U-Haul Employee Reviews in Canada

Beware! Stay away from this company
CSR (Former Employee) –  surrey, bcApril 22, 2014
Work hours schedule varies every week depending on location's budget
They expect you do work more for less pay. Doing a $30/hr type of work but paid minimum wage.
Cheap company, no lunch breaks, trainee status for almost a year with no benefits and raise.
Co-employees just like to work smart and let hard work passed to new trainees.
Company pays you peanuts. That's why they get monkey employees.
CSR asked to do a lot of things in the yard like painting the curb with green, mowing the boulevard, throw trash in dump
Manager does not give equal number of hours to employees. But gives always 40 hours to his favorite even though the location is not busy for the week. Favorite employee just stays inside the store staring at the computer while other CSRs do the hard work outside.
Other CSR do not check and clean the trucks that they dispatch to customers.

Manager schedules favorite employee during special holidays for 1.5 times pay rate.
Uhaul does not pay overtime. If you worked more than 40 hours this week, they will carry over the excess hours for next week.
Uhaul does not welcome labor unions. Most of the employees here are relatives.
It is not an equal opportunity employer. If they don't like the way you look and speak, they will let you do all the hard work in the yard. They will only train those with good looks to handle rental contracts and just let them work smart for the whole day
Some senior csr trainees who are not even asst managers, supervisors or managers will tell you to do the hard works that are supposed to be their job to do it.
Cons
no lunch breaks, no overtime pay, no room for career advancement, minimum wage as a trainee for a long period of time, poor management
No security.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 15, 2014
Upper management changes costed the jobs of valuable employees. No consideration for what works in reality. Head office loves to dictate and not experience the everyday torture caused by their negligent demands.
Great part time job
Reservation Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 15, 2014
Great experience in traffic control and working phones. You learn to work in a fast paced and demanding work environment. Management is great, and they provide a supportive working environment.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
can be very demanding and stressful
Interesting
Hitch and Wiring Specialist/ Customer (Former Employee) –  Montreal,QcApril 12, 2014
I was working with a friend, who I have to say was the best boss I have had in many years. However the sad part of the situation was that we had lost many employees in a short time and we were left with three guy. this meant that I was working about 60 hours a week, while my boss was working over 70. and between the two of us we kept the place running.
when I asked for a raise, my boss understood and was more then happy to do so as he knew how hard I was working. however the upper management felt differently. This would be one of my many reasons for leaving
Pros
enjoyed the time i was there
Cons
my pour upper management
Excellent work environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  London, OnFebruary 26, 2014
Uhaul is an excellent place to work with a great team environment.
exciting
Area Field Manager (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONNovember 26, 2013
everyday is a challenge, , learn to wire trailers, meet new people
Uhaul
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 18, 2013
here at U hual we get allot of nice and interacting customers and especially kind customers. the crew i am in are very nice and have been willing to help me gain more experience in serving U haul customers the right and kind way
Truck and Storage Rental
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCSeptember 18, 2013
Typical day was renting out trucks and storage units. Also cleaning trucks and equipment as it was returned.
worst job i had
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONSeptember 9, 2013
always asking for suggestions to improve work, or profits, but refuse to listen to anything. cant get more then part time unless youre management
A great place to work
Area Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, peJuly 19, 2013
the people you will meet are amazing and i learned so many great skills and had alot of opportunity to advance.
Worst company to work for
CSR/propane attendant/Lot person (Former Employee) –  N.VancouverJune 5, 2013
If you get a job it's part time seasonal, never full time.
work involves trucks and maintenance of trucks, so you get dirty, and in this country cold and wet, being outside most of the time, as you run up and down the parking lot getting trucks for customers and receiving returning customers, usually at the same time at month end, when everyone is moving and only 2 on staff. and a computer system that gets hung up, causing extra delays.
You are expected to dispense propane, at same wage, starting at minimum wage..,and staying there. also phoning customers to confirm reservations, schedule the reservations, make excuses to customers that you can't help.. way too much for minimum wage .
Being punctual and doing above and beyond the "call of duty" doesn't help your position. all employees are expected to do closing procedures which include taking deposit to bank on your own time.
Management does not tolerate overtime in any case, so your time card gets adjusted to suit budget restraints.
Pros
some nice people
Cons
bad management
Excellent entry level position
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONApril 12, 2013
Although I only worked at the Fairway road U-haul for a couple months it was a great learning experience with wonderful staff. I was a service rep at the front desk who was resonsible for scheduling rental's and managing the lot. We received/dispatched vehicles and sold moving supplies. There was also a large self storage facility on site where customers would rent storage units, all in all it was a great environment where managment and staff was generally very supportive. I had a great opportunity to learn and grow within the company as there was a variety of different positions to become involved with. U-haul has a patented online training system called "U-Haul University" where employees where able to take courses to become more skilled and qualified in a number of areas within the company.
Pros
great work environment, solid management, strong growth potential
Cons
low wages, lack of hours.
had a good time with workers.Lots of jokes at work
Facility Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton OntarioApril 4, 2013
i enjoyed everyday at work. Management was great to work for.
ok
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 4, 2013
cleaning reantale equipment
insteling hiches
good
working out side wintter or summer
driving
Cons
Great workplace, good atmosphere. helpful co-workers.
PM Technician (Current Employee) –  Port Moody, BCFebruary 18, 2013
I enjoy my time at U-Haul, learning new tasks, gaining more knowledge. brake jobs are done daily, also new repairs are frequently learnt. co-workers are independant but also willing to help if needed.
Lack of professinalism due to the management becoming too involved in employee personal life.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 15, 2013
The shift starts with money count making sure the amount is accurate as the books needs to balance at end of shift. Arrange the online reservations received for the current business day, make sure that equipment and rental trucks was in stock and ready. The job requirements made employees be very bondable as the tasks/resposibilities constantly changed and so did the learning curve. Great business and customer management skills were obtained as the customers were very diverse and thus needs were met at different levels. Employee bonds as the team worked great together and complemented eachother.
very good company and the customers are fantastic as well as co-workers
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2013
A typical day at work was usually fairly busy, always had something to do whether it was serving customers, putting stock away, or cleaning, I really enjoyed the co-workers I worked with, we made our day full of fun but always made sure everything got done. The management was not as good (unfortunately) was very rude to the employees and treated them as if they were nothing and didn't know what to do. I don't really think that there was a hard part to this job however it could get very stressful at times.
Pros
awesome co-workers to work with
Cons
bad management
one of the most exciting and challenging jobs
Licensed Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 9, 2013
here I spent 4 years in witch time I went from just being a mechanic to relocating and running a shop. I was in charge of all aspects in a garage and over seeing 3 other emploies
fun work place
customer service representative (Current Employee) –  mississauga onFebruary 3, 2013
uhaul is a fun and enjoyable company to work with.you'll get to learn alot,stuff u didn't imagine you would do... or be able to do
Pros
experience
Cons
long hours but it's worth it
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 19, 2012
a typical day at work manting tracks
what i learned is how to drive 26 foot track will and installing hitches in personal car
your co-workers good working has a team
the hardest part of the job working out side rein or snow
the most enjoyable part of the job is driving the tracks