Urs Flint Employee Reviews in Canada

Overall positive experience.
Labour II (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 16, 2014
Working for URS Flint was overall an enjoyable experience. The company treated me well during my short time with them. I was hoping to work with them for a longer period of time but because of work shortage there were large layoffs. My foreman was very understanding and great to work for. The hardest part of my job was to keep busy considering the lack of work at the time. The most enjoyable part of the job was gaining the experience in such a large plant setting, Surmont 2 was the largest plant I had ever been on and gaining general knowledge of how it operated and how it was being built was enjoyable.
Pros
good people, good foreman, good wage
Cons
lack of job security
Poor Workplace Overall
Instrumentation Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, ABApril 14, 2014
Above average payment.
Safety was below par, over the time I worked there was an average of an accident every few days and the site was shut down for investigation.
Company culture encouraged lying to safety in the safety tickets.
The Instrumentation shop was run by an apprentice. There was supposedly a Journeyman on site to meet standards but I never met him in my two months of employment. My 'journeyman' was a carpenter and had no formal schooling in instrumentation or any instrumentation accreditation. Tube bending was the only lesson taught.
I was laid off as soon as their other apprentice returned from school and they did not bother to indenture me.
Pros
well paid, fair benefits package
Cons
long hours, long shifts, poor supervision, terrible safety record
A great place to work at
Steamfitter/Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Anzac, ABOctober 15, 2013
Work was for the most part straight forward, there were times of organization problems, I learn a lot of valuable skills for pipe fitting with my time there. Management could have handled workers better. Coworkers ranged from inexperienced but eager to learn to veterans in the trade that are willing to help. The hardest part of the job was dealing with other trades and working with and around them, and the most enjoyable part was the group of people I worked for.
Pros
free meals, gym facilities and nice living arrangements
Cons
food quality
Worst safety culture in the industry
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurrayAugust 25, 2013
They talk a good game when it comes to safety, in reality safety is an afterthought. Bring up a safety concern and you will be fired or layed off as soon as they can. Report an incident, fired. Get an injury and go to first aid, fired.

They cover up incidents with their clients, hire inexperienced and incompetent safety people who the management bully and ignore, then place the blame on when something happens. They don't care about their people. Period. Look at the reviews below. Admin and office people love the place. Anyone who works on the tools and puts their lives at risk, not so much.
Pros
great place to work if you want to get hurt
Cons
horrible place to work if you value your health and safety
Great Place to Work
Billing Specialist (Project Accountant) (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, OntarioMarch 29, 2013
When I joined this company as A/P clerk, situation was really bad because of transition of accounting system to ERP and old clerk left job with short notice. I managed independently whole A/P to stabilize. I was the only one in A/P. In 2011 I joined Billing department. Enjoyed working, learning about new area in J.D. Edward system. Staff and supervisor are very co-operative and social. Company is currently undergoing major cost cutting and consolidation of jobs with US counterpart.
Pros
good work environment in canada division
Cons
powerless against us policy makers and very less decision making power.
Nothing stands out.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  AlbertaOctober 14, 2012
Way too much paper work required to be completed by employees. Older equipment that is well maintained but becoming worn out. Most of the equipment is badly corroded and over due for new paint. Pay is only average. Shop pay is a much, much lower rate than the field pay. A lot of politics, and most staff members are unhappy. No subsistence. No boot allowance. Pay to wash your own coveralls and receive no reimbursement.
Cons
use your own cell phone constantly, no subsistance, no boot allowance.
High Stress
Assisting recruiters (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 11, 2012
As a recruitment onboarder, it is imperative to be organized and able to maintain competence under stress. It was my responsibility to ensure my candidates made it up to the job site with the necessary credentials and on time. The stress that is involved with organizing credentials in a time crunch can be almost overwhelming. But when the candidate's information is off of my desk, a wave of success takes over.
Pros
great people
Cons
politics
the only good thing about it was the fact that they had free freezies
DSP Fitter (Former Employee) –  Keyera Fort SaskJuly 14, 2014
Keyera site project manager was a complete lunatic, running around yelling at people to get out in the field and then when you see him on site he walks into your area without having any idea what your plan is and starts sticking his nose in where it doesnt belong...I have heard stories of the same clown has been seen spying on workers from elevated locations with binoculars... The bussing was nice for some and more of a pain in the rear for the majority. 13.5 hour day just freom when i got on the bus to getting off and i was paid for 11. DSP pay was the lowest i have personally seen as far back as i can remember. 53/hour straight time.
Its not right to be herding people around like cattle at break times and closing up smoking areas with a lock and chain?
Not something i would ever be a part of...
Pros
freezies and loa
Cons
having to be there
Average working environment plagued by low morale.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABOctober 14, 2012
Nothing stands out as a first choice for employment. Field wages are only average. No additional compensation, no incentives, no subsistence, no boot allowance. Field work is spotty. Too much paperwork expected. Low worker morale. Old equipment, crude and corroded in appearance.
Pros
friendly management and staff.
Cons
average pay, no advancement opportunities for basic educated field employees.
Terrible Work inviroment, Lies, Lies, and more Lies
Electrician (Former Employee) –  ConklinDecember 16, 2012
Safety is just a word, management treats everyone like dirt. Even each other. They must think there is an endless amount of competent Tradesmen out there looking for work. They hire them, jerk them around, they quit or get fired for no reason. I worked one month for them and that was more then enough. They will realize one day soon that their company is nothing without competent tradesmen. The word is spreading fast about this companies disrespect towards it workers. In 2013 and the coming years their is going to be a huge shortage of tradesmen in the oil sands.The way URS Flint is going through them now there won't be anyone left in 6 months that hasn't heard about staying away from this company.
Pros
they won't be around much longer
Cons
everything
Productive and fun workplace
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 23, 2014
A typical day starts by talking to the people who use the computer systems in the company. I help them solve their computer related problems. The staffs are attentive and ready to help, which really made me understand how to work effectively at the job I was doing. I love being the person to turn to when computer related problems arises, knowing that I can fix it.
Okay place to work, terrible management
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Conklin, ABJanuary 14, 2013
Was at MEG Energy Christina lake site, travel was about the only benefit of working there, management was terrible, no communication and very poor planning, spent most of the shift doing nothing but sitting around, might of worked 40 - 60 hours in two weeks. I prefer to be kept busy but thats just me. crews were pretty good, except for the local labour i think they hired at fort mac 7/11 as some of the guys have never seen a shovel in there lives. foreman were good, 2.25 for night shift bonus which was ok, top Operator rate was 42.74 including night shift premium, if you get into Poplar ridge camp on site you will be lucky as it is a awesome camp with great food and rooms
Pros
travel covered, stress free
Cons
poor management, boring, no real respect for employees

Comment – June 11, 2013

I currently work for Flint at MEG Christina Lake and agree that communication / planning is very poor. I have found this to be the case with Flint the previous two time I have worked for them. Flint was bought by URS last year and I have been told that URS has been observing management, operations and that "restructuring" of management from top to bottom will begin in the next 8 to 12 months.

Terrible erratic Management
Compliance function - Management (Former Employee) –  Sherwood ParkMay 10, 2013
Awful company to work for, due to erratic centralised decision by unqualified group that has risen through the ranks. Good policies on paper that is only for reference and show casing. Terrible employee morale due to inconsistent labour policies and frequent terminations.
Pros
good pay scale
Cons
uninspiring, uncertain, lack of hr values and not truthful.
excellent company to work for
steamfitter/pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 14, 2015
Excellent company to work for, management is well organized, co-workers are great mentors, great salary and benefits
Pros
salary
Cons
cold weather
Safe atmosphere, intelligent staff. and good benefits.
WELDERS HELPER/ LABOURER (Current Employee) –  Cold Lake ABNovember 20, 2014
I love working for URS. they gave me a good position with advancement opportunities. I would like to continue to work for them if I can find another location.
Pros
bonuses, jump hours.
Cons
cold alberta
This was a great job
Pipe fitter (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 1, 2013
learned a lot about fitting at the oil sands had a great crew and foremen, there was no extreme pressure, sometimes in difficult to reach location on the sight, and the extreme weather made it tough but we all got along and worked hard.
Pros
food tv and internet was taken care, of employeers and employee's were laid back
Cons
extreme weather, some camps were poorer quality
Horrible, disorganized company, 0 security, horrible pay
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  CalgaryMarch 10, 2014
The majority of management and VPs within the company don't even have University education, much less a trades ticket.

URS is known to pay ~15% less than the rest of industry.

Non-uniformity across all jobsites/divisions. What may go with one, i.e pay/rules/etc. will not go with others.

0 job security and no guarantee you'll go to another job, there's a huge disconnect

The way they fire people is absolutely absurd, calling them into a board room in front of their team, firing them, and dividing their team in front of them.

Management is useless and prefer to hide behind reports they demand to make their jobs seem relevant.

Bust your behind for this company and don't get recognized. Hiding safety and environmental incidents....

Garbage company
Pros
big company, easy to hide in the shade
Cons
no work/life balance, terrible management, very bad pay
Great place...if you are a coward or "yes-man"
I-M (Former Employee) –  Conklin, ABNovember 20, 2013
If you Kiss butt, you will stay and go far in this company. But if you have an opinion and a voice, then you might not want to waste your time. I was at MEG with URS Flint and "let-go" for no factual reason. Excuses were made and lies were spoken. I know the main realistic reason was because I spoke my mind. If there was an issue, I brought it up. Mr KC and Mr. JH did not scare me like they did most of the other employees!!
My biggest issue with URS Flint is in fact HOW I was let-go. A fly in/fly out job (I am from the east coast), yet i was sent to Edmonton by Greyhound and left stranded to fend for myself. A single mother with no money, no one in Edmonton that I knew, in the middle of the night (too late to catch any flights).
My advice to you if you end up working for this company, keep your mouth shut and have enough money saved up to get you home!
Pros
a few decent employees
Cons
lies, cheap, power hungry
Horrible work environment
Welder (Former Employee) –  Cold lakeJune 12, 2013
Flint in cold lake is a joke! They have their bbo cards but it is frowned upon if you have a safety concern. The foreman were good except for their dsp foreman who enjoyed walking over apprentices. No family life I was hired on a 40 hour work week and was forced to work a 60 hour 12/2 shift.

Stay away from flint in cold lake!!!
Pros
paid weekly
Cons
everything
Great crews
Pipe-fitting Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Cromer, ManitobaNovember 26, 2014
great crews and field level management made for a great work environment which was safety oriented which lead to clean/safe work environments.
Pros
great field level reward programs
Cons
lower end of the pay scale