University Health Network

University Health Network Employee Reviews

Operations Work
Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto,March 3, 2013
 Ensure all regular scheduled operations support tasks and functions are carried out effectively and efficiently for all users of Production and Development Systems.
 Ensure all supported systems are operating within normal parameters, being monitored appropriately, and preventative action is taken according to defined operational strategies, procedures and policies.
 Manage/maintain daily, Weekly, Monthly and yearly backup.
 Co-ordinate between vendor/users and support to finalize the schedule.
 Provide an excellent level of customer support for service requests, job requests, to ensure on-site support, quality assurance and resolve problems.
 Maintain records of jobs, equipment malfunctions and other issues and initiate action within assigned authority to resolve issues and minimize system downtime.
 Create and maintain all operation documentations, procedures, and schedules to ensure the accurate execution of all scheduled and requested batch jobs
 Implement and maintain the operating and production process environment to ensure that service levels are maintained, and all operational issues are tracked and resolved efficiently.
 Process jobs through completion according to assigned schedules to ensure that all jobs scheduled for a particular time frame are accurately executed.
 Monitor all servers according to specifications, troubleshooting alerts and escalating to support as required when hardware/software failure demands immediate action.
 Involved in various projects concerning collection and submission of operational requirements including backup tapes and
  more... hardware inventory.
 Run and monitor batch and print processing; printing and distribution of reports.
 Performed IPL and shutdown for systems and network servers as per schedule.

Comment – March 19, 2013

An institution that rewards positive results, hard work, loyalty and enhancement of skills and knowledge

Productive and enjoyable workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 30, 2015
At UHN I was a volunteer and I specifically asked my guidance councillor at Medix College to place me there. There were only two positions available that went to the top candidate in each class. Thankfully because of my excellent grades I was chosen. I would register patients for their venipuncture which I found to be one of my favourite things to do at the hospital. I ensured that they had their right to confidentiality and the best customer service to make the process easy and their day a little better. I also would sort and organize lab equipment in the Hematology Department, organize pathology slides and incoming pathology specimens for the Pathologists to review in the Pathology Department. Administrative duties were also given to me in the Pathology Department, i.e. sorting the doctors' mail. Management was excellent, everyone showed the volunteers exactly what to do and then we worked on our own but management was always available to us in case we needed to ask questions. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was knowing I was doing something to better the service people were getting in the healthcare organization. The hardest part of the job was wanting to do more and practicing the skills I learned in the Medical Laboratory Technician program but because I was only a volunteer I was not able to, due to certain laws and regulations.
Pros
Being able to work in such an incredible healthcare organization
Cons
Not being able to exercise all the skills I learned in school
Not fun
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 18, 2012
A typical day included in-vivo testing of drug formulations used to prevent or reduce the onset of Parkinson's Disease or symptoms produced from the use of levodopa.

Unfortunately the PI for this position was not very well involved with the technicians on hand. It was not clear the direction to which the research was heading.

The senior scientists lacked any management expertise which left for an uncomfortable work environment.

UHN has a two year maximum for contract positions leading to a high turnover of staff to reduce potential costs that would be incurred by a full time permanent worker. While I do not fault UHN for the hiring practices, they do not provide any protection or ability for growth for their contract employees.
Pros
developed experience in in-vivo, database design, behavioural analysis and pharmaceutical drug testing.
Cons
very poor management.
Overall a good place and company to work for.
Food Service Supervisor, Nutritional Services (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 17, 2013
It is a stable job and the benefits are excellent. I worked with them for about 17 years.

I supervised about 10 to 15 unionised employees at a given time and I enjoy working with people.

The management were good and helpfull.

When staff report sick and replacement was difficult. Unionised workforce and caution was always required because one does not want to regularly deal with union issues, because it will effect productivity.

The challenge to put out the food on time and to constantly look for ways to work smarter productivity increases inspite of this being a union workforce.
Pros
there was free time to complete other work, and always got my lunch and other breaks.
Cons
sometimes long hours and being a workaholic i strive and overwork.
Great place
Clinical Fellow, Adult Renal Transplant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 19, 2014
I was responsible to take decisions for renal transplant patients, which helped me develop as a Transplant Physician. I was handling both the inpatients as well as out patients.
This is a tertiary center, where there are lot of patients referred for transplant problems.
I used t be 1st on call for the Multi-Organ Transplant Program which also gave a fair exposure to patients with heart, lung, liver, pancreas transplant.
I also did Kidney -Pancreas transplant out patient clinics.
In my fellowship, we managemed, double renal transplant, highly sensitized patients (with desensitization protocols), ABO incompatible transplant, combined Liver- Kidney transplant patients.
Pros
good place to learn transplant.
Cons
nil
Integrated Clinical System
Clinical Support- Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 25, 2014
The Clinical system at the fracture clinic is a well organized system oriented for patient/doctor relationship. The job requires one to interact in a fast paced environment with the ability to quickly act upon patient requests. This clinic is an up to date system with electronic components to meet up with current day technology and is well implemented. Customer service skills are essential as problems arise in the clinic and the ability to respond in a kind and friendly way is a must when being under pressure. It is a fun environment to work in as the co-workers are always ready to help and make working enjoyable.
Pros
free lunches
Challenging and rewarding work environment.
Nuclear Technologist, Cardiology (Former Employee) –  TorontoMay 13, 2015
Dealing with challenging cardiac patients there were a lot of learning opportunities. UHN allowed for professional development and provided an excellent environment to learn new diagnostic procedures for example CT and calcium scoring. Worked with cooperative,fun and professional staff . I learned to prioritize and organize in a very busy environment as well as attain excellent communication skills.
Pros
Learrning opportunities and cutting edge technology.
Cons
inconsistencies when patients arrived very late, early or on wrong day
Prefer to focus time and energy on research, including grant applications and paper publications
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 29, 2012
In UHN, working benefits are excellent.

My working tasks are multiple, including collecting original research data, doing statistic analyses, organizing clinical trials, writing papers and research protocols. Recently, I have spent more and more time to help seeing clinic patients. Instructing students is also part of my job.

I hope in my new job, I will spend more time and energy on designing grant applications and organizing research papers.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
too many tasks
Great people to work with
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 18, 2016
Processed reports, dealt with phone calls from clients, referral source, and family physicians

I learned how to deal with strict timelines

Worked closely with clinical staff ie, physiotherapists, occupational therapists and multiple disciplines of physicians

Most of the management team was great to work with

My co-workers for the most part were great

Hardest part of the job was learning to deal with the strict timelines

The most enjoyable part of my job was being thanked by clients for helping them
Busy work environment within a busy city.
Facilities Manager/Chief Engineer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioApril 26, 2015
The organization is quite respectable and the work is a busy work environment. The biggest challenge is the cost of living in or near Toronto. The job doesn't pay what one might expect working in Toronto. The salary is comparable to areas such as Hamilton, Brantford, Niagara where the cost of living is quite affordable. The only option is to commute where this option take both time and money to do.The job is great. The location is the challenge.
Pros
Great organization
Cons
The cost of living in Toronto
Productive Workplace with room for growth, You are constantly being challenged with different aspects of being an Administrator
Administrative Assistant Medical I (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 5, 2014
Very fast paced. I learned to Multi-task and enjoyed working with my Co-workers. The Benefits were fantastic and the Hospital is very diverse both in patients and Staff members.

The hardest part of the job, was being able to stay focused on one item at a time, you had to hit the ground running. Be accurate and efficient as well as pleasant at all times, with our patients.
Not a good place to work overall, especially if you are a nurse
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto General/WesternFebruary 18, 2013
If you are a nurse, be prepared to deal with a lot of stress. My manager is terrible to say the least. The advanced practice nurses apparently report to directors who are not nurses and have no clue what nurses do. There is also a lot of bullying going on and management tries hard to sweep it under the rug. I have seen a lot of good people leave this place because they were not valued or treated properly.
Pros
a teaching hospital
Cons
work environment is very unpleasant
Good employer, few opportunities for advancement
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 2, 2016
Healthcare is a difficult world to advance in because the academic qualifications for advancement from administrative to policy-related work are very steep. If you like people, I recommend a clinical setting for administrative work (ie appointment scheduler) over general administration, which can be tedious and very dull.
Pros
Good benefits, good location (downtown Toronto)
Cons
Few opportunities to advance beyond admin assistant level
Excellent place to work.
Senior Clerk Typist / Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 3, 2012
With a few years experience working within a hospital setting, I developed an extensive amount of work experience within a large medical setting. I have previous work experinece for a few departments. I first started working at The Toronto General Hospital in 1998, Then I ended up working Full time at Toronto Western Hospital until 2004. I loved working for University Health Network. An excellent place to work.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Top-tier research institution and amazing people to learn from
Post-doctoral Fellowship (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2015
Postdoctoral work at UHN has deepened my research expertise and I have gained in-depth knowledge of scientific principles, ethical practices, and professional skills needed for career advancement. I have been fortunate to collaborate with top researchers and clinicians with commitment to innovative research and scientific advancement.
world leader in Medicine
Technologist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 13, 2014
As one of the world leaders in Medicine, especially in Organ Transplant and Cardiology, UHN has demonstrated its ambition in pioneering in newest technology and practice. Staff members are provided with decent benefit packages and job security. The Wellness Center also is trying very hard in organizing personal and group fitness classes for staff, which are highly appreciated.
Fun place to work however career advancement non existant
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 26, 2014
Been there for some time now. The pay rate and benefits are unmatched, however if you are looking for somewhere that encourages and has positions available for personal growth, the size of the department doesn't allow for it. Both the supervisors and Manager have been there for over 15 years and it doesn't look like they are going anywhere soon.
I always forward to working with my members and staff.
Personal Trainer/Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  585 University Ave, Toronto, ON.October 19, 2015
I do enjoy working for Uhn, however, I am a contract worker. That said, they can only provide a certain amount of hours do to budget constraints. As the wellness program grows I am confident that more work will arise too.
Pros
Helping health care proffesionals who give so much of them selves helping others.
Cons
Not enough hours at present.
Great work environment, amazing staff (very knowledgeable and helpful)
Volunteer at Surgical Waiting room (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 24, 2014
Working at the surgical waiting room has shown me the some of the greatest things about the Canadian healthcare system. Everything from the competency of the health care providers (such as nurses and doctors) to how helpful and involved the management are makes me proud to be a part of the organization.
Good work environment
Business Analyst intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 1, 2015
I had the opportunity to work on the UHN lease. It was really challenging because it require more details, attention and there are more contract in more than 100 pages. This opportunity has helped me understand how contracts are treating and the more important how people are working in team. We use to do the brainstorming every time we have a problem to be solve.