United Airlines

United Airlines Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
the best airline to fly
Ticket Agent/Trainer (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 19, 2014
Pros: the free travel
Cons: the lay offs.
The only airline I fly domestically!\
They have the best airlines rewards program.

I loved volunteering for the community work we did while working there.

Management were always encouraging
and I loved the traveling.
Invaluable airline merger experience
Sr. Manager, Partner Marketing (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 14, 2014
Merging the world's largest frequent flyer program was a wonderful experience.
Flexible workplace but it is in a challenging industry.
Sr. Business Analyst (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 13, 2014
Pros: flextime and great location.
Cons: most it positions are now contractor positions only.
Excellent work/life balance.

Contractors are rarely hired as permanent employees anymore.
good
Food Service Department-Manager (Former Employee), Newark, NJMay 13, 2014
Pros: flight benifits
Cons: long hours
Hectic, have to be flexible, problem solve on your feet and willing to give a 100 percent.
Great, safe place to work
Lead Mechanic (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 12, 2014
Pros: flight benefits
Cons: too long between union contracts.
Safety is the most important thing at United. Everyone works as a team. Learned a lot from the training offered to me over the years. The hardest part of the job was losing retirement benefits because of bankruptcy.
Excellent Teams work culture
Supervisor Airport Operations (Former Employee), san franciscoMay 12, 2014
Pros: builds comraderie
everyday is a different challenge always meeting new people
Avionics Technician (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INMay 12, 2014
Pros: work facility
Cons: union shop
Worked in, probably, the best maintenance facility in the world. Great co-workers, some of who have remained good friends to this day.

Pay scale was fantastic.

My first and only airline job.

Loved what I did.

Hated being in the union.
Great company, not a lot of job security.
Account Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 9, 2014
Pros: some great managers, competitive salary and benefits.
Cons: there have been headcount reductions every year for the last two years..
There are many very capable and knowledgeable staff member at United. The merger has been a difficult process, but the company is working hard to improve the bottom line.
Very structured, lots of benefits
TBMSD (Former Employee), DTWRRMay 8, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: cross utilization
Fast paced, ever changing work environment. Predictable schedules, valuable benefits. I enjoyed the fast pace and helping my coworkers while working support. Hardest part would be the long hours, best reward was a job well done at the end of the day.
Was a great place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Rochester, NYMay 8, 2014
Pros: pay, flexability, benefits and coworkers
Cons: having to work on holidays
On any given day my responsibilities were to greet and check-in customers, while meeting any additional needs they would have. also boarded the customers at the gate. Occasionally I had to meet the daily challenges of rebooking customers due to, delays and cancellations. I enjoyed meeting the challenge of finding alternate travel plans for my customers.
One – more... of the most valuable things I learned was to not take things personal and that each person has their own specific needs.
I loved working with my coworkers. In that job, you really depend on each other to get the work done. We were a dysfunctional, functional family.
The hardest part of the job was having to depend on weather conditions and air traffic, for the reliability of in coming aircrafts.
Also being open 24/7. That meant having to work on holidays and being away fro family.
I really enjoyed building relationships with the weekly commuters that I saw every week.
I also worked part-time. – less
multinational company
Airport Operations Supervisor (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 7, 2014
Pros: fast paced environment. always have something new.
Cons: due to nature of the industry breaks are not always possible
the work environment is highly competitive. it encourages you to find your niche and make that your signature. we are continually striving to create a workplace that treats our coworkers with dignity and respect and maintain transparency amongst all levels from frontline coworkers through management.
Agent position is fun but has it's cons
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee), Newark, NJMay 6, 2014
Pros: free flying, hours are flexible, part times get medical like full timers
Cons: on bad weather days=long hours! inadequate managers and early start time 4am.
Worked for Continental Airlines before they merged with United Airlines. Since the merge, an agent position has become draining. Agents are given departure and arrival flights back to back. You literally become mentally and physically stressed after working just 4 hours, and 8 hour shift is even more tiring. Continental Airlines had a customer service – more... approach, but since the merge, United Airlines has a operational approach (yup you guessed it right, they seem not to care about their agents). It's all about getting the customers money! The only good thing about this job is, as I like to call it, it's a job with in a job. When you need extra money, you can always pick up hours from another employee and get paid for it. On a lighter note, if you take it with a grain of salt, you can have loads of fun working the gates. Some customers are fun and make the day goes by quickly! But, get ready to deal with the rude customers travelers, especially the over worked business travelers. – less
Fun and Exciting
Cross Util (Current Employee), Elmira/ Corning AirportMay 1, 2014
Pros: fun and easy going
Cons: only pt
A great place to work! There is never a dull or same day. It is always high paced and alot of fun in the summer and fall. Not much more I can tell you about it.
agents are great, advancements depends on you
Customer Service Representative director (Former Employee), Orlando, FLApril 29, 2014
Pros: unlimited trades...travel...advancement good.
Cons: new health care...high union dues
overall great place to work, all airlines work together to get passengers to their destination. management attentive.
No issues great place to work, safety first
Airframe and Power Plant Mechanic (A&P Technician) (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 29, 2014
Pros: good education
Cons: cannot think of any thing
Company kept up with your work progress and moved you forward as other positions. Great co workers. Some difficult situations such as changing landing gear. Good breaks Great training.
Good company to work for
Qualified Ramp Agent (Former Employee), London, ENGApril 26, 2014
Pros: cheap flights
Cons: unsociable hours
Only worked there for a short while (1 year) but enjoyed my exspereince working air-side at Heathrow.
Promotes Advancement from Within Organization
Clearance Team Representative-HR Administration (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 24, 2014
Pros: flexible work schedule
Awsome company to work for. Friendly managment and promotes career growth and opportunity from within organization.
Can create the lifestyle you want, work a lot or a little...
Flight Attendant (Current Employee), Denver, COApril 24, 2014
Everything is seniority based, not a lot of opportunity to grow, very little time given to developing current employees skills. Best benefit is that you can't take this job home.
A multitask position
Sr Support Rep for Commercial Receivables (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 24, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: due to out-sourcing and in-sourcing since 9/1987 my years do not count toward seniority
Every day began with assisting employees throughout the company with multiple problems concerning our new billing program. Balanced previous days accounting using cash application clerks' logs and/or any entries made that affect the general ledger. I have worked with some of my co-workers for 2+ yrs and others for almost 27yrs. The hardest part of the – more... job is making sure there were no issues unresponded to or corrected which involves many emails daily. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with my co-workers in-office and abroad domestically and internationally. – less
United
Ramp Serviceman (Former Employee), Newark, NJApril 24, 2014
Pros: flight benefits for friends and family, ability to pick up and give away hours
Cons: pay could be just a little better, job security is terrible
Great company to work for only if you have 10+ years in. Anything below that you are at risk of furlough.

About United Airlines

Now taking off: Your career At United®, we are thriving in the culture that our employees have helped to create, one that – Read more

United Airlines Photos