Ultramar Employee Reviews

Working alone without any supervisors around
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 February 2017
Working at Ultramar taught me how to be independent on the job. The managers finished their weekday shift at 5pm which meant after 5pm and on weekends (which is when I mostly worked) I was by myself and had no one there to help me if something went wrong.

As you can imagine, there were very difficult times when a gas pump was not working or if the car wash door was stuck. Being put on the spot with having to come up with a solution to make the customer happy and return in the future taught me a valuable lesson to stay calm and think of all the possible solutions.

Most of the time I would figure it out peacefully, but other times I would not shy away from admitting that there was no possible solution and kindly refund the customer. The important part would be to make sure the customer left satisfied and understand that some things were out of my control.
Pros
Being able to study during quiet periods
Cons
being all alone in a hut for 9 hours
Busy, Easy, Great job for student
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Youngs Point, ON16 February 2017
This company/job was pretty enjoyable within the time I was there. It involved being a cashier which was typically easy. I would scan the items presented, add gas if it was purchased, and process the transaction. Some days were spent stocking shelves, mopping floors and basic cleaning however that was once in a blue moon. The store I worked at, the owners typically did that kind of stuff. So in my opinion, it was great job! I would highly recommend this to any summer student or someone who is looking for part time. There's nothing crazy about it and you learn quite a bit!
Pros
Learn how to professionally communicate with people. Discounted treats. Many skills to be learned!!!
Cons
Sometimes rude customers but that goes with any job usually.
Keeps you busy.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Porters Lake, NS1 June 2016
There is a lot more work and security protocol behind working at a gas station then one would think. Gave adequate training time. Understanding, fun and willing to help co-workers and management. Some shorter days were used to just come in and make sure everything is stocked and tidy, other days were filled with handling customers purchasing gas, lotto and other goods. There were also times were I assisted and handled the Robin's Donuts side of the store. A smaller establishment with select items. On the Robin's Donuts side I was responsible for taking orders, preparing and then the cleaning of hot beverages and baked goods.
Pros
Free coffee, great people
Cons
Always on feet
People I work with are amazing
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS16 December 2016
A typical day at work includes, counting in, greeting customers, scanning customers items, cleaning, doing maintenance outside.
My co-workers are amazing. There is no hard part to my job. The most enjoyable part of my job is when the customers leave the store with a smile on their face.
Cardlock systems
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 February 2017
Amazing opportunity to see the Cardlock systems go from an idea to actual implementation.

I was given the opportunity to then go into sales which gave me the insight to the customer and how it could benefit his day to day operations of their business.
Pros
Great product amazing people
test site challenge accepted
Gérante (Former Employee) –  Dollard-Des Ormeaux, QC23 February 2016
When I was promoted to a bigger store, the store itself was under renovations to become bigger and offer more. We also became the site for testing new programs for our gas pumps as well as cash registers. I must admit that it was quite challenging most of the time but then again, you learn a lot. We also had two high schools that were within walking distance so we had to set up a security detail with the employees in order to survive the lunch hours, before the school opened and when it closed.
Pros
challenging and rewarding
Cons
long hours which doesn't allow a personal life
good place to work
Cashier /Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 March 2016
good place to work , lots of things to learn, good shifts, always work available. no chance of moving ahead. no a greatest management.
Really focused on costumer care
Commis (Former Employee) –  Terrebonne, QC13 July 2016
There are few regular costumer, some more sociable than other's.
Mostly 1 person per shift so you dont get to meet other employee in a regular base.
Productive and always had tasks to keep me busy
Cashier overnight (Former Employee) –  ontario, ottawa11 September 2015
i would clean the store, while serving clients and stocking the shelves. I would bake for the items on the bakery list. I would exchange lottery tickets and update the lottery winning. Sometimes i had to shovel outside when it snowed and keep the area clean and garbage empty. The hardest pat of the job would be when drunk or disorderly people would come into the store and create chaos. I was enjoying when i had regulars come and have a small chat and exchanged a smile before they began their days. My co-workers where helpful when i had questions and in need of help. I learned that customer relations job is fun and brings new challenges ith dfferent kinds of people you meet. The management was good and they took their job seriously, which was an insperation.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
sometimes it gets lonely
A fun place to work, but unfortunately unbalanced.
Cashier/Sales/Baker (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB28 December 2014
The job in itself was simple, and the customer base was awesome, never in my 5 years there did I have to deal with a truly difficult customer. I liked working there but unfortunately I found the benefits to be minimal, and there was not much incentive to achieving any of the goals set in place. I found the favoritism between management and employees to be a bit dysfunctional as well, people being rewarded or having a good word said to them when others did all of the work.
Long hours, self oriented environment
Cash Register Attendant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 January 2016
This work was at a gas station so I always worked alone. There was no teamwork it was very self oriented and had to solve problems all m=by myself with no help or advice.
Pros
Free time
Wonderful Work Environment.
Cashier / Senior Staff (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL18 April 2016
Great Staff, Wonderful learning experience, over-all a wonderful place to work. Would recommend working here for anyone post secondary.
alright
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL3 July 2015
fun work place with supportive management. not all about numbers but how you personally grow and develop. decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Cons
Fast paced, high volume, understaffed and stressful work environment
Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, On15 November 2014
8 hour shifts without a single break. Not allowed to sit down at any point. Only smokers get relieved for breaks. Distrustful management with a tendency to micromanage. Favouritism is evedent. Any loss is blamed on cashiers. Disregard for employee rights and safety. Food service side is run improperly. New employees go without pay for months. Gas pumps are outdated. Store has a reoccuring rodent problem. Short staffed, therefore unable to call in sick. Seniority and work ethic mean nothing. "Higher-ups" are condescending and rude to employees.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
No breaks
Fun work environment, very fast paced and very friendly customers
Senior Staff (Former Employee) –  Pictou, NS14 August 2013
Typical day at work was busy, yet enjoyable, I enjoyed waiting on such friendly customers, most of who were recurring customers.
Manager and co-workers were good people to work with.
The hardest part of the job were that there was no flexibility in the hours, resulting in no work/life balance.
The most enjoyable part of the job was that I was kept busy, and I really enjoyed the customers which made the job that much better.
Cons
no flexibility in the work hours.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS10 February 2016
My years as an employee at ultramar were excellent. i was happy to be apart of the team. I really enjoyed being the assistant manager!
Gave me more experience.
good place to work.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 February 2016
Good Place to work if you are a hard working, lot of things to learn,
hard part is 24 hours you have to be available, lot to learn and grow.
Nice and maintainable work enviroment.
Backshift Attendant (Current Employee) –  Antigonish, NS13 August 2013
I enjoy working at Ultramar. It has solid management styles fair manager. Work is good not to hectic always kept my cool even with a line of 6 or 7 people. I always have time to do all my work within my 8 hour shifts. Majority of my co-workers are great to get along with. I most enjoyed the meeting new people and just conversing with them. The hardest part is working nothing but back shifts.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Late hours
It was a good job. I met lots of people.
Cashier/Stock (Former Employee) –  Brighton, ON7 May 2013
A typical day consisted of me coming in at 5:00am and getting the store ready for the day (ie. counting the till, doing the DIP's, and setting out stock) I learned how to multi-task, having to be able to get propane tanks, turn on pumps, and ring customers in.

Management was alright. The store changed hands twice when I was there. The first set of managers had been there for years and really knew how to keep things running smoothly. The ones that took over next were not ready for the amount of people that come in on a daily bases, but they quickly adjusted.

I only had 1 other co-worker who happened to be a friend of the family, so him and I got along great!

The hardest part of the job was when the new owners took over they didn't know how to keep up on stock. Even though I wrote stuff down whenever we ran out, they just couldn't seem to have it come in on time. Customers always use to complain about the prices too, being a small gas station a quart of oil would cost $5.00 (+tax) when the Home Hardware behind us sold the same stuff for $3.50 (+tax) ,this made customers upset, and I don't like see my customers unhappy.

The most enjoyable parts were meeting all the people. Since the Ultramar where I worked was in a tourist town people always came in looking for directions, or just wanted to ask about the local sites that they could see. Some customers would only come in on my shift, they loved to chat about current evens or the local gossip (wasn't really into the local gossip, but the customers always right!) They made my job very enjoyable.
Pros
Long hours, and I was able to make some friends out of some of my customers.
Cons
When their family members came from overseas and I was terminated.
A outgoing place .
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON30 April 2013
I loved working night shifts at Ultramar. The customers were always polite and respectfull . Working at the ultramar I learned alot . Such as operating the lotto machien , security systems , Gas pumps . I was able to be on routine with cleaning . The night shifts were great , As there was hours it would be completly dead and you can complete task , times where you have the odd customer aswell as rush hour . I was able to learn to work in all the above enviorments .
I had a great boss who would take his time to show me something if i didnt understand. Very responable as well determind. Never say you can't . The shifts were get as well . I was not promised a lot of hours as thats what i was looking for . But he managed to get me to work 3 to 4 days a week .
Pros
regular customers .
Cons
Running the store my self . ( was very different, but i enjoyed it ).