Ultramar Employee Reviews

Working alone without any supervisors around
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 February 2017
Working at Ultramar taught me how to be independent on the job. The managers finished their weekday shift at 5pm which meant after 5pm and on weekends (which is when I mostly worked) I was by myself and had no one there to help me if something went wrong.

As you can imagine, there were very difficult times when a gas pump was not working or if the car wash door was stuck. Being put on the spot with having to come up with a solution to make the customer happy and return in the future taught me a valuable lesson to stay calm and think of all the possible solutions.

Most of the time I would figure it out peacefully, but other times I would not shy away from admitting that there was no possible solution and kindly refund the customer. The important part would be to make sure the customer left satisfied and understand that some things were out of my control.
Pros
Being able to study during quiet periods
Cons
being all alone in a hut for 9 hours
Busy, Easy, Great job for student
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Youngs Point, ON16 February 2017
This company/job was pretty enjoyable within the time I was there. It involved being a cashier which was typically easy. I would scan the items presented, add gas if it was purchased, and process the transaction. Some days were spent stocking shelves, mopping floors and basic cleaning however that was once in a blue moon. The store I worked at, the owners typically did that kind of stuff. So in my opinion, it was great job! I would highly recommend this to any summer student or someone who is looking for part time. There's nothing crazy about it and you learn quite a bit!
Pros
Learn how to professionally communicate with people. Discounted treats. Many skills to be learned!!!
Cons
Sometimes rude customers but that goes with any job usually.
People I work with are amazing
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS16 December 2016
A typical day at work includes, counting in, greeting customers, scanning customers items, cleaning, doing maintenance outside.
My co-workers are amazing. There is no hard part to my job. The most enjoyable part of my job is when the customers leave the store with a smile on their face.
Cardlock systems
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 February 2017
Amazing opportunity to see the Cardlock systems go from an idea to actual implementation.

I was given the opportunity to then go into sales which gave me the insight to the customer and how it could benefit his day to day operations of their business.
Pros
Great product amazing people
Keeps you busy.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Porters Lake, NS1 June 2016
There is a lot more work and security protocol behind working at a gas station then one would think. Gave adequate training time. Understanding, fun and willing to help co-workers and management. Some shorter days were used to just come in and make sure everything is stocked and tidy, other days were filled with handling customers purchasing gas, lotto and other goods. There were also times were I assisted and handled the Robin's Donuts side of the store. A smaller establishment with select items. On the Robin's Donuts side I was responsible for taking orders, preparing and then the cleaning of hot beverages and baked goods.
Pros
Free coffee, great people
Cons
Always on feet
test site challenge accepted
Gérante (Former Employee) –  Dollard-Des Ormeaux, QC23 February 2016
When I was promoted to a bigger store, the store itself was under renovations to become bigger and offer more. We also became the site for testing new programs for our gas pumps as well as cash registers. I must admit that it was quite challenging most of the time but then again, you learn a lot. We also had two high schools that were within walking distance so we had to set up a security detail with the employees in order to survive the lunch hours, before the school opened and when it closed.
Pros
challenging and rewarding
Cons
long hours which doesn't allow a personal life
A fun place to work, but unfortunately unbalanced.
Cashier/Sales/Baker (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB28 December 2014
The job in itself was simple, and the customer base was awesome, never in my 5 years there did I have to deal with a truly difficult customer. I liked working there but unfortunately I found the benefits to be minimal, and there was not much incentive to achieving any of the goals set in place. I found the favoritism between management and employees to be a bit dysfunctional as well, people being rewarded or having a good word said to them when others did all of the work.
Really focused on costumer care
Commis (Former Employee) –  Terrebonne, QC13 July 2016
There are few regular costumer, some more sociable than other's.
Mostly 1 person per shift so you dont get to meet other employee in a regular base.
Long hours, self oriented environment
Cash Register Attendant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 January 2016
This work was at a gas station so I always worked alone. There was no teamwork it was very self oriented and had to solve problems all m=by myself with no help or advice.
Pros
Free time
good place to work
Cashier /Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 March 2016
good place to work , lots of things to learn, good shifts, always work available. no chance of moving ahead. no a greatest management.
Productive and always had tasks to keep me busy
Cashier overnight (Former Employee) –  ontario, ottawa11 September 2015
i would clean the store, while serving clients and stocking the shelves. I would bake for the items on the bakery list. I would exchange lottery tickets and update the lottery winning. Sometimes i had to shovel outside when it snowed and keep the area clean and garbage empty. The hardest pat of the job would be when drunk or disorderly people would come into the store and create chaos. I was enjoying when i had regulars come and have a small chat and exchanged a smile before they began their days. My co-workers where helpful when i had questions and in need of help. I learned that customer relations job is fun and brings new challenges ith dfferent kinds of people you meet. The management was good and they took their job seriously, which was an insperation.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
sometimes it gets lonely
Wonderful Work Environment.
Cashier / Senior Staff (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL18 April 2016
Great Staff, Wonderful learning experience, over-all a wonderful place to work. Would recommend working here for anyone post secondary.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS10 February 2016
My years as an employee at ultramar were excellent. i was happy to be apart of the team. I really enjoyed being the assistant manager!
Gave me more experience.
good place to work.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 February 2016
Good Place to work if you are a hard working, lot of things to learn,
hard part is 24 hours you have to be available, lot to learn and grow.
Fun work environment, very fast paced and very friendly customers
Senior Staff (Former Employee) –  Pictou, NS14 August 2013
Typical day at work was busy, yet enjoyable, I enjoyed waiting on such friendly customers, most of who were recurring customers.
Manager and co-workers were good people to work with.
The hardest part of the job were that there was no flexibility in the hours, resulting in no work/life balance.
The most enjoyable part of the job was that I was kept busy, and I really enjoyed the customers which made the job that much better.
Cons
no flexibility in the work hours.
Fast paced, high volume, understaffed and stressful work environment
Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, On15 November 2014
8 hour shifts without a single break. Not allowed to sit down at any point. Only smokers get relieved for breaks. Distrustful management with a tendency to micromanage. Favouritism is evedent. Any loss is blamed on cashiers. Disregard for employee rights and safety. Food service side is run improperly. New employees go without pay for months. Gas pumps are outdated. Store has a reoccuring rodent problem. Short staffed, therefore unable to call in sick. Seniority and work ethic mean nothing. "Higher-ups" are condescending and rude to employees.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
No breaks
A outgoing place .
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON30 April 2013
I loved working night shifts at Ultramar. The customers were always polite and respectfull . Working at the ultramar I learned alot . Such as operating the lotto machien , security systems , Gas pumps . I was able to be on routine with cleaning . The night shifts were great , As there was hours it would be completly dead and you can complete task , times where you have the odd customer aswell as rush hour . I was able to learn to work in all the above enviorments .
I had a great boss who would take his time to show me something if i didnt understand. Very responable as well determind. Never say you can't . The shifts were get as well . I was not promised a lot of hours as thats what i was looking for . But he managed to get me to work 3 to 4 days a week .
Pros
regular customers .
Cons
Running the store my self . ( was very different, but i enjoyed it ).
A simple and positive workplace
Gas Attendant & Retail (Former Employee) –  Memramcook, NB11 November 2014
I enjoyed working at Ultramar in general. In a regular day, I serve a lot of customers with a positive attitude. I have learned a lot from working there; My social skills have improved, I handle money very well, I can operate cash registers well (Cash register, lottery terminal, computer, etc.) and I can serve multiple customers at the same time. I had a full-time position, so I worked Monday to Friday. The co-workers did not cause any drama, and we get along fairly easy. The hardest thing about this job is the location; it's far away from any major city. Moncton is the closest town, yet it's located almost 30 minutes away. But, the job itself is simple, Even though it can get quite busy at times, I still seem to enjoy it and I don't feel like struggling.
Pros
Simplicity, positive atmosphere
alright
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL3 July 2015
fun work place with supportive management. not all about numbers but how you personally grow and develop. decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Cons
Fast paced workplace where I learned many new skills
Cashier/ Baker (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB23 January 2014
A typically day at work here is pretty straight forward, fast paced job to keep me always on my feet, always something to do to keep me busy. I learned many valuable life skills such as customer service, sales, and also the food service industry such as sandwich making and also baking. I have worked there for a long time so my co workers became kind of like a family, we all got along and worked very well together. The toughest part of my job were running cash and bakery when I was working by myself in the store, but it kept for a busy and fast paced shift. The most enjoyable part of my job are my co workers, we get along so well and whenever there is a new recruit we make sure he or she feels welcome.
Pros
Great co workers, excellent place to show my customer service skills.
Cons
No scheduled breaks, so we couldn't be off cash for more than 10 minutes at a time unless it was an emergency.