POSITION/TITLE: Home Care Nurse (full-time/60 hrs/Bi-week)
This position combines administrative and direct client care responsibilities. The Home Care Nurse (HCN) is a registered degree nurse who is responsible for providing services such as acute care nursing, client assessments, case planning and case conferencing. Primary clients include Elders, persons with chronic illnesses or disabilities, and special needs clients. The Home Care Nurse completes home care/support assessments of clients, collaborates with the client, family, physician and home care team to develop personal care plans, and assigns appropriate resources to meet client health & wellness needs.
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs home visits to conduct intake and review assessments. This also includes performing assessments and reassessments using the appropriate assessment tools while planning care with client and family to meet the client’s health & wellness needs with in the budgetary constraints of the program. Interview members of the client’s support system as required;
- Collaborates with Home Care team, client and family to determine personal care plan;
- Monitors the quality of care provided within the Home and Community Care program;
- Ensures that home support workers are informed and have complete delegated task transfers with regard to clients’ health & wellness needs (including preparation of task lists for each client with instructions for care for PCA’s);
- Using the nursing process provides direct and indirect nursing interventions to meet the needs of the client based on collaborative plan of care and as required by the physician instructions;
- Provides acute nursing care in the home on the instruction of physicians such as pain management, medication administration, treatments, and post-hospital discharge follow up and care;
- Liaises closely with physicians and hospitals regarding post-hospital discharge care and treatment;
- Identifies factors that may interfere with or impede a client’s ability to be as independent as possible and initiates appropriate actions, such as referrals to address the concern;
- Provides information and teaching to clients and caregivers regarding self-care, wellness, problem prevention, rehabilitation and comfort measures that promote independence and healthy lifestyle.
- Assists clients, caregivers and program staff to develop skills in order to provide treatment interventions for clients and monitors application of the skills;
- Maintains appropriate client records, ensures confidentiality of all information relating to the client, and submits statistics and reports as required and on a timely basis;
- Maintains current nursing skills through the attendance of workshops, reading appropriate literature, staff meetings, in-services; and
- Informs the Manager of any concerns regarding the delivery of service that are not consistent with current knowledge or acceptable professional standards.
- Monitors the quality of care provided within the Home & Community Care Program by supervising the program staff;
- Participates in the ongoing planning, development and evaluation of the Home & Community Care Program;
- Must practice her or his job in a manner safe to both herself / himself and the client.
- Knowledge of the Ulkatcho community, culture and language an asset.
- Bachelor Degree in Nursing with 2-3 years experience in Home and Community Care.
- Current registration (RN) as a member in good standing with the Registered Nurses Association of British Columbia (RNABC).
- Current CPR and First Aide certification.
- Certified Foot care certificate
- Previous Diabetes Nurse Educator experiences an asset.
- Must have and maintain a valid BC drivers license as a condition of employment & preferably have access to a reliable vehicle.
OTHER JOB INFORMATION:
- Required to work in a variety of different environments.
- Successful applicant must agree to abide by Ulkatcho First Nation organizational policies (i.e., personnel, confidentiality, conflict of interest, and code of conduct).
- Ability to work independently, to organize work, prioritizes workload, possession and application of excellent communication skills (written, inter-personal).
- Must be respected within the community.
- Must have experience or willing to take training with ESDRT monthly reporting requirements.
Submit resume including references to:
Liz Hennigar, Receptionist
Ulkatcho Indian Band
Box 3430, Anahim Lake BC, V0L1C0
(Fax) 250 742 2081
(Phone) 250 742 3260
Closing date: On going until filled