U.S. Department of State

U.S. Department of State Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Challenging, dynamic and fulfilling work within an international public health leading USG agency
COUNTRY LEAD (Current Employee), Washington, DCDecember 3, 2014
Pros: travel and observed federal holidays
Cons: short fuse tasks and abundance of daily meetings, deadlines and duties.
No two days are the same. Daily tasks include triaging requests for information, trouble shooting a myriad of programmatic and financial issues, procuring technical assistance and daily interaction with on the ground team as well as various interagency senior management.

Great environment for learning about USG's foreign policy as it relates to its – more... International HIV/AIDS response and funding.

Diverse staff from all walks of life and professional backgrounds working towards a common goal of containing the HIV epidemic with global partners.

Work life balance is a challenge both because of the demands of the job and travel.

Co-workers are an amazing group of dedicated, smart, passionate and team oriented professionals. Many turned out to be mentors and close friends. – less
Productive and interesting workplace with creative and dedicated colleagues.
Program Assistant, contractor through MSAG (Current Employee), Washington, DCNovember 19, 2014
The Department of State office where I am currently embedded as a contractor handles all the foreign assistance resources for the Department of State and USAID. The office is very fast paced in order to balance many competing funding and analytical demands and meet very challenging budget deadlines.
The U.S. Department of State is a Great Place to Work.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 7, 2014
Pros: all of the co-workers are wonderful.
Cons: not applicable.
The U.S. Department of State is Truly Great Place to Work. All of the co-workers are wonderful.
Multi faceted organization
Office Management Specialist (Current Employee), Washington, DCOctober 28, 2014
Pros: networks, meeting awesome people
I really enjoy working here. The people are great and the environment is exciting.
A lot of International Experience
Honduras Desk Officer (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 13, 2014
Great co-workers. The place makes it hard to balance life and work, however the exposure to policy makers and how policy is made is fantastic.
Great Experience!
Pathways Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 28, 2014
Pros: good pay, free lunch, long breaks
The Department of State is a wonderful place, that I have worked for 3 years. It was a job that was informative and gratifying. I loved my work. Me and my coworkers have formed life long bonds and stay in communication. I had a great experience.
productive and fun work place
Chinese Instructor (Current Employee), Arlington, VASeptember 18, 2014
work 8 hours per day and five days per week.
friendly colleagues
Life as a Contractor in Iraq.
Security Specialist/Operations Chief (Former Employee), Erbil, Iraq, Kirkuk, Iraq, and Basrah, IraqSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: working with outstanding people and being well compensated.
Cons: being away from loved ones.
Working overseas supporting the State Department(US Embassy) in Iraq was quite a challenge and involved a lot of personal sacrifice. Deploying for three months at a time required one to be motivated, disciplined, capable of making decisions in stressful situations, and still managing a family life that was thousands of miles away.

A typical workday – more... (which was everyday except maybe Friday), involved ensuring that all teams scheduled to participate in missions had necessary information regarding said missions such as event, venue, client, intel reports and threat analyses, as well as individual team roles in the execution of the mission. During the execution of the missions, my role was simply to keep Teams and my superiors informed of any significant changes that may affect personnel safety or security. At the end of the day, after action reports were discussed if there were any significant incidents or lessons learned, otherwise, it was a simple briefing of the following days schedule and execution of those missions.

In nine years of working for the US Embassy in Iraq, I was able to hone skills such as conflict resolution, threat assessment, mission planning, staff supervision, classroom instruction, coaching and mentoring, conducting site surveys, executive briefing/reporting and maintaining client relations.

The hardest part of the job was easily isolation from everything that most people see as everyday living. Being away from family and having a life outside of work isn't always an easy adjustment to make which is were good co-workers and good managers and leaders come in. I was fortunate enough to have worked with and mentored by very good leaders. Leaders who have taught me the fine balance of mission accomplishment and taking care of those in your charge.

The most enjoyable part of the work for me, aside from the satisfaction of serving my country, was being around people who genuinely cared about each other. Being around people who would die to protect you and for whom I would do the same is an invaluable experience. – less
An interesting experience with lots of cultural/foreign diplomacy exposure
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee), Beijing, ChinaSeptember 14, 2014
Working for the Department of State was certainly interesting and also challenging. Pay was decent and any lack for it was made up with free living and other paid-for expenses. The exposure to different cultures and to diplomatic environments was invaluable.
Fantastic Internship
Intern (Former Employee), Washington DCSeptember 12, 2014
I interned in the Bureau of International Security and Nonproliferation and I could not have asked for a better internship. I was always busy and had real tangible work that I could say was mine. No "intern work" but real applicable work.
Excellent vwork experience
Scan Specialist (Former Employee), Washington DCSeptember 12, 2014
Co workers very helpful. Managmenmt always avalible when needed. Enjoyed goin to work everyday
Allowed project design, implementation, and evaluation
English Language Fellow, Education Consultant (Former Employee), IndonesiaSeptember 9, 2014
This job position required a high level of motivation for program outreach, management, and organization. I travelled all over the region to lead and facilitate workshops and conferences for various programs that supported the visions of the U.S. State Department, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). In addition, I taught and supported – more... the faculty members at the Islamic University in Surabaya. – less
U.S. Mission to the United Nations
Diplomatic Security Armed Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 9, 2014
After working so many years at the U.S. Mission overall it was a positive experience working with the Dept of State employees as well as my fellow officers.
Serious, dedicated, hard-working group of professionals
Student Temporary Employee (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 3, 2014
Wonderful opportunities for advancement. Bureaucratic. HR is confusing.
Diverse and educational
Political Advisor (Former Employee), Mazār-e Sharīf, BALAugust 21, 2014
Strong and positive leadership. Here you actually get credit for what you do and there is always the opportunity for promotion.
Government Life
Program Analyst GS (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 20, 2014
I've enjoyed working for the Department of State. It's a challenging, yet rewarding agency. If you are young and interested in travel opportunities, DoS would be a great agency to join.
Front row seat to US foreign policy
Information Management Officer (Current Employee), Virtually every country on the globeAugust 3, 2014
Pros: see the world
Cons: you can fnd small people everywhere
Being able to see strengths and weaknesses of the US Government in their dealings in the middle east. The view from inside is about what the public sees except it is unfiltered by the media. Management does not understand technology and is bound by centuries of historical diplomatic processes.

Intelligence and hard work does make a difference and pays – more... off. At senior levels you have influence and ability to make changes and find job satisfaction.

As a taxpayer, it is hard to sometimes witness the waste, and despite all efforts it goes virtually unchecked. – less
Great
Research Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 28, 2014
I really enjoyed my semester in the State Department. Unfortunately, many of the details are unavailable due to security purposes.
Loved it!!
Office Clerk (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 25, 2014
Pros: lunch time meetings, great area
This was my very first job, it started as a summer job but I stayed on the next summer as an Administrative Assistant/ Clerk/floater. I started answering phones and taking messages and moved to different offices in my section. I learned so many skills there and met a lot of wonderful people
Fastpaced and High Responsibility Workplace
Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 23, 2014
As an intern, the State Department was a great place to gain work experience. I was handed real responsibility, from drafting speeches, letters, and reports to writing background briefs and talking points for Department Officials. I attended and briefed my co-workers on Congressional hearings as well as events hosted by think tanks, and I also assisted – more... my co-workers in organizing a roundtable, as well as other events hosted both in and outside of the State Department. My tasks and projects were well-varied, and I was never bored at work. – less

1 2 3 4 5