Underwriters Laboratories

need more field representives
Field Representative (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILFebruary 17, 2015
3rd party inspection company
dedicated workers
lots of travel ( I traveled 1500+ miles each month)
wrote most safety standards for products
Excellent Teamwork, knowledge in various fields
Account Executive (Former Employee), Enfield, CTFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: chance to learn numerous areas of business
Cons: business could be unpredictable
Working for UL provided a chance to work with many high level individuals with various skills internally. Also in a sales role I was able to work and learn with many companies in a wide spectrum of fields.
Great vision, poor execution
Inside Sales (Current Employee), Camas, WAFebruary 2, 2015
The idea behind UL is that of public safety. When someone asks me what I do for a living I am proud to say I help make the world a safer place. That being said UL is not a good company to work for if you expect to advance. Many potions are considered dead end jobs and most positions are very poorly managed. They do not have the systems in place to bring success to their team. Year after year we watch the company management spin the company in circles. Most people here are happy, it is a solid work environment. If UL and it's management could get out of it's own way this would be a much better company to work for as well as I am sure it would be a thriving business. As it stands I feel they are running themselves into the ground.
Unstable and not willing to change
Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: great co-workers and life/work balance
Cons: endless layoffs, not willing to move employees around to fill new positions.
Great company mission but very unorganized. Constantly acquiring new companies while having endless layoffs. Multiple layers of management.
Technically styled company
Content Development/Analyst (Current Employee), Laramie, WYJanuary 6, 2015
Polishing my attention to detail. Currently learning a new language (engineering terminology and units), while improving my knowledge and experience of Excel as well as working with a team towards a common goal. Familiarized myself with in house software as well as company specific guidelines and requests.

I have learned about various engineering terms, units, and test methods. I have also worked with excel and the different functions within excel.

The hardest part of my job has been becoming familiar with the units and expects values for properties as I am not an engineer and do not have that background. I have taught myself ranges for most used properties to understand if values are out of the ordinary.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the people I work with. Although I am 1 of 2 women, the youngest, and the only person in my department without prior engineering experience, my coworkers are a pleasure to be around and are truly my favorite part of going to work.
No job security
Laboratory technician (Former Employee), MelvilleJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: flex time, some honest folks
Cons: open door policy, only to put you on the layoff list . lots of back stabing
Fun and challenging work . unstable work environment. Lots of favoritism towards relative employees and bar buddies. You will move up the ladder fast if you hang with the bosses at the bar with a yes sir attitude. Group leaders tend to feel threaten if you are to proficient , you are targeted whenever you speak up.
Productive most exciting and enjoying job I ever had
Customer Service Specialist and Mail Room (Former Employee), Camas, WADecember 9, 2014
Pros: they make sure their employees know they are appreciated
Cons: average pay
Fun and exciting company to work for. There is a great balance of hard work and employee appreciation. They use cutting edge management styles which help in such a fast paced work environment,
Medicore, middle of the road, just get by
Project Manager (Former Employee), Melville, NYJune 5, 2014
Pros: flexible hours, good work / life balance
Cons: politics and old school boys club
If you want to just show up at the same time every day, take lunch the same time every day, and go home the same exact time every day with no hope for advancement then this is the place for you.

There may be some hope for promotion. If you're part of the boys club or are a "yes" person then you stand a far better chance for promotion.

Co-workers are hit or miss. Some are nice, wonderful people that you can commiserate with and create a support network. Others, and there are many that are psychotic time bombs waiting to explode. In fact, some have. Everyone knows who they are but no one does or says anything. Its just tolerated.

Hardest part of the job is keeping your cool and coping with the underlying insanity.

Most enjoyable part of the job is any small success and when you leave for the day or weekend.
Busy Corporation many changes
Coordinator (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILMay 22, 2014
Busy, Busy Busy
Customer focused
Management - fair
Flexible
Political
Good Company
Field Representative II, NDT Level II, Part-Time (Current Employee), Brea, CAApril 22, 2014
Good Company with excellent benefits and perks. Steady work with room for career development.
Very large office space with many cubicles.
Engineering Aide (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILMarch 24, 2014
Pros: relaxed work environment. very friendly people.
Cons: the pay was not good.
Everyday was an enjoyable day.

I learned about how products and components are tested for consumer safety. I learned about Engineering. This is where I first learned about computers and I also taught myself to type there.

The management was very supportive and promoted learning.

My co-workers were friendly and helpful. I was attending school at the time and they would assist me with my schoolwork if I needed help.

There wasn't anything hard about this job. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
acceptable place to work people there very helpful
Engineering Leader and Facilities Manager (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMarch 17, 2014
UL presented to me a workplace which allowed me to be creative and grow in leadership.
N/A
Manager R&D Compliance Regulation UL IEC FDA (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Very conservative company. However, I excelled in their work environment. Enjoyed working with and leading staff.
Enjoyed working with such great people
U.S. Marketing Lead Service Associate (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILDecember 12, 2013
Wonderful place to work for. Enjoyed meeting new faces everyday. Management took care of the employees very well. Enjoyed having very flexible hours with great pay and benefits.
Great company with a valuable mission
Staff Engineer (Former Employee), Plano, TXDecember 9, 2013
Pros: good work-life balance.
Cons: slow decision-making by upper management.
Enjoyed working at UL for 20+ years. The company has evolved significantly in the last 10 years in particular. They have acquired a number of companies that provide niche services, many not related to the traditional safety mission.
Enjoyable and hectic environment
Collector II (Former Employee), Arnhem, GENovember 25, 2013
Pros: nice atmosphere and team work
Cons: the human ressources
Being a part of UL International was great, it was nice to work in a team with people from different nationalities and to help each others, Sometimes you could spend a few weeks on the same key account customer to fix the issues and get them to pay.
Good place to start
Engineering Technician (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILOctober 22, 2013
Pros: good place to start
Cons: don't stay to long
Good place to start.
Good place to learn from good people.
Good café food.
Good hours for family.
Interesting Company
Senior Engineering Associate (Former Employee), Research Triangle Park, NCOctober 15, 2013
This is one of the most difficult positions I have ever held, due to the complexity of the overall process, the vagueness of the Standards, and the inability of Reviewers to provide consistent responses to reviews and interpretation of the Standards. Every project was a challenge to complete.
Good job security
Project Engineer (Former Employee), Northbrook, ILSeptember 23, 2013
Good place to work if you like job security and want to feel comfortable with both your coworkers and your position as an engineer.
Great Experience
Data Entry (Former Employee), Enfield, CTAugust 20, 2013
I worked here over the summer of 2012 and enjoyed working with the team. There was a diversity of talented professionals along with a friendly environment. Every day involved different paces due to the flow of spreadsheets. This job taught me how to be a team player in the office environment. The job also gave me insights as to how important quality assurance is to the industry.

About Underwriters Laboratories

Products that pass the muster of this company get the UL symbol of approval. Underwriters Laboratories (UL) is one of the world's – Read more