Underwriters Laboratories

Underwriters Laboratories Employee Reviews

Not the best place to work
Lab Tech 1 (Former Employee) –  Melville, NY15 October 2016
UL is primarily an engineering company. They certify electrical products. Engineers will deconstruct a product and set up a testing program. Each product is a project and employees will be appraised as to how many projects are completed. The job ends up to be one of production with fierce competition between employees.
There are many departments and each has its own management. These managers seem to have their own rules. Some definitely play favorites, some are fair.
Excellent Company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Northbrooks4 September 2016
Great Safety Mission. If you work hard and stay visible to managers, advancement opportunities will come. You have the ability transfer to different areas at the company as well. Decent training but it keeps evolving to make improvements.
Pros
Great company mission. You feel like family with other staff members on your team.
Cons
Must have the ability multti task well and be very productive to complete many projects at one time, several company changes may come at the same time..
autonomous work enviroment with support from the office
Food Safety Auditor Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Agoura Hills, CA28 May 2016
This position is a great position for self starters and highly organized individuals such as myself.

A typical day at work.
1. Review previous days numbers and follow up with team employees about their days and help develop employees on how to be more efficient and effective in their daily planning
2. Review client list and drive to locations.
-Audit client facilities and provide training to client employees on site
-Meet with clients and provide classroom style training when requested by clients
-Train, Coach and Mentor Employees
Pros
Car allowance, Gas Card, Travel around the world
Cons
Heavy Travel
friendly employees
Summer Trainee (Former Employee) –  New Delhi, Delhi16 September 2016
Employees are not only good in their own sectors but also good in the other sectors for the company, so everyone in the company never try to hide for the opportunity for helping other employees.
Pros
free transportation
Laboratory Technician in the Softlines Department (Current Employee) –  Winnersh13 July 2016
• Main Duties: Laboratory Technician in the Softlines Department at UL working in fibre composition. Clients send in a piece of fabric or a garment for fibre identification and also determination of the percentages of different fibres present via a microscope, chemical extractions and various calculations. The results are made into a report and sent back to the client for evaluation. I will later be cross-trained on different fabric techniques investigating colourfastness, stability and physical properties of materials.
• Skills: Gained experience of working in a textiles laboratory. Able to comply with EU and global rules and regulations easily. Interpret test results and prepare reports, whilst communicating with clients regarding tests, equipment and results. Helping to train other staff in specific test methods and enhancing my mathematical skills when carrying out a range of different calculations.
Product Safety company
Project Coordinate (Former Employee) –  North brook, IL11 August 2016
Well known Product Safety company with a long tradition. Started my career with the Business Excellence office and advanced to Project Coordinator with the Continuous Improvement department .
Great
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL3 October 2016
It has a decent work life balance. The pay is decent as well. I would recommend this company as a company where one can stay and build a career. The people are very easy to get along with.
Good working conditions
Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, IL22 April 2016
Compelling company mission. Project was challenging and interesting. My team was intelligent and knowledgeable. We were able to capture the Oracle financial processes to complete our project goals.
Pros
Scenic location, good parking, excellent onsite cafeteria.
Cons
Working with another onsite consulting company.
Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Camas, WA15 June 2016
Hard working, attention to detail, ready to take on multiple projects. I am vary competitive and take on any tasks. handling contracts as well as manufactures. Must be able to think clearly on your own and have to ability to adjust.
Associate Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bangalore, Karnataka25 May 2016
Good Experience and fun filled. But it is too long to travel. Need 14 hrs to finish the wor ka nd go back to home. From banshankari to uttarahalli too long to travel. But nice company to work.
Pros
free cab
Cons
long journey
Productive, never a dull moment
Collection and Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, IL20 June 2016
Fast pace environment, always new projects and goals. Companies hires a lot of independent contractors, no medical benefits and compensations.
Very good office environment with the best training programmes
Financial Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  İstanbul, T3427 January 2016
My duties were more managerial rather than operational so I was making my day planning according to my meetings and conference calls. I always made time to coordinate and made plans with my team. I learned to manage people and be an effective team member at the same time. The hardest and the most enjoyable part of the job, at the same time, was working with a lot of people from all around the world. Working with different cultures made me more understanding and adjustable.
Pros
Free lunch\ Healthcare
productive greatest place I ever worked
Engineers administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, IL17 December 2015
A typical day depends on what you make it, there's plenty of work to do and everyone is there to help. Management was wonderful and so was the co-workers, the hardest part of the job is staying focus, with so much interesting activities going on, you sometimes forget you were at work
Pros
Lunches, break when you want and always employees appreciation dinners
Great place to work!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, IL26 February 2016
While the pay wasn't the best, I enjoyed going to work each day! Worked with nice people, learned a lot, and management was awesome. Cafeteria on the premises, workout room, swimming pool, etc.
Pros
Great work environment
It was a good experience working for a safer world.
Safety Evaluation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bangalore, KA27 January 2016
Good company to work for freshers as we get to learn a lot about safety standards and requirements. It always gives satisfaction that we are working foe a company that makes the world a safer place.
Come here if you want to do nothing at work
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, IL18 February 2016
It is great if you want to sit and have minimal work. Antiquated. Pretty much all you need to know. Expect a nice easy, unfullfilling career here.
ok
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL24 February 2016
This company is an older company still stuck in their ways. If youre looking for a paycheck with zero work/life balance this company is for you
Difficult daily grind.
Technical Consultant (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CT31 August 2015
Seems like a nice place to work on the surface but management invokes too many policies that undermine teamwork and calibration between different departments that are already needlessly split into sub-departments. Uneven accountability as some employees are held reasonably accountable while others not at all, usually associated with their managers ego. Absentee HR for rank and file workers.

Great starting salary but near impossible to stay above the inflation rate after that.
Pros
Safety, starting salary
Cons
Poor teamwork, Cronyism and nepotism, Almost no opportunity for advancement, Disjointed management spread too thinly
Account Executive, Medical Device (Former Employee) –  Boston25 October 2015
UL has a right mix of people to run the organization. Management is fair. The compliance world is always changes and UL trys to stay ahead of the competition. I left this company to take a risk on a start up, I wish I would go back!
Enjoyed the work load
Account Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, IL12 November 2015
When I worked at Underwriters Labs in the accounts receivable department, I was never at a loss of things to do. I was able to drive myself to get a lot of work completed.
Pros
Large work load.
Cons
NA