Urs Flint Employee Reviews

This was a great job and i was able to work independant .
cleaning plant operator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB7 February 2017
This was a great job. I was able to look after a reline tubing plant.
Management worked at training you for different work and was very helpful.
Pros
Able to independently
good job
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB26 October 2016
URS Flint is okay to work for but is lacking in management, all the people or workers are, are a number, the people you work with are awesome, and thats what makes the company, but even guys who stayed there for 5 years straight were the first ones to get let go anyways
Pros
payed good
Cons
poorly managed
Good Job
Apprenticeship Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 January 2017
Enjoyed working there...left there to go with my welder because of my apprenticeship. Company was good to work for and good rotation schedule. The wage and benefit packages were good.
Productive and fast pace environment.
QA QC Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB22 December 2016
This company works almost in a fast pace environment and addresses all the construction issues of the client in timely fashion. Good supportive work environment with long time team members.
terrible management
2nd year electrical apprentice (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB7 December 2016
when i worked there most employees were treated very poorly. we were also told that since the job market wasn't good that we were repayable and there is some that could take our position at any time.
Great workplace enviroment with management and coworkers
Technical Assistant/Design Change (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 April 2016
URS was a great company to work for.and people in management made it very easy for me to say this. They were easy to get along with, respectful, hard workers and very helpful in directing you in what had to be done. My coworkers were great and they made the workplace an environment that was very comforting to work in. Everyone would be very helpful when there was a new hire and made them feel at home and that they were important and belonged there.

The company paid for all my flights back and forth to NL after each rotation.which was great because I got to go home. They also gave me a great bonus at the end of the project. I had very nice accommodations while I was working with URS when made it much easier being away from home.
Pros
There were no cons while I worked with URS
Cons
Great workplace enviroment, great pay and bonusl, and also great accomodations
Poor Workplace Overall
Instrumentation Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB14 April 2014
Above average payment.
Safety was below par, over the time I worked there was an average of an accident every few days and the site was shut down for investigation.
Company culture encouraged lying to safety in the safety tickets.
The Instrumentation shop was run by an apprentice. There was supposedly a Journeyman on site to meet standards but I never met him in my two months of employment. My 'journeyman' was a carpenter and had no formal schooling in instrumentation or any instrumentation accreditation. Tube bending was the only lesson taught.
I was laid off as soon as their other apprentice returned from school and they did not bother to indenture me.
Pros
Well paid, fair benefits package
Cons
long hours, long shifts, poor supervision, terrible safety record
i got the reviews mixed around
Welders Helper/Apprentice Welder (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB23 July 2016
I am not sure if i can change the review but the one I gave for the Labour position was supposed to be this one. Anyway I will work hard for you. Doesn't always have to be perfect.
ok place to work
Instrument Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 January 2017
You have to stay in the loop to keep your job.Some coworkers are nice and some are pathetic.Overall a decent company to work for.
Dynamic, Competent, Enjoyable, Excelleny safety culture
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB9 October 2014
I have worked with several other companies and always am amazed at how much better the overall impression is within the URS Flint family dynamic. I have received excellent tutelage, opportunity and positive input from both my fellow co-workers and my immediate superiors. the work has always been consistent and the benefits proportional to making long term employment favorable over chasing companies and jobs specific to varying sites. I've enjoyed a safe productive and positive tenure with URS Flint and am now poised to transfer to another site within the organization. Just another example of how I feel the management and Human resources team look out for my interests.
Pros
Safety, Reliability, Benefits
Cons
Travel
Disorganized
Pipefitter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 April 2013
This is my first experience with URS Flint, but the impression is not the greatest. There are some good things, but overall, the managerial skills are severely lacking, and this makes everything seem much worse.
In a typical day, workers meet for the morning tailgate, there is a safety moment, and we go over the tasks for the day. Then we meet with our foremen and discuss individual tasks. We write up THA (Task Hazard Assessments) and proceed with gathering our tools and getting to our job sites. We work for 10 hour shifts.
The hardest part of the day would probably be getting through the length of the day and the physicality of the work.
The most enjoyable part is learning new things about pipefitting.
I have learned a great deal about safety procedures, including tool use, and assessing and eliminating hazards.
Pros
easy for new workers to get into a pipefitting trade
Cons
low salary, poor management, slow learning curve
Great place to work if you want to travel
Welders Helper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 October 2015
Good company to work for because of pay and benefits.. the ability to travel and work in different environments.. lots of room to advance through the company
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
long hours and can be away from home for long periods
Long term loyal employee
Employee (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake Alberta28 January 2015
Over the years working for flint had its ups and its downs, I mostly remain indifferent. Although I do not always agree with the choices made and the actions taken, I am not trying to run a gigantic company with many parts.

Mostly my biggest concern throughout my time with Flint was that for some reason instead of working together to achieve one common goal, most are working to achieve their goal, whether it is at the expense of the final product or not.

Flint has proven to be a great training facility they do pay for all you're training as well as your time. This of course is provided that the training is related and benefits the company as a whole.
URS
Service Writer / Maintenance Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray20 October 2014
payroll, work orders, purchase orders, scheduling fleet units for services and general maintenance, JDE system, vendors, cost summary report, fluid haul.
Managment: could use some work, either too laid back and didn't listen to complaints or fallow core values, or were overly angery and has bullying issues
Co-workes were easy to work with and positive people.
hardest part of the job was sitting for 9 hours straight.
the most enjoyable part of my day was working with my coworkes and all my data input
Pros
laid back environment, great co-workers, steady fast paced, metting all the new people, good benifits
Cons
lack or training for all positions.
Average working environment plagued by low morale.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB14 October 2012
Nothing stands out as a first choice for employment. Field wages are only average. No additional compensation, no incentives, no subsistence, no boot allowance. Field work is spotty. Too much paperwork expected. Low worker morale. Old equipment, crude and corroded in appearance.
Pros
friendly management and staff.
Cons
average pay, no advancement opportunities for basic educated field employees.
great camp and very generous rewards for safety records
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Anzac, AB17 March 2014
Urs Flint was my first experience in the oil sands .My experience was a positive experience .Scary at first but with time it became better . The camp was excellent . I got along with co-workers quite well , A typical day would be outside in the laydown taking instruction from my foreman .This could be anything from locating material to helping load or unload trailers to snow blowing from material . The only hardest part of the job was the - 40 weather and that wasn't that bad because we were told to warm up when ever we felt too cold .The most enjoyable part of the job was when we were so busy but worked as a team and got everything to site that was needed and the foreman would say good job guys we had a good day . I learned that the oil sands and URS work very well together , safety is first , environment , site cleanliness all are of top priority so this gave me an appreciation . They took me in, gave a job and paid me well with benefits . I was laid off in January from shortage of work but hope to be back in the near future to another URS site .
Pros
Great Camp
Cons
- 40 Brrrrrrrrrrr !
Work and safety
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 August 2016
Has extensive experience in the construction of water and wastewater treatment plants extending from new builds to additions involving new equipment and systems in operational facilities.
Fun, new people to work with.
Apprenticing Pipe Fitter (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake29 April 2014
Be at work for 7, have a safety meeting. Then put our lunches away and go grab our tools. Have breaks at 10 and 3 leave site at 5. Great benefits got too take time off for holidays or if i needed a day off in the week they were very willing. Management was great and easy too get along with. Hardest part was working in some very annoying weather somedays but thats part of the job. Learning new things was the best part of it.
Horrible, disorganized company, 0 security, horrible pay
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Calgary10 March 2014
The majority of management and VPs within the company don't even have University education, much less a trades ticket.

URS is known to pay ~15% less than the rest of industry.

Non-uniformity across all jobsites/divisions. What may go with one, i.e pay/rules/etc. will not go with others.

0 job security and no guarantee you'll go to another job, there's a huge disconnect

The way they fire people is absolutely absurd, calling them into a board room in front of their team, firing them, and dividing their team in front of them.

Management is useless and prefer to hide behind reports they demand to make their jobs seem relevant.

Bust your behind for this company and don't get recognized. Hiding safety and environmental incidents....

Garbage company
Pros
Big company, easy to hide in the shade
Cons
No work/life balance, terrible management, very bad pay
Generally my choice place of employement
Quality Control (Current Employee) –  Cold Lake29 October 2013
great opportunities for advancement and long term employement. Great work schedule. Because of these advantages the rate of pay is the lowest in the area for local long term loyal employees!
Pros
Free lunches, benefits, safety points program, gauranteed work
Cons
Low rates, low worker moral