United Rentals, Inc. Employee Reviews

Great Company To Work For.
Equipment Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 April 2017
United Rentals is a great company to work for. Great working atmosphere with staff that have a strong safety conscious. Opportunities are always available to personal growth in the company.
Great experience
Regional Business Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON10 March 2017
A project of this scale was really amazing to be a part of. I was continuously promoted within and was able to learn new things each and every day. The team were second to none!
Average job
Heavy Equipment Technician (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON15 January 2017
Average job. All depends on your local management. Company holds frequent pizza days and such, so if you have low standards in life, you'll love this place.
Employees are an after thought
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 January 2017
I unfortunately worked for this company and was treated as a number. They closed shops because of poor management and their unwillingness to change
Pros
pay cheque
Cons
corporate management
not the best place to work
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 December 2016
management in most places of branches are not the greatest , the workers are fine but management is another story.They push to get equipment out the door even tho its not ready to go , they expect mechanics to say good to go when its not , then your putting your ticket on the line , there number 1 thing is make as much money as they can whatever the cost may be , be very carefull with them if you work with them .
Pros
money some branches okay, benifits okay
Cons
bad management
ok place to work if youn have no ambition to get anywhere in life
Equipment Associate (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK15 December 2016
I have been a positive employee for the company for 5+ years. I've taken on several rolls for the company and received no recognition for my service. I believe that before things turn worse its time for me to become a valued team member for another company and hopefully be successful together
Good
shop and field Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 December 2016
Pretty good place to work at. Met and worked with some of the best people there. The pay is pretty good. They are not allowing sny overtime now. Company vehicles are pretty nice.
Grate place to work and grate people to work with
Service Technician 3 (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS28 November 2016
United will provide most of the things you need to do your job. Boots, clothes, coveralls, jackets, gloves and hats. There are opportunity's to get training from manufactures.
Pros
buys lunch or coffee some times
Cons
spend more time talking about safety than working
Great work place
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 November 2016
I enjoyed the freedom and independence to establish and maintain my career.
Management is strong,they train their staff well.
Large Company
Power & HVAC Technical Sales rep (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 November 2016
- Management is strong,they train their staff well.
- Can be very political due to the number of employees, a lot of upper management.
Pros
management
Cons
Large company
Enjoyed my overall experience
Account Manager/ Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2016
Nice group to work for.
Co-workers were all great people.
The hardest part of the job was learning the different systems they have in place, and the corporate chain of command.
Not much training at the local level.
Overall, a great experience, from which I learned a great deal.
Great company, Fantastic benifits
HET Technician 2 (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB1 November 2016
All in all a good company to work for, hard to have much life outside of work if you're in a service truck though. Only real downsides are the regular miss communication you get with a company this size.
Pros
great bennifit package. Good people.
Cons
Intercomapny comunication lacking.
Safety top priority
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Canada26 October 2016
Safety is a top aspect of United Rentals. Daily huddles and stretches help start the day in a positive way. Monthly meeting set to help direct and educate the team.
Pros
team
Cons
micro managed
Took everything i could give, then cut me loose (diversity)
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB24 October 2016
Hours of employment where fair time for family given excellent benefits and fellow employees .Gave them everything I had moved about company as asked ,when things got tight they no longer needed me and cut me .
Excellent
Equipment Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB14 October 2016
Operations manager was laid back and fun, never had any issues with him.
Safety was implemented hugely within the company, and they always took care of employees.
Pros
BBQ, Golf Tourney
Ok place to start out
Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC12 October 2016
Go go go, but do it safe!! Also don't forget everything you do is on a performance timer/gps, so do it fast. Sometimes rush things too much and then punish us when we make little mistakes. Terrible dispatch, wrong addresses daily, wrong contact info given to drivers. Constantly sending tractor/trailer into areas that it shouldn't be going, no exit/no turn around residential areas when the job could have been done with a small truck. Good to get some experience under your belt and move on to a better place though.
Pros
Free lunches occasionally
Cons
Lots of computer junk, too many bosses
United Rentals summary
Summer Student - Equipment Associate (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NS21 September 2016
A work day here was always well busy and always met lots of new faces, dealing with the public in customer service and loading/unloading trucks and trailers. I learned a lot about how genie booms work as well as skid steers, jackhammers, plate dampers, concrete saws, pumps work. I cleaned and maintained a lot of the machinery on a daily basis, as when everything came back from being rented it needed to be cleaned and re inspected. my co workers were all friendly and easy to get along with and be part of a team.
Avoid United with the current econmic outlook they are on a downward spiral at the present time.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 July 2016
Co workers were fine, management wants brown nosers. if your not you will never get anywhere. Very numbers orientated company. management are a different class they treat workers in operations i.e the people who actually do the work like drivers techs ect like lower class citizens. always favour there own people and put people into positions without them having the proper qualifications. my operations manager was a joke. its all in who you know. will never work for a equipment rental company again. they pride themselves in having better customer service, better equipment and better trained employees than the completion and there prices are ridiculous. complete rubbish . Avoid for the time being. no job security they have bought out a lot of smaller companies and have gotten too big now there is a downwards trend and are on there knees with there huge overheads and corporate heavy managers.
not for everyone
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 June 2016
This position is not for everyone, it's great for some, and not for others. decent benefits, no work life balance. hourly employees have 24 hour cell phones. if you answer and start working on a weekend, you may not be paid for that time
Pros
monday to friday
Cons
too many cons. negative people, stressful for no reason, people love to pass things off to others
Great Company
Regional Business Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON12 May 2016
Great staff, always willing to help and never shied away from offering their knowledge and experience with the younger staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Rentals, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.