funding.
A place to work with full job satisfaction
Dialysis Technician (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 May 2016
Sussex Dialysis Center (UHN) is a large and professional self-care dialysis center with a busy and fun filled environment where nurses and technicians work together for delivering utmost patient care.
Pros
Flexible Work Environment
Independent workplace
Research Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 April 2015
Great workplace with lots of benefits and events. Management depends on what project you are working on. That said, there's no ladder to climb, you have to create your own ladder and negotiate what you are worth.
Productive and excellent place to work
Medical Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 October 2013
Job responsibilities are repetitive. Plenty of paperworks to deal with. Have to be an excellent multitasker to work here.

The most enjoyable part is you get to know and meet people from a different background.
Pros
Good benefits, competitive salary
Cons
Fun place to work however career advancement non existant
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 July 2014
Been there for some time now. The pay rate and benefits are unmatched, however if you are looking for somewhere that encourages and has positions available for personal growth, the size of the department doesn't allow for it. Both the supervisors and Manager have been there for over 15 years and it doesn't look like they are going anywhere soon.
Great place
BUSINESS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 May 2016
It is a great place to get your foot in the door. A lot of young people at UHN. Fun- fast paced environment especially for new graduates.
Productive and supportive work environment with opportunities to grow
Human Resources Intern and Volunteer (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 April 2016
Full-cycle recruitment for Volunteer Resources, delivered bi-monthly training, coordination between two hospitals.
x
Lab Manager (Research Technician IV) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 September 2012
I enjoy working at this company but would like to explore other opportunities.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
some benefits could be better
Nice Environment
Client Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 April 2014
Hardworking teams at both floor and management levels. Structured hours and great benefits.
Summary
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2016
I started volunteering with UHN in Toronto, Ontario, Canada since November 2015. I decided to volunteer as I recently graduated from Medical school and looking to avail my time until residency starts. I help provide cardiac support and also, volunteer recruiting patients for an ongoing cardiac research study in Toronto General Hospital. Everyone is very pleasant.
Exciting and challenging work environment
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kuwait24 August 2015
Dynamic work environment requiring flexibility and adaptability. Great team culture. Working with different cultures is a way to learn how to be flexible and patient. A great learning opportunity about healthcare, project management and time management.
Great Experience
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  toronto7 October 2015
Fun work place with supportive management.
You develop skills and get a lot of experience.
Politics are very soft and no difficulties in resolving any issues.
Uhn
RN (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 December 2015
I am currently working there and seeking new opportunities.
In the acute care hospital setting I've learned to stay calm and work on my feet as it can become very busy. Despite the fast paced environment, I've continued to practice safe client centered care based on hospital protocols and CNO standards.
Not fun
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 June 2012
A typical day included in-vivo testing of drug formulations used to prevent or reduce the onset of Parkinson's Disease or symptoms produced from the use of levodopa.

Unfortunately the PI for this position was not very well involved with the technicians on hand. It was not clear the direction to which the research was heading.

The senior scientists lacked any management expertise which left for an uncomfortable work environment.

UHN has a two year maximum for contract positions leading to a high turnover of staff to reduce potential costs that would be incurred by a full time permanent worker. While I do not fault UHN for the hiring practices, they do not provide any protection or ability for growth for their contract employees.
Pros
developed experience in in-vivo, database design, behavioural analysis and pharmaceutical drug testing.
Cons
very poor management.
I always forward to working with my members and staff.
Personal Trainer/Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  585 University Ave, Toronto, ON.19 October 2015
I do enjoy working for Uhn, however, I am a contract worker. That said, they can only provide a certain amount of hours do to budget constraints. As the wellness program grows I am confident that more work will arise too.
Pros
Helping health care proffesionals who give so much of them selves helping others.
Cons
Not enough hours at present.
Challenging and rewarding work environment.
Nuclear Technologist, Cardiology (Former Employee) –  Toronto13 May 2015
Dealing with challenging cardiac patients there were a lot of learning opportunities. UHN allowed for professional development and provided an excellent environment to learn new diagnostic procedures for example CT and calcium scoring. Worked with cooperative,fun and professional staff . I learned to prioritize and organize in a very busy environment as well as attain excellent communication skills.
Pros
Learrning opportunities and cutting edge technology.
Cons
inconsistencies when patients arrived very late, early or on wrong day
Company overall is good
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 November 2015
Overall, it is a good company. However, the fusion of phones and paperwork collide and there is no full-time position available (i.e. 9-5, 8-4) without weekends.
Good workplace
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 October 2015
Good working conditions
Fast pace evironment
received a lot of experience
good management
very versatile
enjoyable work
the heart of scientific community

University Health Network Reviews by Location