United States Steel

United States Steel Employee Reviews

Iv'e had worse jobs.
Utility Operator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 November 2016
Room for advancement,but job security is questionable as is the norm in manufacturing today. A highly toxic and hazardous work environment,but that's why they pay more than minimum wage.
Pros
wages and benefits/pension
Cons
exposure to various carcinogens
Not worth it.
Finish Mill Operator (Former Employee) –  Nanticoke, ON16 October 2016
Good place to work if you only want money. Have a back up job due to the frequent work stoppages. If you need somewhere to work for your resume you should try other places, many employers don't look fondly on US Steel employees unless you have a trade.
Pros
ok money
Cons
treat you poorly
Industrial Electrician Apprentice 442A (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 February 2017
Learned lott from fellow workers
Experienced lots of new things as apprentice electrician
Enjoyed the challanges
Friendly staff, great atmosphere in lunch room
Utilities Tech 4 (Former Employee) –  Nanticoke, ON28 February 2017
Working there is fun, safe, a bit dirty being a steel mill, can be cold in the winter but you have proper PPE to wear. Pretty easy going.
they are allways hiring, then you may think about why
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Nanticoke, ON14 June 2016
Don't work here as this place is run by arrogant and incompetent yanks. They think you must be high if you trip or hurt yourself. They use American style bullying and threats to get you to work unsafely if production is affected but preach safety first. U.S. Steel is basically running Lake Erie Works into the ground to eliminate competition.
Terrible place to work
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Nanticoke, ON2 February 2016
productive work force
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  haldimald county ontario30 March 2016
good and hard working people to work with. good benefits as well opportunity for growth within the company. management and union workers get along.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
short holiday
easy place to work
Vessal operator (Former Employee) –  Nanticoke, ON30 March 2016
Make sure everything was ready to go in the vessel to make steel. was boss of the crew and they listened and worked well. It was dirty but the pay was good and fun to work with my crew.
over all a good place to work
trainer (Former Employee) –  Nanticoke, ON30 March 2016
show new employees around and train them. fore mans were helpful and friendly.co workers were fun and eager to learn.hard to teach new people but fun trying
it was at the onset a good place to work but became increasingling difficult
Manager Raw Materials Canada (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 September 2015
A typical day would be to review the required shipments and insure that they arrived and if b=not contact freight supplier to discuss why and when they would be made. I reported daily to upper management on the supply chain developments. This position was a stand alone position no coworkers. The hardest part of the job was the lack of information flow coming out of Head office in Pittsburgh, I would work in the dark for the most part.
fellow workers are great
Patcherman (Current Employee) –  Nanticoke, ON12 January 2016
repair doors with new seals repair ovens via ceramic welding
management easy to deal with
great co-workers
hardest part is working in the heat/cold
most enjoyable is seeing your finished product i.e repairs working properly
Industrial Mechanic (Millwright) (Former Employee) –  Nanticoke, ON8 February 2016
Management policies make doing your job difficult most days. Co-workers were great. The environment is very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. It is also very dirty.
ok place to work
Area Manager Maintenance and Services (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 February 2016
lots of work to occupy anyone's time maintenance department personnel were excellent and all supervisors and co-ordinators were good employees to have
No Incentives, No Advancements
Forms/Records Mgmt/Treasury Accountant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 July 2015
Typical day is to prepare the pay sheet for the present day's bills, investments, credits and debits from bank statements. Figure out how much to transfer to cover bills. Transfer funds. Enter investments. pay bills, enter all days' events in Black Book ledger to balance to zero, deliver and order records storage requests for boxes and HR files daily. Reconcile Records Storage monthly invoices
Create and revise forms and replace into public database.
Co-workers were the best part of the job as well as my manager . The hardest part of the job was to keep a great attitude with this company as we were treated like children. They are un-organized to say the very least as a whole.
Pros
People I worked with
Cons
No morale
Good
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Nanticoke, ON23 February 2016
Great company for getting experience in the maintenance trades. Learned a lot in terms of safety and communication. Enjoyed the experience.
Do not work here
utilites (Former Employee) –  nanticoke23 February 2015
If you enjoy being lied to daily and working at a job where the number one goal is to try and find something to fire you for than come work here. They advertise advancement but then lie to your face and behind your back, they don't want you to get ahead. They preach safety first as long as it doesn't interfere with production. I have never seen a company try harder to lose money and not show a profit. Try to find any other place to work first.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, poor working atmosphere.
A company struggling in a competitive global marketplace.
Project Manager / Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 May 2014
We were continually implementing and adapting to new business processes. It was enjoyable to come to work to face business challenges along with a team of experienced people, but staff reductions and Company issued smart phones resulted in virtual 24/7/365 on-call for management and staff.
Pros
Mature, knowledgeable workforce; emphasis on safety; free coffee.
Cons
24 hour on-call for processes that were being made more complex.
Maintenance lead hand and trainer
Industrial Electrician Stelco (Former Employee) –  Hilton works Hamilton Ontario18 February 2014
Talk to electrical foreman to get a list of assigned jobs, then order parts that would be needed, assign personnel in training to jobs and instruct them on how to complete the tasks using the schematics and PLC programs with the tools of the trade.
Complete work orders as they are finished and post on the computer.
Pros
Enjoyed Planning and completing new installations
Cons
Working outside Night shifts calls in the winter
I enjoyed working there with co workers and management but Headoffice in Pittsbourgh has zero consideration for there employees.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Nanicoke, on29 May 2013
I was on the coke ovens as an operator. I enjoyed my job very much. US Steel is very safety minded and we went many safety meetings which I learnt alot at them. I enjoyed working with all my foremans and management and never had a problem with any of them. My co workers were a lot of fun to work with. My shifts were 12hr contential shifts which means every other weekend. Getting use to that was hard but was worth it. All in all I enjoyed my 8 yrs there.
Pros
Good income and pension. Good work enviroment.
Cons
Locked out every 3 yrs, for a year.
Was a wonderful experience
General stores (helper) (Former Employee) –  hamilton ontario28 February 2012
Great pay and instructed about work place safety very throughly. I enjoyed and worked with alot of much older individuals that not only shared with me work related teachings and their experiences but shared their wisdom regarding their working life experiences. Some had high levels and others had low levels of education but i learned so much. Very interesting environment and people.
Pros
the people and environment.
Cons
not alot of work to keep busy at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Steel. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9