University Health Network

University Health Network Employee Reviews in Canada

Not a good place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  TorontoMay 20, 2016
- Policies are not followed by management but management is not held accountable or reprimanded for breaches in policy
- Abuse of staff who are too afraid to say anything
- If you don't like being bullied look somewhere else to work
- speak up and everything will get twisted and you will be targeted
Pros
Met some good people
Cons
low pay, dishonest people in leadership roles, bullying.
Great people to work with
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 18, 2016
Processed reports, dealt with phone calls from clients, referral source, and family physicians

I learned how to deal with strict timelines

Worked closely with clinical staff ie, physiotherapists, occupational therapists and multiple disciplines of physicians

Most of the management team was great to work with

My co-workers for the most part were great

Hardest part of the job was learning to deal with the strict timelines

The most enjoyable part of my job was being thanked by clients for helping them
Good employer, few opportunities for advancement
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 2, 2016
Healthcare is a difficult world to advance in because the academic qualifications for advancement from administrative to policy-related work are very steep. If you like people, I recommend a clinical setting for administrative work (ie appointment scheduler) over general administration, which can be tedious and very dull.
Pros
Good benefits, good location (downtown Toronto)
Cons
Few opportunities to advance beyond admin assistant level
Summary
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 4, 2016
I started volunteering with UHN in Toronto, Ontario, Canada since November 2015. I decided to volunteer as I recently graduated from Medical school and looking to avail my time until residency starts. I help provide cardiac support and also, volunteer recruiting patients for an ongoing cardiac research study in Toronto General Hospital. Everyone is very pleasant.
A great place to work
Research Support - Volunteer position (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 4, 2016
I feel fortunate to work in the largest research and teaching institution, collaborating with top researchers and clinicians. I have received support from the staff and management. I have develop skills and gained experience. I have excellent co-workers.
Job security is not good because research depends on funding.
The Healthcare Giant
Manager, Facilities (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 4, 2016
Such a huge organization, it is easy to feel insignificant. My Director was amazing as well as my VP. The management teams are super smart and very approachable. HR has demonstrated their lack of grit.
Pros
Exposure
Cons
Weak HR Support
Productive and supportive work environment with opportunities to grow
Human Resources Intern and Volunteer (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 10, 2016
Full-cycle recruitment for Volunteer Resources, delivered bi-monthly training, coordination between two hospitals.
Uhn
RN (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 20, 2015
I am currently working there and seeking new opportunities.
In the acute care hospital setting I've learned to stay calm and work on my feet as it can become very busy. Despite the fast paced environment, I've continued to practice safe client centered care based on hospital protocols and CNO standards.
I always forward to working with my members and staff.
Personal Trainer/Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  585 University Ave, Toronto, ON.October 19, 2015
I do enjoy working for Uhn, however, I am a contract worker. That said, they can only provide a certain amount of hours do to budget constraints. As the wellness program grows I am confident that more work will arise too.
Pros
Helping health care proffesionals who give so much of them selves helping others.
Cons
Not enough hours at present.
Great place
BUSINESS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 18, 2016
It is a great place to get your foot in the door. A lot of young people at UHN. Fun- fast paced environment especially for new graduates.
always feel comfortable to express any views on anything regarding job and workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 21, 2015
- the most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you have helped someone (the patients).
- I have always felt I was a good fit at UHN because everyone I have met definitely seems to be there for the patients
Company overall is good
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 25, 2015
Overall, it is a good company. However, the fusion of phones and paperwork collide and there is no full-time position available (i.e. 9-5, 8-4) without weekends.
Exciting and challenging work environment
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  KuwaitAugust 24, 2015
Dynamic work environment requiring flexibility and adaptability. Great team culture. Working with different cultures is a way to learn how to be flexible and patient. A great learning opportunity about healthcare, project management and time management.
Good workplace
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 2, 2015
Good working conditions
Fast pace evironment
received a lot of experience
good management
very versatile
enjoyable work
the heart of scientific community
Great Experience
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  torontoOctober 7, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management.
You develop skills and get a lot of experience.
Politics are very soft and no difficulties in resolving any issues.
Challenging and rewarding work environment.
Nuclear Technologist, Cardiology (Former Employee) –  TorontoMay 13, 2015
Dealing with challenging cardiac patients there were a lot of learning opportunities. UHN allowed for professional development and provided an excellent environment to learn new diagnostic procedures for example CT and calcium scoring. Worked with cooperative,fun and professional staff . I learned to prioritize and organize in a very busy environment as well as attain excellent communication skills.
Pros
Learrning opportunities and cutting edge technology.
Cons
inconsistencies when patients arrived very late, early or on wrong day
Stressful, Fast Paced, Healthcare
HRIS Business Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 27, 2015
What can you say about Canada's largest research and teaching hospital? It's busy. Healthcare is a non stop business operating 24/7 It's not for everyone.

You just never know what your day will bring.
Busy work environment within a busy city.
Facilities Manager/Chief Engineer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioApril 26, 2015
The organization is quite respectable and the work is a busy work environment. The biggest challenge is the cost of living in or near Toronto. The job doesn't pay what one might expect working in Toronto. The salary is comparable to areas such as Hamilton, Brantford, Niagara where the cost of living is quite affordable. The only option is to commute where this option take both time and money to do.The job is great. The location is the challenge.
Pros
Great organization
Cons
The cost of living in Toronto
Top-tier research institution and amazing people to learn from
Post-doctoral Fellowship (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2015
Postdoctoral work at UHN has deepened my research expertise and I have gained in-depth knowledge of scientific principles, ethical practices, and professional skills needed for career advancement. I have been fortunate to collaborate with top researchers and clinicians with commitment to innovative research and scientific advancement.
Good work environment
Business Analyst intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 1, 2015
I had the opportunity to work on the UHN lease. It was really challenging because it require more details, attention and there are more contract in more than 100 pages. This opportunity has helped me understand how contracts are treating and the more important how people are working in team. We use to do the brainstorming every time we have a problem to be solve.