United Rentals, Inc.

United Rentals, Inc. Employee Reviews

not for everyone
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 June 2016
This position is not for everyone, it's great for some, and not for others. decent benefits, no work life balance. hourly employees have 24 hour cell phones. if you answer and start working on a weekend, you may not be paid for that time
Pros
monday to friday
Cons
too many cons. negative people, stressful for no reason, people love to pass things off to others
Took everything i could give, then cut me loose (diversity)
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB24 October 2016
Hours of employment where fair time for family given excellent benefits and fellow employees .Gave them everything I had moved about company as asked ,when things got tight they no longer needed me and cut me .
Avoid United with the current econmic outlook they are on a downward spiral at the present time.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 July 2016
Co workers were fine, management wants brown nosers. if your not you will never get anywhere. Very numbers orientated company. management are a different class they treat workers in operations i.e the people who actually do the work like drivers techs ect like lower class citizens. always favour there own people and put people into positions without them having the proper qualifications. my operations manager was a joke. its all in who you know. will never work for a equipment rental company again. they pride themselves in having better customer service, better equipment and better trained employees than the completion and there prices are ridiculous. complete rubbish . Avoid for the time being. no job security they have bought out a lot of smaller companies and have gotten too big now there is a downwards trend and are on there knees with there huge overheads and corporate heavy managers.
Great co workers horrible management
Heavy Equipment Field Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB11 April 2016
Made some good friends among my coworkers but management doesn't care or worry about the small people that make it all work, only about getting their bonuses.
Pros
great company paid health benefits
Cons
self centered middle and upper management
Ok place to start out
Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC12 October 2016
Go go go, but do it safe!! Also don't forget everything you do is on a performance timer/gps, so do it fast. Sometimes rush things too much and then punish us when we make little mistakes. Terrible dispatch, wrong addresses daily, wrong contact info given to drivers. Constantly sending tractor/trailer into areas that it shouldn't be going, no exit/no turn around residential areas when the job could have been done with a small truck. Good to get some experience under your belt and move on to a better place though.
Pros
Free lunches occasionally
Cons
Lots of computer junk, too many bosses
Great work place
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 November 2016
I enjoyed the freedom and independence to establish and maintain my career.
Management is strong,they train their staff well.
United Rentals summary
Summer Student - Equipment Associate (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NS21 September 2016
A work day here was always well busy and always met lots of new faces, dealing with the public in customer service and loading/unloading trucks and trailers. I learned a lot about how genie booms work as well as skid steers, jackhammers, plate dampers, concrete saws, pumps work. I cleaned and maintained a lot of the machinery on a daily basis, as when everything came back from being rented it needed to be cleaned and re inspected. my co workers were all friendly and easy to get along with and be part of a team.
Big company with Big problems, no collaboration or respect amongst groups
former employee (Former Employee) –  Alberta12 April 2016
Day to day work is easy and work / life balance is good, the pay is decent as well. Upper managment promotes change and open doors but all the problems betweens groups gets shelved and no solutions provided. No support to the managers who want to create a better environment and move employee's and processes forward. Money is waisted and jobs lost due to extremely poor execution of processes and people acountability. Many under experienced managers leading to bad moral and an unhappy work force. The list of problems in this company (seeming to be focused in the West soley) is long and would require alot more space to display. There is a lot of current employee's there whom take thier career and the customers seriously, they just need action's and solutions on the internal issues that plague this company to create growth and a better future.
Pros
work / life balance
Cons
to many to list
some good people work there
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 June 2015
Problem like every big company , you become a number , not about the people that work hard and do good for them they just chew u up and spit u out . When u get poor management that's what happens its about numbers and who can suck up to the managers gets the better positions even if they are loseing the company money funny how that works , not like it use to be when u did good worked hard u move up , but that's gone in big companys , now its back stabing , cut throat , very sad , united has a few good people honest hard working know how it should work but they are not in high positions , I also see if you are to smart , managers in the company don't like that , they don't want you to out do them , its about team work anymore , another sad thing about united.
Pros
not bad pay, or benifits
Cons
bad management in some branches
Large Company
Power & HVAC Technical Sales rep (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 November 2016
- Management is strong,they train their staff well.
- Can be very political due to the number of employees, a lot of upper management.
Pros
management
Cons
Large company
Enjoyed my overall experience
Account Manager/ Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2016
Nice group to work for.
Co-workers were all great people.
The hardest part of the job was learning the different systems they have in place, and the corporate chain of command.
Not much training at the local level.
Overall, a great experience, from which I learned a great deal.
Grate place to work and grate people to work with
Service Technician 3 (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS28 November 2016
United will provide most of the things you need to do your job. Boots, clothes, coveralls, jackets, gloves and hats. There are opportunity's to get training from manufactures.
Pros
buys lunch or coffee some times
Cons
spend more time talking about safety than working
Safety top priority
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Canada26 October 2016
Safety is a top aspect of United Rentals. Daily huddles and stretches help start the day in a positive way. Monthly meeting set to help direct and educate the team.
Pros
team
Cons
micro managed
Excellent
Equipment Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB14 October 2016
Operations manager was laid back and fun, never had any issues with him.
Safety was implemented hugely within the company, and they always took care of employees.
Pros
BBQ, Golf Tourney
Challenging territory rquirements.
TERRITORY SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 January 2016
Each day consisted of building and retaining solid long term customer relationships. I learned throughout my 30 year sales career that this is the foundation in building long term success.

Immediate management was a pleasure to work with. Upper Regional Management after the Corporate change in territory demographics left much to be desired.

My co- workers and I fed off one another to achieve the great success we enjoyed. The most challenging part of the job was the inability to rely upon the operating condition of our equipment upon site arrival.

I enjoyed the freedom and independence to establish and maintain accounts at my discretion. Upon each career change, in Fort Mc Murray, my customer retention attributes made each subsequent career move an even more pleasurable experience. Benefiting my new employer with immediate, pre-established new accounts. Reiterating once again, success in sales is based most critically upon maintaining quality long term relationships.
Pros
Freedom to do maintain my territory and work with outside service personnel..
Cons
Inadequate 'inside' service department.
Lack of Qualified Leadership & Integrity
Employee (Former Employee) –  Alberta18 February 2016
United Rentals of Canada needs to do a clean sweep of management for leadership qualifications.

Every leader I experienced; with exception of a few need to get a grasp on how to to be a leader, how to respect other people and most importantly take care of what makes United Rentals a great company to work for..... "it's hard working employees".

Legitimate complaints that can not be advertised on this forum always fall on deaf ears.
Pros
Great Peers and Customers
Cons
Unqualified Management
Just a number
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnaby BC13 June 2012
Great venue that I worked at.
Upper managment not able to get respect of employee's due to poor decisions.
Well trained techs
Hard to work with other branchs as no structure through the company.
Great benifits
No room for advancement unless you are part of a "gentlemens" club and the company thinks of you as a number and not a person.
Very metrix and number orientated company and expect you to get them by whatever means.
Pros
learning lots
Cons
no backbone in managment
Great Company
Regional Business Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON12 May 2016
Great staff, always willing to help and never shied away from offering their knowledge and experience with the younger staff.
good
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE18 February 2016
Being able to work on a daily basis in order to achieve monthly budgets.Getting around to visit customerss and make new ones.
to have a good district manager for help when needed , not someone who knows nothing about the Industry..
Pros
people you meet
Cons
upper management
just a number
Truck Driver - tractor trailer (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON24 March 2015
Left a great job because the guys at United Rentals dangled the carrot and made it sound all rosy with promises of good pay, benefits that rival school teachers and more family time.

Once I was in the door, I was on the road maxing out my driving hours every day all week and lots of sleeping out of town in a hotel(which comes out of the annual bonus).

They run you in to the ground and at the end of your 3 months, kick you to the curb before you get to those nice benefits. The week prior i had an excellent performance review and went out to a company sponsored supper for our branch winning the safety cup for eastern Canada.

The job ad they have posted for a driver in Sudbury, ON is my old job. It was posted the day after they canned me. Be warned!

The reason on my ROE is "shortage of work".

As stated above, this company is all about numbers and they will step on anyone in order to reach their goal(ie...truck idle time, how long it takes to flip a load and so on)

The truck was a 2013 Prostar with just over 200k km on it and it was down more than any truck i've ever seen. Left me sitting on the shoulder of the highway in -40 weather when the EGR outlet tube blew up.

The trucks are GPS'd and connected to a handheld computer that manages your logs. This system failed on a daily basis leaving me to try and mcgyver a paper log to match the digital one. The company has no idea how to deal with paper logs and i was told they don't keep them on file when you hand them in.

Keep your dignity and look elsewhere for work