Ultramar Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
I found it was a good company to work for.
Gas Station Cashier (Former Employee), Trenton, ONNovember 3, 2015
I enjoyed working at Ultramar because I was able to learn some skills that I did not have and also I was able to help people with their purchases. I was respectful and therefore I got respect back.
productive workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), Saint-Laurent, QCOctober 4, 2015
Pros: nice coworkers
Cons: the environment
It was a gas station,which is not secure all the time, but my co-workers, the managers were great to work with. It was the first official job that I had, and I am grateful to my manager. I learn about customer service, how to give a fast and efficient service.
Productive and always had tasks to keep me busy
Cashier overnight (Former Employee), ontario, ottawaSeptember 11, 2015
Pros: free coffee
Cons: sometimes it gets lonely
i would clean the store, while serving clients and stocking the shelves. I would bake for the items on the bakery list. I would exchange lottery tickets and update the lottery winning. Sometimes i had to shovel outside when it snowed and keep the area clean and garbage empty. The hardest pat of the job would be when drunk or disorderly people would come into the store and create chaos. I was enjoying when i had regulars come and have a small chat and exchanged a smile before they began their days. My co-workers where helpful when i had questions and in need of help. I learned that customer relations job is fun and brings new challenges ith dfferent kinds of people you meet. The management was good and they took their job seriously, which was an insperation.
alright
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee), Corner Brook, NLJuly 3, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: none
fun work place with supportive management. not all about numbers but how you personally grow and develop. decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Well Managed Workplace
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee), Orleans, ONMay 16, 2015
I would check in and take over the cash, if i had a night shift then I would be able to leave the cash to complete other tasks on the list. During day shifts another employee would be able to complete the other tasks while I worked cash or vice versa.
A fun place to work, but unfortunately unbalanced.
Cashier/Sales/Baker (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBDecember 28, 2014
The job in itself was simple, and the customer base was awesome, never in my 5 years there did I have to deal with a truly difficult customer. I liked working there but unfortunately I found the benefits to be minimal, and there was not much incentive to achieving any of the goals set in place. I found the favoritism between management and employees to be a bit dysfunctional as well, people being rewarded or having a good word said to them when others did all of the work.
Fast paced, high volume, understaffed and stressful work environment
Station Attendant (Former Employee), Kingston, OnNovember 15, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: no breaks
8 hour shifts without a single break. Not allowed to sit down at any point. Only smokers get relieved for breaks. Distrustful management with a tendency to micromanage. Favouritism is evedent. Any loss is blamed on cashiers. Disregard for employee rights and safety. Food service side is run improperly. New employees go without pay for months. Gas pumps are outdated. Store has a reoccuring rodent problem. Short staffed, therefore unable to call in sick. Seniority and work ethic mean nothing. "Higher-ups" are condescending and rude to employees.
A simple and positive workplace
Gas Attendant & Retail (Former Employee), Memramcook, NBNovember 11, 2014
Pros: simplicity, positive atmosphere
Cons: location
I enjoyed working at Ultramar in general. In a regular day, I serve a lot of customers with a positive attitude. I have learned a lot from working there; My social skills have improved, I handle money very well, I can operate cash registers well (Cash register, lottery terminal, computer, etc.) and I can serve multiple customers at the same time. I had a full-time position, so I worked Monday to Friday. The co-workers did not cause any drama, and we get along fairly easy. The hardest thing about this job is the location; it's far away from any major city. Moncton is the closest town, yet it's located almost 30 minutes away. But, the job itself is simple, Even though it can get quite busy at times, I still seem to enjoy it and I don't feel like struggling.
good learning experience
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Durham Region, ONNovember 4, 2014
difficult always working alone but it gave me the experience with customer service
a typical day
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: customers
Cons: co-workers - office space sometimes gets the best of people
this was an office - not many customers came in - but to deal with them over the phone was interesting the most enjoyable part of the job really has helping customers
Hardwork and Long Days
Gas Attendant (Current Employee), Cobourg, ONAugust 31, 2014
Start early morning and work till about 5 in the afternoon. Lots of heavy lifting. Must be good with tools and precise measurements.
Amazing people to work with.
Store clerk (Former Employee), New Minas Nova ScotiaMay 9, 2014
Over all my time at Ultramar was very good. But back in Nova Scotia there was really no spot for advancement at all unless someone moved away or retired.
over all good, gave me good experience
Support Staff (Former Employee), Sainte-agathe-des-monts, QCMarch 3, 2014
Gained great customer service experience, time management skills, organization skills.
Fast paced workplace where I learned many new skills
Cashier/ Baker (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: great co workers, excellent place to show my customer service skills.
Cons: no scheduled breaks, so we couldn't be off cash for more than 10 minutes at a time unless it was an emergency.
A typically day at work here is pretty straight forward, fast paced job to keep me always on my feet, always something to do to keep me busy. I learned many valuable life skills such as customer service, sales, and also the food service industry such as sandwich making and also baking. I have worked there for a long time so my co workers became kind of like a family, we all got along and worked very well together. The toughest part of my job were running cash and bakery when I was working by myself in the store, but it kept for a busy and fast paced shift. The most enjoyable part of my job are my co workers, we get along so well and whenever there is a new recruit we make sure he or she feels welcome.
Hard job, really long hours, hard on my school life
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee), Fergus, ONDecember 12, 2013
Pros: holiday bonuses, time and a half
I miss working at blinkhorns, was making great money and people where great but hours were way to long was affaecting my school life and family life.
An environment that helps mold young individuals into strong team leaders
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Saint-Lazare, QuebecOctober 17, 2013
A well organized and intelligently managed work place where learning is part of an every day experience, clients become friends and the happiness of all is expected and not just hoped for. A lot of my work attitude and organizational skills derived from this job experience.
Salary benefits
Customer Service (Former Employee), Peterborough, LakefieldAugust 22, 2013
Pros: meeting with different people
Cons: long shifts some time 16 to 17 hours
from my job in the Ultramar I come to know about the satisfaction level of an employer. What a canadian employer want from his employee and if you are able to provide him that services than you can be a good employee.
Fun work environment, very fast paced and very friendly customers
Senior Staff (Former Employee), Pictou, NSAugust 14, 2013
Cons: no flexibility in the work hours.
Typical day at work was busy, yet enjoyable, I enjoyed waiting on such friendly customers, most of who were recurring customers.
Manager and co-workers were good people to work with.
The hardest part of the job were that there was no flexibility in the hours, resulting in no work/life balance.
The most enjoyable part of the job was that I was kept busy, and I really enjoyed the customers which made the job that much better.
Nice and maintainable work enviroment.
Backshift Attendant (Current Employee), Antigonish, NSAugust 13, 2013
Pros: free coffee
Cons: late hours
I enjoy working at Ultramar. It has solid management styles fair manager. Work is good not to hectic always kept my cool even with a line of 6 or 7 people. I always have time to do all my work within my 8 hour shifts. Majority of my co-workers are great to get along with. I most enjoyed the meeting new people and just conversing with them. The hardest part is working nothing but back shifts.
A very clean aviroment
Gas Attendant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 8, 2013
Pros: bonus
Cons: poor management
I also enjoy going to work there everybody is great I was always helping people which makes me happy. I have learn all about gas ,shipping and receiving ,I also to count my float ,cigarettes and lotteries.