U.S. Embassy

U.S. Embassy Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Professional environment with lots of development opportunities
Cash Management Assistant (Former Employee), Kabul, AfghanistanNovember 25, 2014
As a cash management assistant, I liked my job very much. I was dealing with difference staff level during working hours. For example, I was processing payments to Mr. Ambassador or a cleaner on daily base. I had the chance to offer my customer skills and learn how to deal with some difficult customers.

Our direct supervisors were really supportive – more... and built a learning working environment. In 2013, they facilitated to bring the authorized trainer of “Seven habit of highly effective people” in Kabul. We “the finance office” had a friendly environment.

It was a fun working environment too, we had gym, volleyball and swimming pool facilities. 4th of July each year, there was volleyball match and different departments were competing. – less
productive workplace with direct contact with diplomatic people
Translator (Former Employee), Libreville, Gabon, AfricaNovember 5, 2014
Pros: i was handling and managing on my own a great amount of translation requests, i was working with different services (protocole office, economic, politic, public affairs, general services, management departments...
Cons: i was working in an open office, i needed a lot of concentration to avoid noise (colleagues conversations)
I was translating and reviewing from French to English any official diplomatic notes, official letters from the Republic of Gabon Ministries to the U.S. Embassy, Department of States and Department of Defense, internal management, security and technical notices, economical, political, environmental, legal, medical, military and technical reports, press – more... releases to events and other official ceremonies for the Public Affairs Department and Ambassador's speeches for inauguration, symposiums and ceremonies. I am able to work under a lot of pressure and enabled, during my employment with the U.S. Embassy, critical diplomatic exchanges that advanced U.S. interests and bilateral cooperation with Gabon. I received a Meritorious Honor Award for sustained outstanding performance as U.S. Embassy Libreville's Translator 2012-2014. – less
Productive, professional work place.
Secretary to the Consul General (Former Employee), Riyadh, KSAOctober 23, 2014
Pros: beautiful environment, access to fitness center and lots of benefits
Cons: living in saudi arabia.
Grand place to work. I was so fortunate to work amongst such elite figures. The job wasn't easy, but very worth it. Learned a great deal and enjoyed every minute of it.
perfect work place
Local Guard Force (Former Employee), Bishkek, KyrgyzstanOctober 11, 2014
I left my work at the Embassy just becouse of my moving to the USA.
Financial Management Analyst
Financial Management Analyst (Former Employee), Caracas, VenezuelaSeptember 30, 2014
As a financial management analyst In a tipical day at work, I used to prepare funds submission forms. I learned to prepare budget and statatistics. I had excellent relationship with my officer and co-workers. The hardest part of the job I should say it was to mail all the budget and statistics information to the headquarters.
The most enjoyable part – more... of the job was to prepare my Excel spreadsheets which I used to improve every year to make my work more efficient. – less
Good Times!
Computer Management Assistant (Former Employee), BaghdadSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: gym, free food
Cons: security situation for the local staff
What i really love about working at the Embassy is the professional manner that everybody is into ,you can see people from many nationalities in the world ,yet you deal with them smoothly ,that how we managed the work back at the Embassy.
Fullfilling working with housing
Housing Assistant (Current Employee), Accra, GhanaSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: independent to work as i please
Cons: complaints
Typically, meet with various department heads from facilities Maintenance, GSO, Warehouse and Quality Control to discuss problems, landlord issues, timelines, regulations, protocol, complaints, arrival dates, make readies and any special needs for the 138homes in the pool. Serve as a trusted assistant and liaison to negotiate with the various landlords – more... concerning payments, property conditions, contracts or renovations. Coordinate make readies, conduct make ready/pre departure inspections -surveys, arrange for furniture delivery /inspection, seek new properties, discuss leases, maintain leases, handle complaints, correspondence, email and telephone communication.

Communicating can be tasking especially being the only American working within the housing section. My colleague are locally employed staff (LES) whom I enjoy working with but they primarily want to speak in their local dialect during business hours, in an American setting . My challenge, initially, was gaining the trust and respect of the local men and women (landlords) when discussing business. Likewise, getting them to keep a confirmed appointment and respond to work order requests.
In Accra, Ghana (West Africa), landlords can be very particular as to who they deal with within the housing section. Certain landlords prefer to deal with the only gentleman within the section; another may only want to deal with his or her previous classmate and the remaining only want to deal with me-the American.

I’ve learned to be patient when it comes to change, scheduling appointments and understanding their perspective views on policy and their government. Most importantly, I leaned to respect the Ghanaian culture.

I’m most fulfilled helping others, solving problems, having resolutions and seeing results.

I really enjoy working with such a diverse and colorful network of people. – less
Productive and Good place to work
Administrative and Logistics Security Specialist (Former Employee), BaghdadSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: free meals
Cons: the heat, high temperatures
12 hour days, I learned how to work with different cultures. Management kept us in the know, My co-workers were good people to work with. The hardest part of the job was taking the flight to Baghdad. The most enjoyable part of the job traveling and meeting different people.
Great work experience
Senior Subcontracts Administrator (Current Employee), IraqAugust 13, 2014
Great work experience
Lived in war zone and worked 84 hours per week.
US Embassy
CLO Summer Hire (Former Employee), costa ricaAugust 4, 2014
The US Embassy in San Jose Costa Rica was a beautiful and amazing place for employment.
US State Department Contract
Front line supervisor (FLS) (Former Employee), BaghdadMay 20, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: far from home.
Work week consisted of 7-6 12 hours days for 120 day rotations back home for 14 days vacation.

Extremely demanding but hugely satisfying job.

Responsible for day to day Equipment Maintenance welding on armored and no armored light and heavy trucks including MHE and construction equipment.
very rewarding job
Complex Site Supervisor (Former Employee), BaghdadApril 28, 2014
challenging and exciting job, you work with a lot of knowledgeable people
U.S. Embassy, Lisbon Portugal
COMMUNITY LIAISON COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Lisbon, PortugalApril 1, 2014
Wonderful experience working in a foreign country with the local Nationals as well as State Department employees.
OMG
Security Officer (Former Employee), Tripoli, LibyaFebruary 28, 2014
the best place i ever work for, the embassy was like my home, i really like to work for them again n again.
recommended.
no one is above the law inside this place.
Short term aviation contract
Aviation Safety Inspector (Former Employee), Kabul, AFGJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: brakes (vacation)
Cons: bad air quality
Worked for USAID for 3 years 2010-2013 as a aviation contract oversight inspector. Reviewed contactors work as to there compliance with the Government contract. Worked 6 days a week 8-12 hrs. a day. Was the only maintenance inspector on board for the 3 years that the contract was used. Not a lot that was to enjoyable except the people that were at the – more... Embassy and the Contract personal. – less
Proactive in public relations and protocol
Protocol Assistant (Current Employee), BaghdadJanuary 16, 2014
Protocol and customer service professional with more than 15 years of experience encompassing a career in government and customer service industries. Extensive work in protocol, management, human resources, information technology and quality control. Vast experience in customer service, showcasing ability to work independently with clear judgment and – more... ability to handle a multitude of tasks. Detailed-oriented, flexible, with highly developed multi-cultural skills providing an elevated mastery of communication, diversity awareness and capacity to anticipate people’s needs. – less
worked with great people
Escort/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), DhakaSeptember 13, 2013
The manager and co-workers were great and hard working people.
fun place o work
Consular Assistant (Former Employee), Port-Au- Prince HaitiSeptember 12, 2013
Pros: the fun part is you get to travel and meet new people
Cons: one can be home sick.
as consular assistant my daily job activities include, but not limited to screening , processing and fingerprinting applicant for both non-immigrant and immigrant visas into the United States. I was also in charged of tracking, editing and updating DNA results of foreign nationals alleging familiar relationships with both US citizens as well as legal – more... permanent residents of the United States. In addition I engaged in factual and legal researched as requested by the consular officers. the analytical skills in my position are crucial, because the cases often required discretionary decisions. Our analyses are often based on the authenticity of the documents provided at the interview or that are located In an alien's A -file.. A majority of the cases involves issues dealing with denials of asylum, removals from the United States, and waivers and applications for re-entry after deportation. It remains part of my job to critically analyze the aliens records and testimonies for authenticity as process and collect these documents. – less
Great life at the Embassy, good friends and co-workers
LAN Administrator (Former Employee), Santiago, ChileJuly 31, 2013
It was a really great experience and really a lifetime of work at the Embassy.
The IT section had a great team and a good manager. He really understood what team work was.
All my co-workers and users had a very good attitude and it was a real pleasure to attend.
Internship
CLO Event Coordinator and Designer (Former Employee), La Paz, BoliviaJuly 17, 2013
Pros: event planning
Loved this job it gave me a lot of responsibility. The job had a lot to do with event planning.