Urs Flint Employee Reviews

Great workplace enviroment with management and coworkers
Technical Assistant/Design Change (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 26, 2016
URS was a great company to work for.and people in management made it very easy for me to say this. They were easy to get along with, respectful, hard workers and very helpful in directing you in what had to be done. My coworkers were great and they made the workplace an environment that was very comforting to work in. Everyone would be very helpful when there was a new hire and made them feel at home and that they were important and belonged there.

The company paid for all my flights back and forth to NL after each rotation.which was great because I got to go home. They also gave me a great bonus at the end of the project. I had very nice accommodations while I was working with URS when made it much easier being away from home.
Pros
There were no cons while I worked with URS
Cons
Great workplace enviroment, great pay and bonusl, and also great accomodations
it was a great place to work ,I leaned alot about the oilfeild
Construction Labourer (Former Employee) –  Rainbow Lake, ABFebruary 11, 2016
I learned a lot about the work that is involved in supplying oil and gas to the world , I learned how to assess risk and deal with potential hazardous events .I learned how to work in teams and work hard to finish a task .
Pros
living allowance
Cons
being away from home
i got the reviews mixed around
Welders Helper/Apprentice Welder (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABJuly 23, 2016
I am not sure if i can change the review but the one I gave for the Labour position was supposed to be this one. Anyway I will work hard for you. Doesn't always have to be perfect.
Cons
Great place to work if you want to travel
Welders Helper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 9, 2015
Good company to work for because of pay and benefits.. the ability to travel and work in different environments.. lots of room to advance through the company
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
long hours and can be away from home for long periods
Work and safety
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 3, 2016
Has extensive experience in the construction of water and wastewater treatment plants extending from new builds to additions involving new equipment and systems in operational facilities.
great place
Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  ft.mcmurrayApril 11, 2016
I am a self-motivated and well organized individual, with strong communication skills and towering beliefs in teamwork.My ambitions and expectations of personal performance are of the highest standards. I consistently devote myself to creating a comfortable atmosphere for my fellow colleagues. I feel I can offer energy, enthusiasm, character and creativity to your organization.
great people to work for
operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 4, 2016
a typical day at flint for me was heading to carseland refinery gas plant every morning to start putting diesel and gas filters in place. i was the operator so i had to make sure every critical was properly secured before lifting into position.

making sure i was always fully focused on task in hand the material was very expensive and hard to get over night as we had deadlines to meet.
productiv
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMarch 23, 2016
foreman was energetic and informed people as to what was to be done and how he wanted it to happen. when the job started the plan was made and we stuck to his plan and it worked out very well I was and am willing to work for this foreman again if the opportunity arose.
Pros
team spirit
Cons
not enough time with this company
Busy Pipeline
Labourer/ Welding Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABJune 2, 2016
It was a great experience as my first oilfield job. They are willing to train and try to get people to advance within the company
Poor Workplace Overall
Instrumentation Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, ABApril 14, 2014
Above average payment.
Safety was below par, over the time I worked there was an average of an accident every few days and the site was shut down for investigation.
Company culture encouraged lying to safety in the safety tickets.
The Instrumentation shop was run by an apprentice. There was supposedly a Journeyman on site to meet standards but I never met him in my two months of employment. My 'journeyman' was a carpenter and had no formal schooling in instrumentation or any instrumentation accreditation. Tube bending was the only lesson taught.
I was laid off as soon as their other apprentice returned from school and they did not bother to indenture me.
Pros
well paid, fair benefits package
Cons
long hours, long shifts, poor supervision, terrible safety record
Horrible, disorganized company, 0 security, horrible pay
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  CalgaryMarch 10, 2014
The majority of management and VPs within the company don't even have University education, much less a trades ticket.

URS is known to pay ~15% less than the rest of industry.

Non-uniformity across all jobsites/divisions. What may go with one, i.e pay/rules/etc. will not go with others.

0 job security and no guarantee you'll go to another job, there's a huge disconnect

The way they fire people is absolutely absurd, calling them into a board room in front of their team, firing them, and dividing their team in front of them.

Management is useless and prefer to hide behind reports they demand to make their jobs seem relevant.

Bust your behind for this company and don't get recognized. Hiding safety and environmental incidents....

Garbage company
Pros
big company, easy to hide in the shade
Cons
no work/life balance, terrible management, very bad pay
Great Job
Apprentice Welder (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABDecember 16, 2015
Had a great time working for URS Flint wish they had more work on the go.
A lot of long days and long nights but the pay was worth it
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Very fun loving and productive environment due to our Manager
Construction Coordinator (Project Engineer) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 18, 2016
It was wonderful working with the individual care so much about his employees. It was pleasure working with the organisation.
Pipeline Laborer
Pipeline Labourer (Pre-heater) (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, ABMay 6, 2016
Performed preheating duties. Preheated pipe on the line which was to be welded. Also aided in stringing pipe into place along the pipeline.
lots of work and OT.
Scaffolder. (Former Employee) –  AlbertaMarch 16, 2016
get up with all your co-workers get to the job start your day. work 12 hours go back to camp eat dinner shower up. then do your own thing for the rest of the day.
Pros
free food and housing.
Cons
lots of OT
Productive and worth the experience
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  AlbertaMarch 10, 2016
Even though I've only worked there for 2 months it's worth the experience because I had the chance to meet other talented people who has driven passion in working. Also had the chance to work with a great supervisor.
Dynamic, Competent, Enjoyable, Excelleny safety culture
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABOctober 9, 2014
I have worked with several other companies and always am amazed at how much better the overall impression is within the URS Flint family dynamic. I have received excellent tutelage, opportunity and positive input from both my fellow co-workers and my immediate superiors. the work has always been consistent and the benefits proportional to making long term employment favorable over chasing companies and jobs specific to varying sites. I've enjoyed a safe productive and positive tenure with URS Flint and am now poised to transfer to another site within the organization. Just another example of how I feel the management and Human resources team look out for my interests.
Pros
safety, reliability, benefits
Cons
travel
Average working environment plagued by low morale.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABOctober 14, 2012
Nothing stands out as a first choice for employment. Field wages are only average. No additional compensation, no incentives, no subsistence, no boot allowance. Field work is spotty. Too much paperwork expected. Low worker morale. Old equipment, crude and corroded in appearance.
Pros
friendly management and staff.
Cons
average pay, no advancement opportunities for basic educated field employees.
One of the worst companies I have ever worked for
Senior Administrator/EA (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 15, 2013
There is no such thing as work/life balance here. A typical workday always included overtime (which was banked and never paid out) and working through your lunch break. The expectation was unrealistic. You never felt like you had sufficient time to finish projects before more projects were piled on you.
Management didn't care how many hours you worked or how hard you worked or how much stress you were under, they just wanted you get the job done. There was absolutely no on the job training provided, you were just expected to figure it out as you went along. The co-workers were awesome, but don't get attached because there were firings and layoffs weekly. The most enjoyable part of the job were the great people that worked there.
Pros
free parking
Cons
long hours, low pay, no thank you for your hard work only criticism if you made a mistake
Terrible Work inviroment, Lies, Lies, and more Lies
Electrician (Former Employee) –  ConklinDecember 16, 2012
Safety is just a word, management treats everyone like dirt. Even each other. They must think there is an endless amount of competent Tradesmen out there looking for work. They hire them, jerk them around, they quit or get fired for no reason. I worked one month for them and that was more then enough. They will realize one day soon that their company is nothing without competent tradesmen. The word is spreading fast about this companies disrespect towards it workers. In 2013 and the coming years their is going to be a huge shortage of tradesmen in the oil sands.The way URS Flint is going through them now there won't be anyone left in 6 months that hasn't heard about staying away from this company.
Pros
they won't be around much longer
Cons
everything