U.S. Department of State

U.S. Department of State Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Best place to intern
Bureau of Human Resources Intern (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 30, 2015
As an intern, you have unlimited acces to all DOS events. I have sat in on numerous panel discussions that I will never forget. Employees regard you as their colleagues instead of interns. Great experience!
Retiring U.S. Diplomat Lauds the Foreign Service
liaison (Current Employee), Washington, D.C.July 21, 2015
I have served eight Secretaries of State and four American presidents from 1990-2015, and cannot praise this career-track enough. I would advise anyone interested in serving his/her country with an eye towards helping to improve the lives of others to consider this line of work. There are myriad opportunities not only to see the world and get to know its fascinating people, but also ways in which to help those less fortunate, while learning from the experience.
Intellectually stimulating and diverse environment
Public Diplomacy Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 15, 2015
Everyone has a passion for the work they are doing, and the department itself is characterized by teamwork and organization. This is an ideal place to work if you are interested in international relations and have solid time management skills.
OKAY!
SECRETARY/ STUDENT (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 15, 2015
Hard to give a great review as I try to remember my experience at the State Department so many years back. However, I do remember being a student and not having much profession support from management.
Great Place to work
Facilities Management Assistant (Current Employee), Recife,PEJune 29, 2015
Great place to work, not much promotions opportunities but Easy job.Needs to improve salary base to american citizens living overseas.
Wonderful Experience
Community Liaison Officer (Former Employee), Oslo, NorwayJune 26, 2015
I had a wonderful time working here over the summer. Great co-workers and staff. Welcoming and really helped me get a handle on my work.
proactive and active with playing cricket
Assistant Head Linguist/Cultural Advisor (Former Employee), Jalalabad, AfghanistanJune 25, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: Healthcare
it was very good i mean everything was great, i really liked to work with them they were great people to work with and wouldn't forget those five years experience that i had with them.
Contracted through DoS
Field Security Technician Supervisor (Current Employee), AfghanistanJune 25, 2015
Great job, the management team and co-workers are wonderful. The hardest part of the job is being away from home. I'm just ready to go home to Alabama and work.
Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 17, 2015
Big department with many moving parts, but its fun to help steer the policy direction of the US Government. Its engaging and challenging.
In need of management overhaul
Assistant General Services Officer (Current Employee), Buenos Aires, BJune 8, 2015
Pros: Family oriented, Travel
Cons: Uncertainty, local instability, lack of effective leadership
A typical day consists of dealing with ineffective management and entitled officers. I have learned that for effective management this organization need additional oversight from the U.S. public. Some of my co-workers where great people, but demoralized by the lack of senior level support. The hardest part of the job was seeing the amount of waste and ineffectiveness throughout the organization. The most enjoyable part was feeling like I was supporting the U.S. Government's mission abroad.
Great Experience
Special Agent/Regional Security Officer (Current Employee), Saudi ArabiaJune 8, 2015
Always learning and great management experience. I enjoy the challenges presented to me and my team everyday and look forward to future opportunities bring my experiences to the private sector.
Productive place to work
Economic Secretary (Current Employee), Manila, PhilippinesJune 1, 2015
The U.S. Department of State is a great place to work. I have learned many aspects of my current position working here, that will help me to provide great support to another company.
State Department
Human Resources Specialist, GS-201-12 (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 13, 2015
Pros: Friendly coworkers and staff, work-place flexibilities, I had the opportunity to work abroad.
Cons: I had some regrets on not joining the foreign service at the State Department, when I had the opportunity to convert, moving every 2-3. years, uprooting and facing world challenges of culture shock.
I independently processed a full range of personnel actions. prepared reports and correspondence to produce statistical data.

I learned to process both Foreign Service and domestic Civil Service employee actions.

My co-workers were great and easy to get along with while serving 18 years at the department.

I acquired the knowledge and skills and became the awards coordinator for the bureau. I took the required training and became the mentoring and bureau facilitator for the State Department Bureau of African Affairs.

The hardest part of the job was serving in a dual position as back-up employee payroll specialist without having any prior formal training from outside sources. I trained myself by researching and interpreting rules regulations and taking notes from the lead payroll specialist.

I miss being employed by the State Department there were many opportunities for career advancements.
Meaningful work, Impacting US Foreign Policy
Management Advisor (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 27, 2015
Great place to work and learn about US Foreign Policy. Provides opportunities to excel and grow with a a variety of different work environments.
Great internship
Intern/Foreign Service Trainee (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 19, 2015
I liked this internship. Can't overstate the value of working at State to see how the world works. A truly enjoyable experience.
Interesting and Impactful Place to Work
Foreign Affairs Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Overseas Travel
Cons: Lack of innovation, work-life balance
DOS offers interesting work with overseas travel, policy significance, and overall high job satisfaction. Teams are comprised of intelligent employees with high levels of committment and integrity. I've learned the skills of diplomacy, coalition building, leadership, foreign affairs, and management.
Great internship
Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 9, 2015
Maintained spreadsheets using Excel for client information. Helped anyone in the office with Microsoft Excel. Very great work environment.
Bureaucracy & Foreign Service Officers
Visitor Bureau Coordinator (Former Employee), Islamabad, PakistanFebruary 19, 2015
The bureaucracy of government is difficult but working with Foreign Officers overseas was a treat. I wish I was cut out for living overseas, I would love to work in an Embassy again.
Meaningful and interesting work
Deputy Team Leader (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 18, 2015
The work is meaningful and interesting. You have the opportunity to work with some great colleagues. There are lots of opportunities to travel to interesting places.
Overall a good experience
TESTER & EXAMINER (CONTRACTOR) (Current Employee), Washington DCJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: good work-life balance
Cons: too hierarchical
Evaluate FSI students language command in regards to job requirements and duties. Rate students ability to comprehend and speak in foreign languages. A typical day at work starts at 07:30 and finishes at 04:15. I give 2 exams a day and prepare materials for the following day in the afternoon.

1 2 3 4 5