U-Haul Employee Reviews

exciting
Area Field Manager (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON26 November 2013
everyday is a challenge, , learn to wire trailers, meet new people
Beware! Stay away from this company
CSR (Former Employee) –  surrey, bc22 April 2014
Work hours schedule varies every week depending on location's budget
They expect you do work more for less pay. Doing a $30/hr type of work but paid minimum wage.
Cheap company, no lunch breaks, trainee status for almost a year with no benefits and raise.
Co-employees just like to work smart and let hard work passed to new trainees.
Company pays you peanuts. That's why they get monkey employees.
CSR asked to do a lot of things in the yard like painting the curb with green, mowing the boulevard, throw trash in dump
Manager does not give equal number of hours to employees. But gives always 40 hours to his favorite even though the location is not busy for the week. Favorite employee just stays inside the store staring at the computer while other CSRs do the hard work outside.
Other CSR do not check and clean the trucks that they dispatch to customers.

Manager schedules favorite employee during special holidays for 1.5 times pay rate.
Uhaul does not pay overtime. If you worked more than 40 hours this week, they will carry over the excess hours for next week.
Uhaul does not welcome labor unions. Most of the employees here are relatives.
It is not an equal opportunity employer. If they don't like the way you look and speak, they will let you do all the hard work in the yard. They will only train those with good looks to handle rental contracts and just let them work smart for the whole day
Some senior csr trainees who are not even asst managers, supervisors or managers will tell you to do the hard works that are supposed to be their job to do it.
Cons
no lunch breaks, no overtime pay, no room for career advancement, minimum wage as a trainee for a long period of time, poor management
lousy pay for fast paced, high stress job
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  2275 Barton st E Hamilton4 June 2014
For such a large, successful corporation, they really could afford to pay their workers better. But they don't and they won't. Their company would benefit - it would be better for customers - if they would hire people for the call center in more areas than just arizona and the one other place they have it, but they won't because of the minimum wage difference. They don't want to pay more than $7/hour to call center employees even if it means giving the wrong information to customers who are put through to the call center when the location they are calling is too busy to answer the phone.

This is a high stress job because it is very fast paced, with tight schedules and stressed out customers. Working in customer service can be grating anyway, but when people are moving, they are very stressed out and can be rude and demanding and impatient. It is very busy. Uhaul's rates are by the day, but come month end, with so many people moving, we would have to charge people the daily rate for their rental, but tell them that they can only have a truck for 8 hours. Its BS.

And the parking lots are TERRIBLE. With all their profits you'd think they'd do a better job of getting a parking lot big enough for all the traffic. I started out at a UHAUL in a small city. The parking lot was so bad. Pot holes everywhere, trucks everywhere and only four parking spots for customers, and hardly any space to turn around. I thought when I moved that the new UHaul location I'd be working at would be better seeing as it was the head office for southwestern ontario. It wasn't! It was
  more... just as bad, if not worse.

I was good at this job because I am good over the phone confirming appointments and dealing with the computer scheduling system and I work well under pressure. I didn't mind actually RUNNING to get trucks for customers when we were busy to get them on their way faster. For working there for over a year I got a 75 cent raise and I'm pretty sure the first 50 cents was just because that when I moved to the new city, they have a higher cost of living so that is their starting off point for anyone.
If they had paid better I probably wouldn't have looked for another job because I work well under stress and my coworkers were nice. But for that lousy pay, it is not a long term career for me.
Pros
challenging, busy, nice coworkers, xmas turkey, if you work there you can move anywhere in north america and have a job lined up
Cons
terrible pay, no benefits, uniforms, rude customers, owner would rather save money even when it means creating problems for customers and employees
Dynamique et complexe
Représentant au service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  st leonard23 April 2016
Travail régulier et gestion d'horaire.
Gestion des stocks
Appel de collection pour les entreposages
Réparation de camions
Entretient de terrain
Service à la clientèle
Gestion de crises
Courtoisie
Gestion du centre d'entreposage.
Emploi mal géré
Service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Montreal-nord, QC18 October 2016
Le boss gère la place très mal. Les employers se laisser a gérer par eux même a la derniere minute.
entreprise correct
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Quebec City, QC21 December 2015
beaucoup de travail agreable, mais management peu reconnaissant, on apprend beaucoup sur divers sujet
Avis personnel
Gérant (Former Employee) –  Québec, QC29 November 2013
La Direction nous demande de travailler au moins 50 heures/semaine et être disponible en tout temps. On se fait déranger 24h/24 régulièrement pour répondre aux clients. C'est un service que nous devons assumer en tant que gérant. Pas toujours évident. Souvent, nous devons travailler plus de 50 heures semaines et nous devons toujours compléter le travail des employés car nous avons un très petit budget employés donc, nous devons travailler seul très régulièrement. Nous devons nous surpasser afin d'atteindre et dépasser à chaque mois nos objectifs. C'est le plus gros défit que j'ai eu en carrière et malgré les conditions difficiles, j'ai réussit à faire 8 ans comme gérant là-bas. En moyenne, un gérant U-Haul reste 2 ans. C'est un poste difficile mais il faut être motiver et travailler fort pour réussir.
Pros
Le défit de surpasser l'attente des clients.
Cons
Doit être disponible tout le temps et on doit faire plus de 50h/sem