Urs Flint Employee Reviews

Horrible, disorganized company, 0 security, horrible pay
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Calgary10 March 2014
The majority of management and VPs within the company don't even have University education, much less a trades ticket.

URS is known to pay ~15% less than the rest of industry.

Non-uniformity across all jobsites/divisions. What may go with one, i.e pay/rules/etc. will not go with others.

0 job security and no guarantee you'll go to another job, there's a huge disconnect

The way they fire people is absolutely absurd, calling them into a board room in front of their team, firing them, and dividing their team in front of them.

Management is useless and prefer to hide behind reports they demand to make their jobs seem relevant.

Bust your behind for this company and don't get recognized. Hiding safety and environmental incidents....

Garbage company
Pros
Big company, easy to hide in the shade
Cons
No work/life balance, terrible management, very bad pay
Absolute disaster zone
Office staff (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB11 October 2013
Completely disorganized
Nepotism/favouritism is rampant
Management has absolutely no clue as to how to properly run an Oilsands fabrication company
No chance to advance
Pros
Met/worked with a few very good tradespeople
Cons
Management has absolutely no clue about anything at all, just talk a big game to feel important
Always work with good people. Safest company.
Journeyman Welder (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB6 September 2013
I enjoyed working alongside electricians. Met many good people, always felt safe. Hardest part of the job was working the same area as other trades. Most enjoyable part of the job was the people I got to work with. Only problem is there are so many workers you become just a number to management.
Generally my choice place of employement
Quality Control (Current Employee) –  Cold Lake29 October 2013
great opportunities for advancement and long term employement. Great work schedule. Because of these advantages the rate of pay is the lowest in the area for local long term loyal employees!
Pros
Free lunches, benefits, safety points program, gauranteed work
Cons
Low rates, low worker moral
All and all a sound group of people to work with within the industry
Electrical Foreman (Former Employee) –  Stat Oil south of Anzac25 August 2015
good sound company policies with fair company befits! working with the U R S management was always a professional and courteous experience!
great employment
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 May 2015
the jobs ive been on besides this one was very well structured and well managed I learnt a lot from my co-workers about procedures of how to do more tasks on a sefer level and everyone was a team
Pros
excellent group of people to work with
Cons
weather but we managed
Horrible moral and safety culture
Field safety (Former Employee) –  Ft. Nelson26 October 2012
Very unfriendly atmosphere. Upper management has no respect for field employees. Everything that this company does is to put money in their pocket. They have a sound safety system but the work environment is still get it done. Worker safety is more up to the worker vrs. Supervision. Workers left to fen for themselves rather that having their immediate supervision assisting in a safe productive manner. Any dealing with supervision to worker is done with distain. Very very poor environment to work in. Company supplied transportation is old not maintain and generally begrudging.
I rather doubt that I would expose myself to this type of abuse again. If the were actually one of Alberta's 10 best employers it is beyond me how that was archived judging by the culture of this company. Maybe with the change in ownership their culture might improve. .
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
talk the talk but don't walk the walk
Disorganized
Pipefitter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 April 2013
This is my first experience with URS Flint, but the impression is not the greatest. There are some good things, but overall, the managerial skills are severely lacking, and this makes everything seem much worse.
In a typical day, workers meet for the morning tailgate, there is a safety moment, and we go over the tasks for the day. Then we meet with our foremen and discuss individual tasks. We write up THA (Task Hazard Assessments) and proceed with gathering our tools and getting to our job sites. We work for 10 hour shifts.
The hardest part of the day would probably be getting through the length of the day and the physicality of the work.
The most enjoyable part is learning new things about pipefitting.
I have learned a great deal about safety procedures, including tool use, and assessing and eliminating hazards.
Pros
easy for new workers to get into a pipefitting trade
Cons
low salary, poor management, slow learning curve
How they keep getting jobs is beyond me
Electrician/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB3 March 2015
Every site is usually a mess, management does virtually nothing. Don't get me wrong there's some good people but that's overshadowed by the higher ups being incompetent (I've seen a grown foreman cry)
Pros
Lots of out of town work
Great Safety Culture environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 December 2014
Once deployed to site, we worked 12 hour days. The Safety team was an excellent group, that thrived on team work and getting the safety culture instilled in all employees.
Pros
Learning experience of working out side of the United States
Cons
12 hour days
Poorly managed, disappointing company
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB10 November 2013
Great co-workers but poor support from the company.
Company refuses to properly repair trucks, you are often
asked to run poor condition equipment because they are too cheap
to fix them. Only until a unit is un-able to pass a pre-trip/post-trip inspection will the truck get fixed.

Company is taking away all the bonus incentives, when it still existed they would take FOREVER to pay out the amount promised to you.
Management will quickly blame employees for errors and mistakes but do little to nothing to help workers.

What is said by management in a monthly meeting with it's employees is all for show and just to make people feel better. No promises are kept, managers are hypocrites.

Wages are just OK compared to what other companies pay for the same work.

If for some reason you upset a manager you will be "sat" and not given a shift as some dictator-like form of punishment.
Pros
Quick to hire
Cons
Terribly run managment
Good working atmosphere where you are encouraged regularly.
Area Project Accountant (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 February 2013
I have learned to grow as an employee and personally. Management is willing to help in all ways possible and they encourage your best work. I love coming to work everyday, as there is a great working environment and atmosphere
worst company ever
electrical apprentice (Former Employee) –  stat oil13 March 2014
Terrible company! No job security for good workers only for people who suck up. Have to be friends with the GF to be liked or to keep your job. Worst job and company ever very disappointed!
Pros
few good coworkers
Cons
management, everything about the company
Very good company to work for , looking for more out of town work
Safety/Electrician (Current Employee) –  Calgary Alberta27 December 2012
I enjoy my time at URS FLINT they have been very good to me. They allowed me time off to complete my NCSO training. FLINT always encouraged me to keep advancing myself and I'm greatful for all ive learned here.
URS Flint is engineering, and construction for oil and gas industry
Estimator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton AB7 December 2012
Takeoff estimating different project- Oil and Gas
Cost engineering
Project Management
Good Team work
Time dead line for complition of estimation and review
Pros
flexible hours of work
Cons
compressed work week
Safe atmosphere, intelligent staff. and good benefits.
WELDERS HELPER/ LABOURER (Current Employee) –  Cold Lake AB20 November 2014
I love working for URS. they gave me a good position with advancement opportunities. I would like to continue to work for them if I can find another location.
Pros
bonuses, jump hours.
Cons
cold alberta
Camp could use some upgrades, but worksite was good.
Industrial Electrician (Former Employee) –  Anzac, AB26 June 2014
Work was how I expected it. I learned a lot about different parts of the trade and worked with a lot of different types of people. Always people to carpool with, lots of time to hang out.
Pros
Free Hospitality
Productive and fun place to work
Sub-Contract Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary29 May 2013
An interesting atmosphere to work, people from various parts of the world, huge exercise room to distress after the day's work, good meals and overall pleasant communication with all managers and fellow employees.
Strong emphasis on maintaining a safe work environment
Carpenter/Leadhand (Former Employee) –  Anzac, Alberta5 October 2014
Worksites both well kept, supplied, and safe.
Significant communication gaps between management and line workers often resulted in production slow downs with little to no accountability.
I would go back
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB10 June 2014
Didn't mind working for them at all. A little clicky but otherwise enjoyed my time. Good pay and benefits, and worked with some great people.
Pros
pay, benefits, good shift, great crew
Cons
insecure management, not much chance of advancement

76%