Union Gospel Mission Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace to help the homeless
Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 January 2017
I love working with people specially with people that live on the street and dont have much money so i complinmize what they can afford.. When i walk in to my job that i tell my staff just to have a positive attitude no manner how you feeling. i learned that i can help someone that they can feel good about the store and making them feel that they want to come back. I try my best for all of my co-workers feel that they are part of the team. The hardest part of the job is to make sure that i have everything together as a team. The most enjoyable part of the job is that i walk in the store feeling great and knowing I can makes the different..
A community of deeply loving people and clients that left you exausted at the end of the day but, wanting to do more to make a difference.
SENIOR COUNSELOR / PASTORAL CARE (Former Employee) –  Mission, BC18 April 2016
I was a dream fulfilled. I felt challenged and loved every where I turned. I learned to love people no matter what culture or beliefs they came from. I learned to accept everyone the way Christ loved and accepted everyone. It taught me how to try to balance my management schedule and yet when to say no. I saw a lot of death, loss and grief in many people that had been hurt by government, culture, family etc. that learning to trust God and people in the ministry made it very difficult.
Pros
Given the opprotunity to meet with people where they were.
Cons
When my son was born with life challanges, management forgot to meet my wife and I in the turmoil we were in, they expected me to keep up with my job responsibilities.
Great work environment
Outreach Worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 February 2016
The best part of working with UGM is the love and passion it has with the demographics and community. UGM has many great services and staff that really care about the community they work in.
Pros
Free meals, great work environment and benefits.
Cons
Low pay scale
Productice high energy fun workplace
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 April 2015
A typical day at work we are normally busy. Making food hampers for drop in clients, on the phone with many societies in regards to shelters, housing, health concerns. clients coming in for one on one information. I learned to take one client at a time don't promise anything and follow through not only with your clients but to keep your co-workers in the loop of what your doing to a healthy team work attitude. Management is awesome they are always on your side with what ever decision you are making. Hardest part of the job is when there are no shelters or places able to take clients. Most enjoyable when you are to fulfill all the needs of the client. for example having their teeth fixed at no cost giving them food hampers, finding them shelter. helping apply for welfare and them getting it.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Its only a on call postion
a good place to work!
Receptionist P/T (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 June 2014
UGM is a non-profit organization. The work that they do is a great support for the community. They have excellent programs for anyone would be interested to get involved with recovery, the homeless has their unique / wonderful place to congregate daily. the cook prepared a nutritional meal. People in different walks of life can access help through the outreach support worker. Its impossible to meet every one's need, however, UGM always do their best.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
less hours work
A place where every person is shown dignity and respect
Ministry Support Worker/Volunteer in Outreach (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 January 2014
* Facilitating guests in a safe, warm and effective way
* Help serving food and helping the order of things to run smooth, with the need for people to start eating in an effective manner due to 450 people in the building within a few hours
*being patient and having the ability to empathicly listen to every person who comes your way is a great challenge, and great opportunity
Pros
Community atmosphere, with free lunches
Cons
Casual position, not many hours
Productive learning environment
Counsellor in addictions & substance dependence (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 August 2013
Each day was challenging and rewarding. Management did an excellent job working with difficult situations. Co-workers were exceptional and pleasant. Hardest part of job: seeing clients leave the program early. Most enjoyable part of job: providing stability and balance for clients who were able to complete the program.
Pros
Great pragmatic experiences.
Cons
It was only part-time.