Underwriters Laboratories Employee Reviews

Good working conditions
Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILApril 22, 2016
Compelling company mission. Project was challenging and interesting. My team was intelligent and knowledgeable. We were able to capture the Oracle financial processes to complete our project goals.
Pros
Scenic location, good parking, excellent onsite cafeteria.
Cons
Working with another onsite consulting company.
ok
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 24, 2016
This company is an older company still stuck in their ways. If youre looking for a paycheck with zero work/life balance this company is for you
Come here if you want to do nothing at work
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILFebruary 18, 2016
It is great if you want to sit and have minimal work. Antiquated. Pretty much all you need to know. Expect a nice easy, unfullfilling career here.
Very good office environment with the best training programmes
Financial Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  İstanbul, T34January 27, 2016
My duties were more managerial rather than operational so I was making my day planning according to my meetings and conference calls. I always made time to coordinate and made plans with my team. I learned to manage people and be an effective team member at the same time. The hardest and the most enjoyable part of the job, at the same time, was working with a lot of people from all around the world. Working with different cultures made me more understanding and adjustable.
Pros
Free lunch\ Healthcare
It was a good experience working for a safer world.
Safety Evaluation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bangalore, KAJanuary 27, 2016
Good company to work for freshers as we get to learn a lot about safety standards and requirements. It always gives satisfaction that we are working foe a company that makes the world a safer place.
productive greatest place I ever worked
Engineers administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILDecember 17, 2015
A typical day depends on what you make it, there's plenty of work to do and everyone is there to help. Management was wonderful and so was the co-workers, the hardest part of the job is staying focus, with so much interesting activities going on, you sometimes forget you were at work
Pros
Lunches, break when you want and always employees appreciation dinners
Enjoyed the work load
Account Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILNovember 12, 2015
When I worked at Underwriters Labs in the accounts receivable department, I was never at a loss of things to do. I was able to drive myself to get a lot of work completed.
Pros
Large work load.
Cons
NA
Account Executive, Medical Device (Former Employee) –  BostonOctober 25, 2015
UL has a right mix of people to run the organization. Management is fair. The compliance world is always changes and UL trys to stay ahead of the competition. I left this company to take a risk on a start up, I wish I would go back!
Contract position - Temp to hire
Assist field representatives (Former Employee) –  Camas, WASeptember 16, 2015
Customer service representative hired as permanent employee after one year. A lot to learn at this company. Even after so many years there was always something new to learn.
Difficult daily grind.
Technical Consultant (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTAugust 31, 2015
Seems like a nice place to work on the surface but management invokes too many policies that undermine teamwork and calibration between different departments that are already needlessly split into sub-departments. Uneven accountability as some employees are held reasonably accountable while others not at all, usually associated with their managers ego. Absentee HR for rank and file workers.

Great starting salary but near impossible to stay above the inflation rate after that.
Pros
Safety, starting salary
Cons
Poor teamwork, Cronyism and nepotism, Almost no opportunity for advancement, Disjointed management spread too thinly
Great Company/ Long Commute
Engineering Project Handler (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYJuly 29, 2015
My typical day at work consists of writing emails, evaluating products (fittings, conduit, metallic outlet boxes, grounding conductors) to UL standards. From there I send them to the lab for testing. Once testing is complete and compliant I give them a listing mark.
Pros
Coworkers, flexibility
Cons
Pay, commute to work
Exciting and challenging place to work
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILJuly 4, 2015
Fast paced tempo. You get out what you put into it. As long as you have a good attitude and a willing to learn the company can be rewarding in the end.
Solid, organized and productive work environment
Contractor for collections project (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILApril 6, 2015
Underwriters Laboratories is a solid and well organized company that provides a stable work environment that allows it's employees to be very productive and encourages a team spirited culture.
Pros
Stable, organized and good managers
Cons
Would work there again if possible.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILMarch 31, 2015
My time there under a number of different managers was well spent. Not too many major issues and consider this one of the highlights of my working career.
Good Company to Work For
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILMarch 17, 2015
My position was eliminated but many others have enjoyed great job security with this company for many years. It is a good company to work for.
Pros
Good atmosphere and friendly people
Cons
It grows and shrinks like any other large company
Innovative culture, strong ethics
Consultant - Contract (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILMarch 11, 2015
Good working environment, high team spirit, strong ethics. Culture is very positive. Change management and communication is being addressed at the highest level to allow for improvements in the credit function.
beautiful grounds, hands on/machinery involved
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILMarch 5, 2015
It was a good experience, taught the value of hard work as you start at 6:30 and get off at 3 pm. Working all day with your hands and operating machinery to fit the engineers specifications. Co-workers are very friendly and helpful. Hardest part of the job was the time crunch for a lot of the projects, the company is located on beautiful grounds!
Great company culture
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  台北市, TPEFebruary 27, 2015
I worked for the IT department as a 2nd tier desktop support, and I liked the IT team and the working environment.
The management team did a good job and brought the US-based company's culture into Taiwan, including no over-time working.
The hardest part of job could be the yearly inventory count, which contains thousands of IT assets that needs to be counted and verified one by one.
I enjoyed this job to communicate with the users and solve their issues.
Pros
Lunch time is longer than other companies
need more field representives
Field Representative (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILFebruary 17, 2015
3rd party inspection company
dedicated workers
lots of travel ( I traveled 1500+ miles each month)
wrote most safety standards for products
Excellent Teamwork, knowledge in various fields
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTFebruary 9, 2015
Working for UL provided a chance to work with many high level individuals with various skills internally. Also in a sales role I was able to work and learn with many companies in a wide spectrum of fields.
Pros
chance to learn numerous areas of business
Cons
business could be unpredictable