United Rentals, Inc.

United Rentals, Inc. Employee Reviews in Canada

Avoid United with the current econmic outlook they are on a downward spiral at the present time.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 18, 2016
Co workers were fine, management wants brown nosers. if your not you will never get anywhere. Very numbers orientated company. management are a different class they treat workers in operations i.e the people who actually do the work like drivers techs ect like lower class citizens. always favour there own people and put people into positions without them having the proper qualifications. my operations manager was a joke. its all in who you know. will never work for a equipment rental company again. they pride themselves in having better customer service, better equipment and better trained employees than the completion and there prices are ridiculous. complete rubbish . Avoid for the time being. no job security they have bought out a lot of smaller companies and have gotten too big now there is a downwards trend and are on there knees with there huge overheads and corporate heavy managers.
not for everyone
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 23, 2016
This position is not for everyone, it's great for some, and not for others. decent benefits, no work life balance. hourly employees have 24 hour cell phones. if you answer and start working on a weekend, you may not be paid for that time
Pros
monday to friday
Cons
too many cons. negative people, stressful for no reason, people love to pass things off to others
Great Company
Regional Business Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONMay 12, 2016
Great staff, always willing to help and never shied away from offering their knowledge and experience with the younger staff.
Big company with Big problems, no collaboration or respect amongst groups
former employee (Former Employee) –  AlbertaApril 12, 2016
Day to day work is easy and work / life balance is good, the pay is decent as well. Upper managment promotes change and open doors but all the problems betweens groups gets shelved and no solutions provided. No support to the managers who want to create a better environment and move employee's and processes forward. Money is waisted and jobs lost due to extremely poor execution of processes and people acountability. Many under experienced managers leading to bad moral and an unhappy work force. The list of problems in this company (seeming to be focused in the West soley) is long and would require alot more space to display. There is a lot of current employee's there whom take thier career and the customers seriously, they just need action's and solutions on the internal issues that plague this company to create growth and a better future.
Pros
work / life balance
Cons
to many to list
Great co workers horrible management
Heavy Equipment Field Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Conklin, ABApril 11, 2016
Made some good friends among my coworkers but management doesn't care or worry about the small people that make it all work, only about getting their bonuses.
Pros
great company paid health benefits
Cons
self centered middle and upper management
Lack of Qualified Leadership & Integrity
Employee (Former Employee) –  AlbertaFebruary 18, 2016
United Rentals of Canada needs to do a clean sweep of management for leadership qualifications.

Every leader I experienced; with exception of a few need to get a grasp on how to to be a leader, how to respect other people and most importantly take care of what makes United Rentals a great company to work for..... "it's hard working employees".

Legitimate complaints that can not be advertised on this forum always fall on deaf ears.
Pros
Great Peers and Customers
Cons
Unqualified Management
good
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEFebruary 18, 2016
Being able to work on a daily basis in order to achieve monthly budgets.Getting around to visit customerss and make new ones.
to have a good district manager for help when needed , not someone who knows nothing about the Industry..
Pros
people you meet
Cons
upper management
Productive and Fun Workplace
Shipper/Receiver/Customer Service/Parts (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABFebruary 5, 2016
Answer phones to take bookings for rental equipment and do work orders and parts. Book equipment in and out for customers and basic knowledge of running/operating rental equipment in a safe manor.
Pros
Great work environment
Challenging territory rquirements.
TERRITORY SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 14, 2016
Each day consisted of building and retaining solid long term customer relationships. I learned throughout my 30 year sales career that this is the foundation in building long term success.

Immediate management was a pleasure to work with. Upper Regional Management after the Corporate change in territory demographics left much to be desired.

My co- workers and I fed off one another to achieve the great success we enjoyed. The most challenging part of the job was the inability to rely upon the operating condition of our equipment upon site arrival.

I enjoyed the freedom and independence to establish and maintain accounts at my discretion. Upon each career change, in Fort Mc Murray, my customer retention attributes made each subsequent career move an even more pleasurable experience. Benefiting my new employer with immediate, pre-established new accounts. Reiterating once again, success in sales is based most critically upon maintaining quality long term relationships.
Pros
Freedom to do maintain my territory and work with outside service personnel..
Cons
Inadequate 'inside' service department.
Inside Sales Rep
Insides Sales representative (Current Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QCDecember 29, 2015
Inside Sales Rep, sales and rental of machinery to customer, dealing with big accounts and company buyers on a daily basis
great way to learn construction
Operations Manager,class one equipment hauler, (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCDecember 17, 2015
started at bottom worked to top can do all aspects of residential construction love creating houses building differant things being creative making dreams come true
A great company that provided many areas of on the job training.
Shipper/Receiver/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 13, 2015
A great company that provided many areas of on the job training,for example I can now operate many different types of heavy equipment and I learned to be a safety officer.
Pros
Lots of free training
Cons
Lots of odd ball hours.
Friendly work enviroment
Equipment Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 30, 2015
I love working for united rentals. The company itself is reliable and stable. The management is understanding and helpful.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
low pay
every one works good together
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SKJune 21, 2015
start up equipment, drive it into the wash bay, clean it, load equipment in customers vehicles or trailers,
the most enjoyable part of this job was I got to run the equipment.
some good people work there
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 1, 2015
Problem like every big company , you become a number , not about the people that work hard and do good for them they just chew u up and spit u out . When u get poor management that's what happens its about numbers and who can suck up to the managers gets the better positions even if they are loseing the company money funny how that works , not like it use to be when u did good worked hard u move up , but that's gone in big companys , now its back stabing , cut throat , very sad , united has a few good people honest hard working know how it should work but they are not in high positions , I also see if you are to smart , managers in the company don't like that , they don't want you to out do them , its about team work anymore , another sad thing about united.
Pros
not bad pay, or benifits
Cons
bad management in some branches
just a number
Truck Driver - tractor trailer (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONMarch 24, 2015
Left a great job because the guys at United Rentals dangled the carrot and made it sound all rosy with promises of good pay, benefits that rival school teachers and more family time.

Once I was in the door, I was on the road maxing out my driving hours every day all week and lots of sleeping out of town in a hotel(which comes out of the annual bonus).

They run you in to the ground and at the end of your 3 months, kick you to the curb before you get to those nice benefits. The week prior i had an excellent performance review and went out to a company sponsored supper for our branch winning the safety cup for eastern Canada.

The job ad they have posted for a driver in Sudbury, ON is my old job. It was posted the day after they canned me. Be warned!

The reason on my ROE is "shortage of work".

As stated above, this company is all about numbers and they will step on anyone in order to reach their goal(ie...truck idle time, how long it takes to flip a load and so on)

The truck was a 2013 Prostar with just over 200k km on it and it was down more than any truck i've ever seen. Left me sitting on the shoulder of the highway in -40 weather when the EGR outlet tube blew up.

The trucks are GPS'd and connected to a handheld computer that manages your logs. This system failed on a daily basis leaving me to try and mcgyver a paper log to match the digital one. The company has no idea how to deal with paper logs and i was told they don't keep them on file when you hand them in.

Keep your dignity and look elsewhere for work
Not a good job fit.
Class 1 Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 26, 2015
Not impressed with promised wage short-comings. Poor driver dispatch-communication. Digital dispatch system continually crash. Rushed attitude from management compromises safety.
Very cut throat management
Service manager (Former Employee) –  Stoney creekNovember 19, 2014
Terrible management. I would not recommend employment there to anyone. Upper management cares about one thing only and that is there year end bonus at the regular employees expense. You get sick of hearing "drink the cool aid" and things will be fine.
Cons
management, you are only a number.
no idea
Heavy Equipment Technician Journeyman (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 22, 2014
Its been so long since I've worked there I couldn't tell you what's its like to work for.
Pros
free lunches bonus
Cons
family ran
this company is going downhill fast
Inside Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Walkerton, ONNovember 11, 2013
to many people in charge, and not going in the right direction, poor management
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
poor management