United States Steel

United States Steel Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Horrible place to work
Maintenance (Former Employee), NanticokeJanuary 26, 2014
Pros: no tools, no supervision, means no work. great place to sit and read
Cons: supervision, screwed up pay weekly, toxins they don't tell you about, security
I am a former employee from the plant in nanticoke ontario. I would not recommend this place to anyone. They preach safety but if it interferes with production it goes right out the window and god forbid if you hurt yourself because you will be to blame regardless of the circumstances. The environment is terrible and the amount of toxins you inhale – more... daily is not worth the money. They supply you with little or no tools to do your job. They rip you off every pay and force you to fight for what's yours. Management has little idea what they are doing. The union does not represent there employees. All in all I'd say unless your starving in the street I would run as far away from this place as you can. – less
Do not work here!
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee), Nanticoke, ONApril 25, 2013
This is where tradesmen and women come to lose all self respect! I've worked for USLess steel for the last 6 Years! You will be disrespected, and suffer some of the work working conditions you can imagine, and heaven forbid if you cut you finger! Do not work here.
Interesting Job. Terrible: conditions, pay, management and job advancement opportunities,
Utilities Operator (Former Employee), Lake Erie Works, Nanticoke ONJuly 15, 2012
Pros: interesting job, massive industrial facility.
Cons: everything else.
I cannot not say enough bad things about this company. The only trades people that should consider this place are people with no experience or no other option. This company has no interest in investing in their employees. Do not expect any help with advancement. Getting them to sign off on your experience time will be like pulling teeth. The draconian – more... actions of the company as a whole will quickly poison your attititude and it will take years to go away. The place is freezing in the winter, sweltering in the summer and absolutly polluted every day.

I did enjoy my job day to day job, but the company made the work enviroment unbearable. The pay definatly does not compensate for amount of pollution you encounter on a day to day basis. – less
US Steel Overview
Utility Crew, Tubular Operations (Former Employee), McKeesport, PADecember 21, 2014
Maintained an accurate count of product and insured product met standard levels.

US Steel puts a great deal of emphasis on safety. At this job I learned the value of safety and learned to appreciate a company that strives for globally recognized standards.
Productive and Friendly Work Environment
Plant Environmental Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Granite City, ILDecember 17, 2014
Pros: great location, awesome department, great supervisor
Cons: no company parties or events
I've been employed at USS for almost three years now and it's such a great company to work for. I love my department and co-workers and look forward to coming to work everyday.
Not your nine to five
Production/ utitlity (Current Employee), Gary, INDecember 11, 2014
Pros: money
Cons: work enviornment
If you like money then this is the gig you want, you will make it. The working conditions are extreme in most cases. Work associates are not as motivating as I would like. Management was ok and overall if you like to work hard it is a good job.
United States Steel was the greatest place to work as far as I'm concered
Shop Scheduler (Former Employee), Johnstown, PANovember 17, 2014
Started working for United States Steel after a 4 year enlistment in the U.S. Air Force. I was employed there for almost 20 years until being permantly laid off due to foreign imports......the local plant at Johnstown, PA was shut down. I really enjoyed my job at USS....being a shop scheduler was right up my alley.
Very good company, opportunity is there for all to persue.
Maintenance Tech | Millwright (Current Employee), Gary, INNovember 15, 2014
Pros: income capabilities and benfits
Cons: rotating work schedule
I have been there for the past three decades. The scheduling is mostly a rotating schedule, which has its advantages as well as its disadvantages. Some of the environmental conditions are harsh and challenging. Certainly not for the weak in heart. Benefits are excellent, A large diversity of culture, departmental differences. The plant is 2 miles in – more... depth and 7 miles in width located on the southern shore of Lake Michigan. – less
good break and lunch room
general labor (Former Employee), Fairfield, ALOctober 21, 2014
Pros: worked inside....real good pay....good people to work with
Cons: long hours
I operated a computerized Korbus Trimmer / apprentice trainer , learned bindery machines , completed other tasks as requested and worked around assembly and conveyor lines management gave us good support co-workers all helped one other if or when they needed it working 12 hours shifts for months at a time management would serve us lunch when we had – more... a good run , holiday dinners – less
Horrible place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PA/HeadquartersOctober 16, 2014
Cons: everthing
No chance for advancement. Management is a joke. Disgruntled co-workers. The list goes on and on....
Good opportunity, training included.
Record Clerk - Law Department (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 2, 2014
Pros: free training, free coffee
Cons: change of executive management
Good managers, opportunity for training including ethics training.
Disappointing and unhappy
System Analyst (Former Employee), Pittsburgh PASeptember 30, 2014
PROS:
- Good benefits and salary. Non-union employees receive an annual bonus based largely on the company’s financial performance and safety record for the year, but is also based on individual and team performance. This bonus wasn't much in past years due to company’s financial performance. It was better than nothing though.

-Some good and hardworking – more... people

- Work-life balance/flexible scheduling is available at Headquarters but mainly depends on what area/department you are in and your manager. If you work for a good manager, you should be ok. But beware the opposite.

- Historic and iconic American company

- Large corporation so there are lots of different areas to work.

-New executive management from outside the company has some promise. Perhaps the last hope for this company to turn things around. It will not be easy.

CONS

- A lot of miserable, bitter, and low-morale co-workers. These were mainly employees who had been with the company a long time. A few confessed they were only staying with the company because of the “good pension plan”(newer hires are on a different plan). Mix that with near constant job and pension uncertainty and you get this problem.

- They have trouble retaining employees younger than age 30. Most of the people I knew who left the company before and after me were in this range.

- Outdated company culture and management style. They are behind the times in most things. Times have changed and people aren’t looking to stay at one company and a pension for their entire working lives.

-Incompetent middle managers that seem to follow their superiors around from job to job within the company.

-Little to no change management. Entire company is resistant to change, from most of the executives all the way down. That is a recipe for disaster. Because of the lack of change management and company culture, their ERP software transition and deployment has been very poor. Very bad project management.

- Employees feel disengaged and disheartened. Negative atmosphere. Also a common “poor us” mindset based largely on the company’s recent struggles and uncertainty.

- Little to no appreciation for employees. My new employer recognizes “National Employee Appreciation Day’ but I never heard of such a thing while working at US Steel.

- Poor physical working environment at their Business Service Center due to cramped, windowless rooms, outdated furnishings, narrow hallways, and peeling paint.

- Very political and bureaucratic. Lots of red tape.

- Safety stance and message is overdone within Headquarters. The company takes safety seriously and is obviously needed due to their plant locations, but it is too much at the Headquarters locations. I get they need a single corporate stance on safety, but to hold department/team monthly hour long safety meetings and go over things like stapler safety, door safety, and Halloween safety is just a waste of time and bewildering. The same safety information is pretty much repeated annually. I felt I was being talked down to by needing to go over a three page document on how to properly use a stapler. Also, they pretty much ingrain safety into your minds at other meetings and even leaving your worksite. Too much focus than what is needed there and it makes people tune out the message. Safety is important, but that was too much. – less
Wide range of equipment to experience
Systems Repair (Current Employee), Fairfield, ALSeptember 27, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: not very innovative, very political environment.
Provides my family with a good lifestyle, provides me the opportunity to experience a wide range of equipment.
heavy industrial environment
Shift Manager (Current Employee), Dravosburg, PASeptember 17, 2014
I direct a 42 man union work force consisting of electricians, HVAC, and machinists. Responsible for daily facilities maintenance and plan repairs
Decent Pay Great People
Business Planner (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 5, 2014
Pros: pay, people, safety highly regarded
Cons: maybe too conservative
Management dependent on individual in charge.

A typical day was usually fulfilling and not too stressful as long as you had a team to work with.

Co-workers were hard working and smart.

Most enjoyable part of the job was networking and visiting other plants.

Toughest part was working at home after hours which was usually end of the month.
Choo Choo a Boy's Dream Come True
Mill Operator (Former Employee), Fairfield, ALAugust 26, 2014
Pros: great benefits and life lesson taught
Cons: very, very dangerous
Hard Work never Hurt it keeps you very busy, something to do all the time. Great Co-Workers, and leadership is taught daily.
Structured
ERP Oracle, Procurement testing team (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAAugust 19, 2014
Pros: helping people learn
Cons: nothing
I learned more strategic thinking, how to work with a deadline, and mostly about working with a team. I loved knowing that i was making other peoples jobs more efficient and cost effective.
Great Experience & Exposure
Enterprise Resource Planning (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAAugust 3, 2014
Pros: great benefits and paid time off
Cons: possibility for advancement limited
My 14 years there has been a great adventure. I'm looking to advance my career and grow with another company.
This place is a dinosaur
Maint. (Current Employee), FairfieldAugust 2, 2014
The workers that have been hired are very childish and the younger managers are very naive about life and they think older workers are stupid.
Progressive
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee), Granite City, ILJuly 24, 2014
Most enjoyable part of the job is motivating employees to be at their peak performance to ensure reliability and limit mechanical operations down time.

1 2 3 4 5

About United States Steel

Steel crazy after all these years, United States Steel is North America's largest integrated steelmaker and the world's eighth-largest – Read more

United States Steel Photos