Uber

Uber Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
what a rip off
driver (Former Employee), bostonMarch 1, 2015
Cons: your being used
staring with terrible customer and driver relations its almost impossible to get a hold of these people

$40 an hour gross pay during rush hour is a complete lie

not even close to being worth it i cant wait to see this company shut down

they stole $200 from my pay for some phone that i did not ask for

they expect you to not start the meter while waiting who knows how long for the rider

they expect you to take the time consuming route to save the rider money for mileage

this company is set up to make only themselves money, so dont be used by them fair warning
Stay away!
driver (Former Employee), dallas fort worthFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
Don't waste your time or let them fool you that there is any possible of making any kind of profit from using your car and driving people around so cheaply. You drive people around for pennies and then they rate you not so great (WHY!? Who knows!) which affects you....not that it matters because you were never going to make money to begin with. You deal with a bunch of rude people, it worse if your a girl and have do deal with insecure women. If you try it you will regret wasting your time.
Any good reviews on here are obviously someone from the company itself. Only way from them being an obvious 1
Drove for them about 9 months...
driver (Former Employee), dallas/ft worthFebruary 24, 2015
Cons: not enough money....better off working at mcdonalds
Drove for Uber (and Lyft) for 9 months an audit showed little profit. Most money went to gas, upkeep and insurance. You spend most of your time waiting for customers and trying to find them. Then Uber kept lowering the price that so you CAN'T make money off the fees. And keep in mind, there's NO tips. Can't wait to see what happens when gas prices go back up. Stupid Uber will probably
lower the fares again.

Good luck if you decide to do this.
Charge unnessary fee to driver
Driver (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: can work anytime you want.
Cons: charge unnecessary $1 fee per rider. unclear where busy spots are.
The company takes an 820% split of the fare + $1 dollar for each ride for a safe rider fee which is ridiculous. They also charge the driver if the riders split the fare between them.
Work hard play hard create change stimulate staff affect change
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), Cape Town, WCFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: free lunches, breakfeast, dinner, cellphone allowance, laptop, company vehicle, petrol allowance
Cons: extensive long hours, non-benfical benefits
Stressful environment
Multi skilled tasks everyday
mediator and liaison with management and staff
environment changes consistently
travel based environment
Uber experience
Driver (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 16, 2015
Flexibility and emphasis on customer satisfaction. Ability to work my own schedule around any secondary work I might have. Also, Uber emphasizes customer service with a rating system that each customer fills out anonymously.
Good job for in between jobs or additional income.
Driver (Current Employee), Boulder, COFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: flexibility, networking with clients you pick up
Cons: taxes not being deducted from pay
I really enjoy the flexibility that this company offers. The down side is that they don't take taxes out for those that are driving for Uber due to being an independant contractor. Read up on this topic more at http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Self-Employed.
As far as a typical day at work, you make your own schedule. When you drive, you get to choose where you go to work, and wait for Uber to alert you to the next client that needs a ride. You start and stop the ride on your phone, and rely on a GPS map to get you to your client, and where they desire getting dropped off at. What I learned was a little more about the independent contracting issue and taxes, and keeping great records for what mileage, gas, and other related expenses for your personal vehicle.
There is self management besides the surge hours of when people use Uber the most during the day.
Co-workers, I never met any except the person that I referred to drive with me.
The hardest part of the job would be dealing with a lot of out of people with all different walks of life. Some can be really cool, and appreciative, yet there are the ones who are hard to please, and you'll see the result on the grading scale they have you use. It goes both ways, you grade the rider, and they grade you. They also don't put you with clients that you have rated lower than 3 stars. Which is really nice.
Make your own Hours
Driver (Current Employee), Phoenix ArizonaFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: own schedule
Cons: cuts in driver profits
Time freedom but the price per ride keeps going down so drivers are making less and less. The driver position needs to be paid well or the turn over rate will kill the company with poor inexperienced drivers.
Very Good
Driver (Former Employee), Princeton, NJFebruary 12, 2015
I liked meeting people.
Making a profit was difficult. After paying the business expenses, the tax and all the gas and oil, and tires and cleaning, and depreciation of the car. Also there was the car payment and things like promotional cards from the printer. It was a big expense and the company didn't charge the customer enough I feel.
manage uder students and thats the way it will stay
bus operator (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 10, 2015
umd refuse to keep on full time employees, it is ran by students the pay is low and its only contract work/
working for the university is awesome and fun because I love what I do as a bus operator
You can make loot
Driver (Current Employee), Los AngelesFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: make lots of extra money and closely monitor your earnings with their tools, they are very responsive in email.
Cons: their rating system and the potentially dangerous affects it can play on your newly acquired income, you never know if you're going to be terminated so don't depend on the money.
You have to know your city and know which service level you should be working for. If you do UberX then you're hustling x2, 3 or 4 times harder then a Plus, Black, SUV or Lux.

People who've complained here were probably bad drivers and not good business-minded persons. Keep in mind that Uber can take 20-25% off the top and you are still responsible for your own taxes. The contractual agreement between you and Uber is 1099. Do some research before you get yourself into financial troubles with Uncle Sam / Uber Sam.
PRODUCTIVE BUT NOT SAFE WORKPLACE
PCO Driver (Current Employee), London, ENGJanuary 28, 2015
I had some bad event with customers from pubs ! Good system to connect with customers but wrog system to rating a driver. If a customer is aggresive or violent don't matter for UBER manager, if you received 1, 2 or 3 star only you are rejected!
The worst!
uberx driver (Former Employee), los angelesJanuary 25, 2015
Cons: no pay when you put it all on paper, car milage, expenses, getting in touch with customer service
Took someone to the airport from hollywood fare said $27. I get paid a week later and the statement says -$.86 due to uber cuts then on top of that cell phone rental fees. I bought an iphone recently to avoid the $10 week fee then uber lowers their rate again 20%. I bought a 2012 prius back when the rate descent. Long story short dont waste your time working for them unless $5 an hour and your car racking up miles is what you are looking for. The new hourly guarentee seems like a joke too. Before the pay was cut by 50% I enjoyed driving. The people were cool and each day was different. Its too bad.
Uber -Amarillo Texas
Private Driver (Current Employee), Amarillo, TXJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: freedom of scheduling
Cons: not enough business
The job is great in regards to making your own schedule. However Amarillo Texas there is not enough business to really make a living or a small dent in any debt with the earnings from the few trips you get. It works great in a large city though I hear just not here. If you are lucky you might make $30 to $60 a week.
Flexibility is key
Driving Partner (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 14, 2015
What I like most about Uber is i get to make my own schedule. The pay isn't as good as advertised but I get to drive in the comfort of my own car. I deal with all sorts of customers but my demeanor doesn't change. My goal is to get customers to their destinations safely and satisfied. We are graded by them on a scale of one to five stars just as they are.
Don't work for these croocks!
Driver (Former Employee), Los AngelesJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: some nice customers, you manage your own schedule
Cons: high maintenance customers, high turnover, drastic decisions, poor support, car deteriorates
1.Very dishonest company. They use you, your car milage, you have to pay for your own gas, car cleaning expenses, oil change often, in 2 months driving my car and needs maintenance again.

2. At the beginning they will pay a lot of bonuses, but then you will notice that payments get lower and lower

3. You have to deal with some drunkie customers. Immature people who give you bad ratings just to harm you.

4.They would fire(deactivate your account) any time, without warnings, at no reason.

5. Some passengers are nice.

7. Just check they are always hiring drivers.... high turnover. Which is not a good sign.

January 20, 2015

Uber is been a great options for transportation at very affordable price. As it’s advertised: drivers being their own bosses, friendly attitude, clean, comfortable and convenient service. However, there is another side of the story that could make this company collapse by its own system. Uber recruits drivers using propaganda. For instance, there are ads on craigslist where the mention “Make $ 1500.00 a week driving for uber”. It sounds too good to be truth. To make$ 100 or $120 in a good day, driver must perform at least 8 hours of work, with no breaks. Plus, the cost of fuel which is $15-$20 per day, the mileage of your car would generate frequent oil changes and maintenance cost finally the 20% uber deducts from your rides, let’s make math $120-24-15=$81.00. Then divide the total in 8 hours. It deduces that a driver could make $10.00 an hour net. Who wins here? Despite uber affirms making background checks, some events led this into doubt. A case where the driver picked up a couple at the Los Angeles airport, dropped them off, but took off with the passenger’s I pad and a bag with more than $500 in cash. Despite being contacted driver refused to give back the items and UBER replied stating that it’s a partnership between them and drivers and they are not responsible for stolen items. Uber does not offer any job security to drivers. Accounts are getting deactivated at no reason, leaving the driver with no income. Company does not follow firing procedures such as warnings or get on hold of drivers to hear their side of the story. Moreover, rating system is very relative and – more... is just left to the passenger side. Even, if riders are not right. With ratings less than 4.7, accounts are deactivated or technically driver is fired. Plus, some drivers finance vehicles just to drive for UBER.
Management acts with arrogance. My account was deactivated for no reason or not knowing why. They don’t chat with you on the phone just use e-mail to inform that account is deactivated. My deactivation was because a bad person that had intentions to harm me contacted UBER with negative comments about me. This person was not even a passenger. I did not even get a chance to provide my side of the story. Plus, when that issue happened I was not even doing UBER. I was driving my own car. This deduces that uber does not care about passenger’s wellbeing. They just care about the money and see partners like robots, or like nothing. I had a 4.8 rating average.
Your car will be deteriorated, consider this, think about the mileage added t your vehicle, the maintenance expenses plus the uber commission. Better to work in a Mac Donald’s.
Finally, ride sharing companies should use more ethical practices and listen to their drivers. Government should enforce this type of applications that harms people’s wellbeing. It’s similar to give you work one week and then nothing. After all, without the partners and their vehicles UBER would not make income. Drivers are people, some who have families, dreams and bills to pay. Not robots that are used and them thrown away. – less

Something New for las vegas community is always GREAT!
Personal Driver (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: work when i wanted too
Cons: can be an addiction
I got to work my Job at the community center after I would go home for 2 hrs then go pick up someone that needed a ride.
I learned that this is something All of Las Vegas needed. Seniors need it the most
Hardest Part is knowing when to stop
Most enjoyable was knowing I gave a guest a ride and they were happy.
UBER is no differant than Cabs or Limos
Driver (Former Employee), Chicago northwest suburbsJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: so called independance
Cons: wrecking your own car
To be frank UBER is only differant in that you absorb ALL the expenses,take all the risks for little no profit. I drove a limousine for 15 yrs where I drove a company car and paid gas and tolls and for liqours,beverages etc. With UBER you will pay FOR EVERYTHING , and have the honor of driving intoxicated or high individuals. And additionally you'll be BEATING your car to death . And beware you personal car insurance will not cover you or your car as a uber driver.
Money isn't very good, rating system is inadequate
Driver (Former Employee), TampaJanuary 4, 2015
I can only speak for the Tampa area. There isn't bunch business outside of weekend nights. Uber is mostly a drunk taxi in this area. Very little daytime business. Carrying drunks gets old fast. You live with the constant fear that they will vomit in your car.

The money you make doesn't justify the gas, deprecation, tire wear, etc. If you put in 40 hours you'll make about a full time worker at McDonalds makes. Except that he isn't driving his car into the ground.

The rating system is ridiculous. Customer can give you one to five stars. You are threatened with being fired if you drop to a 4.6. That's crazy. Do you know how many drunk people are fat fingering the rating? Do you know how many irrational people might give you a 1 because they don't like the color of your shirt?

Uber is another internet scam. They promise the moon but the reality is you're working hard for very little.

Things might be different if you work in New York city or Chicago.

I'm just telling you what's going on in Tampa
Worst job in the world......
Driver (Former Employee), IllinoisJanuary 4, 2015
Cons: everything (crooks)
This company is a scam.. They make it very difficult for the drivers to make any money with all the fees the charge. They hate to even credit you for a 5.00 no show. They suck and are crooks. Now they have drivers assaulting women. Trying to even get in touch with them is impossible . I would not recommend them to anyone. RUN. One of the worst companies in the world to work for, truly CROOKS.

1 2 3 4

About Uber

Uber is evolving the way the world moves. By seamlessly connecting riders to drivers through our apps, we make cities more accessible, – Read more