U.S. Department of State

U.S. Department of State Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
An interesting experience with lots of cultural/foreign diplomacy exposure
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee), Beijing, ChinaSeptember 14, 2014
Working for the Department of State was certainly interesting and also challenging. Pay was decent and any lack for it was made up with free living and other paid-for expenses. The exposure to different cultures and to diplomatic environments was invaluable.
Excellent vwork experience
Scan Specialist (Former Employee), Washington DCSeptember 12, 2014
Co workers very helpful. Managmenmt always avalible when needed. Enjoyed goin to work everyday
Allowed project design, implementation, and evaluation
English Language Fellow, Education Consultant (Former Employee), IndonesiaSeptember 9, 2014
This job position required a high level of motivation for program outreach, management, and organization. I travelled all over the region to lead and facilitate workshops and conferences for various programs that supported the visions of the U.S. State Department, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). In addition, I taught and supported – more... the faculty members at the Islamic University in Surabaya. – less
U.S. Mission to the United Nations
Diplomatic Security Armed Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 9, 2014
After working so many years at the U.S. Mission overall it was a positive experience working with the Dept of State employees as well as my fellow officers.
Serious, dedicated, hard-working group of professionals
Student Temporary Employee (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 3, 2014
Wonderful opportunities for advancement. Bureaucratic. HR is confusing.
Diverse and educational
Political Advisor (Former Employee), Mazār-e Sharīf, BALAugust 21, 2014
Strong and positive leadership. Here you actually get credit for what you do and there is always the opportunity for promotion.
Government Life
Program Analyst GS (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 20, 2014
I've enjoyed working for the Department of State. It's a challenging, yet rewarding agency. If you are young and interested in travel opportunities, DoS would be a great agency to join.
Front row seat to US foreign policy
Information Management Officer (Current Employee), Virtually every country on the globeAugust 3, 2014
Pros: see the world
Cons: you can fnd small people everywhere
Being able to see strengths and weaknesses of the US Government in their dealings in the middle east. The view from inside is about what the public sees except it is unfiltered by the media. Management does not understand technology and is bound by centuries of historical diplomatic processes.

Intelligence and hard work does make a difference and pays – more... off. At senior levels you have influence and ability to make changes and find job satisfaction.

As a taxpayer, it is hard to sometimes witness the waste, and despite all efforts it goes virtually unchecked. – less
Great
Research Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 28, 2014
I really enjoyed my semester in the State Department. Unfortunately, many of the details are unavailable due to security purposes.
Loved it!!
Office Clerk (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 25, 2014
Pros: lunch time meetings, great area
This was my very first job, it started as a summer job but I stayed on the next summer as an Administrative Assistant/ Clerk/floater. I started answering phones and taking messages and moved to different offices in my section. I learned so many skills there and met a lot of wonderful people
Fastpaced and High Responsibility Workplace
Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 23, 2014
As an intern, the State Department was a great place to gain work experience. I was handed real responsibility, from drafting speeches, letters, and reports to writing background briefs and talking points for Department Officials. I attended and briefed my co-workers on Congressional hearings as well as events hosted by think tanks, and I also assisted – more... my co-workers in organizing a roundtable, as well as other events hosted both in and outside of the State Department. My tasks and projects were well-varied, and I was never bored at work. – less
Flexible
Security Administrator II- Support Contractor (Current Employee), Arlington, VAJune 19, 2014
Flexible schedule
Intern (Current Employee), Beltsville, MDJune 11, 2014
Friendly productive setting.
Hardworking management.
Good benefits/compensation
Hard worker looking for a new opportunity.
IT Security Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 30, 2014
I have over 9 years of federal IT experience. I am looking for a new opportunity.
Small embassy abroad
Political Officer (Former Employee), Asuncion, ParaguayMay 14, 2014
Diplomatic mission in a remote part of South America where few Americans visit.
Searching for opportunity to lead and grow international operations with a growing company.
Chief Financial Officer (Current Employee), Madrid, MDMay 8, 2014
I have been responsible for implementing internal controls and building high performance teams in multiple overseas environments. My areas of expertise include systems implementation, employee development, financial reporting and inventory management. In addition to the English, I am proficient in both Spanish and Indonesian.
Interesting but bureacratic
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 7, 2014
It's always interesting to work directly with foreign policy, but since the organization has become so large, it can take considerable time and effort before a staffer can make any impact.
A unique experience
Strategic Planner and Operations Research Analyst (Former Employee), Iraq and AfghanistanMay 6, 2014
I need to caveat this review and explain I did not have a traditional job with the State Department. They hired me on a limited term basis for work in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I had a positive experience working with the State Department and would return if given the opportunity. They attract many talented people from a variety of backgrounds and I enjoyed – more... working with them. – less
VSFS
Virtual Student Foreign Service e-Intern (Former Employee), VirtualMay 3, 2014
My VSFS experience was great. I learned a lot, was able to make my own hours, and made some great connections.
Adventurous place
Political and Economic Affairs Intern (Former Employee), Vladivostok, RussiaMay 1, 2014
The State Department is an exciting place to work. You never know where you are going to go or what you may be doing the next day. Every day is different. I truly enjoyed my experience as I was able to not only learn a lot about the world beyond myself but also professionally develop skills of speaking, writing and presenting.

1 2 3 4 5