United Nations

United Nations Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great organization to be a part of
Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee), Montreal, Quebec, CanadaOctober 1, 2014
Constantly changing environment, fast pasted, interesting.
it was a temporare job
Head of awareness campaign department (Former Employee), depends on the taskJune 24, 2014
Pros: a school to learn in both life and work levels
Cons: high exposure of other miserable cultures
It was a great place to work in yet as a start in my career i wanted something stable
alright
Surveyor & Field Engineer (Former Employee), sawtMay 9, 2014
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
I like security guard work because it needs too much attention to details as will as wisdom patience mental and physical alertness
pharmacist (Former Employee), lebanonApril 1, 2014
Cons: interesting and much joy
a typical day is a day when I reach my work site a little bit earlier to have some time to discuss with my college in the previous shift about the problems that I may face, Smoothly solve any problem may appear, learn something new from senior co-workers, manage all situations properly and in safe way,
The hardest and most enjoyable part in security – more... guard job is the ability to protect the property of the employer with involving my self in the risk. – less
So much fun and the salary was really good
Interpreter and Translator (Former Employee), New york/HaitiOctober 31, 2012
Pros: free lunches, breakfast and dinner
Cons: certain things
Translate documents and Interpreting, receiving local people
I learn how to be a good soldier
Nothing to reproach
Some of my co-workers were very down to earth and enjoyable to work with
Hardest part was when I had to go to red zones....
Most enjoyable was all the privileges i had
Great place to start a career or to end a career.
Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 13, 2014
Pros: meet with very influenial people from all over the world
Cons: not in professional development and growth.
This is a very good place for recent grads to start a career or individuals nearing retirement to want to do something different.
Fun workplace an colleagues
Software Engineer (Former Employee), Wien, WNovember 3, 2014
Pros: low expenses, tax free shopping
Cons: short breaks, overtime
- Developing and working on platforms for internal staff, including databases, DWH
- Created and designed BIRT- Reports with Eclipse BIRT (MySQL, JavaScript, HTML, XML, JSP, JSQL, Java)
- Created transformations and jobs with ETL-Tool Kettle Pentaho
- Team activity management with Jira
- Version Control with EGit, GitLab, Git Bash
- Working on remote – more... development server(s) via Putty
- As well as responsible for small tasks on the Web Development Team
- Created "Website Usability Tests- Reports" (VRS, PICS, ARQ, PARIS PACT) – less
family-like working environment
Intern, Division of Sustainable Development (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 27, 2014
full-time intern..

…it is pretty good work place though very competitive to get into the organization for young professionals.

…treat others like your family members without differences in nationalities, colors and etc would always be very nice.

…make sure to take advantage of this opportunity and networking in some high-level meetings.
Productive, enjoy helping others when needed.
Mailroom clerk (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 23, 2014
Every morning we sort the mail that come in (3-4 buckets the most), after that around 9:30 we get ready to go on our mail runs throughout the building. If needed the Manager/Assistant manager would help us on what floor the mail should go if someone has moved on a different floor. Co-workers would help each other out if boxes are needed to be moved.
Everyone-Counts Culture
Assistant to Deputy Regional Director (Current Employee), Cairo, GAOctober 19, 2014
Pros: weekly breakfast gathering
Cons: almost no breaks with very stressful environment
I arrive very early in the morning; maybe an hour before time. During this hour, I manage to finish all tasks that need focus away from usual daily routine and/or interruptions. we have a breakfast gathering once a week to socialize and break the daily routine at work. Usually, it is Sunday. The hardest part of the job is that I have to go through painful – more... details about refugees, homeless, and sick people around the region. Accordingly, Management is having a lot of responsibilities to be achieved to support people. Meanwhile, the world is watching our work and achievements; mostly, critique is always ready and prepared. This include technical work and supportive work as well. This unfortunately creates a very stressful working environment. As my co-workers have the same difficulties of mine, we all try to show support and understanding to each other; mostly in funny way as well to absorb the stress and enjoy the high value added to societies and to ourselves. I would consider this supportive attitude is the most enjoyable part of the job. – less
I really enjoyed my employment with United Nations
Designer (Former Employee), Desoon, KoreaOctober 17, 2014
I was able to work with many people. I was constantly being assigned to different projects.
work environment culture
Field Monitor (Former Employee), BulawayoOctober 13, 2014
Interesting to work for, has a great work culture....the aspect of family
Adviser (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 11, 2014
⬥Worked on the post-2015 Development Agenda in consultation with all stakeholders, including Member States, Civil Society, Academia and Private Sector.
⬥ Provided analytical inputs, expertise and outreach on different issues within President’s Office.
⬥ Driving forward agenda of the General Assembly and to lead and facilitate the follow-up processes – more... on substantive mandates.
⬥Managed and prepared in close cooperation with UNESCO high level thematic debate on “Culture and Sustainable Development through 2015 Development Agenda”.
⬥Elaborated on high level thematic debate “The Role of Partnerships and their Contributions to the Post-2015 Development Agenda”.
⬥Elaborated on high level thematic debate “Ensuring Stable and Peaceful Societies in the Post 2015 Development Framework”.
⬥Working on High Level Forum on the “Culture of Peace” with civil society, academia, Member States in promoting and implementing GA mandated High Level Forum.
⬥Adviser on the fifth committee {Financial and Budgetary} Matters. – less
Fast paced, exciting environment
Peacekeeper (Former Employee), LiberiaSeptember 25, 2014
*Assisted in maintaining peace and order by ensuring that factions all stayed in their own location
*Met with leaders of different factions, sensitized them in order to facilitate discussions between warring groups
*Patrolled areas to promote peace
Happy Life in Limited Resources
UN Interpreter (Former Employee), KathmanduSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: chances of knowing life stories of combatants
Cons: not easy access to reach remote camps
While working as UNMIN Interpreter, the most enjoyable part of the life was seeing and understanding the daily life of ex-Maoist combatants in Nepal. Stationed into different camps with family members, both male and female combatants were very much happy with what the facilities were available in the camps, for the reason that they had fought in a decade – more... long armed conflict for a noble cause of state restructuring by ending all sorts of discrimination which were prevail in the Nepalese society under culture, caste, socio-political colours, and so on. As compared to their dream of attaining equality, their harsh life as I witnessed as a UN personnel within their camps was very minute. Everyday they had same level of courage to live for the society. Small conversations with them always used to indicate that they were proud of the life they had, and had never fear of death as death departed very close from their lives on many occasions during their guerrilla career.

I found they were almost iron men and women -- built with a strong foundation of ambition. In fact, I was blessed to learn in my life for the first time practically that which life do you choose: a life like a bed of roses of facilities just living to fulfill usual routine, or a very simple (and difficult life) with a missile of ambition to change the entire society? Finally, I came to realize that one should have a committed ambition to be a cause of change, which is always possible for those who have a will to do something.

Nevertheless, I always ask myself that if you have their towering ambition in your life and you follow democratic path to change entire society, how long does it take to transform any nation? – less
Productive Work Environment
Administrative Assistant to Senior Project Manager (Former Employee), New York NYSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: interesting people
Cons: short term position
The United Nations was an interesting working environment. There were many individuals from many walks of life. I learned alot from working from them.
Everyone works together great, and the mission statement makes it worthwhile
Market & Research Analyst Internship (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 13, 2014
My typical day included several administrative and assistant type roles. It was an internship, but the management that took over closer to the end of the time I was there, have good business strategy and are capable people. They are welcoming and always looking for your input.
Satisfying
Regional Security Officer and Special Agent (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: enjoying going to work everyday
Cons: new york taxes
Access Control, physical and procedural security development. Building international relationships. Turning the pages of history and working with a diverse collective of individuals with a broad cultural background.
A good place to expose yourself to a multicultural environment
Internship (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 7, 2014
A good place to expose yourself to a multicultural environment
Ambassador (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 29, 2014
A day at work was very intense.
Huge responsibility.
Staff was efficient and very capable.
Lack of experience was a big challenge.
Was rewarding to help others.

1 2 3 4 5

About United Nations

The United Nations is an international organization founded in 1945 after the Second World War by 51 countries committed to maintaining – Read more