U.S. Department of State Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Linguist / Cultural Adviser (Former Employee), Karbala, IraqAugust 27, 2015
Fun workplace with a sport gum a swimming pool and a lot of activity's you do in which makes the time go faster you can also do some shipping with many stores in comp.
Challenging, motivating, international experience
Senior Coordinator for Nuclear Safety (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 18, 2015
Career-wise the most stimulating and challenging job. Long hours, but rewarded by opportunities to really do something and make the world a better place.
U.S. Department of State (Radio Programs Branch)
System Administrator (Current Employee), Springfield, VAAugust 15, 2015
Pros: World Travel
Cons: Being on the road too long
I was hired for the Department of State Radio Programs Branch as the systems administrator to manage a small sub network with 75 users that was part of a the largest global network. This position changed over the years with more responsibilities and facets. Eventually I was trained as a Radio Technician to assist in the world wide replacement of radios at US Embassies. This new position was more of my daily work then computer networking and was very rewarding.
Dynamic environment
Intern (Current Employee), Washington DCAugust 12, 2015
The Department of State is a great workplace that pushes you to do your best in service of the United States of America. There are diplomacy events hosted daily at the Harry S. Truman building. Management is also very helpful.
Relaxed and interesting
Senator or Secretary visits (Current Employee), londonAugust 12, 2015
Pros: interesting
Cons: not challenging enough
The job that I do in my current department is most interesting and full of surprises. Not one day is the same as the previous one.
I have been given the chance to work on different areas and lear more about Department of State
Bureaucratic But Full of Opportunities
Marketing Director (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 11, 2015
I've had a great opportunity to bring innovative thinking to the office in which I work. I had to use my collective knowledge and relationship building expertise to negotiate and navigate this Federal bureaucracy. However, with persistence, flexibility, and vision, I was able to produce great work of which I'm proud and, more importantly, has contributed to the success of specific organization objectives.
Great Place to Work
Operations Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 5, 2015
This organization is a great place to work. Great culture and high level of professionalism. No complaints from this employee!
Best place to intern
Bureau of Human Resources Intern (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 30, 2015
As an intern, you have unlimited acces to all DOS events. I have sat in on numerous panel discussions that I will never forget. Employees regard you as their colleagues instead of interns. Great experience!
Retiring U.S. Diplomat Lauds the Foreign Service
liaison (Current Employee), Washington, D.C.July 21, 2015
I have served eight Secretaries of State and four American presidents from 1990-2015, and cannot praise this career-track enough. I would advise anyone interested in serving his/her country with an eye towards helping to improve the lives of others to consider this line of work. There are myriad opportunities not only to see the world and get to know its fascinating people, but also ways in which to help those less fortunate, while learning from the experience.
Intellectually stimulating and diverse environment
Public Diplomacy Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 15, 2015
Everyone has a passion for the work they are doing, and the department itself is characterized by teamwork and organization. This is an ideal place to work if you are interested in international relations and have solid time management skills.
OKAY!
SECRETARY/ STUDENT (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 15, 2015
Hard to give a great review as I try to remember my experience at the State Department so many years back. However, I do remember being a student and not having much profession support from management.
Great Place to work
Facilities Management Assistant (Current Employee), Recife,PEJune 29, 2015
Great place to work, not much promotions opportunities but Easy job.Needs to improve salary base to american citizens living overseas.
Wonderful Experience
Community Liaison Officer (Former Employee), Oslo, NorwayJune 26, 2015
I had a wonderful time working here over the summer. Great co-workers and staff. Welcoming and really helped me get a handle on my work.
proactive and active with playing cricket
Assistant Head Linguist/Cultural Advisor (Former Employee), Jalalabad, AfghanistanJune 25, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: Healthcare
it was very good i mean everything was great, i really liked to work with them they were great people to work with and wouldn't forget those five years experience that i had with them.
Contracted through DoS
Field Security Technician Supervisor (Current Employee), AfghanistanJune 25, 2015
Great job, the management team and co-workers are wonderful. The hardest part of the job is being away from home. I'm just ready to go home to Alabama and work.
Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 17, 2015
Big department with many moving parts, but its fun to help steer the policy direction of the US Government. Its engaging and challenging.
In need of management overhaul
Assistant General Services Officer (Current Employee), Buenos Aires, BJune 8, 2015
Pros: Family oriented, Travel
Cons: Uncertainty, local instability, lack of effective leadership
A typical day consists of dealing with ineffective management and entitled officers. I have learned that for effective management this organization need additional oversight from the U.S. public. Some of my co-workers where great people, but demoralized by the lack of senior level support. The hardest part of the job was seeing the amount of waste and ineffectiveness throughout the organization. The most enjoyable part was feeling like I was supporting the U.S. Government's mission abroad.
Great Experience
Special Agent/Regional Security Officer (Current Employee), Saudi ArabiaJune 8, 2015
Always learning and great management experience. I enjoy the challenges presented to me and my team everyday and look forward to future opportunities bring my experiences to the private sector.
Productive place to work
Economic Secretary (Current Employee), Manila, PhilippinesJune 1, 2015
The U.S. Department of State is a great place to work. I have learned many aspects of my current position working here, that will help me to provide great support to another company.
State Department
Human Resources Specialist, GS-201-12 (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 13, 2015
Pros: Friendly coworkers and staff, work-place flexibilities, I had the opportunity to work abroad.
Cons: I had some regrets on not joining the foreign service at the State Department, when I had the opportunity to convert, moving every 2-3. years, uprooting and facing world challenges of culture shock.
I independently processed a full range of personnel actions. prepared reports and correspondence to produce statistical data.

I learned to process both Foreign Service and domestic Civil Service employee actions.

My co-workers were great and easy to get along with while serving 18 years at the department.

I acquired the knowledge and skills and became the awards coordinator for the bureau. I took the required training and became the mentoring and bureau facilitator for the State Department Bureau of African Affairs.

The hardest part of the job was serving in a dual position as back-up employee payroll specialist without having any prior formal training from outside sources. I trained myself by researching and interpreting rules regulations and taking notes from the lead payroll specialist.

I miss being employed by the State Department there were many opportunities for career advancements.