Urs Flint Employee Reviews

good job
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB26 October 2016
URS Flint is okay to work for but is lacking in management, all the people or workers are, are a number, the people you work with are awesome, and thats what makes the company, but even guys who stayed there for 5 years straight were the first ones to get let go anyways
Pros
payed good
Cons
poorly managed
Great workplace enviroment with management and coworkers
Technical Assistant/Design Change (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 April 2016
URS was a great company to work for.and people in management made it very easy for me to say this. They were easy to get along with, respectful, hard workers and very helpful in directing you in what had to be done. My coworkers were great and they made the workplace an environment that was very comforting to work in. Everyone would be very helpful when there was a new hire and made them feel at home and that they were important and belonged there.

The company paid for all my flights back and forth to NL after each rotation.which was great because I got to go home. They also gave me a great bonus at the end of the project. I had very nice accommodations while I was working with URS when made it much easier being away from home.
Pros
There were no cons while I worked with URS
Cons
Great workplace enviroment, great pay and bonusl, and also great accomodations
i got the reviews mixed around
Welders Helper/Apprentice Welder (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB23 July 2016
I am not sure if i can change the review but the one I gave for the Labour position was supposed to be this one. Anyway I will work hard for you. Doesn't always have to be perfect.
Cons
Great place to work if you want to travel
Welders Helper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 October 2015
Good company to work for because of pay and benefits.. the ability to travel and work in different environments.. lots of room to advance through the company
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
long hours and can be away from home for long periods
terrible management
2nd year electrical apprentice (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB7 December 2016
when i worked there most employees were treated very poorly. we were also told that since the job market wasn't good that we were repayable and there is some that could take our position at any time.
Poor Workplace Overall
Instrumentation Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB14 April 2014
Above average payment.
Safety was below par, over the time I worked there was an average of an accident every few days and the site was shut down for investigation.
Company culture encouraged lying to safety in the safety tickets.
The Instrumentation shop was run by an apprentice. There was supposedly a Journeyman on site to meet standards but I never met him in my two months of employment. My 'journeyman' was a carpenter and had no formal schooling in instrumentation or any instrumentation accreditation. Tube bending was the only lesson taught.
I was laid off as soon as their other apprentice returned from school and they did not bother to indenture me.
Pros
Well paid, fair benefits package
Cons
long hours, long shifts, poor supervision, terrible safety record
Dynamic, Competent, Enjoyable, Excelleny safety culture
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB9 October 2014
I have worked with several other companies and always am amazed at how much better the overall impression is within the URS Flint family dynamic. I have received excellent tutelage, opportunity and positive input from both my fellow co-workers and my immediate superiors. the work has always been consistent and the benefits proportional to making long term employment favorable over chasing companies and jobs specific to varying sites. I've enjoyed a safe productive and positive tenure with URS Flint and am now poised to transfer to another site within the organization. Just another example of how I feel the management and Human resources team look out for my interests.
Pros
Safety, Reliability, Benefits
Cons
Travel
Work and safety
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 August 2016
Has extensive experience in the construction of water and wastewater treatment plants extending from new builds to additions involving new equipment and systems in operational facilities.
Disorganized
Pipefitter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 April 2013
This is my first experience with URS Flint, but the impression is not the greatest. There are some good things, but overall, the managerial skills are severely lacking, and this makes everything seem much worse.
In a typical day, workers meet for the morning tailgate, there is a safety moment, and we go over the tasks for the day. Then we meet with our foremen and discuss individual tasks. We write up THA (Task Hazard Assessments) and proceed with gathering our tools and getting to our job sites. We work for 10 hour shifts.
The hardest part of the day would probably be getting through the length of the day and the physicality of the work.
The most enjoyable part is learning new things about pipefitting.
I have learned a great deal about safety procedures, including tool use, and assessing and eliminating hazards.
Pros
easy for new workers to get into a pipefitting trade
Cons
low salary, poor management, slow learning curve
Long term loyal employee
Employee (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake Alberta28 January 2015
Over the years working for flint had its ups and its downs, I mostly remain indifferent. Although I do not always agree with the choices made and the actions taken, I am not trying to run a gigantic company with many parts.

Mostly my biggest concern throughout my time with Flint was that for some reason instead of working together to achieve one common goal, most are working to achieve their goal, whether it is at the expense of the final product or not.

Flint has proven to be a great training facility they do pay for all you're training as well as your time. This of course is provided that the training is related and benefits the company as a whole.
URS
Service Writer / Maintenance Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray20 October 2014
payroll, work orders, purchase orders, scheduling fleet units for services and general maintenance, JDE system, vendors, cost summary report, fluid haul.
Managment: could use some work, either too laid back and didn't listen to complaints or fallow core values, or were overly angery and has bullying issues
Co-workes were easy to work with and positive people.
hardest part of the job was sitting for 9 hours straight.
the most enjoyable part of my day was working with my coworkes and all my data input
Pros
laid back environment, great co-workers, steady fast paced, metting all the new people, good benifits
Cons
lack or training for all positions.
great place
Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  ft.mcmurray11 April 2016
I am a self-motivated and well organized individual, with strong communication skills and towering beliefs in teamwork.My ambitions and expectations of personal performance are of the highest standards. I consistently devote myself to creating a comfortable atmosphere for my fellow colleagues. I feel I can offer energy, enthusiasm, character and creativity to your organization.
it was a great place to work ,I leaned alot about the oilfeild
Construction Labourer (Former Employee) –  Rainbow Lake, AB11 February 2016
I learned a lot about the work that is involved in supplying oil and gas to the world , I learned how to assess risk and deal with potential hazardous events .I learned how to work in teams and work hard to finish a task .
Pros
living allowance
Cons
being away from home
Busy Pipeline
Labourer/ Welding Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB2 June 2016
It was a great experience as my first oilfield job. They are willing to train and try to get people to advance within the company
Average working environment plagued by low morale.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB14 October 2012
Nothing stands out as a first choice for employment. Field wages are only average. No additional compensation, no incentives, no subsistence, no boot allowance. Field work is spotty. Too much paperwork expected. Low worker morale. Old equipment, crude and corroded in appearance.
Pros
friendly management and staff.
Cons
average pay, no advancement opportunities for basic educated field employees.
great camp and very generous rewards for safety records
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Anzac, AB17 March 2014
Urs Flint was my first experience in the oil sands .My experience was a positive experience .Scary at first but with time it became better . The camp was excellent . I got along with co-workers quite well , A typical day would be outside in the laydown taking instruction from my foreman .This could be anything from locating material to helping load or unload trailers to snow blowing from material . The only hardest part of the job was the - 40 weather and that wasn't that bad because we were told to warm up when ever we felt too cold .The most enjoyable part of the job was when we were so busy but worked as a team and got everything to site that was needed and the foreman would say good job guys we had a good day . I learned that the oil sands and URS work very well together , safety is first , environment , site cleanliness all are of top priority so this gave me an appreciation . They took me in, gave a job and paid me well with benefits . I was laid off in January from shortage of work but hope to be back in the near future to another URS site .
Pros
Great Camp
Cons
- 40 Brrrrrrrrrrr !
Great Job
Apprentice Welder (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB16 December 2015
Had a great time working for URS Flint wish they had more work on the go.
A lot of long days and long nights but the pay was worth it
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Fun, new people to work with.
Apprenticing Pipe Fitter (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake29 April 2014
Be at work for 7, have a safety meeting. Then put our lunches away and go grab our tools. Have breaks at 10 and 3 leave site at 5. Great benefits got too take time off for holidays or if i needed a day off in the week they were very willing. Management was great and easy too get along with. Hardest part was working in some very annoying weather somedays but thats part of the job. Learning new things was the best part of it.
great people to work for
operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 March 2016
a typical day at flint for me was heading to carseland refinery gas plant every morning to start putting diesel and gas filters in place. i was the operator so i had to make sure every critical was properly secured before lifting into position.

making sure i was always fully focused on task in hand the material was very expensive and hard to get over night as we had deadlines to meet.
Pipeline Laborer
Pipeline Labourer (Pre-heater) (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB6 May 2016
Performed preheating duties. Preheated pipe on the line which was to be welded. Also aided in stringing pipe into place along the pipeline.