United Safety Employee Reviews

It is ok as a jumping stone to get into the patch
Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB19 December 2016
I did enjoyed working part time and some crews were really good
and some just so so.
Not enough hours to make a living...
Worked long hours and days with little time off and management
changes safety to keep clients even when it is not safe for us
to enter or do work.
Will not use all the experience of people to make things easier
to do job....people with PHD,masters degrees,process operators
have lots of ideas but will not use them...
Pros
Not long stints to work on jobs could not stand full time...
Cons
No promises on any hours or days worked..
Great enviornment with great workers and GF's
Safety Watch (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 September 2016
Very great environment. Met some great friends while working there. They treat there employers fair and room for advancement is not difficult.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Long hours on feet. Climbing very high places
Uncertain job security
Safety Watch (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 July 2016
A typical day at work is a 10 hour shift, on your feet in PPE. I learned how to detect for dangerous gases and chemicals which are inherent on the site, which was a fertilizer plant. The hardest part of the job was the long hours and the fact you could work for 10-12 days in a row. The most enjoyable part of the job was being on at the plant at seeing the layout of the plant and the design of the process.
Fun place to work
Lead Hand (Current Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB4 January 2017
An excellent work environment. Management is easy and pleasant to work with. Co-workers are also very pleasant to work with. Patrons and generally nice as well.
Gained related experience
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB7 May 2016
Everyday was a new day. You never knew what was to come. You had to figure things out on the fly. I would perform safety meetings, create rescue plans, and train new crew members. Rig in High and low pressure lines at extreme heights. Crews were normally large with few experienced workers. In this Environment one learns to think on the fly very effectively. I would follow the guidelines set out by my management team. The hardest part about my job was trying to balance long shifts and home life (Being I worked away from home).
The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting several different people and all the experience I have gained.
Pros
Provided living out arrangements
Cons
The unpredictable nature of when you are going to work next
united safety review
training technician (Current Employee) –  fort saskatchewan3 October 2016
good company, maintained friendships. Only negiative with the company is they only have contracted work and it is limited in winter and spring months so it isn't reliable. Non permanent, casual work only. Benefitting students or people who do not have to worry about money or providing.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
limited work
committed in safety
SAFETY LEAD. (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 October 2016
Have gained tremendous experience in safety in different fields and worked for great companies like shell Canada.
Have maintained the safety culture.
Pros
safety tickets
Cons
overtime
Very spuratic work, wages move up and down as the company sees fit.
HSE Advisor (Current Employee) –  Northern Alberta and North East B.C.30 September 2016
I have worked within the United Safety company for over 6 years, My wage has only gone down in that time. The work load is up and down and there is minimal notice for upcoming jobs.
Good group of people, great management that taught me a lot in the short time i was there
Shop Foreman (Former Employee) –  Fort Nelson, BC13 July 2016
First step into my transition from highschool to the oil and gas industry. Very helpful and smart crew. taught me proper procedures, some mechanical work, refilling air tanks, programming h2s monitors along with other safety devices used in the oil and gas industry
Good entry level job
Safety Watch (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 July 2013
United Safety provided safety watch for its contractors at Shell. My job was to ensure the safety of the workers, make sure they are working safely and wearing proper equipment.

It was a good entry level job in terms of getting a good experience working in the oil and gas industry.

There was no benefits, and the pay was well below my expectations.There was no job security or advancement to grow with the company. But I did learn quite a few things and got good experience.
Pros
Training and learnig experience
Cons
No benefits, low salary
Excellent training and good work experience.
Team Lead Safety Watch (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB15 March 2016
Excellent training and good work experience. Enjoyed working with team of professional in a great Oil and Gas facility (CNRL Horizon)
Pros
Free Meals and good accomodation.
United Safety
Safety Watch (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB8 April 2016
Great business and pays well, however, working this job means you cannot stay at home or have any other activities going on while employed.
A typical day at work
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB6 November 2015
Work starts as early as 7.00 am and it is mostly a 12hours job. Nice place to work and nice crew. After the normal safety meeting, we move to the plant, meet the client and other workers and commence the supervision.
Pros
Long hours of work
Cons
Mostly casual job opening
friendly work place for everyone to get along.
safety watch (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB19 September 2012
a typical day at work is always very busy usually goes 2-3 weeks or more.
I learnt how to protect my self when i come in contact with any dangerous gas.
the management was fine, they provided all the equipment needed for each job.
My co-workers are very out going people. all the while I was working with them they have been amazing.
the job doesn't really have hardest part of it although than climbing the Vessel.
Pros
free lunches middle of every month.
Cons
its not exactly long hours it could depend on the job.
Good introduction to oil field safety
Safety Technician and Lead-hand (Former Employee) –  Airdrie AB23 April 2015
Despite its well known brand name this company lacks the ability for good management. All people from different walks of life come in and it would have had good potential. Top level guys don't know their superiorities and keep on crashing each other all the time. I am not so sure how it is fairing presently after the Saudi's bought it.
Pros
Good Training
Cons
Long Hours
Terrible place to work
Shop Hand (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB28 January 2016
unable to reveiw at this time as I am trying to secure other employment. I would recommend that no one goes to to work for this company.
Working here provides a good feeling of job satisfaction.
Safety Specialist (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB24 April 2013
Typical shift starts with loading equipment onto a pick-up, driving to the designated drilling location, installing H2S alarm system and rigging in airlines, reviewing the way the equipment operates for the benefit of the drilling crew, doing an H2S drill, then monitoring the equipment on a regular (hourly) basis to ensure it is ready for use. It is also the responsibility of the safety supervisor to provide lease control so that only personnel trained in H2S, 1st Aid and CPR are allowed on site. The Safety Supervisor is responsible to United Safety management, drilling site consultant and the rig manager to ensure equipment is safety equipment is in top operating condition. Most of the time there will be one or more United Safety personnel on site, depending on the size and location of the drilling operation.

The hardest part of the job, as well as the most potentially dangerous part of the job is the responding to and H2S release alarm.

The most enjoyable part is the camaraderie among the workers on site when the work is proceeding as it should.
Pros
excellent meals provided by the camp cooking staff.
Cons
long hours and being far from home for weeks at a time.
on the job
safety (Current Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB19 August 2014
Typical day at work will include gearing up in safety protective gear, having a safety meeting , making sure crossovers and information is understood for the job . i have learned lots of information its hard to put on paper but have learned that communication is the key and being part of a good team to make success happen within a company . The hardest part of the job is making deadlines meet with whether be rigging in a job for contractors or making sure equipment is clean for the next shift . You get to meet new contractors and some of the same ones going from project to project but have to stay focused on your job .
Pros
potlucks
Cons
long hours but well worth it
poor HR Management
Industrial Safety Agent (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB21 August 2012
Operations management 80 % good.
Three years ago in Ft Saskatchewan at Shell Shut Down p^roject, the United safety Superintendent was a young kid who did not know how to deal with people. no experience. A green horn.
Pros
free lunch but not offered by united they were offered by shell
Cons
long hours but that is the reality of the job, you take it or leave it.
Great People
General Foreman (Current Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB3 January 2016
Great people to work with, not good company morale. Learned a lot of new skills. You are treated as a number, not a person.

2.9