United Safety Employee Reviews in Canada

Gained related experience
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABMay 7, 2016
Everyday was a new day. You never knew what was to come. You had to figure things out on the fly. I would perform safety meetings, create rescue plans, and train new crew members. Rig in High and low pressure lines at extreme heights. Crews were normally large with few experienced workers. In this Environment one learns to think on the fly very effectively. I would follow the guidelines set out by my management team. The hardest part about my job was trying to balance long shifts and home life (Being I worked away from home).
The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting several different people and all the experience I have gained.
Pros
Provided living out arrangements
Cons
The unpredictable nature of when you are going to work next
Good group of people, great management that taught me a lot in the short time i was there
Shop Foreman (Former Employee) –  Fort Nelson, BCJuly 13, 2016
First step into my transition from highschool to the oil and gas industry. Very helpful and smart crew. taught me proper procedures, some mechanical work, refilling air tanks, programming h2s monitors along with other safety devices used in the oil and gas industry
United Safety
Safety Watch (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABApril 8, 2016
Great business and pays well, however, working this job means you cannot stay at home or have any other activities going on while employed.
A typical day at work
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ABNovember 6, 2015
Work starts as early as 7.00 am and it is mostly a 12hours job. Nice place to work and nice crew. After the normal safety meeting, we move to the plant, meet the client and other workers and commence the supervision.
Pros
Long hours of work
Cons
Mostly casual job opening
Terrible place to work
Shop Hand (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABJanuary 28, 2016
unable to reveiw at this time as I am trying to secure other employment. I would recommend that no one goes to to work for this company.
Good entry level job
Safety Watch (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 17, 2013
United Safety provided safety watch for its contractors at Shell. My job was to ensure the safety of the workers, make sure they are working safely and wearing proper equipment.

It was a good entry level job in terms of getting a good experience working in the oil and gas industry.

There was no benefits, and the pay was well below my expectations.There was no job security or advancement to grow with the company. But I did learn quite a few things and got good experience.
Pros
training and learnig experience
Cons
no benefits, low salary
Great People
General Foreman (Current Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABJanuary 3, 2016
Great people to work with, not good company morale. Learned a lot of new skills. You are treated as a number, not a person.
Good introduction to oil field safety
Safety Technician and Lead-hand (Former Employee) –  Airdrie ABApril 23, 2015
Despite its well known brand name this company lacks the ability for good management. All people from different walks of life come in and it would have had good potential. Top level guys don't know their superiorities and keep on crashing each other all the time. I am not so sure how it is fairing presently after the Saudi's bought it.
Pros
Good Training
Cons
Long Hours
Foreman
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABAugust 15, 2015
Divested work experience ,in the winter it was working with oil rigs on sour gas wells providing breathing air support as well as training and summer working in sour gas plants providing personnel , equipment and resources to provide the means of job execution and rescue back up.
Pros
Lots of experience in a short period of time.
Cons
Time spent away from family and friends.
Great place to introduce you into the industry
Industrial Dispatch and Operations (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, ABApril 29, 2015
Started in 2012 and moved up/ forward quickly. i do appreciate everything the company has done for me. long hours bu lots of down time.
Pros
Great place to learn about the industry
Cons
Low wages and very hard to become a Full Time Employee
friendly work place for everyone to get along.
safety watch (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABSeptember 19, 2012
a typical day at work is always very busy usually goes 2-3 weeks or more.
I learnt how to protect my self when i come in contact with any dangerous gas.
the management was fine, they provided all the equipment needed for each job.
My co-workers are very out going people. all the while I was working with them they have been amazing.
the job doesn't really have hardest part of it although than climbing the Vessel.
Pros
free lunches middle of every month.
Cons
its not exactly long hours it could depend on the job.
on the job
safety (Current Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABAugust 19, 2014
Typical day at work will include gearing up in safety protective gear, having a safety meeting , making sure crossovers and information is understood for the job . i have learned lots of information its hard to put on paper but have learned that communication is the key and being part of a good team to make success happen within a company . The hardest part of the job is making deadlines meet with whether be rigging in a job for contractors or making sure equipment is clean for the next shift . You get to meet new contractors and some of the same ones going from project to project but have to stay focused on your job .
Pros
potlucks
Cons
long hours but well worth it
Great Place
Safety Watch (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 23, 2015
• Maintained the safety of contractors by performing confined space watch, fire watch, respiratory equipment training and atmospheric testing.
• Identified and implemented client and company site specific requirements
• Assisted in housekeeping in the immediate vicinity of their work station
• Maintained accurate and complete records of confined space entry, atmospheric testing, and radio communication
Working here provides a good feeling of job satisfaction.
Safety Specialist (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, ABApril 24, 2013
Typical shift starts with loading equipment onto a pick-up, driving to the designated drilling location, installing H2S alarm system and rigging in airlines, reviewing the way the equipment operates for the benefit of the drilling crew, doing an H2S drill, then monitoring the equipment on a regular (hourly) basis to ensure it is ready for use. It is also the responsibility of the safety supervisor to provide lease control so that only personnel trained in H2S, 1st Aid and CPR are allowed on site. The Safety Supervisor is responsible to United Safety management, drilling site consultant and the rig manager to ensure equipment is safety equipment is in top operating condition. Most of the time there will be one or more United Safety personnel on site, depending on the size and location of the drilling operation.

The hardest part of the job, as well as the most potentially dangerous part of the job is the responding to and H2S release alarm.

The most enjoyable part is the camaraderie among the workers on site when the work is proceeding as it should.
Pros
excellent meals provided by the camp cooking staff.
Cons
long hours and being far from home for weeks at a time.
Productive and fun workplace with room for growth
Emergency Rescue Personel (Former Employee) –  ABMay 7, 2015
Enjoyable work settings
Room for advancement
Adequate training
Great superiors that are always available and willing to help at any time
poor HR Management
Industrial Safety Agent (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABAugust 21, 2012
Operations management 80 % good.
Three years ago in Ft Saskatchewan at Shell Shut Down p^roject, the United safety Superintendent was a young kid who did not know how to deal with people. no experience. A green horn.
Pros
free lunch but not offered by united they were offered by shell
Cons
long hours but that is the reality of the job, you take it or leave it.
Work hard, get rewards...
Safety Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABFebruary 19, 2013
Really enjoyed my work, liked the freedom and indepndance I was given. I had the opportunity to move up, and I was paid well. Downside was the time spent away from home, and fighting to get any time off.
Pros
career advancement opporutnities
Cons
no work life balance
Diverse Work Environments
Safety Technician (Former Employee) –  AlbertaApril 10, 2015
Assigned to work at various locations in Alberta in both the Oil and Gas Industry and the Transmission and Distribution provided opportunities to work in diverse work environments with talented and interesting people.
Exciting workdays with great people!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABSeptember 14, 2014
The people i have met at United have been Patient and very friendly. The training i received was very thorough. With little prior experience i felt very comfortable starting the job. If you are looking to make long term relationships with good chances for advancement then this is the job for you.
Pros
awesome people, and great pay
a lonely job
H2S Safety Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABNovember 27, 2012
you can be awaken at any time of the day or night if a H2S Alarm goes off
get sleep while you can
Co-Workers you very rrely meet them, but when You do they are all professional in their outlook towards the job
Pros
good advancement prospects
Cons
time away from home

2.9