Ubisoft is a world leader in the entertainment industry, with a variety of hit brands including Assassin’s Creed, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell, and Far Cry. To build on its achievements and share its future successes, Ubisoft is looking for great talent to join its new Toronto development studio. The studio is located in West Toronto in the unique and growing trendy area known as “The Junction”.
We favor diversity, creativity and the desire to succeed as a team. If you’ve got the skills and drive, you’ll have the opportunity to help build the best video game studio in Toronto. The opportunities to learn and progress are endless. There’s a real buzz about the place; if you’re looking for a stimulating and cool work environment that fosters a balance between personal and professional lives, you’ll find it here at Ubisoft Toronto.
The incumbent will create the game levels and create and/or implement the gameplay situations based on the creative vision.
Type of Position: Permanent
The main and routine functions of the Level Designer are to:
- Understand the part that his/her level plays in the overall game experience based on the creative director’s vision;
- Be familiar with the script and, more specifically, with the episodes in his/her level so that the story remains coherent;
- Prototype the environment, establish the layouts, and suggest ways of using the interactive and non-interactive elements to create the desired emotions;
- Communicate the results of the prototype to the other crafts in order to validate the intentions and have the level design TD assess the technical feasibility and the quality of the maps (game design director);
- Work in collaboration with the level artists to ensure that the playability of the level and the graphic elements support each other;
- As the project progresses, integrate the elements produced in the map (new gameplay, AI, sound, etc.);
- Control the accessibility, understanding, and level of difficulty of the level;
- Correct the level design bugs entered into the database by testers;
- Carry out all other related tasks.
Attestation of collegial studies in video game level design and production or equivalent.
- Minimum 10+ years’ experience in video game level design and production or any other relevant experience;
- Solid design experience with credited titles, at least one of which is in a senior position;
- Experience scripting gameplay using visual and text scripting languages an asset;
- Past experience with Ubisoft IPs is an asset;
- Multiplayer development and level design experience are pluses.
- Ability to work well as part of a team;
- Creativity, ability to challenge the player;
- Critical and analytical sense;
- Structure and rigour;
- Ability to put oneself in the player’s shoes.
Ubisoft Toronto is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested parties. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.
Ubisoft is a world leader in the entertainment industry, with a variety of hit brands including Assassin’s Creed, Tom Clancy’s Splinter...