University Health Network

University Health Network Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Summary
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 4, 2016
I started volunteering with UHN in Toronto, Ontario, Canada since November 2015. I decided to volunteer as I recently graduated from Medical school and looking to avail my time until residency starts. I help provide cardiac support and also, volunteer recruiting patients for an ongoing cardiac research study in Toronto General Hospital. Everyone is very pleasant.
A great place to work
Research Support - Volunteer position (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 4, 2016
I feel fortunate to work in the largest research and teaching institution, collaborating with top researchers and clinicians. I have received support from the staff and management. I have develop skills and gained experience. I have excellent co-workers.
Job security is not good because research depends on funding.
Good employer, few opportunities for advancement
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 2, 2016
Pros: Good benefits, good location (downtown Toronto)
Cons: Few opportunities to advance beyond admin assistant level
Healthcare is a difficult world to advance in because the academic qualifications for advancement from administrative to policy-related work are very steep. If you like people, I recommend a clinical setting for administrative work (ie appointment scheduler) over general administration, which can be tedious and very dull.
Uhn
RN (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 20, 2015
I am currently working there and seeking new opportunities.
In the acute care hospital setting I've learned to stay calm and work on my feet as it can become very busy. Despite the fast paced environment, I've continued to practice safe client centered care based on hospital protocols and CNO standards.
Company overall is good
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 25, 2015
Overall, it is a good company. However, the fusion of phones and paperwork collide and there is no full-time position available (i.e. 9-5, 8-4) without weekends.
always feel comfortable to express any views on anything regarding job and workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 21, 2015
- the most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you have helped someone (the patients).
- I have always felt I was a good fit at UHN because everyone I have met definitely seems to be there for the patients
I always forward to working with my members and staff.
Personal Trainer/Fitness Instructor (Current Employee), 585 University Ave, Toronto, ON.October 19, 2015
Pros: Helping health care proffesionals who give so much of them selves helping others.
Cons: Not enough hours at present.
I do enjoy working for Uhn, however, I am a contract worker. That said, they can only provide a certain amount of hours do to budget constraints. As the wellness program grows I am confident that more work will arise too.
Great Experience
Project Analyst (Former Employee), torontoOctober 7, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management.
You develop skills and get a lot of experience.
Politics are very soft and no difficulties in resolving any issues.
Good workplace
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 2, 2015
Good working conditions
Fast pace evironment
received a lot of experience
good management
very versatile
enjoyable work
the heart of scientific community
Exciting and challenging work environment
Project Coordinator (Current Employee), KuwaitAugust 24, 2015
Dynamic work environment requiring flexibility and adaptability. Great team culture. Working with different cultures is a way to learn how to be flexible and patient. A great learning opportunity about healthcare, project management and time management.
Stressful, Fast Paced, Healthcare
HRIS Business Analyst III (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 27, 2015
What can you say about Canada's largest research and teaching hospital? It's busy. Healthcare is a non stop business operating 24/7 It's not for everyone.

You just never know what your day will bring.
Challenging and rewarding work environment.
Nuclear Technologist, Cardiology (Former Employee), TorontoMay 13, 2015
Pros: Learrning opportunities and cutting edge technology.
Cons: inconsistencies when patients arrived very late, early or on wrong day
Dealing with challenging cardiac patients there were a lot of learning opportunities. UHN allowed for professional development and provided an excellent environment to learn new diagnostic procedures for example CT and calcium scoring. Worked with cooperative,fun and professional staff . I learned to prioritize and organize in a very busy environment as well as attain excellent communication skills.
Less room for advancement
Adm Asst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 4, 2015
- Good colleagues
- Pay is OK
- Management isn't the best, could be better
- Hard to move up
- Too much red tape
- Nice location to work
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 30, 2015
Pros: Being able to work in such an incredible healthcare organization
Cons: Not being able to exercise all the skills I learned in school
At UHN I was a volunteer and I specifically asked my guidance councillor at Medix College to place me there. There were only two positions available that went to the top candidate in each class. Thankfully because of my excellent grades I was chosen. I would register patients for their venipuncture which I found to be one of my favourite things to do at the hospital. I ensured that they had their right to confidentiality and the best customer service to make the process easy and their day a little better. I also would sort and organize lab equipment in the Hematology Department, organize pathology slides and incoming pathology specimens for the Pathologists to review in the Pathology Department. Administrative duties were also given to me in the Pathology Department, i.e. sorting the doctors' mail. Management was excellent, everyone showed the volunteers exactly what to do and then we worked on our own but management was always available to us in case we needed to ask questions. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was knowing I was doing something to better the service people were getting in the healthcare organization. The hardest part of the job was wanting to do more and practicing the skills I learned in the Medical Laboratory Technician program but because I was only a volunteer I was not able to, due to certain laws and regulations.
Independent workplace
Research Analyst I (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 29, 2015
Great workplace with lots of benefits and events. Management depends on what project you are working on. That said, there's no ladder to climb, you have to create your own ladder and negotiate what you are worth.
IT is a very secondary consideration in a hospital
Systems Engineer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 29, 2015
IT is a very secondary consideration in a hospital. We get the worst offices. Nurses on their First day of their career make more than us.
Busy work environment within a busy city.
Facilities Manager/Chief Engineer (Current Employee), Toronto, OntarioApril 26, 2015
Pros: Great organization
Cons: The cost of living in Toronto
The organization is quite respectable and the work is a busy work environment. The biggest challenge is the cost of living in or near Toronto. The job doesn't pay what one might expect working in Toronto. The salary is comparable to areas such as Hamilton, Brantford, Niagara where the cost of living is quite affordable. The only option is to commute where this option take both time and money to do.The job is great. The location is the challenge.
Top-tier research institution and amazing people to learn from
Post-doctoral Fellowship (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2015
Postdoctoral work at UHN has deepened my research expertise and I have gained in-depth knowledge of scientific principles, ethical practices, and professional skills needed for career advancement. I have been fortunate to collaborate with top researchers and clinicians with commitment to innovative research and scientific advancement.
Good work environment
Business Analyst intern (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 1, 2015
I had the opportunity to work on the UHN lease. It was really challenging because it require more details, attention and there are more contract in more than 100 pages. This opportunity has helped me understand how contracts are treating and the more important how people are working in team. We use to do the brainstorming every time we have a problem to be solve.
Productive challenging atmosphere
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 8, 2015
Great place to be. Learned a lot. Day is usually busy non stop with occasional breaks. My immediate coworkers were enjoyable to work with. I enjoyed everything about the job.
Headquarters