Urs Flint Employee Reviews in Canada

Horrible moral and safety culture
Field safety (Former Employee) –  Ft. NelsonOctober 26, 2012
Very unfriendly atmosphere. Upper management has no respect for field employees. Everything that this company does is to put money in their pocket. They have a sound safety system but the work environment is still get it done. Worker safety is more up to the worker vrs. Supervision. Workers left to fen for themselves rather that having their immediate supervision assisting in a safe productive manner. Any dealing with supervision to worker is done with distain. Very very poor environment to work in. Company supplied transportation is old not maintain and generally begrudging.
I rather doubt that I would expose myself to this type of abuse again. If the were actually one of Alberta's 10 best employers it is beyond me how that was archived judging by the culture of this company. Maybe with the change in ownership their culture might improve. .
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
talk the talk but don't walk the walk
Rewarding, Exciting, Educational
POA / Personal Assistant / Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 23, 2014
During the course of the day one can never expect a "normal" day. The environment I work in is ever changing and challenging. I work with a very diverse group of engineers, inspectors and upper management staff.

Knowing how to balance my day and duties is challenging but rewarding. Being a part of such a large project, our client has allowed me to grow and contribute a chapter of their production manual. I have designed, implemented and trained my coworkers to use daily an electronic signature. This signature stamp is used by on our project when uploading into the "SharePoint" (a software program), which is used company wide.

I enjoy the people I work with, and gaining knowledge every day. I have enjoyed working in the construction industry for many years and look forward to expanding my experiences.
Pros
experiance of working in a very divers enviroment with many cultures from around the world.
Cons
i would not say it is a con however, you must be aware of your suroundings at all times safety must come first!
Productive and fun
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 4, 2014
My day to day activities while working at URS Flint consisted of daily/ weekly reports. We would have our morning safety meetings, and then work hard at building/ editing our hydro packages, making sure that everything was correct for our hydro team to complete a successful hydro test, and continue on in a safe manor for operation. Data entry was also a large part. Our database needed to maintained consistently, in order for all departments to know exactly what was going on at any given time. The more difficult part I found when we were turnover the documentation to the client, sometimes, certain documents would not be completed or not found. In these cases, we would need to go back, get all the required information completed and passed over to the client. Any challenges we had, we met and pushed through to excel. I enjoyed any challenge that popped up, and I enjoy to be challenged. I love to learn new things, and push through any issue that arise. I was sad to leave, but the project was completed. I met so many new people and new friends, and learned so much at my time spent with URS. We were all a family away from home.
An excellent company to work with.
Piping Lead hand (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 31, 2015
*Days of work should start with toolbox meeting and work place hazard assessments.
*Good implementation of safety rules and regulations leads to a productive and safe work at the end of the day.
*Management,from higher ranks to supervisors are concerned to every worker's safety,production is secondary.
*Teamwork and looking upon each other is important in a group.
*Piping job is not that easy but competency make it so.
*The enjoyable part of the job is when the task given is done,no matter how hard we've been through but no one got hurt.
Poor Place to Be
Construction Administrator (Current Employee) –  Hardisty, ABOctober 9, 2014
I do love the type of job I did for URS but when you prepare payroll and every Friday staff do NOT get paid because the person who is the JCA that enters it into JC Edwards that cuts the cheques misses pages of people and has no clue where the information you sent them went it is very frustrating. I proved the proper information was sent every week, and reported the issue to both HR and my supervisor and still nothing done about it, I ended up quitting because I could not deal with staff members constantly coming in with pay issues that should not of been occurring.
Pros
loved the work, loved the fast paced environment, loved the long shifts
Cons
poor procedures and policies, poor management from head office, too many people transmitting the same information
Okay place to work, terrible management
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Conklin, ABJanuary 14, 2013
Was at MEG Energy Christina lake site, travel was about the only benefit of working there, management was terrible, no communication and very poor planning, spent most of the shift doing nothing but sitting around, might of worked 40 - 60 hours in two weeks. I prefer to be kept busy but thats just me. crews were pretty good, except for the local labour i think they hired at fort mac 7/11 as some of the guys have never seen a shovel in there lives. foreman were good, 2.25 for night shift bonus which was ok, top Operator rate was 42.74 including night shift premium, if you get into Poplar ridge camp on site you will be lucky as it is a awesome camp with great food and rooms
Pros
travel covered, stress free
Cons
poor management, boring, no real respect for employees
Overall positive experience.
Labour II (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 16, 2014
Working for URS Flint was overall an enjoyable experience. The company treated me well during my short time with them. I was hoping to work with them for a longer period of time but because of work shortage there were large layoffs. My foreman was very understanding and great to work for. The hardest part of my job was to keep busy considering the lack of work at the time. The most enjoyable part of the job was gaining the experience in such a large plant setting, Surmont 2 was the largest plant I had ever been on and gaining general knowledge of how it operated and how it was being built was enjoyable.
Pros
good people, good foreman, good wage
Cons
lack of job security
good job environment
Instrumentation Technician Journeyman (Current Employee) –  Husky SunriseJanuary 14, 2015
1,C&SU, pre-commissioning, DCP, punches list, start up
2,PM, inspect, install, calibrate, test, commissioning and maintain measurement, control, analytical, fire and gas detection instrumentation equipment
3,Troubleshoot electronic, instrumentation analytical and control equipment,
4,Repair, maintain and adjust system components or remove and replace defective parts,
5,good work team and management
6,strat-up is a most challenged job.
Pros
came in site
Poorly managed, disappointing company
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Drayton Valley, ABNovember 10, 2013
Great co-workers but poor support from the company.
Company refuses to properly repair trucks, you are often
asked to run poor condition equipment because they are too cheap
to fix them. Only until a unit is un-able to pass a pre-trip/post-trip inspection will the truck get fixed.

Company is taking away all the bonus incentives, when it still existed they would take FOREVER to pay out the amount promised to you.
Management will quickly blame employees for errors and mistakes but do little to nothing to help workers.

What is said by management in a monthly meeting with it's employees is all for show and just to make people feel better. No promises are kept, managers are hypocrites.

Wages are just OK compared to what other companies pay for the same work.

If for some reason you upset a manager you will be "sat" and not given a shift as some dictator-like form of punishment.
Pros
quick to hire
Cons
terribly run managment
Large Company
Construction Supervisor/ pipe fitter (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, ABFebruary 9, 2015
URS Flint has been through many changes in the last 10 years, As a conglomerate of many smaller companies, it became noticed by much larger firms based out of the USA. IT currently just re sold to AECOM. A very large company with over 80000 employees world wide. So it is going through another change within itself. With corporate leaders from many different parts of the world coming together to make a singular world view of construction ethics and practices.
Pros
great insurance plans and support systems
Cons
always changing hands, no more small town, i know you, type of feeling, very corporate, very legal.
URS merged with Flint to form URS Flint.
Office Manager/Executive Assistant (Oil & Gas) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 28, 2015
I had a very busy and active position with this company.

I was the Office Manager to 200+ plus employees in one building, and by the end was Office Manager to 500+ employees in 3 different buildings.

I was also the Executive Assistant to the Sr. VP, and to several VP's - both in Calgary and in Edmonton.
A great place to work at
Steamfitter/Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Anzac, ABOctober 15, 2013
Work was for the most part straight forward, there were times of organization problems, I learn a lot of valuable skills for pipe fitting with my time there. Management could have handled workers better. Coworkers ranged from inexperienced but eager to learn to veterans in the trade that are willing to help. The hardest part of the job was dealing with other trades and working with and around them, and the most enjoyable part was the group of people I worked for.
Pros
free meals, gym facilities and nice living arrangements
Cons
food quality
the only good thing about it was the fact that they had free freezies
DSP Fitter (Former Employee) –  Keyera Fort SaskJuly 14, 2014
Keyera site project manager was a complete lunatic, running around yelling at people to get out in the field and then when you see him on site he walks into your area without having any idea what your plan is and starts sticking his nose in where it doesnt belong...I have heard stories of the same clown has been seen spying on workers from elevated locations with binoculars... The bussing was nice for some and more of a pain in the rear for the majority. 13.5 hour day just freom when i got on the bus to getting off and i was paid for 11. DSP pay was the lowest i have personally seen as far back as i can remember. 53/hour straight time.
Its not right to be herding people around like cattle at break times and closing up smoking areas with a lock and chain?
Not something i would ever be a part of...
Pros
freezies and loa
Cons
having to be there
Relaxing atmosphere after work without too much shop talk.
Construction Electrician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AlbertaJanuary 26, 2014
Arrive early and review assigned work task.
Plan your work and work your plan.
Discus any unknowns with your management and co-workers. "If you don't know, ask."
The hardest part of the job is to make sure everybody stays focused and don't become complacent.
The most enjoyable part of the job is participation from everybody involved and checking to make sure everybody goes home safe every day,
Pros
a satisfied team.
Cons
negative attitudes and smokers.
worst company ever
electrical apprentice (Former Employee) –  stat oilMarch 13, 2014
Terrible company! No job security for good workers only for people who suck up. Have to be friends with the GF to be liked or to keep your job. Worst job and company ever very disappointed!
Pros
few good coworkers
Cons
management, everything about the company
How they keep getting jobs is beyond me
Electrician/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABMarch 3, 2015
Every site is usually a mess, management does virtually nothing. Don't get me wrong there's some good people but that's overshadowed by the higher ups being incompetent (I've seen a grown foreman cry)
Pros
Lots of out of town work
Cons
Great place...if you are a coward or "yes-man"
I-M (Former Employee) –  Conklin, ABNovember 20, 2013
If you Kiss butt, you will stay and go far in this company. But if you have an opinion and a voice, then you might not want to waste your time. I was at MEG with URS Flint and "let-go" for no factual reason. Excuses were made and lies were spoken. I know the main realistic reason was because I spoke my mind. If there was an issue, I brought it up. Mr KC and Mr. JH did not scare me like they did most of the other employees!!
My biggest issue with URS Flint is in fact HOW I was let-go. A fly in/fly out job (I am from the east coast), yet i was sent to Edmonton by Greyhound and left stranded to fend for myself. A single mother with no money, no one in Edmonton that I knew, in the middle of the night (too late to catch any flights).
My advice to you if you end up working for this company, keep your mouth shut and have enough money saved up to get you home!
Pros
a few decent employees
Cons
lies, cheap, power hungry
great employment
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMay 14, 2015
the jobs ive been on besides this one was very well structured and well managed I learnt a lot from my co-workers about procedures of how to do more tasks on a sefer level and everyone was a team
Pros
excellent group of people to work with
Cons
weather but we managed
Nothing stands out.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  AlbertaOctober 14, 2012
Way too much paper work required to be completed by employees. Older equipment that is well maintained but becoming worn out. Most of the equipment is badly corroded and over due for new paint. Pay is only average. Shop pay is a much, much lower rate than the field pay. A lot of politics, and most staff members are unhappy. No subsistence. No boot allowance. Pay to wash your own coveralls and receive no reimbursement.
Cons
use your own cell phone constantly, no subsistance, no boot allowance.
Overall very good experience
Mechanic and Relief Foreman (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 4, 2014
11hr days, started at 7am work was different everyday a combination of equipment maintenance/repair and field work, camp food was very good. Learned a great deal about HD off-road construction equipment. Management overall was good, had excellent co-workers, most challenging was not having easy access to service data. Most enjoyable was the people I had met at the past two sites.