University Health Network

University Health Network Employee Reviews in Canada

Good employer, few opportunities for advancement
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 2, 2016
Healthcare is a difficult world to advance in because the academic qualifications for advancement from administrative to policy-related work are very steep. If you like people, I recommend a clinical setting for administrative work (ie appointment scheduler) over general administration, which can be tedious and very dull.
Pros
Good benefits, good location (downtown Toronto)
Cons
Few opportunities to advance beyond admin assistant level
A great place to work
Research Support - Volunteer position (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 4, 2016
I feel fortunate to work in the largest research and teaching institution, collaborating with top researchers and clinicians. I have received support from the staff and management. I have develop skills and gained experience. I have excellent co-workers.
Job security is not good because research depends on funding.
Great people to work with
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 18, 2016
Processed reports, dealt with phone calls from clients, referral source, and family physicians

I learned how to deal with strict timelines

Worked closely with clinical staff ie, physiotherapists, occupational therapists and multiple disciplines of physicians

Most of the management team was great to work with

My co-workers for the most part were great

Hardest part of the job was learning to deal with the strict timelines

The most enjoyable part of my job was being thanked by clients for helping them
Busy work environment within a busy city.
Facilities Manager/Chief Engineer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioApril 26, 2015
The organization is quite respectable and the work is a busy work environment. The biggest challenge is the cost of living in or near Toronto. The job doesn't pay what one might expect working in Toronto. The salary is comparable to areas such as Hamilton, Brantford, Niagara where the cost of living is quite affordable. The only option is to commute where this option take both time and money to do.The job is great. The location is the challenge.
Pros
Great organization
Cons
The cost of living in Toronto
Not a good place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  TorontoMay 20, 2016
- Policies are not followed by management but management is not held accountable or reprimanded for breaches in policy
- Abuse of staff who are too afraid to say anything
- If you don't like being bullied look somewhere else to work
- speak up and everything will get twisted and you will be targeted
Pros
Met some good people
Cons
low pay, dishonest people in leadership roles, bullying.
A place to work with full job satisfaction
Dialysis Technician (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 18, 2016
Sussex Dialysis Center (UHN) is a large and professional self-care dialysis center with a busy and fun filled environment where nurses and technicians work together for delivering utmost patient care.
Pros
Flexible Work Environment
good workplace that provides occasional free body massage
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 3, 2016
UHN promotes self directed learning true tuition reimbursement. there is good team work. it is a workplace that shows concerns for staff work and life balance
Pros
Tuition subsidies
Cons
Work load increasing
The Healthcare Giant
Manager, Facilities (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 4, 2016
Such a huge organization, it is easy to feel insignificant. My Director was amazing as well as my VP. The management teams are super smart and very approachable. HR has demonstrated their lack of grit.
Pros
Exposure
Cons
Weak HR Support
Independent workplace
Research Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 29, 2015
Great workplace with lots of benefits and events. Management depends on what project you are working on. That said, there's no ladder to climb, you have to create your own ladder and negotiate what you are worth.
Grerat place to work
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 24, 2016
good people, dedicated management, high stress. Very fast pace and rewarding work.
Working in Healthcare provides a chance to contribute to a greater good.
Pros
continous learning
Cons
high stress
Productive and supportive work environment with opportunities to grow
Human Resources Intern and Volunteer (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 10, 2016
Full-cycle recruitment for Volunteer Resources, delivered bi-monthly training, coordination between two hospitals.
Overall a good place and company to work for.
Food Service Supervisor, Nutritional Services (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 17, 2013
It is a stable job and the benefits are excellent. I worked with them for about 17 years.

I supervised about 10 to 15 unionised employees at a given time and I enjoy working with people.

The management were good and helpfull.

When staff report sick and replacement was difficult. Unionised workforce and caution was always required because one does not want to regularly deal with union issues, because it will effect productivity.

The challenge to put out the food on time and to constantly look for ways to work smarter productivity increases inspite of this being a union workforce.
Pros
there was free time to complete other work, and always got my lunch and other breaks.
Cons
sometimes long hours and being a workaholic i strive and overwork.
Summary
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 4, 2016
I started volunteering with UHN in Toronto, Ontario, Canada since November 2015. I decided to volunteer as I recently graduated from Medical school and looking to avail my time until residency starts. I help provide cardiac support and also, volunteer recruiting patients for an ongoing cardiac research study in Toronto General Hospital. Everyone is very pleasant.
Great place
BUSINESS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 18, 2016
It is a great place to get your foot in the door. A lot of young people at UHN. Fun- fast paced environment especially for new graduates.
Productive Workplace with room for growth, You are constantly being challenged with different aspects of being an Administrator
Administrative Assistant Medical I (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 5, 2014
Very fast paced. I learned to Multi-task and enjoyed working with my Co-workers. The Benefits were fantastic and the Hospital is very diverse both in patients and Staff members.

The hardest part of the job, was being able to stay focused on one item at a time, you had to hit the ground running. Be accurate and efficient as well as pleasant at all times, with our patients.
Exciting and challenging work environment
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  KuwaitAugust 24, 2015
Dynamic work environment requiring flexibility and adaptability. Great team culture. Working with different cultures is a way to learn how to be flexible and patient. A great learning opportunity about healthcare, project management and time management.
Uhn
RN (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 20, 2015
I am currently working there and seeking new opportunities.
In the acute care hospital setting I've learned to stay calm and work on my feet as it can become very busy. Despite the fast paced environment, I've continued to practice safe client centered care based on hospital protocols and CNO standards.
Great Experience
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  torontoOctober 7, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management.
You develop skills and get a lot of experience.
Politics are very soft and no difficulties in resolving any issues.
I always forward to working with my members and staff.
Personal Trainer/Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  585 University Ave, Toronto, ON.October 19, 2015
I do enjoy working for Uhn, however, I am a contract worker. That said, they can only provide a certain amount of hours do to budget constraints. As the wellness program grows I am confident that more work will arise too.
Pros
Helping health care proffesionals who give so much of them selves helping others.
Cons
Not enough hours at present.
Prefer to focus time and energy on research, including grant applications and paper publications
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 29, 2012
In UHN, working benefits are excellent.

My working tasks are multiple, including collecting original research data, doing statistic analyses, organizing clinical trials, writing papers and research protocols. Recently, I have spent more and more time to help seeing clinic patients. Instructing students is also part of my job.

I hope in my new job, I will spend more time and energy on designing grant applications and organizing research papers.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
too many tasks