Ubisoft

Ubisoft Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
exelent
Animator (Former Employee), Montréal, QCSeptember 22, 2014
I loved to work there great people, and maybe someday return there to work for them again
Gaming for a salary... on contract.
Video Game Tester (Former Employee), Montréal, QCSeptember 22, 2014
Working for Ubisoft has always been a dream of mine, and I got to be a part of that dream for a short while. We were QA testing games such as Assassin's Creed 1 and Naruto: Rise of a Ninja (an XBox360 exclusive).

Though everything was contract work, I would gladly work there again.
Working as a Concept Artist
Concept Artist (Former Employee), Montreal, CanadaSeptember 1, 2014
Pros: art, games and design
Cons: lack of communication and unstable pay
A day with Ubisoft would be like any other in-home Artist jobs, you receive and email and later a conference call. The job details for that particular project are given to you in verbal and written form then you begin your designs. Once the designs and/or job requirements are completed you email/fax your work to your Senior Artist. Once the job has – more... been received they (Leads, artists, graphic designers) will tell you what needs to be fixed, if it's good as it is.

The best part of the job is working as a designer for games, magazines and promotional things of the sort. The hardest was getting in touch with your bosses across the world through bad internet connections and time zones.

Lack of communication. – less
A great experience
Tool Support specialist (Former Employee), Québec, QCAugust 5, 2014
Pros: tons of benefits and great poeple to work with
Cons: extreme long hours
Its the gaming industry!

Job security is fleeting at best but youhave to love the poeple you work with and the work.
Good work environment development potential
Senior UI Artist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 21, 2014
1) Bright and comfortable working environment.
2) Professional and reasonable management mode brings high efficient work.
3) Challenging and creative work, improve and develop our potential constantly.
4) Everyone working at Ubisoft enjoy his/her job.
Very good place to work with new technilogy and learn from best resources in each speciality.
System Administrator (Former Employee), Montreal, QCMarch 1, 2014
Pros: working time, modern, health care, young, no micromanagement, budget on techno, location
Cons: na
One day At work would be:
- Work on support ticket higher level.
- React on Monitoring alerts that as important and troubleshoot /fix.
- Write some documentation about new procedure or script for automation or system management and delegation to lower levels.
- Have some meeting with client to see their needs and propose solutions.
- plan some future – more... maintenances.
- Analyse the domain and put in place some ways to see if everybody is doing things the way it has been decided (AD, GPO, ACL, Users etc...)
What I have learner: I have learned so many things I would list them in multiple pages but lately let's say: Chef orchestrator usage for windows and powershell advanced usage to automate each task for sys admin.
- Management is good and soft at UBisoft, you deliver you are good to go, They are a lot of manager to handle lot'S of custormer facing request and projects.
Gaming company there is a constant preassure and changes in systems and needs occurs often so we must adapt and react quickly, I like that.
- My co-workers are very good to work with and experimented in each techno, we can share things about our specialities, challenge each others for new needs and setup and also we can put rules in place for all new sys admin MS in the team, (we are managing the world's server parc and it's about 1200+ servers)
- The hardest part of the work I would says because I like it is to stop working after office hours.Sometime I think about issue or behavior and I log VPN to work on it.
- The most enjoyable part of the job is having put something automated that takes usually hours if done manualy. The funny part is when it was not working and finally you find all issue in code to have it to run ok after some debbug time. – less
Playtester
Freelance Video Game Play Tester (Former Employee), montrealFebruary 28, 2014
Great experience overall
Everyone was very friendly
Everyone was also very hardworking and I felt as if I was part of the team there even if I was just there to play and judge the games.
Friendly coworkers and no risk of layoffs
Part of the production (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 7, 2013
Pros: no layoffs in the history of ubisoft toronto
Cons: the pay is 15-30% below what many other studios offer
There are two big advantages to working at Ubisoft. First, they hire more friendly people than the other studios I worked at in the past. Second, they haven't done any layoffs. Their plan is actually to keep expanding.

The downside of working here is the salary. It's 15-30% below what you can get elsewhere. Ubisoft has been lucky in the last 4 years, – more... feeling no pressure to raise salaries. This is because Toronto doesn't have much of a game development industry. There is a single other studio around the city, which is Rockstar. So, no competition for talent.

The other downside is that you likely will feel like a pawn at some point here. This is to be expected, as most teams are above 200 people. If you think that's a lot, in Montreal, some teams peek at 900 people. There has to be some advantages to working at small companies right? Another reason you may feel like a pawn is that even if the Toronto studio had good intentions for its people, many of us got shuffled and moved to new roles and projects due to another studio's needs. So, you may be excited about your current project and giving it all you got, and suddenly, a directive from Montreal demands that you help them with a struggling project. This should not come as a surprise as the industry is highly risky and a large company must do what is best for itself as a whole. Also note that this could only be temporary.

Back to talking about the positives, this is a place where you will never feel like you risk of being let go due to company finances. The proof is that the company hasn't been profitable lately (public information), and yet, we have not seen any ground layoffs in Toronto or Montreal. Some speculate this is due to the large tax incentives that the company gets both from the Quebec and Ontario governments. So if you have kids like I do, you will fall asleep easy. – less
Réalisateur-monteur (Former Employee), Montréal, QCJune 27, 2013
Pros: working in video game industry is a pros itself
Cons: a lack of organization sometime.
It's unique work environment. Very relax and fun. I loved it.
Great
3D Programmer (Current Employee), Montréal, QCFebruary 3, 2013
Pros: talents, projects
Cons: it a very big compny
Great people, great projects. Projects are awesome, there are very talented people, big motivations.
A long and healthy relationship
Artiste multimédia et réalisateur (Former Employee), montrealNovember 1, 2012
Pros: good pay, great benefits, amazing parties
Cons: noisy
When put in context of the capitalistic society in which we live and by taking into account all of the pros and cons that go with it, Ubisoft is one of those great machines of production. It drives the local economy and would have those who dedicate their lives for the enterprise to share the wealth.
Apart from the often stressful deadlines and long – more... hours, the company and most of its people come together and create a unique atmosphere of friendship. – less
fun work place
Canada Director (Former Employee), montreal QCOctober 22, 2012
very busy place to work. Many moving pieces in any given day.

About Ubisoft

Ubisoft hopes its video games languish in ubiquity. Ubisoft Entertainment is the #3 independent video game publisher in the world – Read more