UPS

UPS Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Don't expect much
Day Sorter (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 28, 2014
Pros: you get paid
Cons: short hours, pointless training, work conditions a gamble, bad supervisors
"We have a really high turnover rate", uttered by my second interviewer, should have been the alarm I needed to consider going elsewhere, but I stuck it out because of pre-conceived notions that this company was decent to work for.

Heh, that's a joke and a half. This company is doing what many others think is just fine and dandy; cut the hours, ramp up the work, lose people due to hours and/or conditions or due to excessive expectations from supervisors/management, hire every week. God was I naive. The training was rather pointless, too, because almost nobody even follows it. That same interviewer turned out to be arrogant and insulting to just about everyone, even if they're new and still getting the techniques down, but what can you expect from a job like this. At least the union representative cared, listened, and was a good source of advice. Not that the latter would amount to much.

I got let go just in time for Christmas because I got inundated with a lovely truck that was packed as if by small children. Was given 45 minutes to do so, but even with another guy to help it took twice that time to get the work done. Was warned to pick up my performance in spite of the idiot supervisor knowing full well that the truck was not packed in a manner that would allow me to meet the expectations. I was a hard worker otherwise and wanted it to last as long as possible, but then I got that early Xmas present wherein I somehow didn't make the cut. Must note how that same week that was my last was also, according to the head supervisor of the floor, "one of the best weeks I have ever – more... seen" performance-wise and so everybody got free pizza on that fateful day. After waiting forever for a supervisor to get me much needed work supplies, a different one came around to tell me the great news just in time for the holidays. He even shook my hand after walking me out the door. Was in too much of a trance from the blow to tell him to shove it where the sun don't shine. I hope the Grinch stole his Christmas.

And even if I stayed there, the minimal number of hours and scumdoggery of the supervisors ensured very little security for me in the job. The salary looks good, and the union dues make very small dents in your overall pay, so that's okay. But Heaven forbid the workplace slow down and they tell you you can go home because there's nothing to do, only to lose pay because of it. Why even hire people in the first place if you're going to allow people to lose money during the FREAKIN' HOLIDAYS because you don't have enough work to distribute to everyone? Have fun constantly (and pointlessly) training people every week because you're only going to keep one in a million.

I don't recommend this job to anybody. – less
A great company with a great history and a dark side
Fleet Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee), Concord, ONMay 3, 2015
Pros: Good pay, Good company, Good union. History is on the side of both.
Cons: Promotion from within process is cancerous.
Overall, I enjoyed my time at UPS. I worked in one of the skilled trades positions that was regarded as a protected asset and during most of my time there, I felt like we were compensated well but we were usually treated like possessions by junior management (supervisors).

The biggest issue was (is) the foolish promotion process that insisted on 'promotion from within' as the only source of talent. The failure to look outwards for talent and ideas is slowly killing this historic company. The practice tends to favour and encourage the non-producers from the unionized ranks to join the management team while the producers continue to push the company forward. I once questioned this practice and a senior manager (who had come along years earlier from the 'outside') admitted to me that 'we make money in spite of ourselves'.

I left the company under a cloud, one year after I rebuffed the 'order' to put my letter of intent in for joining management. The resultant investigation saw me 'asked' to return to work by the Teamsters and being paid for lost time. My co-workers that still remain (10 years later) tell me that the responsible supervisory group from that time is totally broken up across Canada and have not been promoted any further. The managers are all gone.

The several people promoted after I left were all upstanding team players and the upper management that is in place is a solid group. It's a shame the senior supervisors have not been removed completely in order to prevent this type of cancer from growing again. Institutional memory is often limited and short.
A company with a strong legacy and many long term (20+ years) employees
Employee Communications Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 9, 2014
I have a passion for employee communications and I am fortunate to have a supportive management team at UPS who is committed to not only seeing me succeed but also seeing my team succeed. They have purchased additional tools (computers, cameras, software) that have allowed for changes to be made in the way we communicate with the over 10,000 UPS Canada employees. We now have the capabilities to be more visual and creative in our communications with graphic design and video production – this is exciting. Because many of our employees are on the road or in an operations setting it is challenging to reach them because they do not sit in front of computers. We encourage face-to-face communications as often as possible but also make sure that visuals like posters and signs are posted in all centres across the country. We have even started producing a newsletter that is intended to be printed and posted so that operations employees feel more connected and engaged. There are positive and negative aspects to working for a company that has such a strong hold on its history and legacy. Change can sometimes be difficult. It does not mean it doesn’t happen, it just might happen as quickly as one would want in this age of instant communication and continuous change. What I love most about my job is that I get to work with all levels of employees from the president to the drivers and all in between. I enjoy making sure that everyone is kept well informed of what is going on with the business and I love sharing the great things that UPS employees do every day in their jobs and outside work – more... in the communities where they. – less
Don't work for UPS
Delivery Driver (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBDecember 12, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: You are not a person to them
This was the worst 2 years of my life.
UPS USED to be a great company to work for, not now. With the new contracts it takes 4 YEARS to make top rate. You might as well go to school and learn something transferable. You start at $13 and go up 50 cents every 6 months for 4 years.
There are basically No perks to this job. The company asks So much from their employers and give almost nothing in return. The only perk is they cover your benefits cost. BUT you work so much, you have no time to use them.
They are all about numbers, not logic. The management is terrible, they treat you like garbage. Full timers get worked crazy hard. They monitor everything you do and criticize everything. They have a very high turnover rate.
I had an issue with the work truck seats causing back problems. They had no interest in trying to solve this issue. I even had a very simple suggestion that didn't cost anything, I asked to use a truck that I found to be comfortable. They couldn't be bothered. They gave me the run around for months. I was off work for 2 weeks with a back injury because of them. I never had back problems before. Now that I no longer work there, my back is 100% again!

I love working, I have a very strong work ethic, I'm energetic. But this place broke me. I was depressed and hated every moment I was there. Work anywhere else!!!!
Thank heavens I got a new job. I had been searching for so long.
Fast pace enviroment, with stupidity as management...
Twilight Supervisor (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: they offer supervisor positions constantly.
Cons: management is a joke.
I thought going into my position at UPS would be great...was I ever wrong!

Training was a complete joke, if you could consider it even training. As a supervisor you are required to wear dress clothes (which is no problem), but then you're loading and unloading trailers and UPS cars (yes as a supervisor), and not really receiving any training.

Management delegates all their jobs to the new employees (even if you're a supervisor), and thats what is considered 'training' to this crowd.

Whatever your actual job description is, don't expect to actually do any of it. You'll be doing all the other supervisor/management's jobs for them instead.

When you start, you are only considered a 'Part Time' employee, and after some time (whenever they feel) you may get an offer of full time.

The benefits seem great on paper, but in actuality they're nothing special for such a big company to offer. There are tons of small-tiny companies that offer the same (and even better) benefits.

Other UPS warehouses in other cities may be good, but the Winnipeg location is a joke. Management is sub-par at best.

If you're considering a supervisor position in Winnipeg, I suggest looking elsewhere....
Overall rating $ 18.00
Administration Assistant/Dock Auditor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 4, 2015
Pros: free lunches hours
Cons: over time hours and weekends when busy
A typical day at work was my first night of reporting to work. It was my first day to work at night in my whole entire life, I felt sleepy,tied and missed very much for my bed including the children. Gradually I learned to stay awake and began to focus, performed duties well and ended up working at UPS for 9 years until most of employees were laid off including myself. I managed and organized employee relationship meetings in order to improve occupational Health and safety problems and other related work duties. I communicated well with my co-workers and worked as team in order to achieve future goals for the organization. The hardest part of the job was when economy was beginning to decline, less productions or percales were received and obviously we knew that soon or later, UPS will eliminate some of full time employees in order to avoid expenses and benefits. The most enjoyable part of the job, was that every Christmas, UPS provided huge turkeys and bonuses (money) to all employees, and every month employees who had high productions were receiving gift vouchers for gas, movies or supermarket food
Healthy Working Environment
Customer Service Representative, Freight GBS (Current Employee), Cañada de Calatrava, CMJanuary 3, 2013
Pros: provides incentives and bonuses whenever goals are met.
Cons: from time to time there are mandatory over time(s) work are asked from the employees to render.
Working in UPS is a learning experience that directly attends to the needs of individual customers and corporate accounts when it comes to courier and shipment requirements.
Our management in UPS is very supportive of their employees. They even pinpoints employees that are qualified for promotion and even provide training for them to qualify them to their desired position.
Working environment and culture are very conducive and promotes camaraderie, team work and professionalism among co-workers.
The hardest part of the job is when one is unable to satisfy a customers' needs and wants. But in the long run, there are sufficient work around in order to assist these types of customer(s).
Of course, the most enjoyable part of the job is when your receive a commendation from a very satisfied customer. Whenever they would ask for a supervisor and would give commendation for a job well done in supporting them. These things gives us a very light feeling with in the hearts of the employees.
Not what you would expect
Logistics Data Supervisor (Current Employee), Brossard, QCFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: it's close to home
Cons: rarely paid for overtime.hr is in on the game and therefore you have no recourse for justice.
The work enviornment is chaotic at best.

Problems that need up to the second solutions come at you from every angle... even way above your pay grade.

Most Co-Workers are there just waiting for the next promotion and couldn't care less about anyone or anything.

Management is amateur at best... 6 different mangers in 7 years.

The hardest part of the job is constantly re-training individuals old and new with no support from UPS.

People working there 7 years are still making 13.50/hour because previous supervisors have never given raises. They relay on ignorance to get away with essentially stealing money from deserving employees.

They fool around with time cards and steal money from the drivers... I could go on and on...

I 've learned as long as you don't rock the boat you get promoted, if you have common sense and care about employees, you stay at the bottom of the barrel.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when I go home.

This company lives off a false reputation and a cult like pride.

Stay away if you know what is good for you.

They have nothing to be proud of!
fast paced job working with great people
international office supervisor (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: flexible hours, good benefits
Cons: not enough incentives for staff
I am a brokerage office supervisor at United Parcel Service which means I oversee an office of 11 employees. An average day sees me trouble shooting various issues (customer queries, logistic concerns, etc). In my 8 years working at UPS I have learned a lot about getting a job done in a timely manner because at UPS the only thing we can provide our customers is the service they expect each time they ship a package. It is very gratifying when I can phone a customer and let them know their package or packages will be delivered on time. I have worked with some great people through the years. The majority of my employees have been with UPS since they opened up shop in Winnipeg back in 1988 and they have been all too quick to pass their knowledge and experiences on to me. A supervisor is only as good as his or her employees and I have been blessed with professional and hard working employees. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I can talk with my employees on a personal level and just have a nice conversation.
mechanics are pushed to brake laws
Truck and Coach Technician (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: cant think of any, oh yah discounts
Cons: uniondues, management, bad work ethic not becoming of a technician
after a year i have learned how bad the mechanics manager was, always follow your instincts. benefits are a joke, union dues are high and speaking of union don not expect them to stand behind you. opinion is encouraged but not appreciated and used against you and your co workers. do not sign any papers even when they tell you its ok. it will be used against you. It is rare to get a good supervisor, they are instructed by the manager(bad)(whenever i think of him HITLER COMES TO MIND others called the management (GESTAPO- Google it), if you are a snitch you will move up (takes time though) you might wear out your lips :O by then. great place if you dont want friends and are a loner (no social life). tools needed -hammer and chisel , tie straps supplied by the company. again great company to get your foot in the door. just my opinion, so i encourage you to find out for your self and please prove me wrong. this might sound like a bitter review so i challenge you !!!!!! got more to come:)
UPS is a world class courier services company and very dynamic and customers focussed service delivery
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 24, 2013
The typical day is planned with scrum meetings and target are set for every member of the team to keep to the project completion time schedule. The project allowed me to interact with different stakeholders from various levels and particularly the SMEs. Management team are supportive though at times, they could be extremely so busy with meeting up with their global targets but because they all bought in to the project, they were very supportive. There was great collaboration between the project team members and we interacted through walk through and JAD sessions.The hardest part of the job is the scope crippling because of ever growing functional requirements which the company always wanted to include and were later scrutinised based on priority, budget and value added. The most interesting part of the job is the support from the business and stakeholders, unhindered communication across the levels and structured workplace.
Daily routine
Package Handler/ Safety Member (Current Employee), Concord, ONApril 5, 2015
If I am doing safety committee work, I would be conducting sessions with new employees on safety procedures. I will also have to make sure that they know and understand those safety procedures by testing their knowledge. Then if I am working with those new employees I would assist them on their task making sure they complete their paper work right and have proper loading technique. I would also make safety observations in areas and see what people are doing wrong and what they could put them at risk. When I am not doing safety work, I am loading packages in cans. This involves me being keen and detail orientated. This is because I have to make sure the right packages are going to their destination. The most enjoyable part of my job is communicating with my coworkers and new employees and hearing what is their concerns on the job. Being apart of the safety committee permits me to hear out what fellow workers have an issue with and making steps into resolving those issues.
UPS previous worker. Worse place to work
Driver (Former Employee), N EdmontonApril 21, 2015
UPS Edmonton North, worst place ever to work, I worked with them for almost one year but, and they will treat like a slave, they tell you to stay home while they give your work to the new people that they hire. I hear it was a good company before but now they hired uneducated staffs that have any pity the employees, they just trying to fire old employees to get some bonuses. I do not recommend this company for anyone because its really stressful and they will yell at you like a kid all day long. Unfortunately, they don't give any insurance coverage before on year. They will promise you many thinks remember that the profit here is more important than human beings. they looking for the cheap labor to use and to expel when its little be slow. I thing they will go down one day its my very sad et the most worst experience ever in life. I rather die than going to work for this company. Please run a way from it, they mess up your life.
This job is one of my best jobs I've ever had.
UPS (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: customers get used to seeing me so they give tip, when its not to busy we get to leave early
Cons: when its really busy we have to stay long hours, do not appreciate working in cold weather not comfortable
This company has benefits and lots of hours i was accumulating. The people i worked with were amazing. The job was a "go,go'' type of job, so with experience i really think this job really trained me to get jobs done really fast and efficient. The hardest part of the job is when you have to deal with more than expected packages a day and not knowing addresses to deliver them to,it gets really stressful. One day at work when me and my co worker opened the back of the truck we were surprised by the amount of packages there were because we couldn't even get throughout to the back of the truck to start organizing. Other than that days at work go by very fast and keeps me in shape.
A decent part time job.
Package Handler (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioNovember 7, 2013
Pros: great atmosphere, great co-workers and great supervisor.
Cons: loading heavy boxes onto trucks.
Working as a package handler at UPS was an exciting time for me seeing that this was my first ever job. All I did while at UPS was load packages onto trucks that were delivered to their respected destinations. My supervisor was awesome and was never in a bad mood. He would always try to make jokes through the working hours so we can have a bit of fun at work seeing that the job we did was physically demanding. It was nice working with my co-workers because I knew most of them through my high school, so we were all familiar with each other on the first day of the job. I'd say the only hard part of the job was loading heavy boxes onto the trucks 3 hours straight. But the most enjoyable part of the job was that we were all friends and we never had a bad day at work.
Challenging
Materials Management Team Leader (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 11, 2013
Pros: travelling to different locations & branches of the compapny
Cons: salary did not reflect effort
Go over supply orders for clients & try to fulfill all the orders in a timely manner along with working closely with the Loss Prevention & Overstock departments to make sure any misaddressed packages are accounted for delivered intact. I've learned a lot from my direct manager about purchasing protocols & negotiation techniques. as well as reducing cost and overhead. We had a good team in the Materials Management department that handled all aspects of purchasing & supply internal & external customers with on demand supply deliveries. It was hard to keep up with learning new material daily at the start, but all that made it enjoyable to learn. I was & still am hungry to learn new things in my personal & professional life.
fast pase , on time delivaries
Driver Assistant/ Walker (Former Employee), Vancouver, BC, CanadaNovember 5, 2013
Pros: benifits after first year
Cons: must wait at least one year while still working for company to obtain benifits
As I did not have my full licence I was just an assistant, an extention of the driver , if you will., I was able to work on my own at least 80-90% of the time unless it was a light day with less than the normal amount of deliveries, and if that was the case then it was an early day for me,
I worked with some great guys, with professional attitudes and work habit's,
For me the hardest part would be when you need to take a single delivery with multiple boxes onto the second or third floor of a building with a). no ramp, and b).no elevator.
the most enjoyable part of my job was the fact that I did most of my work in solitude and still had someone around to check base with.
while I worked for UPS I learned how to operate a mark 4 diad.
Ungrateful culture
Supervisor, Business Operations (Current Employee), Concord, ONJune 14, 2012
Pros: decent pay for pt
Cons: unnecessary stress, and no growth potential.
As a PT Operations (preload) supervisor, my days are never easy or can I help them get either. Little to no support from managers, also.

If you have staffing issues, you better find a way to do more than 2 jobs at the same time in less than 5hrs (every job is designed for more than 5hrs of work). To hire, you need your managers consent. They won't give it, because they've got you to pick up the pieces. If you can't, than quit.

The numbers are never given to you, because you either find them on the spot, or the next day. Therefore, you can't really plan for anything.

The culture is "dog eat dog". Demanding, fast paced, and little to no rewarding program. As for your promotion/bonus/anything good, it depends on who is above you. Better get lucky or get out!
Fast paced and fast learning.
Small Sort Dept. (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMay 20, 2014
Pros: great benefits, good pay
Cons: like working in high school
I enjoyed my short time at UPS. We did a lot of sorting small packages and sweeping customs. I did learn how to do inventory and track mail by postal codes. Management was all over the place, with most being great but due to the large amount of young men on my shift , it sort of felt like school. My co-workers were ok but a tight group who made it hard to feel like fitting in. When I devised a plan with my manager who was young but learning for cleaning, some of the people were not impressed. I was not impressed with being left to clean everything and do garbage forever. You pay some dues as a new person but the treatment was wrong. I only count a few bad apples in a large environment but they were enough. I was happy to leave.
Not the best place to work
Driver Helper (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: friendly employees
Cons: difficult work schedule, limited training, negative environment
Any day at UPS would've been okay if it hadn't been for the sudden change of schedule. At first I was helping out a couple employees with stocking a nearby shopping mall. Then out of nowhere, management decided to hook me up with a driver who kept busting my chops up to the point where he kicked me off his truck. When I tried to explain to management I was better doing work in the mall, they didn't listen or care and ended up laying me off without making a real decision of how to work things out with me. They didn't even think about how I wasn't exactly ready to be helping out someone during driving deliveries. It would've been better if they just understood my explanation.
Industry