U-Haul

U-Haul Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Hate this job.
Uhaul Dealer, employee (Current Employee), Blairsville, GASeptember 15, 2014
Cons: working in the rain, lifting heavy equipment by yourself, everything
Uhaul is a joke company to work for. I don't even get paid for working for them.
in resume
My title was Field Relief manager (Former Employee), Spokane, WASeptember 11, 2014
Its a good company. But I was unwilling to work 7 days a week. Salary positions are overworked.
Uhauls is a nice place, but its not for everyone
CSR (Former Employee), South Bend, INSeptember 11, 2014
Uhaul, is only going to give you part time hours unless you are management, their benefits are overpriced for the little that you get. Most of the local managers are great people, but you will frequently end up being chewed out for things you had no control over by people in other departments. All in all it is a good place to start out and learn sales – more... and customer service, but making a life long career out of it is not for the thin skinned. – less
Productive and fun workplace.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Kent, OHSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: not enough hours
Typical day at U-Haul is very fast paced. Lots of diversity in customers. Learn something new every day.
fun place but hard work
Customer Service (Former Employee), Hixson, TNSeptember 8, 2014
loved the job just didnt pay enough. loved the people i worked with.
not that fun of a place to work
Housekeeper (Current Employee), Ann Arbor, MISeptember 6, 2014
the guys there are rudeand sloppy. they dont like to listen to managment but did have fexable hours.
Loved it
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Haltom City texasSeptember 4, 2014
The company is awesome to work for. The customers can be a handful sometimes but as long as you are a people person you will do just fine. I only had this job for spare money and I had so much fun with my co workers that I wanted to make this my full time job.
Informative and Interesting
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDSeptember 3, 2014
Gain a firm understanding of sales, stocking, inventory, multi-line phone, people skills, and maintanice.
Great group of people to work with
General Manager (Current Employee), Harrisburg, PASeptember 1, 2014
Pros: the people
Cons: 6 day work week no home life.
Good job way to many hours job/life balance is not there. Co-workers are the best. Best part is I love the fact there is a new things happening daily. The customer are the most enjoyable part of my .
Fast Pace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 31, 2014
I would set up future rental reservations and get customers the proper truck size and equipment to accommodate their needs.
Very Productive fun and familylike workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Tupelo, MSAugust 30, 2014
Pros: flexability in work hours
Cons: sometimes not enough employees on schedule for the amout of work need to be done in a days work.
Working with Uhaul has been a great experience... Great management and enviroment... The company over great benefits to employees and is always willing to work with employess on scheduled... I would recommend this company to anyone who is looking for a great job and company that is like family.
best traffic department in FL
Reservation Manager -Maritza Blanco (Former Employee), Miami, FLAugust 29, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
great people, great supervisor, GREAT place to be, not only a job but also a FAMILY.
Work From Home
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Former Employee), Phoenix,AZAugust 28, 2014
Pros: very understanding company
Cons: benefits for full time employees
I loved working for Uhaul. The hours are flexible and open. With Uhaul I made reservations, also assist customers with existing reservations. I was able to help customers get what needed during such a stressful time in there life.
productive and fun workplace
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee), Hyattsville, MDAugust 27, 2014
Learned repair different trucks work and typical work every day.
need to be more customer base
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Dothan, ALAugust 27, 2014
need to be able to pay parttime help better to keep them. to have equipment on lot for customers. train their work at home call agents better to know what the are telling the customers
Good Job
Account Manager (Former Employee), phx.AZAugust 21, 2014
It was a good job, the management was great. I enjoyed working there
Exciting meeting new people and business relations
Customer Service/Driving Assistant (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNAugust 21, 2014
Pros: flexible shifts, holidays off
The experience working with Boone Container Inc./U-Haul has been a great learning tool. I've learned to work multiple office programs gaining knowledge in dispatching trucks for roll-off containers and sending trucks to the great lower 48 states. The management has been very understanding and patient with teaching me the ropes and my co-workers have – more... been a pleasure to work with as well. The most difficult part of the position is when the time of the year comes where majority of people move and the lines get longer and longer. All in all it gives me great pleasure to know that my position has helped families in a time of need. – less
You work very hard
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Kirkland, WAAugust 20, 2014
Pros: some of my coworker
Cons: work your butte off with no thanks
Well you work very hard and that's not good enough they want more,for very little pay $9.25.
Good Place to work
Customer Service Sales Representative (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 19, 2014
I think Kohl's is a nice environment to work at. The coworkers are friendly and everyone gets along.
Overworked, Underpaid Employees Buttress Messy Monolith
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), IAAugust 18, 2014
Pros: makes you appreciate other jobs
Cons: realizing that corporations can be bullies
Customer Service Representative is a misnomer. Employees are not properly trained for customer service and spend most of their time cleaning, inspecting, and repairing worn out equipment. The small amount of time spent inside the office requires employees to explain Kafkaesque corporate missteps to customers who are queued out the door, all while answering – more... phone calls and helping incompetent co-workers. The worst part is that the customers aren't valued by corporate, and would-be outgoing employees must acquiesce to/defend a substandard paradigm.

The only reasons why U-haul is still in business:

1. Labor: People who are willing to work like dogs for the "reward" of employment status and $9/hour (me) are a sad and exploited reality.

2. Market: U-haul has created a quasi-monopoly leaving customers with few other options.

3. Resources: Name recognition. Check. Huge amounts of capital to invest. Check. Economies of scale. Check.

Nearly 70 years of momentum is pushing this arcane corporation along.

Position-power-hungry GM's willing to work 60 hours/week for $35k/year provide low-mentality leadership to aforementioned employees.

Further, typical corporate absurdities ensue. Hours are fudged to avoid overtime pay. 10-14 hour shifts don't include (ANY) breaks. Customers who make reservations online are "guaranteed" equipment that doesn't exist. Managers arrive late and leave early and when they make mistakes, their employees are left to fix them. Managers lie about sharing corporate bonuses with employees. Tools that are provided are cheap (I once worked as a mechanic).
And of course, incompetent employees/managers are never fired because their superiors are either too averse to confrontation, or are aware that proper replacements are too intelligent to work here.

And if that's not enough, recently minted U-haul billionaire Joe Shoen "borrowed" company money to purchase company assets (self-storage real estate) under his own name... which are now managed by company resources. Even though he does pay for the management, as a shareholder I'd be wary of the CEO's intentions. Especially when such liberal use of millions of corporate dollars results in such personal gain.

But hey, if all you care about is the stock price, this company is great. – less

About U-Haul

U-Haul International, Inc. is an American equipment rental company, based in Phoenix, Arizona, that has been in operation since – Read more