Registered Practical Nurse – Lawrence Heights
(full time, permanent)
Unison Health and Community Services was formed by the voluntary merger of New Heights Community Health Centres and York Community Services. Unison’s mission - working together to deliver accessible and high quality health and community services that are integrated, respond to needs, build on strengths and inspire change.
We are seeking a Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) to join our multidisciplinary team at the Lawrence Heights Site. The position will provide clinical support, perform certain laboratory procedures, maintain equipment and medical, laboratory and pharmaceutical supplies, deliver health promotion, disease prevention education and home support services.
1. Co-ordinate care for clients as delegated.
2. Perform triage and triage support for Medical Secretary.
3. Provide support to other providers through obtaining vital signs, height and weight, visual screenings and urine checks for clients prior to their visit with clinician.
4. Book ordered diagnostic tests and appointments with specialists, assist when necessary with the maintenance of recall system, communicating the appropriate information with the clients and documenting in the client’s chart where appropriate.
5. Assist with administrative clinical follow-up such as calling clients with test results and requesting follow-up appointments as required.
6. Assist with ensuring exam rooms, medical supplies cupboards, labs and clinicians’ offices are kept stocked.
7. Order vaccines and ensure vaccine supplies are kept stocked and storage meets Public Health standards as it pertains to maintenance of the cold chain.
8. Ensure exam rooms, medication and medical supplies cupboards, labs and clinicians’ offices are cleaned and maintained to the established standard.
9. Maintain the availability of sterile clinical equipment by autoclaving as necessary.
10. Assist with the maintenance and ordering of equipment and supplies as necessary.
11. Maintain complete, accurate and timely client records and encounter data, participate in chart and case reviews and support client education.
12. Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated experience working as a Registered Practical Nurse in a community and/or public health setting.
- Demonstrated expertise in medical laboratory procedures.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of medical and laboratory terminology, medical record procedures and charting, universal precautions and other current health and safety hazards.
- Registration as a Registered Practical Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including an evening per week as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively independently and as a member of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to work within a community-based context, with a culturally diverse community.
- Effective communication, interpersonal, organizational and administrative skills, including computer literacy skills specific to job requirements.
- Knowledge of issues affecting communities facing barriers to access in an urban environment.
- Ability to speak a second language an asset.
- 1-2 years experience in a community-based setting.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a résumé with covering letter by 5:00 p.m., May 17, 2013 to:
RPN Hiring Committee
Unison Health and Community Services
12 Flemington Road
Toronto ON M6A 2N4
We particularly encourage applicants who are reflective of the diversity of our communities. While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for interview will be contacted.