Urs Flint Employee Reviews

Great co - workers - Terrible management
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray19 March 2014
6 months of work at URS-Flint , management was brutal, did not receive a pay stub for 3 months, (paid weekly) paycheques were always on time tho. I have $2000 of my own money in RRSP thru paycheque deduction, I have not been able to track where this money actually is and noone seems to know or want to help me. Flint had a great name years ago until URS bought them out, went downhill, American company now. They hire anyone, because no one wants to work for them. General contractor kicked URS off site and brought in another contractor.

Good luck!
Pros
I liked the people I worked with
Cons
Management, your just "a number", zero job security, bad vibes all around
Rewarding, Exciting, Educational
POA / Personal Assistant / Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 July 2014
During the course of the day one can never expect a "normal" day. The environment I work in is ever changing and challenging. I work with a very diverse group of engineers, inspectors and upper management staff.

Knowing how to balance my day and duties is challenging but rewarding. Being a part of such a large project, our client has allowed me to grow and contribute a chapter of their production manual. I have designed, implemented and trained my coworkers to use daily an electronic signature. This signature stamp is used by on our project when uploading into the "SharePoint" (a software program), which is used company wide.

I enjoy the people I work with, and gaining knowledge every day. I have enjoyed working in the construction industry for many years and look forward to expanding my experiences.
Pros
Experiance of working in a very divers enviroment with many cultures from around the world.
Cons
I would not say it is a con however, you must be aware of your suroundings at all times Safety Must Come First!
great people to work for
operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 March 2016
a typical day at flint for me was heading to carseland refinery gas plant every morning to start putting diesel and gas filters in place. i was the operator so i had to make sure every critical was properly secured before lifting into position.

making sure i was always fully focused on task in hand the material was very expensive and hard to get over night as we had deadlines to meet.
Very fun loving and productive environment due to our Manager
Construction Coordinator (Project Engineer) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 April 2016
It was wonderful working with the individual care so much about his employees. It was pleasure working with the organisation.
productiv
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB23 March 2016
foreman was energetic and informed people as to what was to be done and how he wanted it to happen. when the job started the plan was made and we stuck to his plan and it worked out very well I was and am willing to work for this foreman again if the opportunity arose.
Pros
team spirit
Cons
not enough time with this company
Pipeline Laborer
Pipeline Labourer (Pre-heater) (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB6 May 2016
Performed preheating duties. Preheated pipe on the line which was to be welded. Also aided in stringing pipe into place along the pipeline.
Great Job
Apprentice Welder (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB16 December 2015
Had a great time working for URS Flint wish they had more work on the go.
A lot of long days and long nights but the pay was worth it
Pros
Free Food
I would go back
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB10 June 2014
Didn't mind working for them at all. A little clicky but otherwise enjoyed my time. Good pay and benefits, and worked with some great people.
Pros
pay, benefits, good shift, great crew
Cons
insecure management, not much chance of advancement
lots of work and OT.
Scaffolder. (Former Employee) –  Alberta16 March 2016
get up with all your co-workers get to the job start your day. work 12 hours go back to camp eat dinner shower up. then do your own thing for the rest of the day.
Pros
free food and housing.
Cons
lots of OT
Fun, new people to work with.
Apprenticing Pipe Fitter (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake29 April 2014
Be at work for 7, have a safety meeting. Then put our lunches away and go grab our tools. Have breaks at 10 and 3 leave site at 5. Great benefits got too take time off for holidays or if i needed a day off in the week they were very willing. Management was great and easy too get along with. Hardest part was working in some very annoying weather somedays but thats part of the job. Learning new things was the best part of it.
Productive and worth the experience
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Alberta10 March 2016
Even though I've only worked there for 2 months it's worth the experience because I had the chance to meet other talented people who has driven passion in working. Also had the chance to work with a great supervisor.
Long term loyal employee
Employee (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake Alberta28 January 2015
Over the years working for flint had its ups and its downs, I mostly remain indifferent. Although I do not always agree with the choices made and the actions taken, I am not trying to run a gigantic company with many parts.

Mostly my biggest concern throughout my time with Flint was that for some reason instead of working together to achieve one common goal, most are working to achieve their goal, whether it is at the expense of the final product or not.

Flint has proven to be a great training facility they do pay for all you're training as well as your time. This of course is provided that the training is related and benefits the company as a whole.
Generally my choice place of employement
Quality Control (Current Employee) –  Cold Lake29 October 2013
great opportunities for advancement and long term employement. Great work schedule. Because of these advantages the rate of pay is the lowest in the area for local long term loyal employees!
Pros
Free lunches, benefits, safety points program, gauranteed work
Cons
Low rates, low worker moral
Poor Place to Be
Construction Administrator (Current Employee) –  Hardisty, AB9 October 2014
I do love the type of job I did for URS but when you prepare payroll and every Friday staff do NOT get paid because the person who is the JCA that enters it into JC Edwards that cuts the cheques misses pages of people and has no clue where the information you sent them went it is very frustrating. I proved the proper information was sent every week, and reported the issue to both HR and my supervisor and still nothing done about it, I ended up quitting because I could not deal with staff members constantly coming in with pay issues that should not of been occurring.
Pros
loved the work, loved the fast paced environment, loved the long shifts
Cons
poor procedures and policies, poor management from head office, too many people transmitting the same information
Okay place to work, terrible management
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Conklin, AB14 January 2013
Was at MEG Energy Christina lake site, travel was about the only benefit of working there, management was terrible, no communication and very poor planning, spent most of the shift doing nothing but sitting around, might of worked 40 - 60 hours in two weeks. I prefer to be kept busy but thats just me. crews were pretty good, except for the local labour i think they hired at fort mac 7/11 as some of the guys have never seen a shovel in there lives. foreman were good, 2.25 for night shift bonus which was ok, top Operator rate was 42.74 including night shift premium, if you get into Poplar ridge camp on site you will be lucky as it is a awesome camp with great food and rooms
Pros
travel covered, stress free
Cons
poor management, boring, no real respect for employees
Poorly managed, disappointing company
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB10 November 2013
Great co-workers but poor support from the company.
Company refuses to properly repair trucks, you are often
asked to run poor condition equipment because they are too cheap
to fix them. Only until a unit is un-able to pass a pre-trip/post-trip inspection will the truck get fixed.

Company is taking away all the bonus incentives, when it still existed they would take FOREVER to pay out the amount promised to you.
Management will quickly blame employees for errors and mistakes but do little to nothing to help workers.

What is said by management in a monthly meeting with it's employees is all for show and just to make people feel better. No promises are kept, managers are hypocrites.

Wages are just OK compared to what other companies pay for the same work.

If for some reason you upset a manager you will be "sat" and not given a shift as some dictator-like form of punishment.
Pros
Quick to hire
Cons
Terribly run managment
worst company ever
electrical apprentice (Former Employee) –  stat oil13 March 2014
Terrible company! No job security for good workers only for people who suck up. Have to be friends with the GF to be liked or to keep your job. Worst job and company ever very disappointed!
Pros
few good coworkers
Cons
management, everything about the company
URS
Service Writer / Maintenance Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray20 October 2014
payroll, work orders, purchase orders, scheduling fleet units for services and general maintenance, JDE system, vendors, cost summary report, fluid haul.
Managment: could use some work, either too laid back and didn't listen to complaints or fallow core values, or were overly angery and has bullying issues
Co-workes were easy to work with and positive people.
hardest part of the job was sitting for 9 hours straight.
the most enjoyable part of my day was working with my coworkes and all my data input
Pros
laid back environment, great co-workers, steady fast paced, metting all the new people, good benifits
Cons
lack or training for all positions.
excellent company to work for
steamfitter/pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 February 2015
Excellent company to work for, management is well organized, co-workers are great mentors, great salary and benefits
Pros
salary
Cons
cold weather
Overall positive experience.
Labour II (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 January 2014
Working for URS Flint was overall an enjoyable experience. The company treated me well during my short time with them. I was hoping to work with them for a longer period of time but because of work shortage there were large layoffs. My foreman was very understanding and great to work for. The hardest part of my job was to keep busy considering the lack of work at the time. The most enjoyable part of the job was gaining the experience in such a large plant setting, Surmont 2 was the largest plant I had ever been on and gaining general knowledge of how it operated and how it was being built was enjoyable.
Pros
Good people, good foreman, good wage
Cons
lack of job security