United Nations

United Nations Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Human Rights
Fordham UN Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 3, 2012
What a great learning experience on an international level. Great networking opportunities and a wealth of information received to bring about change across the world.
Team leader of Security officers
Security Officer (Former Employee), BaghdadNovember 26, 2012
Pros: every thing was free ....
All days were my typical days and i have learned to work with multi nationalities and environment... our managment was an ideal managment and my co-workers were doing good .. the bad security sitiuation was the hardest part ....we all were working as a team work.
funworkplace
Nurse (Former Employee), Manila, P00November 18, 2012
Pros: free snacks
Cons: nice facilities
very challenging, peopel have full cparations pleasing and outsranding achievements
very tough to get a job here
operator (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 8, 2012
Pros: none because you will not get hired
Cons: none because you will not get hired
It is very tough to get a position here unless your great grandfather was a diplomat. A lot of politics and red tape.
The UN Secretariat is a massive bureaucracy run by professional international civil servants. It is a highly structured and rule-driven environment.
Business Analyst and Writer (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 17, 2012
Pros: great benefits for staff. permanent staff have good security.
Cons: difficult to adapt to organization.
The UN Secretariat may not be everyone's cup of tea. It is an interesting place to work because of the international character and the proximity to the General Assembly and Security Council and diplomatic activity.

On the other hand, it is governed by a vast accumulation of resolutions, information circulars, and staff rules. This can make it difficult – more... at times to make change. – less

OYAMA – March 7, 2013

I LIKE WORKING WITH UNITED NATIONS BECAUSE I LIKE BEEN A DIPLOMAT. SECOND, LIFE IS WORTLESS WITHOUT LIVING FOR OTHERS. UN MAKES ONE LEARN MORE ABOUT DIVERSE CULTURE, ETHNICITIES, AS WELL AS RELIGIOUS BACKGRAND.

cleaner,house keeping,kitchen porther,warehouse,picker and packer,security
Language assistant (Former Employee), UNMIT East TimorOctober 16, 2012
Pros: 1 hours meal break
Cons: if there serious case or police check point for the vehicle
I have 3 type of shift like early shift from 0700-1500 hrs,late shift 1500-2300 hrs,night shift 2300-0700 hrs, i have improve my computer skill ,and police job like how to arrest the suspect, attending some crime case,for the management is done well,I have good relationship with my co-workers we working as a team we help each other.night shift is the – more... hardest part is night shift,the mos enjoyable of the job is when I am busy doing translation for the UNPOL and also conducting Patrolling with the Police – less
Social Worker.
Social Worker (Former Employee), PakistanOctober 6, 2012
Pros: met a lot of new people
Cons: n/a
I liked working there, I have no complaints. During the day I had meetings daily with people, if there was any problem with schools, families, hospitals, etc. we report it to our main office and they take care of it.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Analyst assistant (INTERN) (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 30, 2012
The multicultural environment and the constant dialogue regarding international affairs provide the employee to develop a wider perspective from the current global issues. The environment is stimulating for analysis and development of new approaches to contemporary issues.
Working to make a difference
Senior Programme Officer (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 26, 2012
Engaging place to work with colleagues from 193 different countries, working on pressing world problems and solutions
Traditional and friendly environment
Marketing Intern at Yearbook Unit (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYSeptember 11, 2012
It's a good start of career and learned a lot about the inside roles.
Diverse workplace with great opportunities for travel and meeting people from all walks of life.
Asset Management Officer (Former Employee), Darfur, SudanSeptember 4, 2012
Pros: travel and greatoverall benefit package.
Cons: overally bureaucratic.
Due to its overly bureaucratic culture, the UN may seem that it's all about paper pushing and not really results driven like most private firms Stateside. However, once you learn the culture, you learn that you can achieve a lot more through your contact list and sometimes bypass the tedious and timeconsuming bureaucracy.
The very thing I was looking for
ASSISTANT (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 25, 2012
Highly disciplined environment.
High-energy, fast-paced.
UN/Dyncorp
Deputy Commander (Former Employee), Falls Church, VAAugust 16, 2012
Pros: benefits, pay, location, support
Cons: mission was not long enough
This is a mission to Bosnia under the UN with Dyncorp being the hiring agency. Such a gratifying experience in my career
Example: Productive and fun workplace
Procurement Asst (OIC) (Former Employee), Dubai, Kosovo, Sierra Leone, and SudanAugust 4, 2012
Pros: example: free lunches
Cons: example: long hours
Procure goods and services required by the mission in a competent, operationally-effective, efficient and timely manner, in accordance with UN procurement and financial rules, and internally-issued Procurement Guidelines.

1.1 Timely and efficient processing of high-quality solicitations for all assigned services and commodities.

1.2 Achieve and maintain – more... positive working dialog with Requisitioners and Vendors, thereby promoting efficient and cost-effective procurement in the best interests of the organization. In general, always strive to promote and ensure transparency, objectivity and integrity in all procurement-related actions.

1.3 Verify award recommendations made by Buyers to ensure that they are in accordance with UN procurement/financial rules and are made correctly and in the best interests of the organization.

1`4 Establish personal monitoring tools to enable efficient monitoring of status of assigned cases, ensuring continual progress and timely actions where required (e.g. updated status of on-going cases, updated delivery status, updated status of contract expiry dates).

1.5 Assist with the clearance of unliquidated obligations as early as it is possible to do so within the current FY.

1.6 Increase in outsourcing/contracted services; quantitative reduction in cases overall

1.7 Maintain quality procurement documentation/standard logs, according to UN procurement rules and internally-issued Procurement Guidelines.

1.8 Periodically review Buyer case files to ensure they tell a complete story, reflect proper procedures and are maintained in line with Procurement Guidelines.

1.9 Contribute to maintenance of all relevent logs used to monitor/record Section/Unit activities, as required (including but not limited to contracts log, status of requisitions).

1.10: Improve customer service and client-orientation.

1.11 Maintain a schedule of regular meetings with clients to facilitate better and timely communication and problem solving

1.12 Ensure that queries are acknowledged and/or responded to within two working days of receipt, whether from internal clients, external agencies, or vendors. – less
Contract editorial work
Freelance sub-editor (Former Employee), LondonJuly 24, 2012
This was a freelance contract, arranged by an agency, for the UN about clothing enterprises in the Third World and how they operate. I had to confirm to strict UN house rules in copy-editing regarding countries' names and their leaders' names - quite politically correct and detailed with a strict House Style sheet. The work was sent to me to work on – more... at home, with a deadline, in a series of Word Documents. I did not have a great degree of freedom in editing the text as my job was to ensure all the copy was consistent in style i.e. bullet points in lower case, subheads in bold with secondary headings in italics. It was neither hard nor enjoyable - boring for the most part and not that well paid either. – less
Intern
Intern, Climate Change Research (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 23, 2012
Pros: global topics
Cons: temporary position
Performed tasks related to the preparation of the Copenhagen Climate Summit, including researching climate change mitigation and adaptation measures and closely working with officials from 25 countries in gathering data and coordinating Climate Summit activities. Accomplishments: identified more than 20 issues affecting intellectual property transfer – more... related to alternative energy generation and distribution; drafted a 50-point list of recommendations on reducing the carbon impact, including a detailed research on replacing income taxation with CO2 taxation. – less
Healthy comfortable work environment
Supervisor (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 12, 2012
Pros: every one communicates
Cons: some time pay was late
early morning fast paced work cleaning offices an restrooms of 22 floors. i learned how to be a team player an diplomatic. I ran the cleaning company as my former boss the owner lives in another country. my co-wokers where more like family we have worked so many years together. the hardest part of the job was sometimes going a month or two with out – more... pay every one smiled an talked to each other sn flexibility – less
The most interesting job ever.
Chief of Building Engineering Services (Former Employee), Angola, AfricaJuly 7, 2012
Pros: the most interesting job ever.
Cons: the mission has a definite completion date.
Never dull, always new situations and new conditions. New cultures to learn from the natives, client groups of the UN staff, and my own staff. Each client group had different needs, but most groups worked together for the sake of the mission.
This was an absolutely fascinating position
Travel Consultant (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 27, 2012
Pros: dealing with situations i never dealt with previously
Cons: the commute was very difficult considering my home location
The days went by very quickly as we were always busy.I increased
my geographical knowledge(which was execellent when I started).
I also increased my knowledge of difficult and complicated itineraries.

Management was very strict considering the circumstances,but always very helpful.Co-workers were for the most part helpful and
friendly,though we didn't – more... have much time to communicate given the
work load.

The hardest part of the job was completing submitted itineraries in time for the traveler's departure,especially within Africa or Asia.

The most enjoyable part of the job was spending my time off in the
library and the adjacent map room,which was incredibly fascinating

Unfortunately,I was compelled to leave this position as I was caring for my terminally ill mother,and could not coordinate the commute
and care effectively to do both. – less
Harsh working eviroment but productive and supportive in all aspect of operations.
Central Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee), Darfur SudanJune 15, 2012
Pros: more vacations
Cons: restricted break time.
Having worked with the United Nations for the period of eight (8) years as warehouse assistant/Supervisor, I have gained more experience working with and supervising six (6) International Staffs. Dealing with each staff with respect,dignity, professionalism and respect for diversity as each of them are completely different nationals establishes a good – more... working relationship.Team work helped archieve organization goals and enhance warehouse productivity and meet deadline/timelines.Though the enviroment is very harsh and almost always hot but working with different nationals to obtaine one goal is significant. – less

About United Nations

The United Nations is an international organization founded in 1945 after the Second World War by 51 countries committed to maintaining – Read more