UPS Employee Reviews

mechanics are pushed to brake laws
Truck and Coach Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 7, 2015
after a year i have learned how bad the mechanics manager was, always follow your instincts. benefits are a joke, union dues are high and speaking of union don not expect them to stand behind you. opinion is encouraged but not appreciated and used against you and your co workers. do not sign any papers even when they tell you its ok. it will be used against you. It is rare to get a good supervisor, they are instructed by the manager(bad)(whenever i think of him HITLER COMES TO MIND others called the management (GESTAPO- Google it), if you are a snitch you will move up (takes time though) you might wear out your lips :O by then. great place if you dont want friends and are a loner (no social life). tools needed -hammer and chisel , tie straps supplied by the company. again great company to get your foot in the door. just my opinion, so i encourage you to find out for your self and please prove me wrong. this might sound like a bitter review so i challenge you !!!!!! got more to come:)
Pros
cant think of any, oh yah discounts
Cons
uniondues, management, bad work ethic not becoming of a technician
fast paced environment
ups driver (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 27, 2014
It was go go go, there, packed are trucks up in the mornings, and i delivered until i was done, sometime this meant delivering 160 different packages to customers in a day during christmas, it was stress full, lots of time requirements, but i enjoyed doing it and was good at it, but in the end, after christmas, they let me go, and i resent them for it, i busted my but for them, and i got fired for it, i took them to the labour board, and i won, wrongful dismissal.
Pros
good salary after 2 and half years
Cons
long hours during winter, stressfull, building falling apart
everyone had a positive attitude and good sense of humor
parts and utilities person (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2016
Most days were routined but if anything changed the other employees wouldnt mind giving a helping hand in anything including managers. Everyone was very responsible and owned up to their own work and though it was a very serious workplace everyone had a great sense of humor
Pros
steady work and understanding managerial staff
Cons
no cons
Fast paced and fast learning.
Small Sort Dept. (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 20, 2014
I enjoyed my short time at UPS. We did a lot of sorting small packages and sweeping customs. I did learn how to do inventory and track mail by postal codes. Management was all over the place, with most being great but due to the large amount of young men on my shift , it sort of felt like school. My co-workers were ok but a tight group who made it hard to feel like fitting in. When I devised a plan with my manager who was young but learning for cleaning, some of the people were not impressed. I was not impressed with being left to clean everything and do garbage forever. You pay some dues as a new person but the treatment was wrong. I only count a few bad apples in a large environment but they were enough. I was happy to leave.
Pros
great benefits, good pay
Cons
like working in high school
It was a productive and friendly atmosphere. I looked forward to going to work
Parcel handling and Data entry (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 7, 2014
a typical day at work would be to sort out all the parcels that would arrive and then after I would continue to spend the rest of my day doing data entry's. I learned how to improve my computer and organizing skills due to sorting packages and working with computers for most of my day. My relationship with my co-workers and management was quite friendly, everyone there would always be kind to each other which helped promote a productive and happy environment. I didn't find anything to be very challenging to me and my overall stay with the company was very pleasant
Pros
the benefits
Cons
i didn't find anything negative of working with the company
typical day at work
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Concord, ONJune 14, 2016
first youd have to pick and then check and then pack and then shipp and then load the truck and then manifest sign off it goes
Pros
free cofee
UPS Supervisor
Part-Time Supervisor/Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 21, 2016
Good company overall, although operations are tough and stressful, a lot of the shifts are at night time
Odd hours and very inflexible based schedule
Pros
Good Company
Cons
Unionized staff
Job Tranfer
Fueler/Sorter (Current Employee) –  Garden City, IDApril 18, 2016
I'd like to transfer my job to Canada. I work at a hub in Garden City Idaho. I'm willing to move to Canada. My fiance' lives Guelph. I work two part time shifts back to back. it's called a 22/3 job. I'm a fueler on my first shift. On my second shift I pick packages of or do a smalls job.
Pros
The best pay
Cons
Late nights
Challenging
Materials Management Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 11, 2013
Go over supply orders for clients & try to fulfill all the orders in a timely manner along with working closely with the Loss Prevention & Overstock departments to make sure any misaddressed packages are accounted for delivered intact. I've learned a lot from my direct manager about purchasing protocols & negotiation techniques. as well as reducing cost and overhead. We had a good team in the Materials Management department that handled all aspects of purchasing & supply internal & external customers with on demand supply deliveries. It was hard to keep up with learning new material daily at the start, but all that made it enjoyable to learn. I was & still am hungry to learn new things in my personal & professional life.
Pros
travelling to different locations & branches of the compapny
Cons
salary did not reflect effort
fast pace
extra volume packages
done work early
Account Management Associate
Credit Management Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBMarch 26, 2013
A typical day at Ups was to look at all outstanding balances on your trial balance broken up by letter ranges. I had three letter ranges therefore time to contact your highest dollar outstanding over thirty days.
What I learned at Ups was the ability to calm people and to articulate the proper information in a timely manner.
My co workers were very professional and alot of fun.
The hardest part of my job was trying to keep my trial balance under a constant watch and to ensure high dollar accounts were called.
The most enjoyable part of Ups was the fundraisers we did with United Way for unfortunate families.
Pros
medical and dental coverage
Cons
placing difficult employees with one another
fast-paced, needing accuracy and speed to advance
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONJuly 9, 2013
Retrieving customs paperwork for shipments bound for the US; entering all information on a database; ensuring all relevant paperwork is sent to the border authorities in order to clear customs; resolve discrepancies and/or contact customers to obtain missing paperwork.
Attention to detail, meeting deadlines and accuracy whilst inputting data.
Strong management team.
Good relationship with all co-workers - essential to meet service delivery standards.
Evening/twilight shift, therefore late afternoon start and late finish.
Good teamwork ethic, great co-workers who show their appreciation for hard work
Pros
very good health and dental benefits
Cons
evening shift wouldn't fit into family life very well
Derlivery
Driver (Courier Delivery) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 22, 2015
Fast peace place lots of driving with excellent customer service, work without supervisor, resolve issue, help customer, deliver on time, load and unload, maintain logbook and vehicle.
good
Cons
30 months salary very low
worst place to work
Package sorter (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 26, 2016
i hated working there. the co workers was ok to work with but management was really bad. the hardest part of the job is that it was hard to get a washroom break
no comment
Driver (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSMay 18, 2016
Management is very hard to work for not worth the pay check pay is great if you don't mind working for a company who has no respect for its employess
fast paced job working with great people
international office supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 22, 2015
I am a brokerage office supervisor at United Parcel Service which means I oversee an office of 11 employees. An average day sees me trouble shooting various issues (customer queries, logistic concerns, etc). In my 8 years working at UPS I have learned a lot about getting a job done in a timely manner because at UPS the only thing we can provide our customers is the service they expect each time they ship a package. It is very gratifying when I can phone a customer and let them know their package or packages will be delivered on time. I have worked with some great people through the years. The majority of my employees have been with UPS since they opened up shop in Winnipeg back in 1988 and they have been all too quick to pass their knowledge and experiences on to me. A supervisor is only as good as his or her employees and I have been blessed with professional and hard working employees. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I can talk with my employees on a personal level and just have a nice conversation.
Pros
flexible hours, good benefits
Cons
not enough incentives for staff
fast pase , on time delivaries
Driver Assistant/ Walker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC, CanadaNovember 5, 2013
As I did not have my full licence I was just an assistant, an extention of the driver , if you will., I was able to work on my own at least 80-90% of the time unless it was a light day with less than the normal amount of deliveries, and if that was the case then it was an early day for me,
I worked with some great guys, with professional attitudes and work habit's,
For me the hardest part would be when you need to take a single delivery with multiple boxes onto the second or third floor of a building with a). no ramp, and b).no elevator.
the most enjoyable part of my job was the fact that I did most of my work in solitude and still had someone around to check base with.
while I worked for UPS I learned how to operate a mark 4 diad.
Pros
benifits after first year
Cons
must wait at least one year while still working for company to obtain benifits
Fun and Fast Paced work environment
Walker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 24, 2016
I loved working for UPS as a seasonal walker. The driver I was paired with had a great personality, and always took the time to make sure I was fully prepared before leaving me to my route. I have nothing but positive things to say about UPS and the employment opportunity they provided me.
Pros
Never staying in the same place for too long
Work Environment
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 7, 2016
I strive to work within an establishment that is willing to motivate and elevate their employees. A motivated employee leads to a happy employee which is equal to a productive employee.
I believe in team playing and team building. A chain is as weak as its weakest link.
Overall rating $ 18.00
Administration Assistant/Dock Auditor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 4, 2015
A typical day at work was my first night of reporting to work. It was my first day to work at night in my whole entire life, I felt sleepy,tied and missed very much for my bed including the children. Gradually I learned to stay awake and began to focus, performed duties well and ended up working at UPS for 9 years until most of employees were laid off including myself. I managed and organized employee relationship meetings in order to improve occupational Health and safety problems and other related work duties. I communicated well with my co-workers and worked as team in order to achieve future goals for the organization. The hardest part of the job was when economy was beginning to decline, less productions or percales were received and obviously we knew that soon or later, UPS will eliminate some of full time employees in order to avoid expenses and benefits. The most enjoyable part of the job, was that every Christmas, UPS provided huge turkeys and bonuses (money) to all employees, and every month employees who had high productions were receiving gift vouchers for gas, movies or supermarket food
Pros
free lunches hours
Cons
over time hours and weekends when busy