United Rentals, Inc.

United Rentals, Inc. Employee Reviews

Productive and Fun Workplace
Shipper/Receiver/Customer Service/Parts (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABFebruary 5, 2016
Answer phones to take bookings for rental equipment and do work orders and parts. Book equipment in and out for customers and basic knowledge of running/operating rental equipment in a safe manor.
Pros
Great work environment
Challenging territory rquirements.
TERRITORY SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 14, 2016
Each day consisted of building and retaining solid long term customer relationships. I learned throughout my 30 year sales career that this is the foundation in building long term success.

Immediate management was a pleasure to work with. Upper Regional Management after the Corporate change in territory demographics left much to be desired.

My co- workers and I fed off one another to achieve the great success we enjoyed. The most challenging part of the job was the inability to rely upon the operating condition of our equipment upon site arrival.

I enjoyed the freedom and independence to establish and maintain accounts at my discretion. Upon each career change, in Fort Mc Murray, my customer retention attributes made each subsequent career move an even more pleasurable experience. Benefiting my new employer with immediate, pre-established new accounts. Reiterating once again, success in sales is based most critically upon maintaining quality long term relationships.
Pros
Freedom to do maintain my territory and work with outside service personnel..
Cons
Inadequate 'inside' service department.
Inside Sales Rep
Insides Sales representative (Current Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QCDecember 29, 2015
Inside Sales Rep, sales and rental of machinery to customer, dealing with big accounts and company buyers on a daily basis
great way to learn construction
Operations Manager,class one equipment hauler, (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCDecember 17, 2015
started at bottom worked to top can do all aspects of residential construction love creating houses building differant things being creative making dreams come true
A great company that provided many areas of on the job training.
Shipper/Receiver/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 13, 2015
A great company that provided many areas of on the job training,for example I can now operate many different types of heavy equipment and I learned to be a safety officer.
Pros
Lots of free training
Cons
Lots of odd ball hours.
Friendly work enviroment
Equipment Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 30, 2015
I love working for united rentals. The company itself is reliable and stable. The management is understanding and helpful.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
low pay
every one works good together
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SKJune 21, 2015
start up equipment, drive it into the wash bay, clean it, load equipment in customers vehicles or trailers,
the most enjoyable part of this job was I got to run the equipment.
some good people work there
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 1, 2015
Problem like every big company , you become a number , not about the people that work hard and do good for them they just chew u up and spit u out . When u get poor management that's what happens its about numbers and who can suck up to the managers gets the better positions even if they are loseing the company money funny how that works , not like it use to be when u did good worked hard u move up , but that's gone in big companys , now its back stabing , cut throat , very sad , united has a few good people honest hard working know how it should work but they are not in high positions , I also see if you are to smart , managers in the company don't like that , they don't want you to out do them , its about team work anymore , another sad thing about united.
Pros
not bad pay, or benifits
Cons
bad management in some branches
just a number
Truck Driver - tractor trailer (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONMarch 24, 2015
Left a great job because the guys at United Rentals dangled the carrot and made it sound all rosy with promises of good pay, benefits that rival school teachers and more family time.

Once I was in the door, I was on the road maxing out my driving hours every day all week and lots of sleeping out of town in a hotel(which comes out of the annual bonus).

They run you in to the ground and at the end of your 3 months, kick you to the curb before you get to those nice benefits. The week prior i had an excellent performance review and went out to a company sponsored supper for our branch winning the safety cup for eastern Canada.

The job ad they have posted for a driver in Sudbury, ON is my old job. It was posted the day after they canned me. Be warned!

The reason on my ROE is "shortage of work".

As stated above, this company is all about numbers and they will step on anyone in order to reach their goal(ie...truck idle time, how long it takes to flip a load and so on)

The truck was a 2013 Prostar with just over 200k km on it and it was down more than any truck i've ever seen. Left me sitting on the shoulder of the highway in -40 weather when the EGR outlet tube blew up.

The trucks are GPS'd and connected to a handheld computer that manages your logs. This system failed on a daily basis leaving me to try and mcgyver a paper log to match the digital one. The company has no idea how to deal with paper logs and i was told they don't keep them on file when you hand them in.

Keep your dignity and look elsewhere for work
Not a good job fit.
Class 1 Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 26, 2015
Not impressed with promised wage short-comings. Poor driver dispatch-communication. Digital dispatch system continually crash. Rushed attitude from management compromises safety.
Very cut throat management
Service manager (Former Employee) –  Stoney creekNovember 19, 2014
Terrible management. I would not recommend employment there to anyone. Upper management cares about one thing only and that is there year end bonus at the regular employees expense. You get sick of hearing "drink the cool aid" and things will be fine.
Cons
management, you are only a number.
no idea
Heavy Equipment Technician Journeyman (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 22, 2014
Its been so long since I've worked there I couldn't tell you what's its like to work for.
Pros
free lunches bonus
Cons
family ran
Summary of a day in the life of the United Rentals employee
Heavy Duty Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurrayJuly 9, 2014
To be honest, I love working for United Rentals. My location has a great team of co-workers. They are people I can trust, and rely on in several areas of my eternal career advancement. If it were not for them, I would not have successfully advanced into my Heavy Duty apprenticeship. I would not have had exposure to new challenges with different equipment. And I would not have been able to sharpen my skills without their support network of training course (in person and on-line)

Sadly, the hardest part of my job is the slow state of this season. I'm not the type of employee to sit still and twiddle my thumbs. I eventually get antsy and uncomfortable from sitting idle for too long (typically around 10mins). I have to be doing something. If not working on equipment, organizing paper work, or cleaning my bay/tools. Or helping new apprentices overcome their challenges (if they want it). Some view this as impatience, or "brown nosing". Others are offended and say things like "you're making others look bad". It is not my intention…… And have to learn to follow everyone else's pace.
Pros
great safety/team environment
Cons
pay is not the greatest by area comparisons.
this company is going downhill fast
Inside Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Walkerton, ONNovember 11, 2013
to many people in charge, and not going in the right direction, poor management
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
poor management
Great place to learn new accounting skills
Office (Former Employee) –  Dunville, NL.April 20, 2013
Typical day was renting out equipment for contractors or individuals. I learned all aspects of accounting, which I find very interesting and definitely challenging. Management was poor, co-workes were great people to work with. Hardest part of this job was been able to please the manager, and the most enjoyable was different things I learned on the job.
Pros
challenging position where i learned many new skills.
Cons
disgruntal manager.
Just a number
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnaby BCJune 13, 2012
Great venue that I worked at.
Upper managment not able to get respect of employee's due to poor decisions.
Well trained techs
Hard to work with other branchs as no structure through the company.
Great benifits
No room for advancement unless you are part of a "gentlemens" club and the company thinks of you as a number and not a person.
Very metrix and number orientated company and expect you to get them by whatever means.
Pros
learning lots
Cons
no backbone in managment
productif
Chauffeur livreur (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QCFebruary 9, 2016
livraiaon de trench box et equipement de securite sue les chantier de construction