Urs Flint Employee Reviews

lots of work and OT.
Scaffolder. (Former Employee) –  Alberta16 March 2016
get up with all your co-workers get to the job start your day. work 12 hours go back to camp eat dinner shower up. then do your own thing for the rest of the day.
Pros
free food and housing.
Cons
lots of OT
Horrible, disorganized company, 0 security, horrible pay
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Calgary10 March 2014
The majority of management and VPs within the company don't even have University education, much less a trades ticket.

URS is known to pay ~15% less than the rest of industry.

Non-uniformity across all jobsites/divisions. What may go with one, i.e pay/rules/etc. will not go with others.

0 job security and no guarantee you'll go to another job, there's a huge disconnect

The way they fire people is absolutely absurd, calling them into a board room in front of their team, firing them, and dividing their team in front of them.

Management is useless and prefer to hide behind reports they demand to make their jobs seem relevant.

Bust your behind for this company and don't get recognized. Hiding safety and environmental incidents....

Garbage company
Pros
Big company, easy to hide in the shade
Cons
No work/life balance, terrible management, very bad pay
Generally my choice place of employement
Quality Control (Current Employee) –  Cold Lake29 October 2013
great opportunities for advancement and long term employement. Great work schedule. Because of these advantages the rate of pay is the lowest in the area for local long term loyal employees!
Pros
Free lunches, benefits, safety points program, gauranteed work
Cons
Low rates, low worker moral
I would go back
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Joffre, AB10 June 2014
Didn't mind working for them at all. A little clicky but otherwise enjoyed my time. Good pay and benefits, and worked with some great people.
Pros
pay, benefits, good shift, great crew
Cons
insecure management, not much chance of advancement
Productive and worth the experience
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Alberta10 March 2016
Even though I've only worked there for 2 months it's worth the experience because I had the chance to meet other talented people who has driven passion in working. Also had the chance to work with a great supervisor.
excellent company to work for
steamfitter/pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 February 2015
Excellent company to work for, management is well organized, co-workers are great mentors, great salary and benefits
Pros
salary
Cons
cold weather
One of the worst companies I have ever worked for
Senior Administrator/EA (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2013
There is no such thing as work/life balance here. A typical workday always included overtime (which was banked and never paid out) and working through your lunch break. The expectation was unrealistic. You never felt like you had sufficient time to finish projects before more projects were piled on you.
Management didn't care how many hours you worked or how hard you worked or how much stress you were under, they just wanted you get the job done. There was absolutely no on the job training provided, you were just expected to figure it out as you went along. The co-workers were awesome, but don't get attached because there were firings and layoffs weekly. The most enjoyable part of the job were the great people that worked there.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
long hours, low pay, no thank you for your hard work only criticism if you made a mistake
Good
Estimator (Former Employee) –  Sherwood park22 March 2014
Good overall life balance
Salary not competitive enough.
good coworkers
Pros
timing and hours of work
Cons
salary
Professional
QC Welding Inspector (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 January 2016
Good place to work , good people .
Good pay , I would go the work here again should they need a inspector. Great place to work
working with tight deadlines
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB23 December 2015
Remote work location fly in and out of near Anzac, Alberta. Learned various procures and safe work practices while working here. Want to expand on my skills learning new things everyday that will help build a solid setup inside my head about life.
Pros
Free accommodation, free food
Cons
Long 21 day shifts
Terrible Work inviroment, Lies, Lies, and more Lies
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Conklin16 December 2012
Safety is just a word, management treats everyone like dirt. Even each other. They must think there is an endless amount of competent Tradesmen out there looking for work. They hire them, jerk them around, they quit or get fired for no reason. I worked one month for them and that was more then enough. They will realize one day soon that their company is nothing without competent tradesmen. The word is spreading fast about this companies disrespect towards it workers. In 2013 and the coming years their is going to be a huge shortage of tradesmen in the oil sands.The way URS Flint is going through them now there won't be anyone left in 6 months that hasn't heard about staying away from this company.
Pros
they won't be around much longer
Cons
everything
Worst safety culture in the industry
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray25 August 2013
They talk a good game when it comes to safety, in reality safety is an afterthought. Bring up a safety concern and you will be fired or layed off as soon as they can. Report an incident, fired. Get an injury and go to first aid, fired.

They cover up incidents with their clients, hire inexperienced and incompetent safety people who the management bully and ignore, then place the blame on when something happens. They don't care about their people. Period. Look at the reviews below. Admin and office people love the place. Anyone who works on the tools and puts their lives at risk, not so much.
Pros
Great place to work if you want to get hurt
Cons
Horrible place to work if you value your health and safety
The worst job postings
Pf (Former Employee) –  Ab10 January 2014
Do a little more than copy and paste, what is the shift, salary , travel allowance.
Great co - workers - Terrible management
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray19 March 2014
6 months of work at URS-Flint , management was brutal, did not receive a pay stub for 3 months, (paid weekly) paycheques were always on time tho. I have $2000 of my own money in RRSP thru paycheque deduction, I have not been able to track where this money actually is and noone seems to know or want to help me. Flint had a great name years ago until URS bought them out, went downhill, American company now. They hire anyone, because no one wants to work for them. General contractor kicked URS off site and brought in another contractor.

Good luck!
Pros
I liked the people I worked with
Cons
Management, your just "a number", zero job security, bad vibes all around
Was not inpressed, mangers could care less.(your replaceable). If you have any personal issue to deal with,they could care less.
Oporator (Former Employee) –  Lampman SK4 November 2015
Not a good place to work. Your a number (a replaceable one). Safety is a joke. They'll say one thing in orientation, but in the feild another. I was ask to work a lone many times in a dangerous environment bye my manager and break enivomental laws. Would not recommend this employer.
Pros
Cons
too many
great people who are ready to work
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  grande prairie20 September 2015
As an apprentice you have to be ready for hard work
alot of physical work, installing lights and long hours
mainly camp work 15/6 or 24/4
this is all depending on location
Pros
good money, great people
Cons
poorly organized
Productive and fun workplace
Safety Administrator/Advisor (Former Employee) –  Anzac, AB30 October 2015
A typical day at work would start with doing our daily toolbox/tailgate meeting and stretch's. Then we would talk about what we would be working on that day so that no one was working on the same thing. I worked great with everyone and that made the day go by fast.
Horrible moral and safety culture
Field safety (Former Employee) –  Ft. Nelson26 October 2012
Very unfriendly atmosphere. Upper management has no respect for field employees. Everything that this company does is to put money in their pocket. They have a sound safety system but the work environment is still get it done. Worker safety is more up to the worker vrs. Supervision. Workers left to fen for themselves rather that having their immediate supervision assisting in a safe productive manner. Any dealing with supervision to worker is done with distain. Very very poor environment to work in. Company supplied transportation is old not maintain and generally begrudging.
I rather doubt that I would expose myself to this type of abuse again. If the were actually one of Alberta's 10 best employers it is beyond me how that was archived judging by the culture of this company. Maybe with the change in ownership their culture might improve. .
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
talk the talk but don't walk the walk
Rewarding, Exciting, Educational
POA / Personal Assistant / Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 July 2014
During the course of the day one can never expect a "normal" day. The environment I work in is ever changing and challenging. I work with a very diverse group of engineers, inspectors and upper management staff.

Knowing how to balance my day and duties is challenging but rewarding. Being a part of such a large project, our client has allowed me to grow and contribute a chapter of their production manual. I have designed, implemented and trained my coworkers to use daily an electronic signature. This signature stamp is used by on our project when uploading into the "SharePoint" (a software program), which is used company wide.

I enjoy the people I work with, and gaining knowledge every day. I have enjoyed working in the construction industry for many years and look forward to expanding my experiences.
Pros
Experiance of working in a very divers enviroment with many cultures from around the world.
Cons
I would not say it is a con however, you must be aware of your suroundings at all times Safety Must Come First!
If you got nowhere else to go .....
Journeyman pipe fitter (Former Employee) –  Alberta20 May 2015
Be sure your recruiter tells you all the details of the job your hired for . They will hold back bits of info just to trap you into showing up .

-Remember , 10 and 4 means 5 and 2 , that's to keep you from making any decent overtime .
-Make sure you have a signed agreement for LOA .
-ALWAYS ask , if your first day is the beginning of s shift , or if you are showing up midshift ,They will never tell you unless you ask , and ask a field manager , NOT a recruiter .

Generally , in the experience of myself and many others , you are a disposable number to this company . Be prepared to be disappointed Which is their whole plan , so they can dip into their bottomless well temporary foreign workers, giving that program a reason to keep existing
Run away !!