Urs Flint

Urs Flint Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Poor work environment
Journeymen (Former Employee), Conklin ABDecember 16, 2012
Pros: 11 hr days (meg) onsite training for safety tickets
Cons: disorganized and passive aggressive management culture, lost work to ledcor
Went too their MEG 2 project in Conklin in September 2012 with promises of over a year of work and the best camp in Alberta with flights but the five star camp is full of office staff  who get priority. also met a few well connected green hats who had no experience and started later, but were sent to the nice camp right away while we (experienced JM) were put up in a hole called MEG 2 camp,  and the flights , well only office staff got flights and the rest took the bus, and they were once again laying off by Dec. They lied through thier teeth to keep guys from leaving just to lay them off middle of dec 2012, with little hope of finding a job until well after the holidays.

The site was severely disorganized, all too often  one or two crews would be halted by another crew due too poor planning. This contributed too the very low moral. Many of the foremen, GFs and up had jobs based on thier relationships even if they were greatly lacking experience . It was very obvious to everyone the management team was of very poor caliber and instead of accepting responsibility  the blame was passed down the line in the morning meetings
We called the weekly safety meeting demoralizing meetings as it sucked the little energy out of the craftsmen.
 I do not expect to be treated like a king, and I can take a good deal of BS from an employer, but they had very little respect for good craft workers, therefor I want to help others avoid wasting thier time with the incompetent project management team employed by flint, hopefully URS cleans up flint a bit and employes a much more positive management – more... team in the future. It sounds  like the surmount job is even worse, yikes! – less
yaaaaaaa noooooo
pipefitter (Former Employee), Edmonton AlbertaJanuary 16, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: more important to make money then safety is
this is easily the crappyest company around I work for them this summer for 1 month in a mod yard in Edmonton just off clover bar road and it was the most disorganized site I've ever seen in my life not to mention all the foreign workers so many people out here can't find work or having trouble getting apprenticeships and they're hiring 1000 thousands of people from other countries I think it's completely disrespectful completely stupid its not always easy to become apprentice sometimes it is sometimes it isn't it depends on the company !all the foreign workers could barely speak a lick of English they wouldn't even put up tape during crane lifts with red ribbon tape it was just the danger zone so many little things happen that I could see someone getting severely injured on that site 1 of my friends work there and he was there for just over a month as well as a lectrician if he left it after a month too! should be mandatory did they put all foreign workers through an English course I even told the safety that it's kinda hard to say you're all about safety when the workers around you can't even understand each other and they start talking in amongst our language when we're doing a crane lift and I'm on the tagline I have no idea what they're saying It really madee me mad
Productive and fun
Technical Assistant (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABDecember 4, 2014
My day to day activities while working at URS Flint consisted of daily/ weekly reports. We would have our morning safety meetings, and then work hard at building/ editing our hydro packages, making sure that everything was correct for our hydro team to complete a successful hydro test, and continue on in a safe manor for operation. Data entry was also a large part. Our database needed to maintained consistently, in order for all departments to know exactly what was going on at any given time. The more difficult part I found when we were turnover the documentation to the client, sometimes, certain documents would not be completed or not found. In these cases, we would need to go back, get all the required information completed and passed over to the client. Any challenges we had, we met and pushed through to excel. I enjoyed any challenge that popped up, and I enjoy to be challenged. I love to learn new things, and push through any issue that arise. I was sad to leave, but the project was completed. I met so many new people and new friends, and learned so much at my time spent with URS. We were all a family away from home.
the only good thing about it was the fact that they had free freezies
DSP Fitter (Former Employee), Keyera Fort SaskJuly 14, 2014
Pros: freezies and loa
Cons: having to be there
Keyera site project manager was a complete lunatic, running around yelling at people to get out in the field and then when you see him on site he walks into your area without having any idea what your plan is and starts sticking his nose in where it doesnt belong...I have heard stories of the same clown has been seen spying on workers from elevated locations with binoculars... The bussing was nice for some and more of a pain in the rear for the majority. 13.5 hour day just freom when i got on the bus to getting off and i was paid for 11. DSP pay was the lowest i have personally seen as far back as i can remember. 53/hour straight time.
Its not right to be herding people around like cattle at break times and closing up smoking areas with a lock and chain?
Not something i would ever be a part of...
Rewarding, Exciting, Educational
POA / Personal Assistant / Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 23, 2014
Pros: experiance of working in a very divers enviroment with many cultures from around the world.
Cons: i would not say it is a con however, you must be aware of your suroundings at all times safety must come first!
During the course of the day one can never expect a "normal" day. The environment I work in is ever changing and challenging. I work with a very diverse group of engineers, inspectors and upper management staff.

Knowing how to balance my day and duties is challenging but rewarding. Being a part of such a large project, our client has allowed me to grow and contribute a chapter of their production manual. I have designed, implemented and trained my coworkers to use daily an electronic signature. This signature stamp is used by on our project when uploading into the "SharePoint" (a software program), which is used company wide.

I enjoy the people I work with, and gaining knowledge every day. I have enjoyed working in the construction industry for many years and look forward to expanding my experiences.
great camp and very generous rewards for safety records
Material Handler (Former Employee), Anzac, ABMarch 17, 2014
Pros: great camp
Cons: - 40 brrrrrrrrrrr !
Urs Flint was my first experience in the oil sands .My experience was a positive experience .Scary at first but with time it became better . The camp was excellent . I got along with co-workers quite well , A typical day would be outside in the laydown taking instruction from my foreman .This could be anything from locating material to helping load or unload trailers to snow blowing from material . The only hardest part of the job was the - 40 weather and that wasn't that bad because we were told to warm up when ever we felt too cold .The most enjoyable part of the job was when we were so busy but worked as a team and got everything to site that was needed and the foreman would say good job guys we had a good day . I learned that the oil sands and URS work very well together , safety is first , environment , site cleanliness all are of top priority so this gave me an appreciation . They took me in, gave a job and paid me well with benefits . I was laid off in January from shortage of work but hope to be back in the near future to another URS site .
Great place...if you are a coward or "yes-man"
I-M (Former Employee), Conklin, ABNovember 20, 2013
Pros: a few decent employees
Cons: lies, cheap, power hungry
If you Kiss butt, you will stay and go far in this company. But if you have an opinion and a voice, then you might not want to waste your time. I was at MEG with URS Flint and "let-go" for no factual reason. Excuses were made and lies were spoken. I know the main realistic reason was because I spoke my mind. If there was an issue, I brought it up. Mr KC and Mr. JH did not scare me like they did most of the other employees!!
My biggest issue with URS Flint is in fact HOW I was let-go. A fly in/fly out job (I am from the east coast), yet i was sent to Edmonton by Greyhound and left stranded to fend for myself. A single mother with no money, no one in Edmonton that I knew, in the middle of the night (too late to catch any flights).
My advice to you if you end up working for this company, keep your mouth shut and have enough money saved up to get you home!
Poorly managed, disappointing company
Driver/Operator (Current Employee), Drayton Valley, ABNovember 10, 2013
Pros: quick to hire
Cons: terribly run managment
Great co-workers but poor support from the company.
Company refuses to properly repair trucks, you are often
asked to run poor condition equipment because they are too cheap
to fix them. Only until a unit is un-able to pass a pre-trip/post-trip inspection will the truck get fixed.

Company is taking away all the bonus incentives, when it still existed they would take FOREVER to pay out the amount promised to you.
Management will quickly blame employees for errors and mistakes but do little to nothing to help workers.

What is said by management in a monthly meeting with it's employees is all for show and just to make people feel better. No promises are kept, managers are hypocrites.

Wages are just OK compared to what other companies pay for the same work.

If for some reason you upset a manager you will be "sat" and not given a shift as some dictator-like form of punishment.
Okay place to work, terrible management
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Conklin, ABJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: travel covered, stress free
Cons: poor management, boring, no real respect for employees
Was at MEG Energy Christina lake site, travel was about the only benefit of working there, management was terrible, no communication and very poor planning, spent most of the shift doing nothing but sitting around, might of worked 40 - 60 hours in two weeks. I prefer to be kept busy but thats just me. crews were pretty good, except for the local labour i think they hired at fort mac 7/11 as some of the guys have never seen a shovel in there lives. foreman were good, 2.25 for night shift bonus which was ok, top Operator rate was 42.74 including night shift premium, if you get into Poplar ridge camp on site you will be lucky as it is a awesome camp with great food and rooms

June 11, 2013

I currently work for Flint at MEG Christina Lake and agree that communication / planning is very poor. I have found this to be the case with Flint the previous two time I have worked for them. Flint was bought by URS last year and I have been told that URS has been observing management, operations and that "restructuring" of management from top to bottom will begin in the next 8 to 12 months.

One of the worst companies I have ever worked for
Senior Administrator/EA (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 15, 2013
Pros: free parking
Cons: long hours, low pay, no thank you for your hard work only criticism if you made a mistake
There is no such thing as work/life balance here. A typical workday always included overtime (which was banked and never paid out) and working through your lunch break. The expectation was unrealistic. You never felt like you had sufficient time to finish projects before more projects were piled on you.
Management didn't care how many hours you worked or how hard you worked or how much stress you were under, they just wanted you get the job done. There was absolutely no on the job training provided, you were just expected to figure it out as you went along. The co-workers were awesome, but don't get attached because there were firings and layoffs weekly. The most enjoyable part of the job were the great people that worked there.
Disorganized
Pipefitter Apprentice (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 11, 2013
Pros: easy for new workers to get into a pipefitting trade
Cons: low salary, poor management, slow learning curve
This is my first experience with URS Flint, but the impression is not the greatest. There are some good things, but overall, the managerial skills are severely lacking, and this makes everything seem much worse.
In a typical day, workers meet for the morning tailgate, there is a safety moment, and we go over the tasks for the day. Then we meet with our foremen and discuss individual tasks. We write up THA (Task Hazard Assessments) and proceed with gathering our tools and getting to our job sites. We work for 10 hour shifts.
The hardest part of the day would probably be getting through the length of the day and the physicality of the work.
The most enjoyable part is learning new things about pipefitting.
I have learned a great deal about safety procedures, including tool use, and assessing and eliminating hazards.
Horrible, disorganized company, 0 security, horrible pay
Management Trainee (Former Employee), CalgaryMarch 10, 2014
Pros: big company, easy to hide in the shade
Cons: no work/life balance, terrible management, very bad pay
The majority of management and VPs within the company don't even have University education, much less a trades ticket.

URS is known to pay ~15% less than the rest of industry.

Non-uniformity across all jobsites/divisions. What may go with one, i.e pay/rules/etc. will not go with others.

0 job security and no guarantee you'll go to another job, there's a huge disconnect

The way they fire people is absolutely absurd, calling them into a board room in front of their team, firing them, and dividing their team in front of them.

Management is useless and prefer to hide behind reports they demand to make their jobs seem relevant.

Bust your behind for this company and don't get recognized. Hiding safety and environmental incidents....

Garbage company
Horrible moral and safety culture
Field safety (Former Employee), Ft. NelsonOctober 26, 2012
Pros: lots of hours
Cons: talk the talk but don't walk the walk
Very unfriendly atmosphere. Upper management has no respect for field employees. Everything that this company does is to put money in their pocket. They have a sound safety system but the work environment is still get it done. Worker safety is more up to the worker vrs. Supervision. Workers left to fen for themselves rather that having their immediate supervision assisting in a safe productive manner. Any dealing with supervision to worker is done with distain. Very very poor environment to work in. Company supplied transportation is old not maintain and generally begrudging.
I rather doubt that I would expose myself to this type of abuse again. If the were actually one of Alberta's 10 best employers it is beyond me how that was archived judging by the culture of this company. Maybe with the change in ownership their culture might improve. .

November 10, 2012

The people running the Surmont Flint job don't have clue how to get people to work together, they are only concerned with their own deal and how to further their mediocr career. They lie to get people on the job and then fall short with the real situation. No Benifits for welders , low wage for helpers. It's a poorly run show!

Great co - workers - Terrible management
Electrician (Former Employee), Fort McMurrayMarch 19, 2014
Pros: i liked the people i worked with
Cons: management, your just "a number", zero job security, bad vibes all around
6 months of work at URS-Flint , management was brutal, did not receive a pay stub for 3 months, (paid weekly) paycheques were always on time tho. I have $2000 of my own money in RRSP thru paycheque deduction, I have not been able to track where this money actually is and noone seems to know or want to help me. Flint had a great name years ago until URS bought them out, went downhill, American company now. They hire anyone, because no one wants to work for them. General contractor kicked URS off site and brought in another contractor.

Good luck!
If you got nowhere else to go .....
Journeyman pipe fitter (Former Employee), AlbertaMay 20, 2015
Be sure your recruiter tells you all the details of the job your hired for . They will hold back bits of info just to trap you into showing up .

-Remember , 10 and 4 means 5 and 2 , that's to keep you from making any decent overtime .
-Make sure you have a signed agreement for LOA .
-ALWAYS ask , if your first day is the beginning of s shift , or if you are showing up midshift ,They will never tell you unless you ask , and ask a field manager , NOT a recruiter .

Generally , in the experience of myself and many others , you are a disposable number to this company . Be prepared to be disappointed Which is their whole plan , so they can dip into their bottomless well temporary foreign workers, giving that program a reason to keep existing
Run away !!
Poor Place to Be
Construction Administrator (Current Employee), Hardisty, ABOctober 9, 2014
Pros: loved the work, loved the fast paced environment, loved the long shifts
Cons: poor procedures and policies, poor management from head office, too many people transmitting the same information
I do love the type of job I did for URS but when you prepare payroll and every Friday staff do NOT get paid because the person who is the JCA that enters it into JC Edwards that cuts the cheques misses pages of people and has no clue where the information you sent them went it is very frustrating. I proved the proper information was sent every week, and reported the issue to both HR and my supervisor and still nothing done about it, I ended up quitting because I could not deal with staff members constantly coming in with pay issues that should not of been occurring.
Terrible Work inviroment, Lies, Lies, and more Lies
Electrician (Former Employee), ConklinDecember 16, 2012
Pros: they won't be around much longer
Cons: everything
Safety is just a word, management treats everyone like dirt. Even each other. They must think there is an endless amount of competent Tradesmen out there looking for work. They hire them, jerk them around, they quit or get fired for no reason. I worked one month for them and that was more then enough. They will realize one day soon that their company is nothing without competent tradesmen. The word is spreading fast about this companies disrespect towards it workers. In 2013 and the coming years their is going to be a huge shortage of tradesmen in the oil sands.The way URS Flint is going through them now there won't be anyone left in 6 months that hasn't heard about staying away from this company.
Professional place to work but lack of focus
Strategic Account Manager (Major Projects) (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 28, 2015
A typical day involved conducting activities to help grow the brand and improve relationships with key clients. These activities included phone calls, emails, setting up and hosting internal and external meetings, developing marketing materials, and being part of internal review committee meetings.

While employed at AECOM/URS Flint, I learned about many different aspects of the Oil and Gas business and how to conduct myself in a professional manner.

This company is the product of many mergers and acquisitions over the years and, as a result, sometimes felt that they lacked a sense of identity and direction. The leadership seemed to struggle to define this for the organization and how to differentiate ourselves from the competition.
Poor Workplace Overall
Instrumentation Apprentice (Former Employee), Bonnyville, ABApril 14, 2014
Pros: well paid, fair benefits package
Cons: long hours, long shifts, poor supervision, terrible safety record
Above average payment.
Safety was below par, over the time I worked there was an average of an accident every few days and the site was shut down for investigation.
Company culture encouraged lying to safety in the safety tickets.
The Instrumentation shop was run by an apprentice. There was supposedly a Journeyman on site to meet standards but I never met him in my two months of employment. My 'journeyman' was a carpenter and had no formal schooling in instrumentation or any instrumentation accreditation. Tube bending was the only lesson taught.
I was laid off as soon as their other apprentice returned from school and they did not bother to indenture me.
Dynamic, Competent, Enjoyable, Excelleny safety culture
Lead Hand (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABOctober 9, 2014
Pros: safety, reliability, benefits
Cons: travel
I have worked with several other companies and always am amazed at how much better the overall impression is within the URS Flint family dynamic. I have received excellent tutelage, opportunity and positive input from both my fellow co-workers and my immediate superiors. the work has always been consistent and the benefits proportional to making long term employment favorable over chasing companies and jobs specific to varying sites. I've enjoyed a safe productive and positive tenure with URS Flint and am now poised to transfer to another site within the organization. Just another example of how I feel the management and Human resources team look out for my interests.
Headquarters