Urs Flint Employee Reviews

Good
Estimator (Former Employee) –  Sherwood park22 March 2014
Good overall life balance
Salary not competitive enough.
good coworkers
Pros
timing and hours of work
Cons
salary
Great co - workers - Terrible management
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray19 March 2014
6 months of work at URS-Flint , management was brutal, did not receive a pay stub for 3 months, (paid weekly) paycheques were always on time tho. I have $2000 of my own money in RRSP thru paycheque deduction, I have not been able to track where this money actually is and noone seems to know or want to help me. Flint had a great name years ago until URS bought them out, went downhill, American company now. They hire anyone, because no one wants to work for them. General contractor kicked URS off site and brought in another contractor.

Good luck!
Pros
I liked the people I worked with
Cons
Management, your just "a number", zero job security, bad vibes all around
great camp and very generous rewards for safety records
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Anzac, AB17 March 2014
Urs Flint was my first experience in the oil sands .My experience was a positive experience .Scary at first but with time it became better . The camp was excellent . I got along with co-workers quite well , A typical day would be outside in the laydown taking instruction from my foreman .This could be anything from locating material to helping load or unload trailers to snow blowing from material . The only hardest part of the job was the - 40 weather and that wasn't that bad because we were told to warm up when ever we felt too cold .The most enjoyable part of the job was when we were so busy but worked as a team and got everything to site that was needed and the foreman would say good job guys we had a good day . I learned that the oil sands and URS work very well together , safety is first , environment , site cleanliness all are of top priority so this gave me an appreciation . They took me in, gave a job and paid me well with benefits . I was laid off in January from shortage of work but hope to be back in the near future to another URS site .
Pros
Great Camp
Cons
- 40 Brrrrrrrrrrr !
worst company ever
electrical apprentice (Former Employee) –  stat oil13 March 2014
Terrible company! No job security for good workers only for people who suck up. Have to be friends with the GF to be liked or to keep your job. Worst job and company ever very disappointed!
Pros
few good coworkers
Cons
management, everything about the company
Horrible, disorganized company, 0 security, horrible pay
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Calgary10 March 2014
The majority of management and VPs within the company don't even have University education, much less a trades ticket.

URS is known to pay ~15% less than the rest of industry.

Non-uniformity across all jobsites/divisions. What may go with one, i.e pay/rules/etc. will not go with others.

0 job security and no guarantee you'll go to another job, there's a huge disconnect

The way they fire people is absolutely absurd, calling them into a board room in front of their team, firing them, and dividing their team in front of them.

Management is useless and prefer to hide behind reports they demand to make their jobs seem relevant.

Bust your behind for this company and don't get recognized. Hiding safety and environmental incidents....

Garbage company
Pros
Big company, easy to hide in the shade
Cons
No work/life balance, terrible management, very bad pay
Good company
Piping Planner (Former Employee) –  Anzac, AB - Surmont 29 March 2014
URS is a great company to work for if you plan on just going with the flow and have no real ambition for advancement or growth.
Pros
Large company with lots of work, you will alwasy have a position.
Poorly managed company. Too many overhead costs.
superintendent (Current Employee) –  ft. macmurray12 February 2014
Poorly managed company at the higher management level. Employee's are rewarded for who they know and not what they know.
Works days are good. Pay level is average.
good
Pipefitter/ Steamfitter (Current Employee) –  Anzac, AB10 February 2014
this company provided giid work but not good managment good camps good flights
Systematic company
PIPING FOREMAN/PIPING GENERAL FOREMAN (Current Employee) –  FORT MCMURRAY ALBERTA7 February 2014
12 Hrs a day.
Computer
Management of the crew
Work in extreme cold especially in winter time
Fabrication of mitter elbow and erectin of big bore pipe
Pros
FREE FOOD ACCOMODATION AND CHATER FLIGTH
Cons
12 HRS
Materials Technician (Current Employee) –  Anzac Alberta4 February 2014
Exciting new challenges every day, and lots of room to learn.
Relaxing atmosphere after work without too much shop talk.
Construction Electrician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Conklin, Alberta26 January 2014
Arrive early and review assigned work task.
Plan your work and work your plan.
Discus any unknowns with your management and co-workers. "If you don't know, ask."
The hardest part of the job is to make sure everybody stays focused and don't become complacent.
The most enjoyable part of the job is participation from everybody involved and checking to make sure everybody goes home safe every day,
Pros
A satisfied team.
Cons
Negative attitudes and smokers.
Overall positive experience.
Labour II (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 January 2014
Working for URS Flint was overall an enjoyable experience. The company treated me well during my short time with them. I was hoping to work with them for a longer period of time but because of work shortage there were large layoffs. My foreman was very understanding and great to work for. The hardest part of my job was to keep busy considering the lack of work at the time. The most enjoyable part of the job was gaining the experience in such a large plant setting, Surmont 2 was the largest plant I had ever been on and gaining general knowledge of how it operated and how it was being built was enjoyable.
Pros
Good people, good foreman, good wage
Cons
lack of job security
The worst job postings
Pf (Former Employee) –  Ab10 January 2014
Do a little more than copy and paste, what is the shift, salary , travel allowance.
great opportunities
Junior Engineer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON8 January 2014
My first professional job. Perfect place to learn and develop one's self about the industry.
URS Flint
Performance Measurement Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary AB6 January 2014
URS Flint is a good place to work where you can learn a lot of new things and improve your skills.
Good Company with Advancement Opportunities
Instrument Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 January 2014
Tube bending, and visualizing
Building Supports for Instruments
Working under minimal to zero supervision
Good Co-workers, good team work
decision making
Pros
Good Co-Workers
Cons
Job Security
Lay offs came quick
Pipefitter/Steamfitter (Former Employee) –  Conoco Phillips17 December 2013
Good people, Poor management. Couldn't get my wages right, and always a problem with travel pay. Great group of guys, yet the office staff were beyond frustrating to deal with
Horrible horrible
Not available (Former Employee) –  Alberta10 December 2013
Treat their employees like they are children!! Wouldn't recommend flint to my worst enemy!!!
They will see who has the last laugh!!!
Watch your back flint!!!
Pros
Not available.
Cons
Everything!
Junior Cost Controller (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 November 2013
Was easy to work and talk with everyone in the department
got experience
steep learning curve
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Great place...if you are a coward or "yes-man"
I-M (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB20 November 2013
If you Kiss butt, you will stay and go far in this company. But if you have an opinion and a voice, then you might not want to waste your time. I was at MEG with URS Flint and "let-go" for no factual reason. Excuses were made and lies were spoken. I know the main realistic reason was because I spoke my mind. If there was an issue, I brought it up. Mr KC and Mr. JH did not scare me like they did most of the other employees!!
My biggest issue with URS Flint is in fact HOW I was let-go. A fly in/fly out job (I am from the east coast), yet i was sent to Edmonton by Greyhound and left stranded to fend for myself. A single mother with no money, no one in Edmonton that I knew, in the middle of the night (too late to catch any flights).
My advice to you if you end up working for this company, keep your mouth shut and have enough money saved up to get you home!
Pros
a few decent employees
Cons
lies, cheap, power hungry

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Urs Flint. Our community is ready to answer.