United Rentals, Inc. Employee Reviews

Grate place to work and grate people to work with
Service Technician 3 (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS28 November 2016
United will provide most of the things you need to do your job. Boots, clothes, coveralls, jackets, gloves and hats. There are opportunity's to get training from manufactures.
Pros
buys lunch or coffee some times
Cons
spend more time talking about safety than working
Great work place
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 November 2016
I enjoyed the freedom and independence to establish and maintain my career.
Management is strong,they train their staff well.
Large Company
Power & HVAC Technical Sales rep (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 November 2016
- Management is strong,they train their staff well.
- Can be very political due to the number of employees, a lot of upper management.
Pros
management
Cons
Large company
Enjoyed my overall experience
Account Manager/ Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2016
Nice group to work for.
Co-workers were all great people.
The hardest part of the job was learning the different systems they have in place, and the corporate chain of command.
Not much training at the local level.
Overall, a great experience, from which I learned a great deal.
Great company, Fantastic benifits
HET Technician 2 (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB1 November 2016
All in all a good company to work for, hard to have much life outside of work if you're in a service truck though. Only real downsides are the regular miss communication you get with a company this size.
Pros
great bennifit package. Good people.
Cons
Intercomapny comunication lacking.
Safety top priority
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Canada26 October 2016
Safety is a top aspect of United Rentals. Daily huddles and stretches help start the day in a positive way. Monthly meeting set to help direct and educate the team.
Pros
team
Cons
micro managed
Took everything i could give, then cut me loose (diversity)
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB24 October 2016
Hours of employment where fair time for family given excellent benefits and fellow employees .Gave them everything I had moved about company as asked ,when things got tight they no longer needed me and cut me .
Excellent
Equipment Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB14 October 2016
Operations manager was laid back and fun, never had any issues with him.
Safety was implemented hugely within the company, and they always took care of employees.
Pros
BBQ, Golf Tourney
Ok place to start out
Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC12 October 2016
Go go go, but do it safe!! Also don't forget everything you do is on a performance timer/gps, so do it fast. Sometimes rush things too much and then punish us when we make little mistakes. Terrible dispatch, wrong addresses daily, wrong contact info given to drivers. Constantly sending tractor/trailer into areas that it shouldn't be going, no exit/no turn around residential areas when the job could have been done with a small truck. Good to get some experience under your belt and move on to a better place though.
Pros
Free lunches occasionally
Cons
Lots of computer junk, too many bosses
United Rentals summary
Summer Student - Equipment Associate (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NS21 September 2016
A work day here was always well busy and always met lots of new faces, dealing with the public in customer service and loading/unloading trucks and trailers. I learned a lot about how genie booms work as well as skid steers, jackhammers, plate dampers, concrete saws, pumps work. I cleaned and maintained a lot of the machinery on a daily basis, as when everything came back from being rented it needed to be cleaned and re inspected. my co workers were all friendly and easy to get along with and be part of a team.
Avoid United with the current econmic outlook they are on a downward spiral at the present time.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 July 2016
Co workers were fine, management wants brown nosers. if your not you will never get anywhere. Very numbers orientated company. management are a different class they treat workers in operations i.e the people who actually do the work like drivers techs ect like lower class citizens. always favour there own people and put people into positions without them having the proper qualifications. my operations manager was a joke. its all in who you know. will never work for a equipment rental company again. they pride themselves in having better customer service, better equipment and better trained employees than the completion and there prices are ridiculous. complete rubbish . Avoid for the time being. no job security they have bought out a lot of smaller companies and have gotten too big now there is a downwards trend and are on there knees with there huge overheads and corporate heavy managers.
not for everyone
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 June 2016
This position is not for everyone, it's great for some, and not for others. decent benefits, no work life balance. hourly employees have 24 hour cell phones. if you answer and start working on a weekend, you may not be paid for that time
Pros
monday to friday
Cons
too many cons. negative people, stressful for no reason, people love to pass things off to others
Great Company
Regional Business Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON12 May 2016
Great staff, always willing to help and never shied away from offering their knowledge and experience with the younger staff.
Big company with Big problems, no collaboration or respect amongst groups
former employee (Former Employee) –  Alberta12 April 2016
Day to day work is easy and work / life balance is good, the pay is decent as well. Upper managment promotes change and open doors but all the problems betweens groups gets shelved and no solutions provided. No support to the managers who want to create a better environment and move employee's and processes forward. Money is waisted and jobs lost due to extremely poor execution of processes and people acountability. Many under experienced managers leading to bad moral and an unhappy work force. The list of problems in this company (seeming to be focused in the West soley) is long and would require alot more space to display. There is a lot of current employee's there whom take thier career and the customers seriously, they just need action's and solutions on the internal issues that plague this company to create growth and a better future.
Pros
work / life balance
Cons
to many to list
Great co workers horrible management
Heavy Equipment Field Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB11 April 2016
Made some good friends among my coworkers but management doesn't care or worry about the small people that make it all work, only about getting their bonuses.
Pros
great company paid health benefits
Cons
self centered middle and upper management
Lack of Qualified Leadership & Integrity
Employee (Former Employee) –  Alberta18 February 2016
United Rentals of Canada needs to do a clean sweep of management for leadership qualifications.

Every leader I experienced; with exception of a few need to get a grasp on how to to be a leader, how to respect other people and most importantly take care of what makes United Rentals a great company to work for..... "it's hard working employees".

Legitimate complaints that can not be advertised on this forum always fall on deaf ears.
Pros
Great Peers and Customers
Cons
Unqualified Management
good
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE18 February 2016
Being able to work on a daily basis in order to achieve monthly budgets.Getting around to visit customerss and make new ones.
to have a good district manager for help when needed , not someone who knows nothing about the Industry..
Pros
people you meet
Cons
upper management
Productive and Fun Workplace
Shipper/Receiver/Customer Service/Parts (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 February 2016
Answer phones to take bookings for rental equipment and do work orders and parts. Book equipment in and out for customers and basic knowledge of running/operating rental equipment in a safe manor.
Pros
Great work environment
Challenging territory rquirements.
TERRITORY SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 January 2016
Each day consisted of building and retaining solid long term customer relationships. I learned throughout my 30 year sales career that this is the foundation in building long term success.

Immediate management was a pleasure to work with. Upper Regional Management after the Corporate change in territory demographics left much to be desired.

My co- workers and I fed off one another to achieve the great success we enjoyed. The most challenging part of the job was the inability to rely upon the operating condition of our equipment upon site arrival.

I enjoyed the freedom and independence to establish and maintain accounts at my discretion. Upon each career change, in Fort Mc Murray, my customer retention attributes made each subsequent career move an even more pleasurable experience. Benefiting my new employer with immediate, pre-established new accounts. Reiterating once again, success in sales is based most critically upon maintaining quality long term relationships.
Pros
Freedom to do maintain my territory and work with outside service personnel..
Cons
Inadequate 'inside' service department.
Inside Sales Rep
Insides Sales representative (Current Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QC29 December 2015
Inside Sales Rep, sales and rental of machinery to customer, dealing with big accounts and company buyers on a daily basis