U-Haul Employee Reviews in Canada

it was good working with the certain co workers
Customer service Rep. Deal (Former Employee) –  nash & bartonJune 26, 2014
it was typical, normal checks, decent hours, best part was the vehicle check and maintenance, just wanted further into the truck mechanics, co workers were a joke, even if i was working, theyd come out and demand i do other jobs when they just sit and complain or text, etc. i learned tons towards a lot of areas, hard to forget, the odd re study keeps the info i learn.
Pros
drving and cleaning the trucks
Cons
women being the favourite
Great benefits poor salary
Technician (Current Employee) –  victoriaJune 19, 2014
Great benefits poor salary. work very hard for what you earn. great work enviroment and people to work with learned a load of things automotive wise and put my welding skills to use many times
A friendly and productive place to be.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 10, 2014
A day starts by greeting the coworkers and getting warmed up for the daily processes with fun and keeping me on the toes once I step into the yard.
lousy pay for fast paced, high stress job
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  2275 Barton st E HamiltonJune 4, 2014
For such a large, successful corporation, they really could afford to pay their workers better. But they don't and they won't. Their company would benefit - it would be better for customers - if they would hire people for the call center in more areas than just arizona and the one other place they have it, but they won't because of the minimum wage difference. They don't want to pay more than $7/hour to call center employees even if it means giving the wrong information to customers who are put through to the call center when the location they are calling is too busy to answer the phone.

This is a high stress job because it is very fast paced, with tight schedules and stressed out customers. Working in customer service can be grating anyway, but when people are moving, they are very stressed out and can be rude and demanding and impatient. It is very busy. Uhaul's rates are by the day, but come month end, with so many people moving, we would have to charge people the daily rate for their rental, but tell them that they can only have a truck for 8 hours. Its BS.

And the parking lots are TERRIBLE. With all their profits you'd think they'd do a better job of getting a parking lot big enough for all the traffic. I started out at a UHAUL in a small city. The parking lot was so bad. Pot holes everywhere, trucks everywhere and only four parking spots for customers, and hardly any space to turn around. I thought when I moved that the new UHaul location I'd be working at would be better seeing as it was the head office for southwestern ontario. It wasn't! It was just as bad, if not
  more... worse.

I was good at this job because I am good over the phone confirming appointments and dealing with the computer scheduling system and I work well under pressure. I didn't mind actually RUNNING to get trucks for customers when we were busy to get them on their way faster. For working there for over a year I got a 75 cent raise and I'm pretty sure the first 50 cents was just because that when I moved to the new city, they have a higher cost of living so that is their starting off point for anyone.
If they had paid better I probably wouldn't have looked for another job because I work well under stress and my coworkers were nice. But for that lousy pay, it is not a long term career for me.
Pros
challenging, busy, nice coworkers, xmas turkey, if you work there you can move anywhere in north america and have a job lined up
Cons
terrible pay, no benefits, uniforms, rude customers, owner would rather save money even when it means creating problems for customers and employees
Good for part time
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 29, 2014
UHaul is a pretty good place to work, if you are looking for flexibility. Seldom a slow, boring moment while working.
Pros
busy, time goes by quickly. variety, there are plenty of different jobs to do so it doesn't get boring
Cons
hard/dirty work, don't wear nice shoes or clothes, and you're on your feet alot
Nice work place and good management
Hitch Technician (Former Employee) –  winnipeg, MBMay 17, 2014
had a great time at this job but they found a better hitch tech. but fun and good work to be with
Enjoyed it very much
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 8, 2014
Everything culminates to the end of the month where things get really busy.

Relaxed working environment and loved my co-workers.
Beware! Stay away from this company
CSR (Former Employee) –  surrey, bcApril 22, 2014
Work hours schedule varies every week depending on location's budget
They expect you do work more for less pay. Doing a $30/hr type of work but paid minimum wage.
Cheap company, no lunch breaks, trainee status for almost a year with no benefits and raise.
Co-employees just like to work smart and let hard work passed to new trainees.
Company pays you peanuts. That's why they get monkey employees.
CSR asked to do a lot of things in the yard like painting the curb with green, mowing the boulevard, throw trash in dump
Manager does not give equal number of hours to employees. But gives always 40 hours to his favorite even though the location is not busy for the week. Favorite employee just stays inside the store staring at the computer while other CSRs do the hard work outside.
Other CSR do not check and clean the trucks that they dispatch to customers.

Manager schedules favorite employee during special holidays for 1.5 times pay rate.
Uhaul does not pay overtime. If you worked more than 40 hours this week, they will carry over the excess hours for next week.
Uhaul does not welcome labor unions. Most of the employees here are relatives.
It is not an equal opportunity employer. If they don't like the way you look and speak, they will let you do all the hard work in the yard. They will only train those with good looks to handle rental contracts and just let them work smart for the whole day
Some senior csr trainees who are not even asst managers, supervisors or managers will tell you to do the hard works that are supposed to be their job to do it.
Cons
no lunch breaks, no overtime pay, no room for career advancement, minimum wage as a trainee for a long period of time, poor management
No security.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 15, 2014
Upper management changes costed the jobs of valuable employees. No consideration for what works in reality. Head office loves to dictate and not experience the everyday torture caused by their negligent demands.
Great part time job
Reservation Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 15, 2014
Great experience in traffic control and working phones. You learn to work in a fast paced and demanding work environment. Management is great, and they provide a supportive working environment.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
can be very demanding and stressful
Interesting
Hitch and Wiring Specialist/ Customer (Former Employee) –  Montreal,QcApril 12, 2014
I was working with a friend, who I have to say was the best boss I have had in many years. However the sad part of the situation was that we had lost many employees in a short time and we were left with three guy. this meant that I was working about 60 hours a week, while my boss was working over 70. and between the two of us we kept the place running.
when I asked for a raise, my boss understood and was more then happy to do so as he knew how hard I was working. however the upper management felt differently. This would be one of my many reasons for leaving
Pros
enjoyed the time i was there
Cons
my pour upper management
Excellent work environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  London, OnFebruary 26, 2014
Uhaul is an excellent place to work with a great team environment.
exciting
Area Field Manager (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONNovember 26, 2013
everyday is a challenge, , learn to wire trailers, meet new people
Uhaul
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 18, 2013
here at U hual we get allot of nice and interacting customers and especially kind customers. the crew i am in are very nice and have been willing to help me gain more experience in serving U haul customers the right and kind way
Truck and Storage Rental
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCSeptember 18, 2013
Typical day was renting out trucks and storage units. Also cleaning trucks and equipment as it was returned.
worst job i had
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONSeptember 9, 2013
always asking for suggestions to improve work, or profits, but refuse to listen to anything. cant get more then part time unless youre management
A great place to work
Area Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, peJuly 19, 2013
the people you will meet are amazing and i learned so many great skills and had alot of opportunity to advance.
Worst company to work for
CSR/propane attendant/Lot person (Former Employee) –  N.VancouverJune 5, 2013
If you get a job it's part time seasonal, never full time.
work involves trucks and maintenance of trucks, so you get dirty, and in this country cold and wet, being outside most of the time, as you run up and down the parking lot getting trucks for customers and receiving returning customers, usually at the same time at month end, when everyone is moving and only 2 on staff. and a computer system that gets hung up, causing extra delays.
You are expected to dispense propane, at same wage, starting at minimum wage..,and staying there. also phoning customers to confirm reservations, schedule the reservations, make excuses to customers that you can't help.. way too much for minimum wage .
Being punctual and doing above and beyond the "call of duty" doesn't help your position. all employees are expected to do closing procedures which include taking deposit to bank on your own time.
Management does not tolerate overtime in any case, so your time card gets adjusted to suit budget restraints.
Pros
some nice people
Cons
bad management
Excellent entry level position
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONApril 12, 2013
Although I only worked at the Fairway road U-haul for a couple months it was a great learning experience with wonderful staff. I was a service rep at the front desk who was resonsible for scheduling rental's and managing the lot. We received/dispatched vehicles and sold moving supplies. There was also a large self storage facility on site where customers would rent storage units, all in all it was a great environment where managment and staff was generally very supportive. I had a great opportunity to learn and grow within the company as there was a variety of different positions to become involved with. U-haul has a patented online training system called "U-Haul University" where employees where able to take courses to become more skilled and qualified in a number of areas within the company.
Pros
great work environment, solid management, strong growth potential
Cons
low wages, lack of hours.
had a good time with workers.Lots of jokes at work
Facility Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton OntarioApril 4, 2013
i enjoyed everyday at work. Management was great to work for.