U-Haul

U-Haul Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Hate this job.
Uhaul Dealer, employee (Current Employee), Blairsville, GASeptember 15, 2014
Cons: working in the rain, lifting heavy equipment by yourself, everything
Uhaul is a joke company to work for. I don't even get paid for working for them.
Productive and fun workplace.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Kent, OHSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: not enough hours
Typical day at U-Haul is very fast paced. Lots of diversity in customers. Learn something new every day.
not that fun of a place to work
Housekeeper (Current Employee), Ann Arbor, MISeptember 6, 2014
the guys there are rudeand sloppy. they dont like to listen to managment but did have fexable hours.
Informative and Interesting
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDSeptember 3, 2014
Gain a firm understanding of sales, stocking, inventory, multi-line phone, people skills, and maintanice.
Great group of people to work with
General Manager (Current Employee), Harrisburg, PASeptember 1, 2014
Pros: the people
Cons: 6 day work week no home life.
Good job way to many hours job/life balance is not there. Co-workers are the best. Best part is I love the fact there is a new things happening daily. The customer are the most enjoyable part of my .
Fast Pace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 31, 2014
I would set up future rental reservations and get customers the proper truck size and equipment to accommodate their needs.
Very Productive fun and familylike workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Tupelo, MSAugust 30, 2014
Pros: flexability in work hours
Cons: sometimes not enough employees on schedule for the amout of work need to be done in a days work.
Working with Uhaul has been a great experience... Great management and enviroment... The company over great benefits to employees and is always willing to work with employess on scheduled... I would recommend this company to anyone who is looking for a great job and company that is like family.
best traffic department in FL
Reservation Manager -Maritza Blanco (Former Employee), Miami, FLAugust 29, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
great people, great supervisor, GREAT place to be, not only a job but also a FAMILY.
productive and fun workplace
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee), Hyattsville, MDAugust 27, 2014
Learned repair different trucks work and typical work every day.
Good Job
Account Manager (Former Employee), phx.AZAugust 21, 2014
It was a good job, the management was great. I enjoyed working there
Exciting meeting new people and business relations
Customer Service/Driving Assistant (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNAugust 21, 2014
Pros: flexible shifts, holidays off
The experience working with Boone Container Inc./U-Haul has been a great learning tool. I've learned to work multiple office programs gaining knowledge in dispatching trucks for roll-off containers and sending trucks to the great lower 48 states. The management has been very understanding and patient with teaching me the ropes and my co-workers have – more... been a pleasure to work with as well. The most difficult part of the position is when the time of the year comes where majority of people move and the lines get longer and longer. All in all it gives me great pleasure to know that my position has helped families in a time of need. – less
Overworked, Underpaid Employees Buttress Messy Monolith
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), IAAugust 18, 2014
Pros: makes you appreciate other jobs
Cons: realizing that corporations can be bullies
Customer Service Representative is a misnomer. Employees are not properly trained for customer service and spend most of their time cleaning, inspecting, and repairing worn out equipment. The small amount of time spent inside the office requires employees to explain Kafkaesque corporate missteps to customers who are queued out the door, all while answering – more... phone calls and helping incompetent co-workers. The worst part is that the customers aren't valued by corporate, and would-be outgoing employees must acquiesce to/defend a substandard paradigm.

The only reasons why U-haul is still in business:

1. Labor: People who are willing to work like dogs for the "reward" of employment status and $9/hour (me) are a sad and exploited reality.

2. Market: U-haul has created a quasi-monopoly leaving customers with few other options.

3. Resources: Name recognition. Check. Huge amounts of capital to invest. Check. Economies of scale. Check.

Nearly 70 years of momentum is pushing this arcane corporation along.

Position-power-hungry GM's willing to work 60 hours/week for $35k/year provide low-mentality leadership to aforementioned employees.

Further, typical corporate absurdities ensue. Hours are fudged to avoid overtime pay. 10-14 hour shifts don't include (ANY) breaks. Customers who make reservations online are "guaranteed" equipment that doesn't exist. Managers arrive late and leave early and when they make mistakes, their employees are left to fix them. Managers lie about sharing corporate bonuses with employees. Tools that are provided are cheap (I once worked as a mechanic).
And of course, incompetent employees/managers are never fired because their superiors are either too averse to confrontation, or are aware that proper replacements are too intelligent to work here.

And if that's not enough, recently minted U-haul billionaire Joe Shoen "borrowed" company money to purchase company assets (self-storage real estate) under his own name... which are now managed by company resources. Even though he does pay for the management, as a shareholder I'd be wary of the CEO's intentions. Especially when such liberal use of millions of corporate dollars results in such personal gain.

But hey, if all you care about is the stock price, this company is great. – less
everyday
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Bolingbrook, ILAugust 18, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: a lot of work for min wage
Schedule reservations, rent and return trucks and trailers, rent storage units, help customers
Work satisfaction depends on the department.
Map Program Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 18, 2014
I don't want to spend time on this. The company headquarters are generally operated well. The company also learns from its mistakes and take a proactive approach to improving its procedures.
fun , love this company
Customer service - Team Lead (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVAugust 14, 2014
Cons: not enough hours, pay is extremely low
Management is good , learned a lot from working here customer service wise. the hardest part of the job is going home every night because once you are there you never want to leave.
fun workplace
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHAugust 12, 2014
You meet a lot of new people, co-worker hard worker I learn a lot of new things.
Overall positive experience with a lot of room to grow.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Salem, ORAugust 10, 2014
The environment at U-Haul was very positive. This job gave me the opportunity to learn a wide array of new skills through the U-Haul University program. Every day was an opportunity to use creative problem solving skills to meet an end. Whether it was finding a way to make a disgruntled customer happy, or organizing the lot, this is a place for people – more... who want a little challenge. U-Haul is a great place to work, but the busiest days of the week are the weekend, and the busiest part of each day was typically the last hour of business. That's the nature of working in Customer Service, though. It can eat into your time off. – less
Work From Home
Center Sales and Reservation Agent (Current Employee), WFHAugust 9, 2014
• Responsible for making equipment rental reservations.
• Provide customer service for various customer inquiries.
• Take an average of 80-100 calls daily.
• Assist customers with various billing inquires.
fun workplace
General Manager (Former Employee), Gardena, CAAugust 6, 2014
Pros: monthly meetings
Cons: short breaks
great company to work for. very fast paced environment. Learned how to work in a team with awesome co-workers. The hardest part of my job was to satisfy every customer. the most enjoyable was seeing a satisfied customer walking out the door.
Productive company enjoy helping others
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 3, 2014
Pros: bouses
Cons: not enough money
Since I been with the company, I had the experience of how to run a company, I enjoy helping the customer at the most stressful time, (moving). I work with a team here at U haul, sometime it get to be a challange. but we make it through. i do not like the end of the months due to we do not have enough equipment to services everyone in Houston.

About U-Haul

U-Haul International, Inc. is an American equipment rental company, based in Phoenix, Arizona, that has been in operation since – Read more