U-Haul Employee Reviews

Fun environment with fast paced work load
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 August 2012
A typical day starts with checking in trucks and trailers, and checking for damage and logging information. Parking trucks and organizing yard.
After moving so many trucks every day in a small enclosed parking lot I found my driving skills improved a lot.
Everyone was very easy going and fun to work with.
Meeting and helping customers durring stressful times (ie. moving day) was very rewarding.
Pros
friendly staff, easy going enviroment
Cons
lack of recognition, management not open to recommendations
terrible
Customer service representative and outside labor (Former Employee) –  152 east drive brampton ontario26 April 2015
Madhu at 152 East drive made my U-haul experience theeeeee worst and most unreliable work experience ever. U haul overall is slack and they do nothing to make sure employees are treated fairly.
Pros
sometimes free food
Cons
long hours, underpaid, wanting staff to work in departments they are not supposed to.
Hitch Installer
Hitch Installer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 November 2012
To Whom it May Concern,
At UHaul I was employed as a hitch installer.
I assisted customers with hitch appllications and setting up appointments invoiceing finished work.
I was also required to up sell,rent equipment ,hook up trailors.and deal with check ins.Custome complaints
Pros
self supervised, dealing with auto instalations
Cons
poor management in calagery alberta
great shop,modern equipment
Mobile Repair Specialist, Area Field Manager, (Former Employee) –  dartmouth nova scotia8 July 2012
busy but enjoyable work days, always learned something new each day,management was good,coworkers were great, really wasnt any thing hard about the job,and I enjoyed every moment I worked there
Pros
great shop, great coworkers
Cons
no cons
Good techs, very diversified co-workers
Auto Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 October 2015
Being a brakes specialist it was very repetitive work, with only a few types of trucks to repair Not enough problems to solve
Pros
big on safety
Cons
Not much chance to use all of my skills
Always on the move
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC29 September 2015
Cleaning trucks, doing maintenance on the trucks, maintaining the storage facility and office clean and organized, serving clients on the phone or in person.
A fast paced work enviroment
Truck and Coach Co-op apprentice (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ca22 December 2014
A typical day of work includes preventative maintenance on all vehicles. this includes oil changes, brake inspection and replacement (hydraulic disk and drum), transmission fluid changes (automatic), spark plug replacement, and inspections of the entire vehicle.

I learned a lot about inspections and learning to follow procedures to ensure vehicle repairs.

Co-workers were generally good in a typical day will be more than willing to help train and teach me about proper repair.
Pros
good working environment and hours
Cons
very repetitive ad uhaul only had a few models of trucks to work on
Great part time job
Reservation Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 April 2014
Great experience in traffic control and working phones. You learn to work in a fast paced and demanding work environment. Management is great, and they provide a supportive working environment.
Pros
Flexible Schedules
Cons
Can be very demanding and stressful
lousy pay for fast paced, high stress job
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  2275 Barton st E Hamilton4 June 2014
For such a large, successful corporation, they really could afford to pay their workers better. But they don't and they won't. Their company would benefit - it would be better for customers - if they would hire people for the call center in more areas than just arizona and the one other place they have it, but they won't because of the minimum wage difference. They don't want to pay more than $7/hour to call center employees even if it means giving the wrong information to customers who are put through to the call center when the location they are calling is too busy to answer the phone.

This is a high stress job because it is very fast paced, with tight schedules and stressed out customers. Working in customer service can be grating anyway, but when people are moving, they are very stressed out and can be rude and demanding and impatient. It is very busy. Uhaul's rates are by the day, but come month end, with so many people moving, we would have to charge people the daily rate for their rental, but tell them that they can only have a truck for 8 hours. Its BS.

And the parking lots are TERRIBLE. With all their profits you'd think they'd do a better job of getting a parking lot big enough for all the traffic. I started out at a UHAUL in a small city. The parking lot was so bad. Pot holes everywhere, trucks everywhere and only four parking spots for customers, and hardly any space to turn around. I thought when I moved that the new UHaul location I'd be working at would be better seeing as it was the head office for southwestern ontario. It wasn't! It was
  more... just as bad, if not worse.

I was good at this job because I am good over the phone confirming appointments and dealing with the computer scheduling system and I work well under pressure. I didn't mind actually RUNNING to get trucks for customers when we were busy to get them on their way faster. For working there for over a year I got a 75 cent raise and I'm pretty sure the first 50 cents was just because that when I moved to the new city, they have a higher cost of living so that is their starting off point for anyone.
If they had paid better I probably wouldn't have looked for another job because I work well under stress and my coworkers were nice. But for that lousy pay, it is not a long term career for me.
Pros
challenging, busy, nice coworkers, xmas turkey, if you work there you can move anywhere in north america and have a job lined up
Cons
terrible pay, no benefits, uniforms, rude customers, owner would rather save money even when it means creating problems for customers and employees
Horrible manager.
Csr (Former Employee) –  halifax26 October 2014
The management seems to like to yell at the employees, I would not work the unless there was new manage ment. Unless you like getting literally yelled at in front of customers.
Pros
Great Employees
Cons
management has a big stick
No security.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 April 2014
Upper management changes costed the jobs of valuable employees. No consideration for what works in reality. Head office loves to dictate and not experience the everyday torture caused by their negligent demands.
Great benefits poor salary
Technician (Current Employee) –  victoria19 June 2014
Great benefits poor salary. work very hard for what you earn. great work enviroment and people to work with learned a load of things automotive wise and put my welding skills to use many times
amazing company
Part time worker (Former Employee) –  toronto2 December 2012
my typical day at Uhaul consisted of assisting customers, answer phones, placing orders, inspect trucks, organizing\stocking merchandise, keeping a cleaning and workable environment. My manager was a great supervisor, she was caring and very clear\direct on what she expected of her employee's. hardest part of my job was completing bookings with customers due to the slow computers and impatient customers.Most enjoyable part was working along side my coworkers, we worked well together and helped eachother making it a fun and easy work environment.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
distance
fun work place
customer service representative (Current Employee) –  mississauga on3 February 2013
uhaul is a fun and enjoyable company to work with.you'll get to learn alot,stuff u didn't imagine you would do... or be able to do
Pros
experience
Cons
long hours but it's worth it
worst job i had
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON9 September 2013
always asking for suggestions to improve work, or profits, but refuse to listen to anything. cant get more then part time unless youre management
had a good time with workers.Lots of jokes at work
Facility Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton Ontario4 April 2013
i enjoyed everyday at work. Management was great to work for.
Office Clerk - 2004 - 2006
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta31 March 2015
Learn and use customized accounting program
Accounts payable, audit and correct entries
Issue purchase orders & match to invoices
Use Excel to design dealers’ telephone records
Use Word for various correspondences
General secretarial duties: audit prior employees’ entries, organize, file, answer phones, relay messages, mailing and courier procedures
Pros
Always kept busy
Great company
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 May 2015
U-Haul is a great company to work for. I really have enjoyed working for them this far but I no longer have any advancment oppurtunities.
it was good working with the certain co workers
Customer service Rep. Deal (Former Employee) –  nash & barton26 June 2014
it was typical, normal checks, decent hours, best part was the vehicle check and maintenance, just wanted further into the truck mechanics, co workers were a joke, even if i was working, theyd come out and demand i do other jobs when they just sit and complain or text, etc. i learned tons towards a lot of areas, hard to forget, the odd re study keeps the info i learn.
Pros
drving and cleaning the trucks
Cons
women being the favourite
rough equiptment
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON27 May 2015
I loved running the retail location however most of the equipment Uhaul provided for rentals tended to need some serious TLC which in turn caused many customers to be irate. It did however teach me how to be a problem solver efficiently