UnitedHealth Group
1,487 reviews

UnitedHealth Group Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Quality Assurance Tester (Current Employee), Toronto,ONAugust 8, 2014
Bell is one of the largest telecom company in Canada.
Worked as a backend tester.
great work environment
Product Support Analyst (Current Employee), phillipinesMay 29, 2014
open-door policy
good personnel
conducive work environment
Many perks and they value their employee
Senior Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Mckinley Hill, Taguig CityDecember 26, 2013
Pros: recreation rooms and free meals :)
In this company you can feel the company's care and concern to their employees. They provide everything that their employee needs. The company offers many opportunity for they are still expanding.
not a good work environment
Medical Coding Auditor (Former Employee), Franklin, TNSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: remote positon
Cons: pay not worth the negative suporvisors
no chance for advancement
poor communication from managers
only negative feedback
EXTREME STRESS
Clinical Administration Coordinator (Former Employee), Richardson, TXSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: works hours
Cons: manager got being able to talk with the workers
Reviewed cases for accuracy and completeness, understanding principles of HIPAA; So maintained government mandated confidentiality, while verifying member eligibility.

Distributed workload to a staff nurses, called providers to verify client/customer billing information.

Reviewed gap requests and determined gap exceptions for the customer's policies – more... and exceeded quality and production goals.

Utilized online tools to research physician data and in-house databases to research eligibility for in/out work status of providers.

Responded to incoming provider and enrollee calls and subsequently resolving customer service inquiries which included:

Notifications and providers status and/or determining if notification is required.
Completing with ICD-9 and CPT coding customer service representation to both providers and enrollees

Constantly meeting productivity goals and quality standards, while adhering to a schedule Assisted with faxes and emails to facilitate communication between provider and in house resources.

The hardest part of the job was policies changing from day to day not enough trainging,

I got along great with my co-workers.

Most enjoyable part of my job was helping others. – less
Productive place to work at
Claims Analyst (Current Employee), WauwatosaSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: close to malls, onsite cafe
Cons: short breaks
Fast paced friendly environment, company lives by their mission statement and values.
Fun at work place
HR Assistant (Former Employee), HyderabadSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: medical benefits, outing.
Cons: need to work long hours, stretch hours
When i joined the UHG i found the work environment and work culture is very different when compare to my previous organization. ICICI bank is domestic company and UHG is MNC.

But after joining UHG i learned many things like how to mingle with collegues mangers and senior mangement. It gives much exposure. Interaction with the mangers in Onshore. Lot – more... of oppurtunities.
So many co-workers helped me supported me in every aspect.

I was a SPOC for birthday events parties stuff like that. I enjoyed a lot by singing, dancing and playing. – less
Nice productive environment with great managers and team
Patient Care Coordinator (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: lots of free coffee!
Cons: 30 minute lunches were often.
A typical day at work could be intense. That's when I do my best work with quotas and a very active environment.

I learned Patient Care Coordination partnered with group policy plans.

I worked with exceptional co-workers who were equal in work ethics

Hardest part of job was difficult customers but those were very far and few in between. Overall, – more... not much difficulty. I love learning

Helping customers and feeling productive that I've done my job to the best of my abilities. – less
Optum Rx
Senior Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), Mission ValleySeptember 17, 2014
Pros: great benefits, nice facility's, great people.
Cons: long mandatory hours. 12+ hour shifts everyday.
I worked at a desk processing Prior Authorizations most of the day.
I learned how to work on team project effectively, how to process Prior Authorizations, ext..
Management was new and had a a hard time managing 40+ people but they did the best they could and they worked hard.
I loved my co-workers we got along very well and worked well with each other. – more... The hardest part about the Job was keeping up with constantly changing procedures, it was completely doable just sometimes difficult. The best part was being a part of the team, and making sure a customer was able to get what they needed. – less
BILLING AND ENROLLMENT SPECIALIST (Current Employee), Roanoke, VASeptember 16, 2014
Great starting pay and benefits, many opportunities for advancement.
awesome
Senior customer service representative (Former Employee), Cypress, CASeptember 16, 2014
i loved this company i wish the new members coming aboard was more fruitful or i'd still be there.
Enjoyable place to work with great learning opportunities
Sr. Database Analyst (Technical Lead) (Former Employee), HyderabadSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: technical growth
Great technical learning place , best work life balance and good work culture
WORK AND FUN PLACE
Senior Claims Associate (Current Employee), HYDERABADSeptember 16, 2014
GOOD FOR WORKING FOR UNITED HEALTH GROUP ONE OF THE TOP MOST COMPANY IN HEALTH CARE INDUSTRY
Overall good company
Sr. Pharmacy Claims Business Process Analyst (Current Employee), Plano, TXSeptember 15, 2014
Great opprotunities for advancement
Good training
Good upward training
Good management
Business Consultant (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNSeptember 14, 2014
Great to place to start a career and continue a career. Just be ready to put in a good amount of hours.
Community and State Claims Project Manager (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOSeptember 13, 2014
Within every position the company makes you work hard and learn a great deal of information to help you become a more productive person in the company culture.
excellent company
Health Educator (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INSeptember 12, 2014
Rewarding job helping others achieve their health goals. great work . No travel involved.
It's a Job
Clinical Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee), Atlanta, GASeptember 11, 2014
Pros: 5 day week with weekends & holidays off. decent pay. shuttle service to marta.
Cons: rampant, unchecked favoritism. no diversity - at all. nebulous, unapproachable, and ineffective management. malignant and toxic work environment and morale is extremely low. inept, unmotivated, co-workers (there are a few exceptions.) deplorable health benefits!
I work for a segment within the company. This segment was acquired by UHG in 2012, so my review is based on my experience within the segment and may not apply to the company as a whole.

A typical day within my office consists of arriving promptly to set up my work station, and within minutes of settling into my cubicle being informed of the latest – more... scuttlebutt du jour - regardless if I wish to hear it or not. Once the shift has started, I field incessant, repetitive, and mundane phone calls, repeating the same information ad nauseum to people who've heard it 10,000 times before, yet still ask questions and become irate as if our processes are totally foreign to them. You are not allowed to place callers on hold, even if their issue requires brief research to be resolved. There is often NO break in between calls, and breaks are often cancelled depending on which way the wind blows.

High accuracy and productivity is expected at all times despite the fact that the computer systems and software are outdated, not well maintained, and frequently crashes. Our phone systems are shoddy at best, and the phone prompts takes callers to every other department save the one they need. It is sometimes impossible to answer a call because the antiquated telephony software becomes unresponsive, opening you up to a possible "call avoidance" infraction.

I'm not required to use any critical thought, creativity, or free-thinking. Employing these traits will cause management to regard you as if you have three heads with five eyes a piece.

Speaking of management - it is nebulous and unsupportive at best, and counter-intuitive and inept at worst. No two managers will give you the same answer on any one topic, and changes are often made not because they are necessary for the "big picture", or for efficiency's sake, but just because they can be made. Change is a constant (true with any organization). But the changes within this organization are arbitrarily and cavalierly made without consideration to how they impact workflow efficiency, productivity, service levels, or customer satisfaction. Managers and supervisors blatantly show favoritism at the expense of office morale. Productivity suffers as a result, and management attempts to sugar coat their actions and place the blame on staff versus showing a modicum of integrity and owning their mistakes. All of this has created a team that is anything but unified and a microcosm of misery that would drive any sane person to alcoholism.

My department's fascist approach to personnel management would make Mussolini a proud man. Prepare to have personal liberties stripped as you walk through the door: you are not allowed to have your cell phone (at all, for ANY reason, despite the fact other departments aren't held to this same standard.) Most reading material outside of company provided propaganda is verboten (with the insane amount of calls coming in, it's unlikely you'd have time to read a sentence, let alone a whole book). Need to use the restroom? You're allotted an average of 4 minutes a day for bathroom breaks (I hope you're able to pop a squat, wipe and wash quickly for they DO monitor this.) You're not allowed music at your desk, no matter how tasteful or benign. And no browsing the web (although I wholly understand and somewhat support this, this organization takes it to the extreme.) My personal favorite is the frequent use of scathing, electronic vitriol mass e-mailed to all associates in response to the impropriety of one or two. Apparently, it is a foreign concept to address those individuals versus chiding the entire group. There's a considerable difference between announcing the code of conduct and disparaging and entire group for the actions of a few. We all have copies of the same handbook, code of ethics, and code of conduct. These rules do not apply, however, if you are one of the manager's pets.

If you have an issue within your department, a co-worker, or - heaven forbid - a member of management, don't expect help from Human Resources. They are in place for the company's interest ONLY and couldn't care less about the individual. You are just another number. Never forget that should you be employed here.

Co-workers. Hm. Most of my co-workers are duplicitous and quite immature. There's much gossip in the office, and no small amount of "fraternization" between ranks. Many spend their time trying to police the actions of others versus letting management do their jobs. Someone will always be worried about what YOU are doing and not about doing their jobs. Oh, I should also mention there is absolutely NO ethnic diversity here. I doubt this is by happenstance and is solely by design. I feel that this has also contributed to the nocuous environment that pervades the office. I find it hilarious that there hasn't been an EEOC complaint filed yet.

The most difficult part of my job? Aside from the info above, deplorable benefit packages (high deductibles, high premiums, scant coverage), dealing with the office politics, the often rude, opprobrious providers that call, and the lack of internal support is by far the shining jewels in this category.

The most enjoyable part of the job? Well, it's something to add to the resume. Leaving the office at the end of my shift is quite nice. We accrue PTO quickly. Good luck holding on to it, though.

What I've learned? I've learned that I can do - and deserve - much better, and as such, I have resumed my employment search. – less
Have been looking for other employment since the day i was hired here.
Sr. Provider Data / Claims Analyst (Current Employee), MinnesotaSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: low insurance premiums
Cons: low pay; no career potential; just a monkey in a cube
No career path/promotion opportunities unless you are a favorite regardless of talent or drive to succeed; Managment constantly rotated I haven't had the same supervisor for more than one year; Poor consideration for longer term employees who still make LESS than new off the street employees which is sad. Don't care about your previous education/experience – more... in relation to your potential.
On the other hand; the flexibility to work at home when you need to is great. As far as HR is concerned; they are impossible; and their employee handbook references everything at 'management discretion'; which means they can get away with whatever they want as there are no structured rules. – less
Great Doctors.
Intake Coordinator (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 10, 2014
Urology office. I did check out and check in at times. managed authorizations for procedures/ tests. scheduled appointment . phones 6 lines.

1 2 3 4 5

About UnitedHealth Group

When you work to better people’s lives, one of those lives will always be yours. We have modest goals: Improve the lives – Read more

UnitedHealth Group Photos