University Health Network

University Health Network Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Stressful, Fast Paced, Healthcare
HRIS Business Analyst III (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 27, 2015
What can you say about Canada's largest research and teaching hospital? It's busy. Healthcare is a non stop business operating 24/7 It's not for everyone.

You just never know what your day will bring.
Challenging and rewarding work environment.
Nuclear Technologist, Cardiology (Former Employee), TorontoMay 13, 2015
Pros: Learrning opportunities and cutting edge technology.
Cons: inconsistencies when patients arrived very late, early or on wrong day
Dealing with challenging cardiac patients there were a lot of learning opportunities. UHN allowed for professional development and provided an excellent environment to learn new diagnostic procedures for example CT and calcium scoring. Worked with cooperative,fun and professional staff . I learned to prioritize and organize in a very busy environment as well as attain excellent communication skills.
Less room for advancement
Adm Asst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 4, 2015
- Good colleagues
- Pay is OK
- Management isn't the best, could be better
- Hard to move up
- Too much red tape
- Nice location to work
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 30, 2015
Pros: Being able to work in such an incredible healthcare organization
Cons: Not being able to exercise all the skills I learned in school
At UHN I was a volunteer and I specifically asked my guidance councillor at Medix College to place me there. There were only two positions available that went to the top candidate in each class. Thankfully because of my excellent grades I was chosen. I would register patients for their venipuncture which I found to be one of my favourite things to do at the hospital. I ensured that they had their right – more... to confidentiality and the best customer service to make the process easy and their day a little better. I also would sort and organize lab equipment in the Hematology Department, organize pathology slides and incoming pathology specimens for the Pathologists to review in the Pathology Department. Administrative duties were also given to me in the Pathology Department, i.e. sorting the doctors' mail. Management was excellent, everyone showed the volunteers exactly what to do and then we worked on our own but management was always available to us in case we needed to ask questions. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was knowing I was doing something to better the service people were getting in the healthcare organization. The hardest part of the job was wanting to do more and practicing the skills I learned in the Medical Laboratory Technician program but because I was only a volunteer I was not able to, due to certain laws and regulations. – less
Independent workplace
Research Analyst I (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 29, 2015
Great workplace with lots of benefits and events. Management depends on what project you are working on. That said, there's no ladder to climb, you have to create your own ladder and negotiate what you are worth.
IT is a very secondary consideration in a hospital
Systems Engineer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 29, 2015
IT is a very secondary consideration in a hospital. We get the worst offices. Nurses on their First day of their career make more than us.
Busy work environment within a busy city.
Facilities Manager/Chief Engineer (Current Employee), Toronto, OntarioApril 26, 2015
Pros: Great organization
Cons: The cost of living in Toronto
The organization is quite respectable and the work is a busy work environment. The biggest challenge is the cost of living in or near Toronto. The job doesn't pay what one might expect working in Toronto. The salary is comparable to areas such as Hamilton, Brantford, Niagara where the cost of living is quite affordable. The only option is to commute where this option take both time and money to do.The job is great. The location is the challenge.
Top-tier research institution and amazing people to learn from
Post-doctoral Fellowship (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2015
Postdoctoral work at UHN has deepened my research expertise and I have gained in-depth knowledge of scientific principles, ethical practices, and professional skills needed for career advancement. I have been fortunate to collaborate with top researchers and clinicians with commitment to innovative research and scientific advancement.
Good work environment
Business Analyst intern (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 1, 2015
I had the opportunity to work on the UHN lease. It was really challenging because it require more details, attention and there are more contract in more than 100 pages. This opportunity has helped me understand how contracts are treating and the more important how people are working in team. We use to do the brainstorming every time we have a problem to be solve.
Productive challenging atmosphere
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 8, 2015
Great place to be. Learned a lot. Day is usually busy non stop with occasional breaks. My immediate coworkers were enjoyable to work with. I enjoyed everything about the job.
Productive Workplace with room for growth, You are constantly being challenged with different aspects of being an Administrator
Administrative Assistant Medical I (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 5, 2014
Very fast paced. I learned to Multi-task and enjoyed working with my Co-workers. The Benefits were fantastic and the Hospital is very diverse both in patients and Staff members.

The hardest part of the job, was being able to stay focused on one item at a time, you had to hit the ground running. Be accurate and efficient as well as pleasant at all times, with our patients.
Overall is a good place to work
Database analyst (Current Employee), Toronto Downtown,November 10, 2014
Overall is a good place to work even job security is not very good.
Learned many clinical data related experiences.
Positive work environment
Senior Analyst - End user Solutions (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 8, 2014
Positive work environment
valuable experience
highly skilled environment
innovative
Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2014
UHN is non profile organization... It's really to work over here.
Practice Firm
Senior Analyst (.Net) (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 5, 2014
Helped to get acquainted with Canadian job market. Its good for the new comer in Canada
world leader in Medicine
Technologist (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 13, 2014
As one of the world leaders in Medicine, especially in Organ Transplant and Cardiology, UHN has demonstrated its ambition in pioneering in newest technology and practice. Staff members are provided with decent benefit packages and job security. The Wellness Center also is trying very hard in organizing personal and group fitness classes for staff, which are highly appreciated.
Great place to start your career
Research Technician II/ Lab Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 16, 2014
I learnt management skills as well as I polished my molecular biology and cell biology techniques.
Good overall
Pathologist Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 4, 2014
Good co-workers
Good Management
Good teaching opportunity
Good overall
Fun place to work however career advancement non existant
Security Officer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 26, 2014
Been there for some time now. The pay rate and benefits are unmatched, however if you are looking for somewhere that encourages and has positions available for personal growth, the size of the department doesn't allow for it. Both the supervisors and Manager have been there for over 15 years and it doesn't look like they are going anywhere soon.
Never a dull moment
Anesthersia OR - RT (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 19, 2014
Pros: great place to learn
Cons: high stress
Working in anesthesia was a new experience. There was so much to learn and everyone was very helpful.
Headquarters