Underwriters Laboratories Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
It was a good experience working for a safer world.
Safety Evaluation Engineer (Former Employee), Bangalore, KAJanuary 27, 2016
Good company to work for freshers as we get to learn a lot about safety standards and requirements. It always gives satisfaction that we are working foe a company that makes the world a safer place.
productive greatest place I ever worked
Engineers administrative assistant (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILDecember 17, 2015
Pros: Lunches, break when you want and always employees appreciation dinners
Cons: none
A typical day depends on what you make it, there's plenty of work to do and everyone is there to help. Management was wonderful and so was the co-workers, the hardest part of the job is staying focus, with so much interesting activities going on, you sometimes forget you were at work
Enjoyed the work load
Account Receivable Clerk (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILNovember 12, 2015
Pros: Large work load.
Cons: NA
When I worked at Underwriters Labs in the accounts receivable department, I was never at a loss of things to do. I was able to drive myself to get a lot of work completed.
Account Executive, Medical Device (Former Employee), BostonOctober 25, 2015
UL has a right mix of people to run the organization. Management is fair. The compliance world is always changes and UL trys to stay ahead of the competition. I left this company to take a risk on a start up, I wish I would go back!
Contract position - Temp to hire
Assist field representatives (Former Employee), Camas, WASeptember 16, 2015
Customer service representative hired as permanent employee after one year. A lot to learn at this company. Even after so many years there was always something new to learn.
Difficult daily grind.
Technical Consultant (Former Employee), Enfield, CTAugust 31, 2015
Pros: Safety, starting salary
Cons: Poor teamwork, Cronyism and nepotism, Almost no opportunity for advancement, Disjointed management spread too thinly
Seems like a nice place to work on the surface but management invokes too many policies that undermine teamwork and calibration between different departments that are already needlessly split into sub-departments. Uneven accountability as some employees are held reasonably accountable while others not at all, usually associated with their managers ego. Absentee HR for rank and file workers.

Great starting salary but near impossible to stay above the inflation rate after that.
Great Company/ Long Commute
Engineering Project Handler (Current Employee), Melville, NYJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Coworkers, flexibility
Cons: Pay, commute to work
My typical day at work consists of writing emails, evaluating products (fittings, conduit, metallic outlet boxes, grounding conductors) to UL standards. From there I send them to the lab for testing. Once testing is complete and compliant I give them a listing mark.
Exciting and challenging place to work
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILJuly 4, 2015
Fast paced tempo. You get out what you put into it. As long as you have a good attitude and a willing to learn the company can be rewarding in the end.
Solid, organized and productive work environment
Contractor for collections project (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILApril 6, 2015
Pros: Stable, organized and good managers
Cons: None
Underwriters Laboratories is a solid and well organized company that provides a stable work environment that allows it's employees to be very productive and encourages a team spirited culture.
Would work there again if possible.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILMarch 31, 2015
My time there under a number of different managers was well spent. Not too many major issues and consider this one of the highlights of my working career.
Good Company to Work For
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Good atmosphere and friendly people
Cons: It grows and shrinks like any other large company
My position was eliminated but many others have enjoyed great job security with this company for many years. It is a good company to work for.
Innovative culture, strong ethics
Consultant - Contract (Current Employee), Northbrook, ILMarch 11, 2015
Good working environment, high team spirit, strong ethics. Culture is very positive. Change management and communication is being addressed at the highest level to allow for improvements in the credit function.
beautiful grounds, hands on/machinery involved
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILMarch 5, 2015
It was a good experience, taught the value of hard work as you start at 6:30 and get off at 3 pm. Working all day with your hands and operating machinery to fit the engineers specifications. Co-workers are very friendly and helpful. Hardest part of the job was the time crunch for a lot of the projects, the company is located on beautiful grounds!
Great company culture
IT Specialist (Former Employee), 台北市, TPEFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: Lunch time is longer than other companies
Cons: None
I worked for the IT department as a 2nd tier desktop support, and I liked the IT team and the working environment.
The management team did a good job and brought the US-based company's culture into Taiwan, including no over-time working.
The hardest part of job could be the yearly inventory count, which contains thousands of IT assets that needs to be counted and verified one by one.
I enjoyed this job to communicate with the users and solve their issues.
need more field representives
Field Representative (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILFebruary 17, 2015
3rd party inspection company
dedicated workers
lots of travel ( I traveled 1500+ miles each month)
wrote most safety standards for products
Excellent Teamwork, knowledge in various fields
Account Executive (Former Employee), Enfield, CTFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: chance to learn numerous areas of business
Cons: business could be unpredictable
Working for UL provided a chance to work with many high level individuals with various skills internally. Also in a sales role I was able to work and learn with many companies in a wide spectrum of fields.
Great vision, poor execution
Inside Sales (Current Employee), Camas, WAFebruary 2, 2015
The idea behind UL is that of public safety. When someone asks me what I do for a living I am proud to say I help make the world a safer place. That being said UL is not a good company to work for if you expect to advance. Many potions are considered dead end jobs and most positions are very poorly managed. They do not have the systems in place to bring success to their team. Year after year we watch the company management spin the company in circles. Most people here are happy, it is a solid work environment. If UL and it's management could get out of it's own way this would be a much better company to work for as well as I am sure it would be a thriving business. As it stands I feel they are running themselves into the ground.
Unstable and not willing to change
Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: great co-workers and life/work balance
Cons: endless layoffs, not willing to move employees around to fill new positions.
Great company mission but very unorganized. Constantly acquiring new companies while having endless layoffs. Multiple layers of management.
Technically styled company
Content Development/Analyst (Current Employee), Laramie, WYJanuary 6, 2015
Polishing my attention to detail. Currently learning a new language (engineering terminology and units), while improving my knowledge and experience of Excel as well as working with a team towards a common goal. Familiarized myself with in house software as well as company specific guidelines and requests.

I have learned about various engineering terms, units, and test methods. I have also worked with excel and the different functions within excel.

The hardest part of my job has been becoming familiar with the units and expects values for properties as I am not an engineer and do not have that background. I have taught myself ranges for most used properties to understand if values are out of the ordinary.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the people I work with. Although I am 1 of 2 women, the youngest, and the only person in my department without prior engineering experience, my coworkers are a pleasure to be around and are truly my favorite part of going to work.
No job security
Laboratory technician (Former Employee), MelvilleJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: flex time, some honest folks
Cons: open door policy, only to put you on the layoff list . lots of back stabing
Fun and challenging work . unstable work environment. Lots of favoritism towards relative employees and bar buddies. You will move up the ladder fast if you hang with the bosses at the bar with a yes sir attitude. Group leaders tend to feel threaten if you are to proficient , you are targeted whenever you speak up.