U.S. Navy
7,570 reviews

U.S. Navy Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Do your job and stay out of trouble.
Avionics Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Lemoore NAS, CaMarch 20, 2014
Pros: great benefits, steady work
Cons: poor pay
An aircraft cockpit has instruments which are controlled by the Control Boxes stored in the avionics bay in the aircraft. Wires in the aircraft connect all the units together to make the links to which it all worked. When and unit didn't perform correctly, the aircraft technician would pull either the instrument or the control box, replacing it to "fix" – more... the plane. That pulled unit would come to me for repair. I learned to troubleshoot and use logic to find problems and correctly Fix them. I think the highlight of my time there was when I was able to fix the units with no or minimal help. The more units I learned, the more I was able to fix, and that accomplishment was very satisfying. Co-workers came and left and though you got to know one for a while, sooner or later they were gone as was you. And that was the hardest part of the job. – less
Highly educated janitor/managing a team of janitors
Supervisor, Operator, Technician (Former Employee), Everett, WAJanuary 8, 2014
Overall, glad I did it. Peers were great....actual job, not so much.
Disciplined challenging workplace
Interior Comunication Electrician (Former Employee), Norfolk, VADecember 1, 2013
Pros: free medical, housing, food, clothing
Cons: long hours, and far from home for extenuated periods
Although work had long hours, the job was rewarding. I had the satisfaction that because of my work I knew the ship would move, we could defend the ship, prepare ourselves for anything to come, and I knew the crew received decent rest and relaxation.

I learned a wide array of troubleshooting many different electronic systems. From systems that cost – more... multi millions to a few hundred, and the responsibility of fixing each system quickly and efficiently. I also learned much from the wide variety of personalities, and how to work well with a large group of people.

My co-workers were stressed from being away from families and the long hours (as well as me). Even so we always came together and got the job done and worked out our differences.

The hardest part of the job for me was to be away from my family for many months at a time. The good thing about it though is I was able to experience the world. I have literally been all over the world. – less
Industrial Maintenance
Engineman (Former Employee), Mayport, FLOctober 10, 2013
Pros: traveling
Cons: pay
Auxilary Department on all Engineering equipment onboard USS HUE CITY
Travel the world
Machine Repairman (Former Employee), Everett, WAOctober 7, 2013
I got to do many things that people dream of do in their lifetime. Crossed the International date line and Equator at the same time. Went though the Panama canal.
sailor
Communication Specialist (Former Employee), all overMay 9, 2013
Pros: overseas
Cons: overseas
not good pay for long hours constant travel can be a pain. nice uniforms
Loved working here
Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee), Great Lakes, ILApril 22, 2013
Pros: working with people i respected
Cons: there were times i could not do everything myself, and had to rely on other people to help me get the job done right.
My typical day included checking in patients, answering the phones, assisting the doctors, helping patients understand their medicine, running errands for the doctors and nurses, organizing my workspace, etc.
I learned how to run clinics, including Family Practice, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics and the Pharmacy as well as security for a big hospital.
I – more... was constantly in charge of other corpsman working in the clinics, ensuring the office ran smoothly and helping when one clinic needed an extra hand.
My co-workers were wonderful and knowledgeable to work with and for.
The hardest part of the job was when the patients were harried and rushed and I couldn't help them because the clinic was backed up or the doctor was running behind.
I loved working with the kids and I loved knowing that my organizational skills were put to good use ensuring the clinic ran smoothly. – less
family liasion
Liaison (Former Employee), jacksonville floridaSeptember 17, 2012
Pros: excellent experince
work as a support for families within the military, work with red cross when needed for family emergency. facilitiated information session for families. published monthly newslettersetc.
Great on the job training with technical specialist
Petty Officer 2nd Class (Former Employee), Whidbey Island, WAAugust 7, 2012
Pros: professional work environment
Cons: military
Review shop's request for service and pm services. Ensure all spare parts and hi use consumable are available and o/h prior to initiating the xfer of work to tradesmen's. Ensure job plan scope is up to date, working knowledge and relationship with tradesmen. As senior petty officer, manage subordinates in shop in a professional manner and team build. – more... Hardest part of job is scheduling around different dept's & divisions. Best part of job is creating a uniformed system & devising s.o.p for shop. – less
Varied work experiences
Maintenance Supervisor/ Electronics Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 21, 2012
Pros: great comradery
Cons: long periods away from home
Routinely, I managed a crew of more than 10 technicians in their maintenance activities, training, and duty routines to ensure we were meeting our objectives thereby ensuring mission readiness. Our team was a diverse group but worked well as a unit under pressure to achieve our maintenance objectives. Sometimes, largely due to the arduous schedule and – more... dynamic working environment, I found myself having to keep the peace acting as a mediator as tempers would often flair. We had to maintain a professional shop at all times. No matter what, we were a team and had to stand together as a team. This was sometimes the best and worst part of my job. When we were on top of our game, meeting and exceeding our deadlines, we often enjoyed scheduled downtime to relax together as a group. Usually we would enjoy a shop BBQ. That was always good for morale. The break in the action was a good time. These recreational activities reduced bad stress and reinvigorated the team. I've found that a happy team tends to be more unified and productive. The team carried out many collateral duties outside of the shop as well and this helped the team to grow in experience. There was but a few of us and a lot to be done. Whenever opportunities for growth presented themselves, I encouraged my team to participate and better themselves. My job was to ensure the safe and timely completion of preventive and corrective maintenance, completion of training, and maintaining the readiness and morale of the team across the jobs with distinction. – less
truck driver
truck driver (Former Employee), Taranto Italia, arbatax CagliariJuly 17, 2012
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours
achievement of suitability for all driving licenses, specialized on transport trucks and tank trucks.
Productive and engaging workplace.
Warfare - Systems Integration Lead (Current Employee), MDJuly 10, 2012
Pros: great chance to learn new skills and work with different programs
Cons: location of base.
A typical day would involve going to meetings, and dealing with any issues that would arise that day. Going to meetings helped to get more involved with other engineers and get a first hand look how the program is run. My supervisor was very helpful in supplying information about an issue and the some hints on how to go about correcting the issue. My – more... co-workers are very helpful as when comments are needed by a deadline for a document review, everyone had their comments in on time with detailed responses. The hardest part of the job is not really with the job itself but with the community around it as there are not many activities to do after work. The most enjoyable part is knowing that what you are working on directly impacts the Navy Fleet. – less
A great place to serve both yourself and our great nation while defending our cherished way of life.
Administration Officer (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJuly 26, 2014
Pros: excellent traning and travel opportunities
Cons: often long periods at sea away from family
The U.S. Navy has provided me the opportunity to meet and work with diverse individuals and travel to 33 different foreign countries. During my 28 year career, I transitioned from the senior enlisted ranks to the officer corps.
Great working experience
Logistic Specialist (Current Employee), worldwideJuly 26, 2014
Pros: great working enviroment flexibility teamwork
Cons: long working hours
Working as a logistic specialist in the navy give me a great deal of responsibility, challenges as well as opportunity to excel as a manager. The ability to manage time and money is one of my strength which helped me to excel at my job. At times the freedom to work as an independant logistic specialist meant I can make my own schedule, other times the – more... ability to lead a team in order to accomplish a mission had it's challenges. Overall the Navy give me the skills I needed. – less
Great job security and benefits
INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN SECOND CLASS (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 26, 2014
Pros: health and education benefits
Cons: not much free/family time
This job has opened many doors and opportunities for me. The educational benefits and on the job training are great. However, the work schedule is hectic and hard to balance family time with work.
Productive and diverse environment.
Information Systems Technician (Former Employee), Norfolk, VirginiaJuly 26, 2014
Pros: healthcare, paid days off, job security
You have to learn at a fast pace and adapt to situations. Come in contact with people for various places. May get a chance to travel and see places most people won't get a chance to see.
productive
Avionics Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJuly 25, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Productive and focus on the job and duties, always busy or learning about the our duties.
Enjoyable Experience
Communications Intelligence Collection Operator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 25, 2014
I enjoyed waking up each morning knowing that everyone I worked alongside made a decision that less than 1 percent of Americans make. It motivated me and I'll always have that hardworking spirit that was instilled in me in the Navy
Enjoyable place to work
Nuclear Power School Instructor (Former Employee), Goose Creek, SCJuly 25, 2014
Pros: amazing people, awesome healthcare
Cons: inconsistent hours
My co-workers were amazing people to work with. They believed in helping others excel in their instructing duties. I learned a lot about how the Navy actually functions in the fleet, even though I have never been out to sea.
It is what you make it
Second Class Petty Officer (E-5) (Current Employee), Naval Air Station JacksonvilleJuly 25, 2014
It was definitely an experience. Plenty of pro and cons but overall I got to meet a lot of people and visit a lot of places.

1 2 3 4 5

About U.S. Navy

The US Navy maintains a variety of military equipment like ballistic missile submarines, aircraft carriers, surface warships, – Read more