Underwriters Laboratories

Underwriters Laboratories Employee Reviews

autonomous work enviroment with support from the office
Food Safety Auditor Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Agoura Hills, CAMay 28, 2016
This position is a great position for self starters and highly organized individuals such as myself.

A typical day at work.
1. Review previous days numbers and follow up with team employees about their days and help develop employees on how to be more efficient and effective in their daily planning
2. Review client list and drive to locations.
-Audit client facilities and provide training to client employees on site
-Meet with clients and provide classroom style training when requested by clients
-Train, Coach and Mentor Employees
Pros
Car allowance, Gas Card, Travel around the world
Cons
Heavy Travel
Good working conditions
Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILApril 22, 2016
Compelling company mission. Project was challenging and interesting. My team was intelligent and knowledgeable. We were able to capture the Oracle financial processes to complete our project goals.
Pros
Scenic location, good parking, excellent onsite cafeteria.
Cons
Working with another onsite consulting company.
Very good office environment with the best training programmes
Financial Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  İstanbul, T34January 27, 2016
My duties were more managerial rather than operational so I was making my day planning according to my meetings and conference calls. I always made time to coordinate and made plans with my team. I learned to manage people and be an effective team member at the same time. The hardest and the most enjoyable part of the job, at the same time, was working with a lot of people from all around the world. Working with different cultures made me more understanding and adjustable.
Pros
Free lunch\ Healthcare
Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Camas, WAJune 15, 2016
Hard working, attention to detail, ready to take on multiple projects. I am vary competitive and take on any tasks. handling contracts as well as manufactures. Must be able to think clearly on your own and have to ability to adjust.
productive greatest place I ever worked
Engineers administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILDecember 17, 2015
A typical day depends on what you make it, there's plenty of work to do and everyone is there to help. Management was wonderful and so was the co-workers, the hardest part of the job is staying focus, with so much interesting activities going on, you sometimes forget you were at work
Pros
Lunches, break when you want and always employees appreciation dinners
Cons
Associate Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bangalore, KarnatakaMay 25, 2016
Good Experience and fun filled. But it is too long to travel. Need 14 hrs to finish the wor ka nd go back to home. From banshankari to uttarahalli too long to travel. But nice company to work.
Pros
free cab
Cons
long journey
Great place to work!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILFebruary 26, 2016
While the pay wasn't the best, I enjoyed going to work each day! Worked with nice people, learned a lot, and management was awesome. Cafeteria on the premises, workout room, swimming pool, etc.
Pros
Great work environment
It was a good experience working for a safer world.
Safety Evaluation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bangalore, KAJanuary 27, 2016
Good company to work for freshers as we get to learn a lot about safety standards and requirements. It always gives satisfaction that we are working foe a company that makes the world a safer place.
Come here if you want to do nothing at work
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILFebruary 18, 2016
It is great if you want to sit and have minimal work. Antiquated. Pretty much all you need to know. Expect a nice easy, unfullfilling career here.
ok
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 24, 2016
This company is an older company still stuck in their ways. If youre looking for a paycheck with zero work/life balance this company is for you
Difficult daily grind.
Technical Consultant (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTAugust 31, 2015
Seems like a nice place to work on the surface but management invokes too many policies that undermine teamwork and calibration between different departments that are already needlessly split into sub-departments. Uneven accountability as some employees are held reasonably accountable while others not at all, usually associated with their managers ego. Absentee HR for rank and file workers.

Great starting salary but near impossible to stay above the inflation rate after that.
Pros
Safety, starting salary
Cons
Poor teamwork, Cronyism and nepotism, Almost no opportunity for advancement, Disjointed management spread too thinly
Account Executive, Medical Device (Former Employee) –  BostonOctober 25, 2015
UL has a right mix of people to run the organization. Management is fair. The compliance world is always changes and UL trys to stay ahead of the competition. I left this company to take a risk on a start up, I wish I would go back!
Enjoyed the work load
Account Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILNovember 12, 2015
When I worked at Underwriters Labs in the accounts receivable department, I was never at a loss of things to do. I was able to drive myself to get a lot of work completed.
Pros
Large work load.
Cons
NA
Great Company/ Long Commute
Engineering Project Handler (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYJuly 29, 2015
My typical day at work consists of writing emails, evaluating products (fittings, conduit, metallic outlet boxes, grounding conductors) to UL standards. From there I send them to the lab for testing. Once testing is complete and compliant I give them a listing mark.
Pros
Coworkers, flexibility
Cons
Pay, commute to work
Contract position - Temp to hire
Assist field representatives (Former Employee) –  Camas, WASeptember 16, 2015
Customer service representative hired as permanent employee after one year. A lot to learn at this company. Even after so many years there was always something new to learn.
Great company culture
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  台北市, TPEFebruary 27, 2015
I worked for the IT department as a 2nd tier desktop support, and I liked the IT team and the working environment.
The management team did a good job and brought the US-based company's culture into Taiwan, including no over-time working.
The hardest part of job could be the yearly inventory count, which contains thousands of IT assets that needs to be counted and verified one by one.
I enjoyed this job to communicate with the users and solve their issues.
Pros
Lunch time is longer than other companies
Cons
beautiful grounds, hands on/machinery involved
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILMarch 5, 2015
It was a good experience, taught the value of hard work as you start at 6:30 and get off at 3 pm. Working all day with your hands and operating machinery to fit the engineers specifications. Co-workers are very friendly and helpful. Hardest part of the job was the time crunch for a lot of the projects, the company is located on beautiful grounds!
Exciting and challenging place to work
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILJuly 4, 2015
Fast paced tempo. You get out what you put into it. As long as you have a good attitude and a willing to learn the company can be rewarding in the end.
Solid, organized and productive work environment
Contractor for collections project (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILApril 6, 2015
Underwriters Laboratories is a solid and well organized company that provides a stable work environment that allows it's employees to be very productive and encourages a team spirited culture.
Pros
Stable, organized and good managers
Great vision, poor execution
Inside Sales (Current Employee) –  Camas, WAFebruary 2, 2015
The idea behind UL is that of public safety. When someone asks me what I do for a living I am proud to say I help make the world a safer place. That being said UL is not a good company to work for if you expect to advance. Many potions are considered dead end jobs and most positions are very poorly managed. They do not have the systems in place to bring success to their team. Year after year we watch the company management spin the company in circles. Most people here are happy, it is a solid work environment. If UL and it's management could get out of it's own way this would be a much better company to work for as well as I am sure it would be a thriving business. As it stands I feel they are running themselves into the ground.