UPS Employee Reviews

UPS Supervisor
Part-Time Supervisor/Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 May 2016
Good company overall, although operations are tough and stressful, a lot of the shifts are at night time
Odd hours and very inflexible based schedule
Pros
Good Company
Cons
Unionized staff
busy and fast pace working environment
Montreal Imports Administrator (Former Employee) –  Lachine, QC3 June 2016
- daily regular workload
- always learning new updated customs régulations
- helpful and understanding co-wortkers
- good fast-pace, but may be stressful working environment
Worked at a moderate speed
Front desk (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON9 June 2016
Helped customers with whatevrr they needed help with such as shipping, printing, faxing. Worked a lot on the computer more than anything else.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Early mornings
fast paced environment
ups driver (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 October 2014
It was go go go, there, packed are trucks up in the mornings, and i delivered until i was done, sometime this meant delivering 160 different packages to customers in a day during christmas, it was stress full, lots of time requirements, but i enjoyed doing it and was good at it, but in the end, after christmas, they let me go, and i resent them for it, i busted my but for them, and i got fired for it, i took them to the labour board, and i won, wrongful dismissal.
Pros
good salary after 2 and half years
Cons
long hours during winter, stressfull, building falling apart
Welcoming, productive workplace with co-workers willing to share their knowledge and assist one another.
Brokerage Representative II (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 January 2016
UPS-SCS is a fast paced environment that keeps me on my toes. A complex shipment at hand or workload requiring multi-tasking serves as an energizing force for me. Furthermore, it is always rewarding to see the end result in light of a successful release and customer satisfaction. It is a very welcoming environment to work in exhibited in employees’ willingness to assist each other with projects or workloads. Furthermore, senior employees are open to share their knowledge and expertise with new / junior employees. Thus, if one is eager to learn one may do so by finding mentorship among the senior custom broker representatives.
fast pace
extra volume packages
done work early
Job Tranfer
Fueler/Sorter (Current Employee) –  Garden City, ID18 April 2016
I'd like to transfer my job to Canada. I work at a hub in Garden City Idaho. I'm willing to move to Canada. My fiance' lives Guelph. I work two part time shifts back to back. it's called a 22/3 job. I'm a fueler on my first shift. On my second shift I pick packages of or do a smalls job.
Pros
The best pay
Cons
Late nights
Family (Married couple) owned franchise
Graphic Design & Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB5 January 2016
The owners of this franchise were not prepared or equipt with the skills to run a business. They also brought their marital/personal life into the store, which greatly affected the daily opperations of the business.
Pros
Locally convenient, fantastic clientelle
Cons
Management: married couple
Befinits
Ramp agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary,AB5 October 2015
Even though the work place eviroment isnt the best. the company benifits are good.I wish that the management would orginze it self. because simple desicions that can be made in a couple of days. take way longern than they should.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
not a well orginize company in YYC
the most enjoyable part of the job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Erie, ON4 October 2015
getting to meet some great people and having a good crew to help u along your day. if it was not for then friends i made while i was there i would have never stayed.
benefits
Cons
poor management
everyone had a positive attitude and good sense of humor
parts and utilities person (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 March 2016
Most days were routined but if anything changed the other employees wouldnt mind giving a helping hand in anything including managers. Everyone was very responsible and owned up to their own work and though it was a very serious workplace everyone had a great sense of humor
Pros
steady work and understanding managerial staff
Cons
no cons
Warehouse Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON26 January 2016
It's an enjoyable place to work once you know your job and the requirements of that job. Training is a little lax but other than that, I love it.
Pros
Career Advancement
Cons
Training
Not what you would expect
Logistics Data Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brossard, QC12 February 2014
The work enviornment is chaotic at best.

Problems that need up to the second solutions come at you from every angle... even way above your pay grade.

Most Co-Workers are there just waiting for the next promotion and couldn't care less about anyone or anything.

Management is amateur at best... 6 different mangers in 7 years.

The hardest part of the job is constantly re-training individuals old and new with no support from UPS.

People working there 7 years are still making 13.50/hour because previous supervisors have never given raises. They relay on ignorance to get away with essentially stealing money from deserving employees.

They fool around with time cards and steal money from the drivers... I could go on and on...

I 've learned as long as you don't rock the boat you get promoted, if you have common sense and care about employees, you stay at the bottom of the barrel.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when I go home.

This company lives off a false reputation and a cult like pride.

Stay away if you know what is good for you.

They have nothing to be proud of!
Pros
It's close to home
Cons
Rarely paid for overtime.HR is in on the game and therefore you have no recourse for justice.
Healthy Working Environment
Customer Service Representative, Freight GBS (Current Employee) –  Cañada de Calatrava, CM3 January 2013
Working in UPS is a learning experience that directly attends to the needs of individual customers and corporate accounts when it comes to courier and shipment requirements.
Our management in UPS is very supportive of their employees. They even pinpoints employees that are qualified for promotion and even provide training for them to qualify them to their desired position.
Working environment and culture are very conducive and promotes camaraderie, team work and professionalism among co-workers.
The hardest part of the job is when one is unable to satisfy a customers' needs and wants. But in the long run, there are sufficient work around in order to assist these types of customer(s).
Of course, the most enjoyable part of the job is when your receive a commendation from a very satisfied customer. Whenever they would ask for a supervisor and would give commendation for a job well done in supporting them. These things gives us a very light feeling with in the hearts of the employees.
Pros
provides incentives and bonuses whenever goals are met.
Cons
from time to time there are mandatory over time(s) work are asked from the employees to render.
Good Pay
Package Car Driver (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON19 January 2015
UPS is steadily growing the Canadian market. It is a great company for younger persons starting their career. You can work long hours and be well compensated. Unionized environment provides employees with good benefits.
Pros
Good remuneration
Cons
Culture of fear
Ungrateful culture
Supervisor, Business Operations (Current Employee) –  Concord, ON14 June 2012
As a PT Operations (preload) supervisor, my days are never easy or can I help them get either. Little to no support from managers, also.

If you have staffing issues, you better find a way to do more than 2 jobs at the same time in less than 5hrs (every job is designed for more than 5hrs of work). To hire, you need your managers consent. They won't give it, because they've got you to pick up the pieces. If you can't, than quit.

The numbers are never given to you, because you either find them on the spot, or the next day. Therefore, you can't really plan for anything.

The culture is "dog eat dog". Demanding, fast paced, and little to no rewarding program. As for your promotion/bonus/anything good, it depends on who is above you. Better get lucky or get out!
Pros
decent pay for pt
Cons
unnecessary stress, and no growth potential.
Horrible enviroment
Driver helper/Pre loader (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 December 2015
Horrible Management treat people like slaves not like humans only expect more from you than expect as detail. all Co-workers had a bad attitude just like working in a prison everyone try to just stab you in the back to get you in trouble.
Pros
great hours
Cons
Management and not enough pay
It was a productive and friendly atmosphere. I looked forward to going to work
Parcel handling and Data entry (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 July 2014
a typical day at work would be to sort out all the parcels that would arrive and then after I would continue to spend the rest of my day doing data entry's. I learned how to improve my computer and organizing skills due to sorting packages and working with computers for most of my day. My relationship with my co-workers and management was quite friendly, everyone there would always be kind to each other which helped promote a productive and happy environment. I didn't find anything to be very challenging to me and my overall stay with the company was very pleasant
Pros
The benefits
Cons
I didn't find anything negative of working with the company
Fast paced and fast learning.
Small Sort Dept. (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 May 2014
I enjoyed my short time at UPS. We did a lot of sorting small packages and sweeping customs. I did learn how to do inventory and track mail by postal codes. Management was all over the place, with most being great but due to the large amount of young men on my shift , it sort of felt like school. My co-workers were ok but a tight group who made it hard to feel like fitting in. When I devised a plan with my manager who was young but learning for cleaning, some of the people were not impressed. I was not impressed with being left to clean everything and do garbage forever. You pay some dues as a new person but the treatment was wrong. I only count a few bad apples in a large environment but they were enough. I was happy to leave.
Pros
great benefits, good pay
Cons
like working in high school
Challenging
Materials Management Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 September 2013
Go over supply orders for clients & try to fulfill all the orders in a timely manner along with working closely with the Loss Prevention & Overstock departments to make sure any misaddressed packages are accounted for delivered intact. I've learned a lot from my direct manager about purchasing protocols & negotiation techniques. as well as reducing cost and overhead. We had a good team in the Materials Management department that handled all aspects of purchasing & supply internal & external customers with on demand supply deliveries. It was hard to keep up with learning new material daily at the start, but all that made it enjoyable to learn. I was & still am hungry to learn new things in my personal & professional life.
Pros
travelling to different locations & branches of the compapny
Cons
Salary did not reflect effort