Uber

Uber Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Uber lies and not give what they promised
Uber driver (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Pros: Why people say they can control their shift, no salary and health benefit of course I control my shift
Cons: Too many and read my post
I have been driving Uber more than 400 trips now and let me tell you my experience, the money you earn after you deduct your time, gas, insurance, car payment and sometime car damage, clean fee. I was making less minimum wage due to I get no insurance and health benefit.
I had one time passenger opened the door and got collision with the Biker, Uber promised me to take care of the thing and told me to send a copy of insurance coverage just for reference. Do not do what Uber tells you because they will do things without your consensus. Your insurance company will notice and will drop you and they do not pay you a dime if your insurance won't cover Uber. There is no Uber coverage.
I got one time customer smoke in my car and he is on drug and alcohol and he puked and ashes all over my seat and floor, Uber will not give you any clean fee due to it is not damaged that you can still drive from what I understand that if I can still drive that no clean fee?
Management is brutal
driver (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONJanuary 20, 2016
Pros: work when you want
Cons: Too many to list
Worked about a month for them. The problem is that when you have an issue you are not able to talk to a live person. Every time you contact them via email you deal with someone different. They don't follow up on any issue. They don't support the drivers or should I say partners. I was fired after I had an issue with the app. It wasn't working properly and caused problems and as a result they fired me within 2 days just like that. I tried to explain the problems I was having and it was like they didn't care.
When I was driving it was difficult to make decent money and the fact that nobody tips makes it hard to justify using your own car. A lot of problems with the GPS sending me to places and nobody is there. Couldn't cancels trips because there was no cancel button. Couldn't contact riders because there was no button for that either. It just disappeared one day. When I brought these issues to their attention it was too late they already made their decision and denied that I had any problems with the app.
I would not recommend working for them. They make all the money you take all the risks and take on all expenses and at the end of the day they don't support you and will get rid of you at the drop of a hat. The whole insurance thing too is fishy. They are always looking for drivers, I wonder why.
Good if your in a new Market--not so good when rates neutralize
Driver (Current Employee), Reno, NVJanuary 5, 2016
Pros: Setting schedule, great customers, freedom to produce results.
Cons: Evil people, ROI, no loyalty.
Take people to and fro for less than 75c per mile. Depending on your car and luck you break even. Your converting the value of your car into a couple bucks.

The ability to work at will is nice. Meeting the great customers is cool. But a lot of the riders will treat you like dirt--either their too good for you or they are slim bags. When you need something from support you will likely be wasting your time--until they escalate the ticket to a competent person. Most of the time I needed them it seemed like they did not even read my ticket. Then they would paste an irrelevant response (usually nice and wordy). Then you would have to respond with a one liner with only your question. They may or may not help you. I have never talked with a single person from this company. I like it that way when everything is going good.

A lot of the trouble with this review is that most things wrong with uber are out of their hands. There is a bigger dilemma in the economy today. It just becomes brutally obvious when you drive 1-3 miles to pick someone up, drive them few miles (not before waiting ten minutes for them to come out of the bar of course), and get them to pay $10.60. Uber will take $1.70 for insurance* and $2.23 for services and you get $6.67 pretax (you spent 75c on gas and this would take you 25 minutes). So bottom line you may get lucky a couple hours a couple days a year with the dynamic pricing model. But there are slim margins for needed car repairs and this will be a major public safety issue.

Uber is awesome--but this has been my average experience as a ride share driver. – more... Sometimes riders are prompt, tip, and you get a good ride. You just never now what your agreeing to when you accept a ride. If your thick skinned and have deep pockets this is a good way for you to make a couple bucks by next week. – less
Less then minimum wage! !!!!!!
Rented mule (Former Employee), Montréal, QCDecember 19, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Everything else
I was driving for over a month now and I came to the realization that I was making under 9$ a hour. I did my homework on uber and the system, and I found out why American drivers make about double 20$ a hour (double than a Canadian) and it's simple, the other countries are subcontractors for the uber company, to save on taxes and managerial costs, and while uber makes there cut uber montreal takes another BIG SLICE OF THE PIE. LEAVING NOTHING BUT MINIMUM WAGE FOR THE DRIVER'S. SO DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE US comments about there drivers making on average 20 to 25$ a hour because no matter what you do and no matter how many hour you work you will never make money!!!and that's the truth.
Amazing Technology! Make your own hours!
Driver (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 17, 2015
Uber has done everything to help you succeed! From weekly updates, to weekly pay deposits, Uber lets you know where the events are happening and what hours of the week trend to be the busiest.

One can always wish for more money, but your bottom line depends on how many hours you are wanting to put into it.
working uber is waste of time again
driver partner (Former Employee), toronto,onDecember 5, 2015
Pros: you loose value of your vehicle
Cons: long hrs less money
I like tell every canadian that do not work for uber, I am not a taxi cab or any part to politics, but I am just telling my experience that uber is just making money out of your resourcess, they have no investement for your car, or no coveage for your rider in case accident happend. I have drove for uber almost 10 days but just gone through bad experience, I have stranger rider sitting in my car and instructing me go that ways and that ways and confusing me about the direction and that almost met me with accident.Rider using uber just for advantage, rider requested trip from brampton to mississauga but in the mean time rider change his mind and change his destination saying that his friend is giving him ride. you travelled to his place about 9km to get him and drove him to his friend place about 4 km so he can get ride with his freind. Most of the time you pick rider there is no bus for ttc running and they have to come or walk long way to get ttc, they used uber to get to the ttc stand or close by and your fare some time after deducation $3.77.It is very good source of income for uber and money saver for rider,but you are losser end of the days. do it for a days and you will relise that what i am talking. I hope you believe me if not do it for a days for uber.
Enjoyable
Driver (Current Employee), T0r0nto OnysrtiroNovember 12, 2015
Pros: All costs assumed by driver
Cons: Not long enough to determime
Looking for a job to help with relocation possibilities. costs and return to Canada. Excellent way to follow instructions and earn additional money.
Cons may exceed pros
Driver (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 6, 2015
Pros: Flexible
Cons: Everything on driver, not that good everything considered.
Been driving from Monday through Friday, mostly mornings. I have put over 700 kms on my car in just 5 days. Made 354 dollars, from which I have to deduct gas, maintenance and taxes. Probably less than $250 in total. Long trips pay more, but the drive back is longer, so it adds up, unless you want to stay where you dropped the client for a chance to get a new rider... but it can take you farther... Uber's share is 25%, hummm. And there's the fishy thing about the insurance.
Management is very poor
not for discussion (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 5, 2015
Pros: no pro's
Cons: someone will puke in your car but the good thing is the wont be in your car again.... big deal.
Poor internal communication. Staff doesn't listen or care. Total joke. I have written them many letter trying to help.... nada... there isn't a phone number to talk to a real person. ah, what else let me see, Oh they completely lye when they talk about your auto insurance. I have 1st hand information there. don't get caught by your insurance company cause you lye to your insurance they have every right to pull coverage contrary to what Uber says... Be very careful. Do it if you want but bet someone will puke in your car. OH but the good thing is they wont be back in your car.... Big woop. you pay to clean it. and you sit in the stink every day.
good luck
Great way to earn extra cash per week
Driver (Current Employee), Ottawa South, ONNovember 3, 2015
Pros: Setting own hours
Cons: Many trips required to make good money.
I have really enjoyed being able to earn extra cash per week and set my own hours.I also enjoy the meeting of new people and listening to their stories.
Only Good for UBER
driver (Former Employee), edmontonOctober 16, 2015
i drove for UBER for over couple months using my very luxury vehicle and finally gave up and quit UBER.. At the end of the day in any situation its good for UBER company and for the rider who's taking advantage of cheap service but for drivers itself i do not think that i made anything. Maps colouring is not effective at all and the amount of service they want to give it is definitely not worth to put your vehicle in public use for no benefit. Specially them not being able to resolve their issue with the city and then have to take heat from cops who dont like Uber drivers and question the licensing or insurances. Just not worth it. Uber expects to give riders a 5 star experience but at the same time they do not want to pay riders enough to keep giving 5 star services. gas expenses and after maintenance there is nothing for driver.
bad exp
independent driver (Former Employee), torontoOctober 7, 2015
day starts with them texting you again and again
once you start and some cab stops you
you call it a day

all passive aggressive people
if you sit down and do the math you are loosing money not making them
Been your own boss
Driver (Current Employee), GTA and surrounding citiesAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Free to work the days and hours that you choose.
Cons: Low wages after all deductions. Ex. car, gaz, insurance...
Start to work when you want.
Report to nobody.
Free to not work all day or all week.
Only requirement is to work at least one day a month.
meet lots of people everyday!
Uber partner driver (Current Employee), torontoAugust 9, 2015
Pros: Sometimes client can make your day
Cons: Seriouse concern like car being damge by client or anyother thing Uber don't reply fast, is like they don't care
you meet nice people, you get to know and talk to a lot of people.If you likfe driving this can really be fun. The only problem is, if it is too much it can kill your car!
Best Job i've had yet
Chauffeur de taxi autonome (Current Employee), Montréal, QCAugust 2, 2015
Pros: no boss watching over your shoulders
Cons: if you don't work you don't get paid. but thats absolutely normal
i chose my schedule. my pay depends on the amount of trips i do in a day. i have no boss, i am my own boss. i've learned to be independent with this job. i meet up with fellow coworkers every now and then. i would say the most enjoyable part of my job would be the whole experience.
not good management
driver (Former Employee), canada , torontoJuly 30, 2015
they are not fare for the rating system they make because it's not based on fixed points but they keep it to the mode of every rider, as well as it's not a stable work as they can end your account with them, so we will not look for a future life with them. They are not trustful
Exploitative
Partnerstoronto (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2015
Pros: work at timing of your choice
Cons: limited financial benefit, late payments (some tome s delay of over a month)
Slow moving management ...especially when it comes to supporting partners on issues like late payments and tipping by riders. Recently fare was reduced without any consultation with (so called) partners. Payment delayed for over a month. Its frustrating to work for them.

Surge pricing is deceptive as riders from surge area pay regular fare.

No support if any damage to car by the riders.