U-Haul Employee Reviews

A company that gives importance work/life balance
Transfer Driver - On Call (Former Employee) –  BC31 October 2015
Management is very supportive about their employee's life outside work. They will accommodate requests from employees regarding family matters as much as they can, and I definitely admire them for these things. The only flaw that I saw during my time in Uhaul is proper training for new employees, especially for employees who are required to drive Uhaul vehicles. Before Uhaul, the biggest vehicle I drove was a seven-seater van. After Uhaul, I experienced driving vehicles up to three times longer than a seven-seater van. What surprised me was no one ask me if I have experience in driving cargo trucks as big as the 26-footer or even pulling trailers as long as the Transport Carriers during my hiring process. I ended up studying how to drive the unfamiliar vehicles on the road (hands on) the day i started working and lucky enough to survived without an accident considering I'm not entitled for any benefits. Its all about numbers in my line of work(which is not suppose to be), that caused some changes my driving attitude and realized the job is not for me.

I consider my life in Uhaul as a challenging experience. I learned a lot of things about the company and co-employees. It's a great place to start for young individuals who still live with the parents and doesn't have any bills to pay.
Pros
No lost time for family and life outside work
Cons
slim chances for career advancement / no security
I will miss uhaul
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  A1B3p921 October 2015
I am leaving uhaul not because I am not happy there but rather I will be happy somewhere else. I have done great soul searching to decide what my next move will be aned I finally believe that this is it. I want work with you and of my skills in superior guest relations, management and entertain.
Pros
Awesome
Cons
Pawsome
Great place to work with flexible hours
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON16 October 2015
Definitely require the ability to multi task and the desire and ability to constantly learn. It is a very fast paced, customer service heavy atmosphere. The "Team" is great and there is always a course or person to assist you if needed. The hardest part of the job is ... the weather ... people need trucks/trailers etc no matter how hot/cold/wet it is outside :)
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Good techs, very diversified co-workers
Auto Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 October 2015
Being a brakes specialist it was very repetitive work, with only a few types of trucks to repair Not enough problems to solve
Pros
big on safety
Cons
Not much chance to use all of my skills
Always on the move
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC29 September 2015
Cleaning trucks, doing maintenance on the trucks, maintaining the storage facility and office clean and organized, serving clients on the phone or in person.
not a positive enviroment
employee (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 September 2015
it was a JOB that's it,,,, very unhealthy environment... no one knows what there doing and then the management team wants you to train people that know nothing about your trade ( mechanic)
Nice place to work, with the right people
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 July 2015
I find that this is a really good company to work for and they are very supportive to anyone looking to get better training and advancement. Unfortunately lately there have been a lot of staff changes that has really impacted the overall dynamic which has made it difficult to continue staying motivated.
Pros
Great Company, Lots of Training and Support
Cons
No Stability
Review
General Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 July 2015
A typical consisted of many calls from managers, customers and employees to cell phone. Dealing with issues with rentals and planning for the week ahead. Managing and scheduling the reservations for truck and trailer rentals, hitch installations, UBOX rentals and our self storage rentals. Doing safety walk arounds was a part of the daily routine. Every day was very unexpected as we dealt with a high volume of customers on a daily basis.
Pros
Flexible days on and off
Great company
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 May 2015
U-Haul is a great company to work for. I really have enjoyed working for them this far but I no longer have any advancment oppurtunities.
rough equiptment
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON27 May 2015
I loved running the retail location however most of the equipment Uhaul provided for rentals tended to need some serious TLC which in turn caused many customers to be irate. It did however teach me how to be a problem solver efficiently
General Manager / Driver (Former Employee) –  London, ON24 May 2015
No praise, and no matter how hard you try it still is not good enough for the mcp. The mcp and the frm are not there to assist but to cause more of an issue instead of offering support and guidance which is what you would expect from a superior
terrible
Customer service representative and outside labor (Former Employee) –  152 east drive brampton ontario26 April 2015
Madhu at 152 East drive made my U-haul experience theeeeee worst and most unreliable work experience ever. U haul overall is slack and they do nothing to make sure employees are treated fairly.
Pros
sometimes free food
Cons
long hours, underpaid, wanting staff to work in departments they are not supposed to.
Overrall fun and professional
Gérant de Territoire (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 April 2015
I loved waking up every morning ready to help out the dealers I had. I'd prospect on daily basis for potential new affiliates. It was fun being on the road. This was my first manager position that exploded on me real quick. I learned that I need to be more confident in myself and my decisions if i wanted to be a manager in the future. Management wasn't terrible but they should be less negative. I didn't have to many co-workers since the job consisted of being on the road alone.
Pros
I'd make my own schedule and had my gasoline paid
Cons
Long hours and driving far from home
Lip Service
Transfer Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 April 2015
No training provided, or piecemeal at best, given only when someone messes up on the job.

The management only pays lip service to being safe on the job, and on the roads. Time is closely monitored and tracked. This puts pressure on drivers to drive at unsafe speeds above the speed limit. Drivers are questioned and looked at with suspicion if traffic makes the trip longer. Job termination without explanation.

Work takes priority over personal life when volume of work is high. Some accommodation given to personal life when it's convenient for the company.
Pros
None.
Cons
Long hours.
Office Clerk - 2004 - 2006
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta31 March 2015
Learn and use customized accounting program
Accounts payable, audit and correct entries
Issue purchase orders & match to invoices
Use Excel to design dealers’ telephone records
Use Word for various correspondences
General secretarial duties: audit prior employees’ entries, organize, file, answer phones, relay messages, mailing and courier procedures
Pros
Always kept busy
lots to do
Customer Service Rep/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 March 2015
checking cash drawers check in equipment open store check for reservations clean truck as required check storage locker for damage I learn a lot about maintenance of vehicles
Pros
the customers
Cons
long days
Not very good pay, or job security.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 February 2015
worked with them for almost 2 years and was let go from one day to the next due to work/family life balance. was trying to work around a shift due to a big event in my life and because of that was let go without an explanation and was blocked to never work for the company again. Was let go so unprofessionally that i was part of management staff and was told by my staff that i didn't work there anymore and on top of that still have the keys for the location. As much as i had a great relationship with most staff and customers one family event that they didn't want to give me the time off for they very unprofessionally let me go.
Great experiance with tough tasks
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON2 February 2015
I loved my time at U-Haul. I dealt with alot of situations in a day, but i always found new ways to achieve optimal customer satisfaction. I loved working my supervisor, he was very understanding and was always there to give advice when i needed help.
Pros
Time to study and do homework
Cons
Lots of injuries came with the job
Caring and fun work enviroment
Customer Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 January 2015
the manager was always available if anyone needed any help, always gave a lot of hours, and was also flexible with hours.
Great people, poor company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC29 December 2014
Managers were great. Work was really difficult. Shifts were constantly changed. Almost minimum wage. Holidays were pretty lenient. Lunch break is whenever there's time. Learned a lot about vehicles and how to talk to people. Lots of office work along with helping customers.