U-Haul Employee Reviews

Truck and Storage Rental
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC18 September 2013
Typical day was renting out trucks and storage units. Also cleaning trucks and equipment as it was returned.
worst job i had
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON9 September 2013
always asking for suggestions to improve work, or profits, but refuse to listen to anything. cant get more then part time unless youre management
A great place to work
Area Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, pe19 July 2013
the people you will meet are amazing and i learned so many great skills and had alot of opportunity to advance.
Worst company to work for
CSR/propane attendant/Lot person (Former Employee) –  N.Vancouver5 June 2013
If you get a job it's part time seasonal, never full time.
work involves trucks and maintenance of trucks, so you get dirty, and in this country cold and wet, being outside most of the time, as you run up and down the parking lot getting trucks for customers and receiving returning customers, usually at the same time at month end, when everyone is moving and only 2 on staff. and a computer system that gets hung up, causing extra delays.
You are expected to dispense propane, at same wage, starting at minimum wage..,and staying there. also phoning customers to confirm reservations, schedule the reservations, make excuses to customers that you can't help.. way too much for minimum wage .
Being punctual and doing above and beyond the "call of duty" doesn't help your position. all employees are expected to do closing procedures which include taking deposit to bank on your own time.
Management does not tolerate overtime in any case, so your time card gets adjusted to suit budget restraints.

Pros
some nice people
Cons
bad management
Excellent entry level position
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON12 April 2013
Although I only worked at the Fairway road U-haul for a couple months it was a great learning experience with wonderful staff. I was a service rep at the front desk who was resonsible for scheduling rental's and managing the lot. We received/dispatched vehicles and sold moving supplies. There was also a large self storage facility on site where customers would rent storage units, all in all it was a great environment where managment and staff was generally very supportive. I had a great opportunity to learn and grow within the company as there was a variety of different positions to become involved with. U-haul has a patented online training system called "U-Haul University" where employees where able to take courses to become more skilled and qualified in a number of areas within the company.
Pros
great work environment, solid management, strong growth potential
Cons
low wages, lack of hours.
had a good time with workers.Lots of jokes at work
Facility Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton Ontario4 April 2013
i enjoyed everyday at work. Management was great to work for.
ok
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 March 2013
cleaning reantale equipment
insteling hiches
good
working out side wintter or summer
driving
Cons
Great workplace, good atmosphere. helpful co-workers.
PM Technician (Current Employee) –  Port Moody, BC18 February 2013
I enjoy my time at U-Haul, learning new tasks, gaining more knowledge. brake jobs are done daily, also new repairs are frequently learnt. co-workers are independant but also willing to help if needed.
Lack of professinalism due to the management becoming too involved in employee personal life.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 February 2013
The shift starts with money count making sure the amount is accurate as the books needs to balance at end of shift. Arrange the online reservations received for the current business day, make sure that equipment and rental trucks was in stock and ready. The job requirements made employees be very bondable as the tasks/resposibilities constantly changed and so did the learning curve. Great business and customer management skills were obtained as the customers were very diverse and thus needs were met at different levels. Employee bonds as the team worked great together and complemented eachother.
very good company and the customers are fantastic as well as co-workers
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 February 2013
A typical day at work was usually fairly busy, always had something to do whether it was serving customers, putting stock away, or cleaning, I really enjoyed the co-workers I worked with, we made our day full of fun but always made sure everything got done. The management was not as good (unfortunately) was very rude to the employees and treated them as if they were nothing and didn't know what to do. I don't really think that there was a hard part to this job however it could get very stressful at times.
Pros
awesome co-workers to work with
Cons
bad management
one of the most exciting and challenging jobs
Licensed Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 February 2013
here I spent 4 years in witch time I went from just being a mechanic to relocating and running a shop. I was in charge of all aspects in a garage and over seeing 3 other emploies
fun work place
customer service representative (Current Employee) –  mississauga on3 February 2013
uhaul is a fun and enjoyable company to work with.you'll get to learn alot,stuff u didn't imagine you would do... or be able to do
Pros
experience
Cons
long hours but it's worth it
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 December 2012
a typical day at work manting tracks
what i learned is how to drive 26 foot track will and installing hitches in personal car
your co-workers good working has a team
the hardest part of the job working out side rein or snow
the most enjoyable part of the job is driving the tracks
amazing company
Part time worker (Former Employee) –  toronto2 December 2012
my typical day at Uhaul consisted of assisting customers, answer phones, placing orders, inspect trucks, organizing\stocking merchandise, keeping a cleaning and workable environment. My manager was a great supervisor, she was caring and very clear\direct on what she expected of her employee's. hardest part of my job was completing bookings with customers due to the slow computers and impatient customers.Most enjoyable part was working along side my coworkers, we worked well together and helped eachother making it a fun and easy work environment.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
distance
Hitch Installer
Hitch Installer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 November 2012
To Whom it May Concern,
At UHaul I was employed as a hitch installer.
I assisted customers with hitch appllications and setting up appointments invoiceing finished work.
I was also required to up sell,rent equipment ,hook up trailors.and deal with check ins.Custome complaints
Pros
self supervised, dealing with auto instalations
Cons
poor management in calagery alberta
It was a job.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2012
A lot of the management were shady, negligent, or perpetually rude to their customer support staff... unless they were pretty and had a good figure. Management is mostly male. Females get no advancement at all. Half the people that do advance wind up demoting themselves because there's too much pressure or those higher up than that have some fantastical idea of how much one person can do in a day. Customers are abusive to the staff. The job, itself, has a negative stigma which makes the job far more difficult.
Great place to work for,
Traffic Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 September 2012
I would go into work. gather up what I needed that day then meet with the Marketing Company President and I would go over reports and discuss what needed to be done. I was part of Management, but the other Managers were great to work with. The employess that I had working for me in my department, were great group of people. I had no problems. The hardest part of the job would, is waiting on the shop to get the trucks out of the shop. The most enjoyable would be, at the end of every month, everyone would get together for lunch that was provided by yhe company.
loved working with the public
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Quebec, Canada11 September 2012
i worked as a customer service representitive, i answered phone calls to enter reservations on the computer also delt with face to face reservations, its not very busy but the customers that come in are very nice and patient, the only problem i had with the job was my availabilities were not being respected and that its not busy enough.
Fun environment with fast paced work load
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 August 2012
A typical day starts with checking in trucks and trailers, and checking for damage and logging information. Parking trucks and organizing yard.
After moving so many trucks every day in a small enclosed parking lot I found my driving skills improved a lot.
Everyone was very easy going and fun to work with.
Meeting and helping customers durring stressful times (ie. moving day) was very rewarding.
Pros
friendly staff, easy going enviroment
Cons
lack of recognition, management not open to recommendations
Long hours and unexpected overtime due to staff shortages often
Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 August 2012
Great to help customers in time of need to move, lack of regular mechanic made this location difficult to maintain proper service level. Super co-workers, lack of management was difficult, as no one was there with experience to train new staff. Huge staff turn over, at this time. Poor corporate management at this location. Most enjoyable part of job was helping people solve storage and moving problems in seconds.
Pros
super support staff, we all worked as a family to help other families in need.
Cons
no corporate training or help even when computers crashed.