U.S. Navy

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
not home in 4 years
Boatswain Mate (Former Employee), on a ship stationed overseasDecember 12, 2014
Tough work, dirty, long hours short on pay.
Travel was out of the US. At sea multiple weeks.
Do your job and stay out of trouble.
Avionics Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Lemoore NAS, CaMarch 20, 2014
Pros: great benefits, steady work
Cons: poor pay
An aircraft cockpit has instruments which are controlled by the Control Boxes stored in the avionics bay in the aircraft. Wires in the aircraft connect all the units together to make the links to which it all worked. When and unit didn't perform correctly, the aircraft technician would pull either the instrument or the control box, replacing it to "fix" the plane. That pulled unit would come to me for repair. I learned to troubleshoot and use logic to find problems and correctly Fix them. I think the highlight of my time there was when I was able to fix the units with no or minimal help. The more units I learned, the more I was able to fix, and that accomplishment was very satisfying. Co-workers came and left and though you got to know one for a while, sooner or later they were gone as was you. And that was the hardest part of the job.
Highly educated janitor/managing a team of janitors
Supervisor, Operator, Technician (Former Employee), Everett, WAJanuary 8, 2014
Overall, glad I did it. Peers were great....actual job, not so much.
Industrial Maintenance
Engineman (Former Employee), Mayport, FLOctober 10, 2013
Pros: traveling
Cons: pay
Auxilary Department on all Engineering equipment onboard USS HUE CITY
Travel the world
Machine Repairman (Former Employee), Everett, WAOctober 7, 2013
I got to do many things that people dream of do in their lifetime. Crossed the International date line and Equator at the same time. Went though the Panama canal.
After 20 years I have seen just about everything
Pilot (Former Employee), On the seven seasJanuary 22, 2013
low pay at first as well as all of the dirty & tedious jobs. Work your way up and all of that goes away. The Navy paid for my education, and sent me to flight school. I am retiring as a helicopter pilot after joining with NO experience. It is what you make of it. There is good and bad with every job, but this one allowed me to see the world. I will surely miss it.
Great on the job training with technical specialist
Petty Officer 2nd Class (Former Employee), Whidbey Island, WAAugust 7, 2012
Pros: professional work environment
Cons: military
Review shop's request for service and pm services. Ensure all spare parts and hi use consumable are available and o/h prior to initiating the xfer of work to tradesmen's. Ensure job plan scope is up to date, working knowledge and relationship with tradesmen. As senior petty officer, manage subordinates in shop in a professional manner and team build. Hardest part of job is scheduling around different dept's & divisions. Best part of job is creating a uniformed system & devising s.o.p for shop.
The most professional enviroment I have ever worked in
Aviation Electronics Technician (Former Employee), traveled the world on aircraft carriersApril 30, 2012
I was an aviation electronics technician. I first mustered up our shop department and went over what planes in our aviation wing needed serviceing and routine class inspections so the pilots were ready to fly missions and aircrafts on a daily mutible run day. serviced all electronic cards, and did internal wiring to service birds. Worked in one of the most dangerous enviroments in the world during all types of pressure and stress and performed on a Aplus level to adapt and overcome to the situation at hand safely professionaly and correctly.
A once in a lifetime, life-changing experience
Operations Specialist (Former Employee), Various Locations, mostly on ships,March 3, 2012
Pros: most everything.
Cons: time away from home/loved ones.
My experience in the Navy wasn't always easy, but it was one of the best times of my life. The US Military takes care of it's people; and these are hard times. Anyone who can find themselves amongst the ranks will have job security and financial independence. You will also have opportunities to go places and see things you have never seen before. The slogan holds true,"Join the Navy, see the world!"
Great Job and Life Experience
Master at Arms (Military Police) (Former Employee), Guam and Chesepeake, VirginiaJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: brotherhood, community
Cons: workplace drama when it happened
I truly enjoyed working in the Navy, I got to see a lot of things and got to work in the field that most interests me.

Work was always busy, we were constantly moving from one thing to the next. Training on weapons or tactical movements, first aid anything that we had to deal with out in the field or on deployment or while we were doing law enforcement. I learned a lot of things, conflict resolution skills, skills in using weapons and force appropriatly, when and when not to use force, verbal judo and how to remain aware of your surroundings and of situations. Management was great for the most part, they really wanted to help you succeed in and out of the military and would do what ever they could do to help. The co-workers were something I never got to experience outside of the military and that was brotherhood, they had your back in more than just the work place, it was actually like a family. The hardest part of the job really for the most part was not knowing what was next or things of that nature. My most enjoyable part of the job was either successfully helping someone in need or when I would get to go on deployments, we always were having fun on deployments, even when we had to do 6 hours on and 6 hours off it was fun, I loved watching everything that was going on and providing security.
Professional and Experience that will last a life time
Maintenance Administrative Clerk (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: benefits and tuition paid in full
Cons: being away from family
Working with the Navy provided me with a structure I can use in an everyday work place. I've learned through the experience how to deal with stressful situations and professionalism in the workplace. The hardest part of the job was being away from the family for long periods of time. But in the end the experience I was provided is helping continue my career I need to pursue something in the nursing field.
Great Career in the Navy
Military Liaison / Damage Control Coordinator (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: benefits, job security, travel the world
Cons: away from the family
I loved serving in the Navy for the past 23 years and look forward to moving on to a new career. One of the best things I enjoyed the most about the Navy was meeting different people from different areas of the world. It was good to serve with so many good people. You never knew what you were going to encounter when you came to work, everyday something new was thrown at you to handle. The hardest part was being deployed and spending time away from the family. I will miss it but I am ready to move on to a new life.
Mixed Emotions about transitioning out of the US NAVY
Nuclear Programs Coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: great benefits, extensive ojt
I am grateful for the opportunities afforded by the Naval Nuclear Program, Uniquely, my entire engineering base experience is built on top of what they would refer to as the "Six Pillars of Naval Nuclear Propulsion". Integrity, Formality, Procedural Compliance, Level of Knowledge, Questioning Attitude, and Forceful Backup are essential to all aspects of Engineering and my evaluated stellar performance, both on and off the submarine, is a direct emulation of those pillars.
Perferct place to start in life
Ships Serviceman Second Class(E-5) (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: travel
Cons: travel, watch duties
This was the most influential time in my life. Grew a lot as a man. The hardest part was being at the bottom of the ranks and having to really earn my rank.
The most enjoyable part was the travel and gaining wisdom from senior members
Military Life
Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Norfolk, AnnapolisJanuary 22, 2015
Work in the Navy was typical 7-4 or 5 pm (1700).
Trained to troubleshoot and maintain a lot of electronic equipment.
Coworkers were hit and miss.
Hardest part of the job was having to be away so much.
Most enjoyable part of the job was going places.
Theater Battle Management Core Systems Expert (Former Employee), Norfolk, CAJanuary 22, 2015
I do not want to leave a review at this time.

• Air planning and execution management board
• Identified resources required, assigned responsibilities and coordinated project staff directly and indirectly to ensure successful completion of the project.
• Tracked project deliveries using project management tools.
• Designed project documents to monitor project performance and ease of data retrieval.
• Reported on project progress and communicated relevant information to superiors.
• Tracked and resolved critical issues to minimize project risk factors
• Managed and oversaw over 60 personnel.
• Maintained all organizational information pertaining to Air Traffic Control. Ensuring operational efficiency and compliance of air traffic control regulations.
Difficult but rewarding career
3rd CLASS SONAR TECHNICIAN PETTY OFFICER (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: travel, unique job experience
Cons: away from friends and family, war is not easy
Teamwork and personal effort are staples of day-to-day operations in the Navy. Learning to manage the benefits of diverse backgrounds with co-workers was challenging but overall highly beneficial to task completion.
Job Review
Military Non Commissioned Officer (Former Employee), Worldwide deployableJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: travel, education, medical benefits, advancement opportunity
Cons: long hours and there is no overtime.
The US Military is one of the greatest places to work, full of growth potential, support and leadership from people of all walks of life that have made a solemn pledge to serve this country, protect it anywhere and at anytime. It is in many ways a brotherhood/sisterhood and a family that understands the importance of taking care of each other. I was privileged to serve along side some of the most dedicated, patriotic men and women this country has to offer; and because of this it was an education that I consider to be priceless. My day began early and finished late. I learned that there is nothing impossible if your willing to embrace the attributes required to get just about any job accomplished with excellence. I have the utmost respect for my leadership because they give of themselves to those who work for them, and are willing to be their support whenever it is needed. It is highly competitive, but competition make all of us stronger. The hardest part of the job is ensuring that you don't become one dimensional and that you know how to shake things up when necessary, and create for yourself a balance between work and home life. I love to travel, and that's just what I did.
A great place to further your education with hands on experence
Cryptologic Technician Technical (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: fantastic benefits, salary
Cons: no time for personal life, short breaks, long working days
A typical day at work involves pushing yourself to your mental and physical limit. Working until the job is done that day because you never know what will happen tomorrow.
great benefits
BOATSWAINS MATE (Former Employee), Mayport,FLJanuary 22, 2015
great benefits lots of travel. loved serving my country. great pay

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more