U-Haul Employee Reviews

Good techs, very diversified co-workers
Auto Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 6, 2015
Being a brakes specialist it was very repetitive work, with only a few types of trucks to repair Not enough problems to solve
Pros
big on safety
Cons
Not much chance to use all of my skills
Always on the move
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QCSeptember 29, 2015
Cleaning trucks, doing maintenance on the trucks, maintaining the storage facility and office clean and organized, serving clients on the phone or in person.
not a positive enviroment
employee (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 13, 2015
it was a JOB that's it,,,, very unhealthy environment... no one knows what there doing and then the management team wants you to train people that know nothing about your trade ( mechanic)
Nice place to work, with the right people
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 7, 2015
I find that this is a really good company to work for and they are very supportive to anyone looking to get better training and advancement. Unfortunately lately there have been a lot of staff changes that has really impacted the overall dynamic which has made it difficult to continue staying motivated.
Pros
Great Company, Lots of Training and Support
Cons
No Stability
Review
General Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 3, 2015
A typical consisted of many calls from managers, customers and employees to cell phone. Dealing with issues with rentals and planning for the week ahead. Managing and scheduling the reservations for truck and trailer rentals, hitch installations, UBOX rentals and our self storage rentals. Doing safety walk arounds was a part of the daily routine. Every day was very unexpected as we dealt with a high volume of customers on a daily basis.
Pros
Flexible days on and off
Great company
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 30, 2015
U-Haul is a great company to work for. I really have enjoyed working for them this far but I no longer have any advancment oppurtunities.
rough equiptment
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONMay 27, 2015
I loved running the retail location however most of the equipment Uhaul provided for rentals tended to need some serious TLC which in turn caused many customers to be irate. It did however teach me how to be a problem solver efficiently
General Manager / Driver (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 24, 2015
No praise, and no matter how hard you try it still is not good enough for the mcp. The mcp and the frm are not there to assist but to cause more of an issue instead of offering support and guidance which is what you would expect from a superior
terrible
Customer service representative and outside labor (Former Employee) –  152 east drive brampton ontarioApril 26, 2015
Madhu at 152 East drive made my U-haul experience theeeeee worst and most unreliable work experience ever. U haul overall is slack and they do nothing to make sure employees are treated fairly.
Pros
sometimes free food
Cons
long hours, underpaid, wanting staff to work in departments they are not supposed to.
Overrall fun and professional
Gérant de Territoire (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 3, 2015
I loved waking up every morning ready to help out the dealers I had. I'd prospect on daily basis for potential new affiliates. It was fun being on the road. This was my first manager position that exploded on me real quick. I learned that I need to be more confident in myself and my decisions if i wanted to be a manager in the future. Management wasn't terrible but they should be less negative. I didn't have to many co-workers since the job consisted of being on the road alone.
Pros
I'd make my own schedule and had my gasoline paid
Cons
Long hours and driving far from home
Lip Service
Transfer Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 1, 2015
No training provided, or piecemeal at best, given only when someone messes up on the job.

The management only pays lip service to being safe on the job, and on the roads. Time is closely monitored and tracked. This puts pressure on drivers to drive at unsafe speeds above the speed limit. Drivers are questioned and looked at with suspicion if traffic makes the trip longer. Job termination without explanation.

Work takes priority over personal life when volume of work is high. Some accommodation given to personal life when it's convenient for the company.
Pros
None.
Cons
Long hours.
Office Clerk - 2004 - 2006
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaMarch 31, 2015
Learn and use customized accounting program
Accounts payable, audit and correct entries
Issue purchase orders & match to invoices
Use Excel to design dealers’ telephone records
Use Word for various correspondences
General secretarial duties: audit prior employees’ entries, organize, file, answer phones, relay messages, mailing and courier procedures
Pros
Always kept busy
lots to do
Customer Service Rep/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 18, 2015
checking cash drawers check in equipment open store check for reservations clean truck as required check storage locker for damage I learn a lot about maintenance of vehicles
Pros
the customers
Cons
long days
Not very good pay, or job security.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 11, 2015
worked with them for almost 2 years and was let go from one day to the next due to work/family life balance. was trying to work around a shift due to a big event in my life and because of that was let go without an explanation and was blocked to never work for the company again. Was let go so unprofessionally that i was part of management staff and was told by my staff that i didn't work there anymore and on top of that still have the keys for the location. As much as i had a great relationship with most staff and customers one family event that they didn't want to give me the time off for they very unprofessionally let me go.
Great experiance with tough tasks
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 2, 2015
I loved my time at U-Haul. I dealt with alot of situations in a day, but i always found new ways to achieve optimal customer satisfaction. I loved working my supervisor, he was very understanding and was always there to give advice when i needed help.
Pros
time to study and do homework
Cons
lots of injuries came with the job
Caring and fun work enviroment
Customer Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 23, 2015
the manager was always available if anyone needed any help, always gave a lot of hours, and was also flexible with hours.
Great people, poor company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCDecember 29, 2014
Managers were great. Work was really difficult. Shifts were constantly changed. Almost minimum wage. Holidays were pretty lenient. Lunch break is whenever there's time. Learned a lot about vehicles and how to talk to people. Lots of office work along with helping customers.
A fast paced work enviroment
Truck and Coach Co-op apprentice (Former Employee) –  Brampton, caDecember 22, 2014
A typical day of work includes preventative maintenance on all vehicles. this includes oil changes, brake inspection and replacement (hydraulic disk and drum), transmission fluid changes (automatic), spark plug replacement, and inspections of the entire vehicle.

I learned a lot about inspections and learning to follow procedures to ensure vehicle repairs.

Co-workers were generally good in a typical day will be more than willing to help train and teach me about proper repair.
Pros
good working environment and hours
Cons
very repetitive ad uhaul only had a few models of trucks to work on
FAST PACED ,HARD WORK= FAST DAYS!!dont work at surrey branch
csr (Former Employee) –  surrey ,BCDecember 12, 2014
I was told i was doing well ,let go next day without cause,i should have realized that when you lose over 4 employees in lees than a month that i should not have hired on,beware of this location!!!company on the whole ...GREAT!
Cons
terrible and poorly run, managed horribly
Horrible manager.
Csr (Former Employee) –  halifaxOctober 26, 2014
The management seems to like to yell at the employees, I would not work the unless there was new manage ment. Unless you like getting literally yelled at in front of customers.
Pros
great employees
Cons
management has a big stick