UPS Employee Reviews in Canada

Mail man
Student Practicum (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJune 9, 2015
Dealt with customers on the daily basis, handled all cash, debit and visa transactions. Went to the bank and deposited cheques and moneys that my employer made. Took order and followed instructions well.
Pros
Compliments
Cons
Micro Managing
Fast paced, but extremely rewarding.
Driver Help (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 8, 2015
As a driver helper, I assisted in the Christmas rush with UPS. The atmosphere was pleasant for the amount of work and every day was unique. I learned a lot about UPS' basic delivery process. I learned that this is a good opportunity for those seeking to become drivers but see themselves out of consideration.
Pros
Fast Paced, Good Advancement Opportunites, Lots of Excercise
Cons
Varying Hours/Overtime, Climate, Lots of Excercise
Stressful workplace but with benefits
Preloader (Former Employee) –  Calgary ABJune 3, 2015
Strict deadlines and work requirements. Management was not very supportive and willing to listen to employee feedback.
Package Loader
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  North York, ONMay 29, 2015
One month training program to get you started. The job will get you into shape. Relatively a great part time job that pays well, as it has a workers union. If you give them a good attendance record, being on time and present for your shift on a regular basis, they will help pay for education if you go to college or university. If you want more hours to work, they will gladly take a trained worker to help out during busy seasons in other departments. Its a very big company, and will soon have a subway at their doorstep.
Package Handler
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Concord, ONMay 27, 2015
Same thing day after day. No chance to show my true ability as a Package Handler. Poor working conditions and very disorganized.
Valuable Learning
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONMay 21, 2015
The experience has been a valuable learning tool, but not a career that I could see myself in long term as at the retail level there is little Human Resource work for me, because the majority of that role is done by the owner.
good company
Automotive supervisor (Current Employee) –  Concord, ONMay 19, 2015
I find my immediate management good but the hours are a lot longer than discussed and that I would like in my current position.
Pros
freedom of hours
Cons
long hours (12 plus per day)
long, repetative, driving
Driver, UPS (Former Employee) –  Brossard, QCMay 15, 2015
enter the warehouse in the AM given 100 to 120 deliveries for the day, head out to make my stops. what I learned would be safe driving, management was tough at times. hardest part of the job would be working from 8am to 8pm mon-fri no breaks or you would finish even later. aside from weekends very little social life.
most enjoyable part would be the driving and interacting with costumers.
Pros
enjoyable costumers, benefits
Productive and Fast Paced environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  VancouverMay 14, 2015
Productive and fast paced environment with business services and solution. This gave me an amazing experience of business environment along with professionalism.
Pros
Small Shifts
Cons
Less hours
Productive and easy to do job
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 4, 2015
Here at UPS Store we have tuesdays and fridays as typical days of work.
i learned many things at this job, such as how to make use designing tools to create business cards and how to converse with different type of costumers.
A great company with a great history and a dark side
Fleet Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Concord, ONMay 3, 2015
Overall, I enjoyed my time at UPS. I worked in one of the skilled trades positions that was regarded as a protected asset and during most of my time there, I felt like we were compensated well but we were usually treated like possessions by junior management (supervisors).

The biggest issue was (is) the foolish promotion process that insisted on 'promotion from within' as the only source of talent. The failure to look outwards for talent and ideas is slowly killing this historic company. The practice tends to favour and encourage the non-producers from the unionized ranks to join the management team while the producers continue to push the company forward. I once questioned this practice and a senior manager (who had come along years earlier from the 'outside') admitted to me that 'we make money in spite of ourselves'.

I left the company under a cloud, one year after I rebuffed the 'order' to put my letter of intent in for joining management. The resultant investigation saw me 'asked' to return to work by the Teamsters and being paid for lost time. My co-workers that still remain (10 years later) tell me that the responsible supervisory group from that time is totally broken up across Canada and have not been promoted any further. The managers are all gone.

The several people promoted after I left were all upstanding team players and the upper management that is in place is a solid group. It's a shame the senior supervisors have not been removed completely in order to prevent this type of cancer from growing again. Institutional memory is often limited and short.
Pros
Good pay, Good company, Good union. History is on the side of both.
Cons
Promotion from within process is cancerous.
Fun working environment
Revenue Recovery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 28, 2015
Good environment and more importantly great benefits. School subsidies as well as important incentives in terms of outside transactions (eg. shopping, companies, destinations...).
Not the worst definitely not the best
Screener (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 22, 2015
Ok place to work managment is unorganized and set themselves apart from labourers. People are good most of the time but most of the ones that are there are there because they need the money. once you join the union sit back and wait 3 years to get to your top rate witch is $20 if you can last that long at minimum wage. I only recommend those who are going to school to apply
Pros
good money after 3 years, benefits
Cons
Minimum wage for 3 years, union fees kill your paycheek, cell phone not allowed at airport sights bad mangement
Human Resources Internship
HR Intern (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 22, 2015
Great exposure to the multi-faceted HR department within a large scale company. Staff is extremely helpful and informative, providing insight to how Human Resources affect the processes within the Toronto Area logistics. 5/5 great company to be part of.
UPS previous worker. Worse place to work
Driver (Former Employee) –  N EdmontonApril 21, 2015
UPS Edmonton North, worst place ever to work, I worked with them for almost one year but, and they will treat like a slave, they tell you to stay home while they give your work to the new people that they hire. I hear it was a good company before but now they hired uneducated staffs that have any pity the employees, they just trying to fire old employees to get some bonuses. I do not recommend this company for anyone because its really stressful and they will yell at you like a kid all day long. Unfortunately, they don't give any insurance coverage before on year. They will promise you many thinks remember that the profit here is more important than human beings. they looking for the cheap labor to use and to expel when its little be slow. I thing they will go down one day its my very sad et the most worst experience ever in life. I rather die than going to work for this company. Please run a way from it, they mess up your life.
very professional
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioApril 20, 2015
Very professional atmosphere. a lot of opportunity of advancement.
Excellent opportunity for further education .I would recommend this to anyone looking for a professional company to work for.
Can handle multiple task while keeping strict to deadlines
Material Delivery (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 16, 2015
Organized and maintained strict attendance record.
Collaborate with colleagues and supervisor of projects and shift work
Learn to process new projects in managing cases for new project.
Solve and provide solutions to customer needs
The hardest part of my work is dealing with difficult internal and external customers
The most enjoyable part is learning new computer skills for new projects
Great and enjoyable place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 8, 2015
The UPS store made sure that my tenure there for the summer was the best it could be. In a typical day of work I learned various skills from operating the cashier to organizing packages of all shapes and sizes.
Pros
Great environment, work was relatively enjoyable
Cons
N/A
Productive and can learn somting new
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 8, 2015
Tuseday is the longest day for the business
learnt different languages and different cultures
Co workers are ready to help you any time
Hardest part of the job is long hours
Pros
Can learn different languages and culture
Cons
Long Hours
Daily routine
Package Handler/ Safety Member (Current Employee) –  Concord, ONApril 5, 2015
If I am doing safety committee work, I would be conducting sessions with new employees on safety procedures. I will also have to make sure that they know and understand those safety procedures by testing their knowledge. Then if I am working with those new employees I would assist them on their task making sure they complete their paper work right and have proper loading technique. I would also make safety observations in areas and see what people are doing wrong and what they could put them at risk. When I am not doing safety work, I am loading packages in cans. This involves me being keen and detail orientated. This is because I have to make sure the right packages are going to their destination. The most enjoyable part of my job is communicating with my coworkers and new employees and hearing what is their concerns on the job. Being apart of the safety committee permits me to hear out what fellow workers have an issue with and making steps into resolving those issues.