Urs Flint Employee Reviews

Good work experiance , learned alot , good managment.
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Anzac, AB23 July 2014
Good job, good flights and a good camp. Overall good experience with URS.
the only good thing about it was the fact that they had free freezies
DSP Fitter (Former Employee) –  Keyera Fort Sask14 July 2014
Keyera site project manager was a complete lunatic, running around yelling at people to get out in the field and then when you see him on site he walks into your area without having any idea what your plan is and starts sticking his nose in where it doesnt belong...I have heard stories of the same clown has been seen spying on workers from elevated locations with binoculars... The bussing was nice for some and more of a pain in the rear for the majority. 13.5 hour day just freom when i got on the bus to getting off and i was paid for 11. DSP pay was the lowest i have personally seen as far back as i can remember. 53/hour straight time.
Its not right to be herding people around like cattle at break times and closing up smoking areas with a lock and chain?
Not something i would ever be a part of...
Pros
freezies and LOA
Cons
Having to be there
Camp could use some upgrades, but worksite was good.
Industrial Electrician (Former Employee) –  Anzac, AB26 June 2014
Work was how I expected it. I learned a lot about different parts of the trade and worked with a lot of different types of people. Always people to carpool with, lots of time to hang out.
Pros
Free Hospitality
good guys to work with/ for
Steamfitter-Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB11 June 2014
Crane work, fitting for welders, grinder work, bolt up, working with picker trucks, high torqueing flanges
Pros
good guys nice environment
Cons
hot days no shade
I would go back
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB10 June 2014
Didn't mind working for them at all. A little clicky but otherwise enjoyed my time. Good pay and benefits, and worked with some great people.
Pros
pay, benefits, good shift, great crew
Cons
insecure management, not much chance of advancement
Good people - no job security
Human Resources Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB7 May 2014
Good people; no job security; no opportunity for advancement; low pay.
Fun, new people to work with.
Apprenticing Pipe Fitter (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake29 April 2014
Be at work for 7, have a safety meeting. Then put our lunches away and go grab our tools. Have breaks at 10 and 3 leave site at 5. Great benefits got too take time off for holidays or if i needed a day off in the week they were very willing. Management was great and easy too get along with. Hardest part was working in some very annoying weather somedays but thats part of the job. Learning new things was the best part of it.
Nice friendly environm,ent
Electrican (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 April 2014
Great place to work, friendly people good supervisors. they have a good management and will accomodate out of town workers.
Poor Workplace Overall
Instrumentation Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB14 April 2014
Above average payment.
Safety was below par, over the time I worked there was an average of an accident every few days and the site was shut down for investigation.
Company culture encouraged lying to safety in the safety tickets.
The Instrumentation shop was run by an apprentice. There was supposedly a Journeyman on site to meet standards but I never met him in my two months of employment. My 'journeyman' was a carpenter and had no formal schooling in instrumentation or any instrumentation accreditation. Tube bending was the only lesson taught.
I was laid off as soon as their other apprentice returned from school and they did not bother to indenture me.
Pros
Well paid, fair benefits package
Cons
long hours, long shifts, poor supervision, terrible safety record
Good Organisation
Cost Controller (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 April 2014
Good Organisation and Coworkers.
Equal opportunities are given to every one.
Pretty solid company
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Leismer25 March 2014
Co workers were great, management seemed to do there best but communication seemed poor between on site staff and head office, lots of unnecessary new hires. Leismer Lodge camp was amazing.
Good experience.
Productive and fun workplace
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 March 2014
A typical day starts by talking to the people who use the computer systems in the company. I help them solve their computer related problems. The staffs are attentive and ready to help, which really made me understand how to work effectively at the job I was doing. I love being the person to turn to when computer related problems arises, knowing that I can fix it.
Good
Estimator (Former Employee) –  Sherwood park22 March 2014
Good overall life balance
Salary not competitive enough.
good coworkers
Pros
timing and hours of work
Cons
salary
Great co - workers - Terrible management
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray19 March 2014
6 months of work at URS-Flint , management was brutal, did not receive a pay stub for 3 months, (paid weekly) paycheques were always on time tho. I have $2000 of my own money in RRSP thru paycheque deduction, I have not been able to track where this money actually is and noone seems to know or want to help me. Flint had a great name years ago until URS bought them out, went downhill, American company now. They hire anyone, because no one wants to work for them. General contractor kicked URS off site and brought in another contractor.

Good luck!
Pros
I liked the people I worked with
Cons
Management, your just "a number", zero job security, bad vibes all around
great camp and very generous rewards for safety records
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Anzac, AB17 March 2014
Urs Flint was my first experience in the oil sands .My experience was a positive experience .Scary at first but with time it became better . The camp was excellent . I got along with co-workers quite well , A typical day would be outside in the laydown taking instruction from my foreman .This could be anything from locating material to helping load or unload trailers to snow blowing from material . The only hardest part of the job was the - 40 weather and that wasn't that bad because we were told to warm up when ever we felt too cold .The most enjoyable part of the job was when we were so busy but worked as a team and got everything to site that was needed and the foreman would say good job guys we had a good day . I learned that the oil sands and URS work very well together , safety is first , environment , site cleanliness all are of top priority so this gave me an appreciation . They took me in, gave a job and paid me well with benefits . I was laid off in January from shortage of work but hope to be back in the near future to another URS site .
Pros
Great Camp
Cons
- 40 Brrrrrrrrrrr !
worst company ever
electrical apprentice (Former Employee) –  stat oil13 March 2014
Terrible company! No job security for good workers only for people who suck up. Have to be friends with the GF to be liked or to keep your job. Worst job and company ever very disappointed!
Pros
few good coworkers
Cons
management, everything about the company
Horrible, disorganized company, 0 security, horrible pay
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Calgary10 March 2014
The majority of management and VPs within the company don't even have University education, much less a trades ticket.

URS is known to pay ~15% less than the rest of industry.

Non-uniformity across all jobsites/divisions. What may go with one, i.e pay/rules/etc. will not go with others.

0 job security and no guarantee you'll go to another job, there's a huge disconnect

The way they fire people is absolutely absurd, calling them into a board room in front of their team, firing them, and dividing their team in front of them.

Management is useless and prefer to hide behind reports they demand to make their jobs seem relevant.

Bust your behind for this company and don't get recognized. Hiding safety and environmental incidents....

Garbage company
Pros
Big company, easy to hide in the shade
Cons
No work/life balance, terrible management, very bad pay
Good company
Piping Planner (Former Employee) –  Anzac, AB - Surmont 29 March 2014
URS is a great company to work for if you plan on just going with the flow and have no real ambition for advancement or growth.
Pros
Large company with lots of work, you will alwasy have a position.
Poorly managed company. Too many overhead costs.
superintendent (Current Employee) –  ft. macmurray12 February 2014
Poorly managed company at the higher management level. Employee's are rewarded for who they know and not what they know.
Works days are good. Pay level is average.
good
Pipefitter/ Steamfitter (Current Employee) –  Anzac, AB10 February 2014
this company provided giid work but not good managment good camps good flights