U-Haul Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Lip Service
Transfer Driver (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 1, 2015
Pros: None.
Cons: Long hours.
No training provided, or piecemeal at best, given only when someone messes up on the job.

The management only pays lip service to being safe on the job, and on the roads. Time is closely monitored and tracked. This puts pressure on drivers to drive at unsafe speeds above the speed limit. Drivers are questioned and looked at with suspicion if traffic makes the trip longer. Job termination without explanation.

Work takes priority over personal life when volume of work is high. Some accommodation given to personal life when it's convenient for the company.
Office Clerk - 2004 - 2006
Office Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaMarch 31, 2015
Pros: Always kept busy
Learn and use customized accounting program
Accounts payable, audit and correct entries
Issue purchase orders & match to invoices
Use Excel to design dealers’ telephone records
Use Word for various correspondences
General secretarial duties: audit prior employees’ entries, organize, file, answer phones, relay messages, mailing and courier procedures
lots to do
Customer Service Rep/Cashier (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 18, 2015
Pros: the customers
Cons: long days
checking cash drawers check in equipment open store check for reservations clean truck as required check storage locker for damage I learn a lot about maintenance of vehicles
Not very good pay, or job security.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 11, 2015
worked with them for almost 2 years and was let go from one day to the next due to work/family life balance. was trying to work around a shift due to a big event in my life and because of that was let go without an explanation and was blocked to never work for the company again. Was let go so unprofessionally that i was part of management staff and was told by my staff that i didn't work there anymore and on top of that still have the keys for the location. As much as i had a great relationship with most staff and customers one family event that they didn't want to give me the time off for they very unprofessionally let me go.
Great experiance with tough tasks
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), London, ONFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: time to study and do homework
Cons: lots of injuries came with the job
I loved my time at U-Haul. I dealt with alot of situations in a day, but i always found new ways to achieve optimal customer satisfaction. I loved working my supervisor, he was very understanding and was always there to give advice when i needed help.
Caring and fun work enviroment
Customer Services Representative (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 23, 2015
the manager was always available if anyone needed any help, always gave a lot of hours, and was also flexible with hours.
Great people, poor company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Surrey, BCDecember 29, 2014
Managers were great. Work was really difficult. Shifts were constantly changed. Almost minimum wage. Holidays were pretty lenient. Lunch break is whenever there's time. Learned a lot about vehicles and how to talk to people. Lots of office work along with helping customers.
A fast paced work enviroment
Truck and Coach Co-op apprentice (Former Employee), Brampton, caDecember 22, 2014
Pros: good working environment and hours
Cons: very repetitive ad uhaul only had a few models of trucks to work on
A typical day of work includes preventative maintenance on all vehicles. this includes oil changes, brake inspection and replacement (hydraulic disk and drum), transmission fluid changes (automatic), spark plug replacement, and inspections of the entire vehicle.

I learned a lot about inspections and learning to follow procedures to ensure vehicle repairs.

Co-workers were generally good in a typical day will be more than willing to help train and teach me about proper repair.
FAST PACED ,HARD WORK= FAST DAYS!!dont work at surrey branch
csr (Former Employee), surrey ,BCDecember 12, 2014
Cons: terrible and poorly run, managed horribly
I was told i was doing well ,let go next day without cause,i should have realized that when you lose over 4 employees in lees than a month that i should not have hired on,beware of this location!!!company on the whole ...GREAT!
Horrible manager.
Csr (Former Employee), halifaxOctober 26, 2014
Pros: great employees
Cons: management has a big stick
The management seems to like to yell at the employees, I would not work the unless there was new manage ment. Unless you like getting literally yelled at in front of customers.
Student job
Commis (Former Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 20, 2014
Pros: i could relax while working
Cons: very low income
It was pleasant to work there while finishing my studies. It wasn't too demanding so I could easily get everything done without having to break a sweat. Of course, I wouldn't dream of working there my whole life. I need to be constantly challenged.
Good company
Project manager, Building and fire codes (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 17, 2014
Pros: good people
Cons: some travel
All around good people. Some travel, heavy work load. This is a good thing. Days go by quick.
decent job, managementok.
hitch/wireing install (Current Employee), century st wpgAugust 21, 2014
work in a semi alone environment installing trailer hitches and wireing on customer vehicles. .
it was good working with the certain co workers
Customer service Rep. Deal (Former Employee), nash & bartonJune 26, 2014
Pros: drving and cleaning the trucks
Cons: women being the favourite
it was typical, normal checks, decent hours, best part was the vehicle check and maintenance, just wanted further into the truck mechanics, co workers were a joke, even if i was working, theyd come out and demand i do other jobs when they just sit and complain or text, etc. i learned tons towards a lot of areas, hard to forget, the odd re study keeps the info i learn.
Great benefits poor salary
Technician (Current Employee), victoriaJune 19, 2014
Great benefits poor salary. work very hard for what you earn. great work enviroment and people to work with learned a load of things automotive wise and put my welding skills to use many times
A friendly and productive place to be.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJune 10, 2014
A day starts by greeting the coworkers and getting warmed up for the daily processes with fun and keeping me on the toes once I step into the yard.
lousy pay for fast paced, high stress job
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), 2275 Barton st E HamiltonJune 4, 2014
Pros: challenging, busy, nice coworkers, xmas turkey, if you work there you can move anywhere in north america and have a job lined up
Cons: terrible pay, no benefits, uniforms, rude customers, owner would rather save money even when it means creating problems for customers and employees
For such a large, successful corporation, they really could afford to pay their workers better. But they don't and they won't. Their company would benefit - it would be better for customers - if they would hire people for the call center in more areas than just arizona and the one other place they have it, but they won't because of the minimum wage difference. They don't want to pay more than $7/hour to call center employees even if it means giving the wrong information to customers who are put through to the call center when the location they are calling is too busy to answer the phone.

This is a high stress job because it is very fast paced, with tight schedules and stressed out customers. Working in customer service can be grating anyway, but when people are moving, they are very stressed out and can be rude and demanding and impatient. It is very busy. Uhaul's rates are by the day, but come month end, with so many people moving, we would have to charge people the daily rate for their rental, but tell them that they can only have a truck for 8 hours. Its BS.

And the parking lots are TERRIBLE. With all their profits you'd think they'd do a better job of getting a parking lot big enough for all the traffic. I started out at a UHAUL in a small city. The parking lot was so bad. Pot holes everywhere, trucks everywhere and only four parking spots for customers, and hardly any space to turn around. I thought when I moved that the new UHaul location I'd be working at would be better seeing as it was the head office for southwestern ontario. It wasn't! It was just as bad, if not – more... worse.

I was good at this job because I am good over the phone confirming appointments and dealing with the computer scheduling system and I work well under pressure. I didn't mind actually RUNNING to get trucks for customers when we were busy to get them on their way faster. For working there for over a year I got a 75 cent raise and I'm pretty sure the first 50 cents was just because that when I moved to the new city, they have a higher cost of living so that is their starting off point for anyone.
If they had paid better I probably wouldn't have looked for another job because I work well under stress and my coworkers were nice. But for that lousy pay, it is not a long term career for me. – less
Good for part time
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBMay 29, 2014
Pros: busy, time goes by quickly. variety, there are plenty of different jobs to do so it doesn't get boring
Cons: hard/dirty work, don't wear nice shoes or clothes, and you're on your feet alot
UHaul is a pretty good place to work, if you are looking for flexibility. Seldom a slow, boring moment while working.
Nice work place and good management
Hitch Technician (Former Employee), winnipeg, MBMay 17, 2014
had a great time at this job but they found a better hitch tech. but fun and good work to be with
Enjoyed it very much
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 8, 2014
Everything culminates to the end of the month where things get really busy.

Relaxed working environment and loved my co-workers.