U.S. Navy

11.3K reviews

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Do your job and stay out of trouble.
Avionics Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Lemoore NAS, CaMarch 20, 2014
Pros: great benefits, steady work
Cons: poor pay
An aircraft cockpit has instruments which are controlled by the Control Boxes stored in the avionics bay in the aircraft. Wires in the aircraft connect all the units together to make the links to which it all worked. When and unit didn't perform correctly, the aircraft technician would pull either the instrument or the control box, replacing it to "fix" the plane. That pulled unit would come to me for repair. I learned to troubleshoot and use logic to find problems and correctly Fix them. I think the highlight of my time there was when I was able to fix the units with no or minimal help. The more units I learned, the more I was able to fix, and that accomplishment was very satisfying. Co-workers came and left and though you got to know one for a while, sooner or later they were gone as was you. And that was the hardest part of the job.
Highly educated janitor/managing a team of janitors
Supervisor, Operator, Technician (Former Employee), Everett, WAJanuary 8, 2014
Overall, glad I did it. Peers were great....actual job, not so much.
Industrial Maintenance
Engineman (Former Employee), Mayport, FLOctober 10, 2013
Pros: traveling
Cons: pay
Auxilary Department on all Engineering equipment onboard USS HUE CITY
Travel the world
Machine Repairman (Former Employee), Everett, WAOctober 7, 2013
I got to do many things that people dream of do in their lifetime. Crossed the International date line and Equator at the same time. Went though the Panama canal.
After 20 years I have seen just about everything
Pilot (Former Employee), On the seven seasJanuary 22, 2013
low pay at first as well as all of the dirty & tedious jobs. Work your way up and all of that goes away. The Navy paid for my education, and sent me to flight school. I am retiring as a helicopter pilot after joining with NO experience. It is what you make of it. There is good and bad with every job, but this one allowed me to see the world. I will surely miss it.
Great on the job training with technical specialist
Petty Officer 2nd Class (Former Employee), Whidbey Island, WAAugust 7, 2012
Pros: professional work environment
Cons: military
Review shop's request for service and pm services. Ensure all spare parts and hi use consumable are available and o/h prior to initiating the xfer of work to tradesmen's. Ensure job plan scope is up to date, working knowledge and relationship with tradesmen. As senior petty officer, manage subordinates in shop in a professional manner and team build. Hardest part of job is scheduling around different dept's & divisions. Best part of job is creating a uniformed system & devising s.o.p for shop.
The most professional enviroment I have ever worked in
Aviation Electronics Technician (Former Employee), traveled the world on aircraft carriersApril 30, 2012
I was an aviation electronics technician. I first mustered up our shop department and went over what planes in our aviation wing needed serviceing and routine class inspections so the pilots were ready to fly missions and aircrafts on a daily mutible run day. serviced all electronic cards, and did internal wiring to service birds. Worked in one of the most dangerous enviroments in the world during all types of pressure and stress and performed on a Aplus level to adapt and overcome to the situation at hand safely professionaly and correctly.
A once in a lifetime, life-changing experience
Operations Specialist (Former Employee), Various Locations, mostly on ships,March 3, 2012
Pros: most everything.
Cons: time away from home/loved ones.
My experience in the Navy wasn't always easy, but it was one of the best times of my life. The US Military takes care of it's people; and these are hard times. Anyone who can find themselves amongst the ranks will have job security and financial independence. You will also have opportunities to go places and see things you have never seen before. The slogan holds true,"Join the Navy, see the world!"
Headquarters