Urs Flint Employee Reviews

Was not inpressed, mangers could care less.(your replaceable). If you have any personal issue to deal with,they could care less.
Oporator (Former Employee) –  Lampman SK4 November 2015
Not a good place to work. Your a number (a replaceable one). Safety is a joke. They'll say one thing in orientation, but in the feild another. I was ask to work a lone many times in a dangerous environment bye my manager and break enivomental laws. Would not recommend this employer.
Pros
Cons
too many
great people who are ready to work
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  grande prairie20 September 2015
As an apprentice you have to be ready for hard work
alot of physical work, installing lights and long hours
mainly camp work 15/6 or 24/4
this is all depending on location
Pros
good money, great people
Cons
poorly organized
Poor Place to Be
Construction Administrator (Current Employee) –  Hardisty, AB9 October 2014
I do love the type of job I did for URS but when you prepare payroll and every Friday staff do NOT get paid because the person who is the JCA that enters it into JC Edwards that cuts the cheques misses pages of people and has no clue where the information you sent them went it is very frustrating. I proved the proper information was sent every week, and reported the issue to both HR and my supervisor and still nothing done about it, I ended up quitting because I could not deal with staff members constantly coming in with pay issues that should not of been occurring.
Pros
loved the work, loved the fast paced environment, loved the long shifts
Cons
poor procedures and policies, poor management from head office, too many people transmitting the same information
Okay place to work, terrible management
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Conklin, AB14 January 2013
Was at MEG Energy Christina lake site, travel was about the only benefit of working there, management was terrible, no communication and very poor planning, spent most of the shift doing nothing but sitting around, might of worked 40 - 60 hours in two weeks. I prefer to be kept busy but thats just me. crews were pretty good, except for the local labour i think they hired at fort mac 7/11 as some of the guys have never seen a shovel in there lives. foreman were good, 2.25 for night shift bonus which was ok, top Operator rate was 42.74 including night shift premium, if you get into Poplar ridge camp on site you will be lucky as it is a awesome camp with great food and rooms
Pros
travel covered, stress free
Cons
poor management, boring, no real respect for employees
Overall positive experience.
Labour II (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 January 2014
Working for URS Flint was overall an enjoyable experience. The company treated me well during my short time with them. I was hoping to work with them for a longer period of time but because of work shortage there were large layoffs. My foreman was very understanding and great to work for. The hardest part of my job was to keep busy considering the lack of work at the time. The most enjoyable part of the job was gaining the experience in such a large plant setting, Surmont 2 was the largest plant I had ever been on and gaining general knowledge of how it operated and how it was being built was enjoyable.
Pros
Good people, good foreman, good wage
Cons
lack of job security
If you got nowhere else to go .....
Journeyman pipe fitter (Former Employee) –  Alberta20 May 2015
Be sure your recruiter tells you all the details of the job your hired for . They will hold back bits of info just to trap you into showing up .

-Remember , 10 and 4 means 5 and 2 , that's to keep you from making any decent overtime .
-Make sure you have a signed agreement for LOA .
-ALWAYS ask , if your first day is the beginning of s shift , or if you are showing up midshift ,They will never tell you unless you ask , and ask a field manager , NOT a recruiter .

Generally , in the experience of myself and many others , you are a disposable number to this company . Be prepared to be disappointed Which is their whole plan , so they can dip into their bottomless well temporary foreign workers, giving that program a reason to keep existing
Run away !!
Productive and fun
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 December 2014
My day to day activities while working at URS Flint consisted of daily/ weekly reports. We would have our morning safety meetings, and then work hard at building/ editing our hydro packages, making sure that everything was correct for our hydro team to complete a successful hydro test, and continue on in a safe manor for operation. Data entry was also a large part. Our database needed to maintained consistently, in order for all departments to know exactly what was going on at any given time. The more difficult part I found when we were turnover the documentation to the client, sometimes, certain documents would not be completed or not found. In these cases, we would need to go back, get all the required information completed and passed over to the client. Any challenges we had, we met and pushed through to excel. I enjoyed any challenge that popped up, and I enjoy to be challenged. I love to learn new things, and push through any issue that arise. I was sad to leave, but the project was completed. I met so many new people and new friends, and learned so much at my time spent with URS. We were all a family away from home.
Productive and fun workplace
Safety Administrator/Advisor (Former Employee) –  Anzac, AB30 October 2015
A typical day at work would start with doing our daily toolbox/tailgate meeting and stretch's. Then we would talk about what we would be working on that day so that no one was working on the same thing. I worked great with everyone and that made the day go by fast.
Poorly managed, disappointing company
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB10 November 2013
Great co-workers but poor support from the company.
Company refuses to properly repair trucks, you are often
asked to run poor condition equipment because they are too cheap
to fix them. Only until a unit is un-able to pass a pre-trip/post-trip inspection will the truck get fixed.

Company is taking away all the bonus incentives, when it still existed they would take FOREVER to pay out the amount promised to you.
Management will quickly blame employees for errors and mistakes but do little to nothing to help workers.

What is said by management in a monthly meeting with it's employees is all for show and just to make people feel better. No promises are kept, managers are hypocrites.

Wages are just OK compared to what other companies pay for the same work.

If for some reason you upset a manager you will be "sat" and not given a shift as some dictator-like form of punishment.
Pros
Quick to hire
Cons
Terribly run managment
Professional place to work but lack of focus
Strategic Account Manager (Major Projects) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 May 2015
A typical day involved conducting activities to help grow the brand and improve relationships with key clients. These activities included phone calls, emails, setting up and hosting internal and external meetings, developing marketing materials, and being part of internal review committee meetings.

While employed at AECOM/URS Flint, I learned about many different aspects of the Oil and Gas business and how to conduct myself in a professional manner.

This company is the product of many mergers and acquisitions over the years and, as a result, sometimes felt that they lacked a sense of identity and direction. The leadership seemed to struggle to define this for the organization and how to differentiate ourselves from the competition.
An excellent company to work with.
Piping Lead hand (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB31 January 2015
*Days of work should start with toolbox meeting and work place hazard assessments.
*Good implementation of safety rules and regulations leads to a productive and safe work at the end of the day.
*Management,from higher ranks to supervisors are concerned to every worker's safety,production is secondary.
*Teamwork and looking upon each other is important in a group.
*Piping job is not that easy but competency make it so.
*The enjoyable part of the job is when the task given is done,no matter how hard we've been through but no one got hurt.
Great place to work!!!
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 September 2015
Great place to work.

Lots of opportunities.

Organize company, with many careers opportunities.

Safety as it's best all around.
A great place to work at
Steamfitter/Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Anzac, AB15 October 2013
Work was for the most part straight forward, there were times of organization problems, I learn a lot of valuable skills for pipe fitting with my time there. Management could have handled workers better. Coworkers ranged from inexperienced but eager to learn to veterans in the trade that are willing to help. The hardest part of the job was dealing with other trades and working with and around them, and the most enjoyable part was the group of people I worked for.
Pros
Free meals, gym facilities and nice living arrangements
Cons
Food quality
good job environment
Instrumentation Technician Journeyman (Current Employee) –  Husky Sunrise14 January 2015
1,C&SU, pre-commissioning, DCP, punches list, start up
2,PM, inspect, install, calibrate, test, commissioning and maintain measurement, control, analytical, fire and gas detection instrumentation equipment
3,Troubleshoot electronic, instrumentation analytical and control equipment,
4,Repair, maintain and adjust system components or remove and replace defective parts,
5,good work team and management
6,strat-up is a most challenged job.
Pros
came in site
Relaxing atmosphere after work without too much shop talk.
Construction Electrician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Conklin, Alberta26 January 2014
Arrive early and review assigned work task.
Plan your work and work your plan.
Discus any unknowns with your management and co-workers. "If you don't know, ask."
The hardest part of the job is to make sure everybody stays focused and don't become complacent.
The most enjoyable part of the job is participation from everybody involved and checking to make sure everybody goes home safe every day,
Pros
A satisfied team.
Cons
Negative attitudes and smokers.
the only good thing about it was the fact that they had free freezies
DSP Fitter (Former Employee) –  Keyera Fort Sask14 July 2014
Keyera site project manager was a complete lunatic, running around yelling at people to get out in the field and then when you see him on site he walks into your area without having any idea what your plan is and starts sticking his nose in where it doesnt belong...I have heard stories of the same clown has been seen spying on workers from elevated locations with binoculars... The bussing was nice for some and more of a pain in the rear for the majority. 13.5 hour day just freom when i got on the bus to getting off and i was paid for 11. DSP pay was the lowest i have personally seen as far back as i can remember. 53/hour straight time.
Its not right to be herding people around like cattle at break times and closing up smoking areas with a lock and chain?
Not something i would ever be a part of...
Pros
freezies and LOA
Cons
Having to be there
Great place...if you are a coward or "yes-man"
I-M (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB20 November 2013
If you Kiss butt, you will stay and go far in this company. But if you have an opinion and a voice, then you might not want to waste your time. I was at MEG with URS Flint and "let-go" for no factual reason. Excuses were made and lies were spoken. I know the main realistic reason was because I spoke my mind. If there was an issue, I brought it up. Mr KC and Mr. JH did not scare me like they did most of the other employees!!
My biggest issue with URS Flint is in fact HOW I was let-go. A fly in/fly out job (I am from the east coast), yet i was sent to Edmonton by Greyhound and left stranded to fend for myself. A single mother with no money, no one in Edmonton that I knew, in the middle of the night (too late to catch any flights).
My advice to you if you end up working for this company, keep your mouth shut and have enough money saved up to get you home!
Pros
a few decent employees
Cons
lies, cheap, power hungry
All and all a sound group of people to work with within the industry
Electrical Foreman (Former Employee) –  Stat Oil south of Anzac25 August 2015
good sound company policies with fair company befits! working with the U R S management was always a professional and courteous experience!
worst company ever
electrical apprentice (Former Employee) –  stat oil13 March 2014
Terrible company! No job security for good workers only for people who suck up. Have to be friends with the GF to be liked or to keep your job. Worst job and company ever very disappointed!
Pros
few good coworkers
Cons
management, everything about the company
Large Company
Construction Supervisor/ pipe fitter (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB9 February 2015
URS Flint has been through many changes in the last 10 years, As a conglomerate of many smaller companies, it became noticed by much larger firms based out of the USA. IT currently just re sold to AECOM. A very large company with over 80000 employees world wide. So it is going through another change within itself. With corporate leaders from many different parts of the world coming together to make a singular world view of construction ethics and practices.
Pros
Great insurance plans and support systems
Cons
Always changing hands, no more small town, I know you, type of feeling, very corporate, very legal.