Ultramar Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Wonderful Work Environment.
Cashier / Senior Staff (Former Employee), St. John's, NLApril 18, 2016
Great Staff, Wonderful learning experience, over-all a wonderful place to work. Would recommend working here for anyone post secondary.
good place to work
Cashier /Bookkeeper (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 14, 2016
good place to work , lots of things to learn, good shifts, always work available. no chance of moving ahead. no a greatest management.
good place to work.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 23, 2016
Good Place to work if you are a hard working, lot of things to learn,
hard part is 24 hours you have to be available, lot to learn and grow.
test site challenge accepted
Gérante (Former Employee), Dollard-Des Ormeaux, QCFebruary 23, 2016
Pros: challenging and rewarding
Cons: long hours which doesn't allow a personal life
When I was promoted to a bigger store, the store itself was under renovations to become bigger and offer more. We also became the site for testing new programs for our gas pumps as well as cash registers. I must admit that it was quite challenging most of the time but then again, you learn a lot. We also had two high schools that were within walking distance so we had to set up a security detail with the employees in order to survive the lunch hours, before the school opened and when it closed.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Bedford, NSFebruary 10, 2016
My years as an employee at ultramar were excellent. i was happy to be apart of the team. I really enjoyed being the assistant manager!
Gave me more experience.
Long hours, self oriented environment
Cash Register Attendant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Pros: Free time
Cons: Long hours
This work was at a gas station so I always worked alone. There was no teamwork it was very self oriented and had to solve problems all m=by myself with no help or advice.
I found it was a good company to work for.
Gas Station Cashier (Former Employee), Trenton, ONNovember 3, 2015
I enjoyed working at Ultramar because I was able to learn some skills that I did not have and also I was able to help people with their purchases. I was respectful and therefore I got respect back.
productive workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), Saint-Laurent, QCOctober 4, 2015
Pros: nice coworkers
Cons: the environment
It was a gas station,which is not secure all the time, but my co-workers, the managers were great to work with. It was the first official job that I had, and I am grateful to my manager. I learn about customer service, how to give a fast and efficient service.
Productive and always had tasks to keep me busy
Cashier overnight (Former Employee), ontario, ottawaSeptember 11, 2015
Pros: free coffee
Cons: sometimes it gets lonely
i would clean the store, while serving clients and stocking the shelves. I would bake for the items on the bakery list. I would exchange lottery tickets and update the lottery winning. Sometimes i had to shovel outside when it snowed and keep the area clean and garbage empty. The hardest pat of the job would be when drunk or disorderly people would come into the store and create chaos. I was enjoying when i had regulars come and have a small chat and exchanged a smile before they began their days. My co-workers where helpful when i had questions and in need of help. I learned that customer relations job is fun and brings new challenges ith dfferent kinds of people you meet. The management was good and they took their job seriously, which was an insperation.
alright
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee), Corner Brook, NLJuly 3, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: none
fun work place with supportive management. not all about numbers but how you personally grow and develop. decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Well Managed Workplace
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee), Orleans, ONMay 16, 2015
I would check in and take over the cash, if i had a night shift then I would be able to leave the cash to complete other tasks on the list. During day shifts another employee would be able to complete the other tasks while I worked cash or vice versa.
A fun place to work, but unfortunately unbalanced.
Cashier/Sales/Baker (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBDecember 28, 2014
The job in itself was simple, and the customer base was awesome, never in my 5 years there did I have to deal with a truly difficult customer. I liked working there but unfortunately I found the benefits to be minimal, and there was not much incentive to achieving any of the goals set in place. I found the favoritism between management and employees to be a bit dysfunctional as well, people being rewarded or having a good word said to them when others did all of the work.
Fast paced, high volume, understaffed and stressful work environment
Station Attendant (Former Employee), Kingston, OnNovember 15, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: no breaks
8 hour shifts without a single break. Not allowed to sit down at any point. Only smokers get relieved for breaks. Distrustful management with a tendency to micromanage. Favouritism is evedent. Any loss is blamed on cashiers. Disregard for employee rights and safety. Food service side is run improperly. New employees go without pay for months. Gas pumps are outdated. Store has a reoccuring rodent problem. Short staffed, therefore unable to call in sick. Seniority and work ethic mean nothing. "Higher-ups" are condescending and rude to employees.
A simple and positive workplace
Gas Attendant & Retail (Former Employee), Memramcook, NBNovember 11, 2014
Pros: simplicity, positive atmosphere
Cons: location
I enjoyed working at Ultramar in general. In a regular day, I serve a lot of customers with a positive attitude. I have learned a lot from working there; My social skills have improved, I handle money very well, I can operate cash registers well (Cash register, lottery terminal, computer, etc.) and I can serve multiple customers at the same time. I had a full-time position, so I worked Monday to Friday. The co-workers did not cause any drama, and we get along fairly easy. The hardest thing about this job is the location; it's far away from any major city. Moncton is the closest town, yet it's located almost 30 minutes away. But, the job itself is simple, Even though it can get quite busy at times, I still seem to enjoy it and I don't feel like struggling.
good learning experience
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Durham Region, ONNovember 4, 2014
difficult always working alone but it gave me the experience with customer service
a typical day
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: customers
Cons: co-workers - office space sometimes gets the best of people
this was an office - not many customers came in - but to deal with them over the phone was interesting the most enjoyable part of the job really has helping customers
Hardwork and Long Days
Gas Attendant (Current Employee), Cobourg, ONAugust 31, 2014
Start early morning and work till about 5 in the afternoon. Lots of heavy lifting. Must be good with tools and precise measurements.
Amazing people to work with.
Store clerk (Former Employee), New Minas Nova ScotiaMay 9, 2014
Over all my time at Ultramar was very good. But back in Nova Scotia there was really no spot for advancement at all unless someone moved away or retired.
over all good, gave me good experience
Support Staff (Former Employee), Sainte-agathe-des-monts, QCMarch 3, 2014
Gained great customer service experience, time management skills, organization skills.
Fast paced workplace where I learned many new skills
Cashier/ Baker (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: great co workers, excellent place to show my customer service skills.
Cons: no scheduled breaks, so we couldn't be off cash for more than 10 minutes at a time unless it was an emergency.
A typically day at work here is pretty straight forward, fast paced job to keep me always on my feet, always something to do to keep me busy. I learned many valuable life skills such as customer service, sales, and also the food service industry such as sandwich making and also baking. I have worked there for a long time so my co workers became kind of like a family, we all got along and worked very well together. The toughest part of my job were running cash and bakery when I was working by myself in the store, but it kept for a busy and fast paced shift. The most enjoyable part of my job are my co workers, we get along so well and whenever there is a new recruit we make sure he or she feels welcome.