United States Steel

United States Steel Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Trying to escape
Steel making (Current Employee), NanticokeSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: wages.
Cons: everything else
Most the management is fresh out of school. They don't know anything about the industry. All they talk about is safety when really it's all about production. No care for the worker. You will always be the one at fault not the company. Just a dirty unhappy place Do yourself a favor. And stay away.
Horrible place to work
Maintenance (Former Employee), NanticokeJanuary 26, 2014
Pros: no tools, no supervision, means no work. great place to sit and read
Cons: supervision, screwed up pay weekly, toxins they don't tell you about, security
I am a former employee from the plant in nanticoke ontario. I would not recommend this place to anyone. They preach safety but if it interferes with production it goes right out the window and god forbid if you hurt yourself because you will be to blame regardless of the circumstances. The environment is terrible and the amount of toxins you inhale – more... daily is not worth the money. They supply you with little or no tools to do your job. They rip you off every pay and force you to fight for what's yours. Management has little idea what they are doing. The union does not represent there employees. All in all I'd say unless your starving in the street I would run as far away from this place as you can. – less
Do not work here!
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee), Nanticoke, ONApril 25, 2013
This is where tradesmen and women come to lose all self respect! I've worked for USLess steel for the last 6 Years! You will be disrespected, and suffer some of the work working conditions you can imagine, and heaven forbid if you cut you finger! Do not work here.
good break and lunch room
general labor (Former Employee), Fairfield, ALOctober 21, 2014
Pros: worked inside....real good pay....good people to work with
Cons: long hours
I operated a computerized Korbus Trimmer / apprentice trainer , learned bindery machines , completed other tasks as requested and worked around assembly and conveyor lines management gave us good support co-workers all helped one other if or when they needed it working 12 hours shifts for months at a time management would serve us lunch when we had – more... a good run , holiday dinners – less
Horrible place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PA/HeadquartersOctober 16, 2014
Cons: everthing
No chance for advancement. Management is a joke. Disgruntled co-workers. The list goes on and on....
Good opportunity, training included.
Record Clerk - Law Department (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 2, 2014
Pros: free training, free coffee
Cons: change of executive management
Good managers, opportunity for training including ethics training.
Disappointing and unhappy
System Analyst (Former Employee), Pittsburgh PASeptember 30, 2014
PROS:
- Good benefits and salary. Non-union employees receive an annual bonus based largely on the company’s financial performance and safety record for the year, but is also based on individual and team performance. This bonus wasn't much in past years due to company’s financial performance. It was better than nothing though.

-Some good and hardworking – more... people

- Work-life balance/flexible scheduling is available at Headquarters but mainly depends on what area/department you are in and your manager. If you work for a good manager, you should be ok. But beware the opposite.

- Historic and iconic American company

- Large corporation so there are lots of different areas to work.

-New executive management from outside the company has some promise. Perhaps the last hope for this company to turn things around. It will not be easy.

CONS

- A lot of miserable, bitter, and low-morale co-workers. These were mainly employees who had been with the company a long time. A few confessed they were only staying with the company because of the “good pension plan”(newer hires are on a different plan). Mix that with near constant job and pension uncertainty and you get this problem.

- They have trouble retaining employees younger than age 30. Most of the people I knew who left the company before and after me were in this range.

- Outdated company culture and management style. They are behind the times in most things. Times have changed and people aren’t looking to stay at one company and a pension for their entire working lives.

-Incompetent middle managers that seem to follow their superiors around from job to job within the company.

-Little to no change management. Entire company is resistant to change, from most of the executives all the way down. That is a recipe for disaster. Because of the lack of change management and company culture, their ERP software transition and deployment has been very poor. Very bad project management.

- Employees feel disengaged and disheartened. Negative atmosphere. Also a common “poor us” mindset based largely on the company’s recent struggles and uncertainty.

- Little to no appreciation for employees. My new employer recognizes “National Employee Appreciation Day’ but I never heard of such a thing while working at US Steel.

- Poor physical working environment at their Business Service Center due to cramped, windowless rooms, outdated furnishings, narrow hallways, and peeling paint.

- Very political and bureaucratic. Lots of red tape.

- Safety stance and message is overdone within Headquarters. The company takes safety seriously and is obviously needed due to their plant locations, but it is too much at the Headquarters locations. I get they need a single corporate stance on safety, but to hold department/team monthly hour long safety meetings and go over things like stapler safety, door safety, and Halloween safety is just a waste of time and bewildering. The same safety information is pretty much repeated annually. I felt I was being talked down to by needing to go over a three page document on how to properly use a stapler. Also, they pretty much ingrain safety into your minds at other meetings and even leaving your worksite. Too much focus than what is needed there and it makes people tune out the message. Safety is important, but that was too much. – less
Wide range of equipment to experience
Systems Repair (Current Employee), Fairfield, ALSeptember 27, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: not very innovative, very political environment.
Provides my family with a good lifestyle, provides me the opportunity to experience a wide range of equipment.
heavy industrial environment
Shift Manager (Current Employee), Dravosburg, PASeptember 17, 2014
I direct a 42 man union work force consisting of electricians, HVAC, and machinists. Responsible for daily facilities maintenance and plan repairs
Decent Pay Great People
Business Planner (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 5, 2014
Pros: pay, people, safety highly regarded
Cons: maybe too conservative
Management dependent on individual in charge.

A typical day was usually fulfilling and not too stressful as long as you had a team to work with.

Co-workers were hard working and smart.

Most enjoyable part of the job was networking and visiting other plants.

Toughest part was working at home after hours which was usually end of the month.
Choo Choo a Boy's Dream Come True
Mill Operator (Former Employee), Fairfield, ALAugust 26, 2014
Pros: great benefits and life lesson taught
Cons: very, very dangerous
Hard Work never Hurt it keeps you very busy, something to do all the time. Great Co-Workers, and leadership is taught daily.
Structured
ERP Oracle, Procurement testing team (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAAugust 19, 2014
Pros: helping people learn
Cons: nothing
I learned more strategic thinking, how to work with a deadline, and mostly about working with a team. I loved knowing that i was making other peoples jobs more efficient and cost effective.
Great Experience & Exposure
Enterprise Resource Planning (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAAugust 3, 2014
Pros: great benefits and paid time off
Cons: possibility for advancement limited
My 14 years there has been a great adventure. I'm looking to advance my career and grow with another company.
This place is a dinosaur
Maint. (Current Employee), FairfieldAugust 2, 2014
The workers that have been hired are very childish and the younger managers are very naive about life and they think older workers are stupid.
Progressive
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee), Granite City, ILJuly 24, 2014
Most enjoyable part of the job is motivating employees to be at their peak performance to ensure reliability and limit mechanical operations down time.
Oracle Apps Technical
Oracle Apps Technical Consultant (Former Employee), APJuly 22, 2014
Pros: na
Cons: na
• Created Tables, Views, Synonyms, Sequences and Indexes.
• Implementation - Involved in implementing Inventory, WSH, BOM, WIP, and Purchasing, Order Management and Receivables modules in Multi-Org set up for US Steel, Wheeling division which includes designing, testing and maintaining interfaces from legacy system.
• Developed SQL * Loader programs – more... to load data from flat file to stage tables. Written PL/SQL procedures to validate and load the data into the Oracle Interface tables or directly into the Oracle base tables for the respective modules.
• Developed interfaces to load Items and Bills of Material (BOM) coming in flat files from Main Frame.
• Integrated Quality with WIP and Purchasing to capture Quality data during manufacturing, receiving and return process
• Developed custom reports using XML publisher.
• Developed an interface to populate data from legacy system to Order Management base tables.
• Worked on Outbound Programs for orders and shipping, which picks data based on released status.
• Worked on Order Import interface, to load all the legacy orders in booked status in Oracle.
• Implemented the Payables Open Interface. Activities involved creation of Loader File, importing Invoices into the interface tables using SQL*Loader and then using Payables Open Interface to import the data into the Base tables.
• Developed PL/SQL Program to Populate PO Requisition Interface table to import Requisitions.
• Developed custom interface program to import items from the legacy system to Oracle Inventory by creating staging tables.
• Developed Migration Scripts using FNDLOAD commands to download and upload LDT’s which is used to migrate all the objects from Dev Instance to test and Production Instances.
• Responsible for Preparing Technical Design Document (MD70) based on the Functional Requirement specifications (MD50).
• Registration of Concurrent Programs and request Sets in AOL and System Administration. – less
Very good learning experience
Senior Developer (Former Employee), IndiaJuly 21, 2014
Learnt new techniques and interesting methodologies. Had a great team to work with.
good pay/bennefits
Operations Manager (Current Employee), alabamaJuly 8, 2014
Not the best for college grads. Company does not care for its people.
Good company , tough times
Field Support (Former Employee), AlabamaJune 23, 2014
Pros: good co-workers
Cons: needs to modernize
This is a good company to work for.

The company needs to modernize in order to survive
Terrible place to work,terrible company
Maint Tech-Electrical (Former Employee), Granite City,IllinoisJune 8, 2014
Pros: pay, benefits
Cons: extremely hostile work environment
One of the worst jobs I ever had,they forced us to work 16hrs with little or no notice regularly,management harassed employees they didn't like & fired them or gave them time off for no viable reason,and on top of all that extremely dangerous,dirty place,worst bathrooms I've ever seen,seemed to me the company promoted an atmosphere of fear(getting fired) – more... very bad union/management relationship,wouldn't recommend any of my friends or family to seek employment there – less

1 2 3 4 5

About United States Steel

Steel crazy after all these years, United States Steel is North America's largest integrated steelmaker and the world's eighth-largest – Read more

United States Steel Photos