U-Haul Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work for students
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 January 2016
It's a good place to work for students. The flexibility is great.There are also a lot of opportunities for promotions and growth!
Review
General Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 July 2015
A typical consisted of many calls from managers, customers and employees to cell phone. Dealing with issues with rentals and planning for the week ahead. Managing and scheduling the reservations for truck and trailer rentals, hitch installations, UBOX rentals and our self storage rentals. Doing safety walk arounds was a part of the daily routine. Every day was very unexpected as we dealt with a high volume of customers on a daily basis.
Pros
Flexible days on and off
volunteer
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON13 January 2016
great place had a lot of fun volunteering. we got free pizza and half the game we sat out and waqtched. and also gave me some great skills and experiience
Nice place to work, with the right people
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 July 2015
I find that this is a really good company to work for and they are very supportive to anyone looking to get better training and advancement. Unfortunately lately there have been a lot of staff changes that has really impacted the overall dynamic which has made it difficult to continue staying motivated.
Pros
Great Company, Lots of Training and Support
Cons
No Stability
great place to gain customer service experience
Rental Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2015
uhual is a great starting position for those who need customer service experience. Management is very professional and treat employees right.
fast paced, always something different
Facility Maintainence Tech (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2015
easy to communicate with fellow peers, hard work and boring tasks but still fun. not much room for advancement have the ability to meet new people
Overrall fun and professional
Gérant de Territoire (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 April 2015
I loved waking up every morning ready to help out the dealers I had. I'd prospect on daily basis for potential new affiliates. It was fun being on the road. This was my first manager position that exploded on me real quick. I learned that I need to be more confident in myself and my decisions if i wanted to be a manager in the future. Management wasn't terrible but they should be less negative. I didn't have to many co-workers since the job consisted of being on the road alone.
Pros
I'd make my own schedule and had my gasoline paid
Cons
Long hours and driving far from home
Lip Service
Transfer Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 April 2015
No training provided, or piecemeal at best, given only when someone messes up on the job.

The management only pays lip service to being safe on the job, and on the roads. Time is closely monitored and tracked. This puts pressure on drivers to drive at unsafe speeds above the speed limit. Drivers are questioned and looked at with suspicion if traffic makes the trip longer. Job termination without explanation.

Work takes priority over personal life when volume of work is high. Some accommodation given to personal life when it's convenient for the company.
Pros
None.
Cons
Long hours.
Office Clerk - 2004 - 2006
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta31 March 2015
Learn and use customized accounting program
Accounts payable, audit and correct entries
Issue purchase orders & match to invoices
Use Excel to design dealers’ telephone records
Use Word for various correspondences
General secretarial duties: audit prior employees’ entries, organize, file, answer phones, relay messages, mailing and courier procedures
Pros
Always kept busy
Not very good pay, or job security.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 February 2015
worked with them for almost 2 years and was let go from one day to the next due to work/family life balance. was trying to work around a shift due to a big event in my life and because of that was let go without an explanation and was blocked to never work for the company again. Was let go so unprofessionally that i was part of management staff and was told by my staff that i didn't work there anymore and on top of that still have the keys for the location. As much as i had a great relationship with most staff and customers one family event that they didn't want to give me the time off for they very unprofessionally let me go.
Good techs, very diversified co-workers
Auto Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 October 2015
Being a brakes specialist it was very repetitive work, with only a few types of trucks to repair Not enough problems to solve
Pros
big on safety
Cons
Not much chance to use all of my skills
A fast paced work enviroment
Truck and Coach Co-op apprentice (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ca22 December 2014
A typical day of work includes preventative maintenance on all vehicles. this includes oil changes, brake inspection and replacement (hydraulic disk and drum), transmission fluid changes (automatic), spark plug replacement, and inspections of the entire vehicle.

I learned a lot about inspections and learning to follow procedures to ensure vehicle repairs.

Co-workers were generally good in a typical day will be more than willing to help train and teach me about proper repair.
Pros
good working environment and hours
Cons
very repetitive ad uhaul only had a few models of trucks to work on
terrible
Customer service representative and outside labor (Former Employee) –  152 east drive brampton ontario26 April 2015
Madhu at 152 East drive made my U-haul experience theeeeee worst and most unreliable work experience ever. U haul overall is slack and they do nothing to make sure employees are treated fairly.
Pros
sometimes free food
Cons
long hours, underpaid, wanting staff to work in departments they are not supposed to.
it was good working with the certain co workers
Customer service Rep. Deal (Former Employee) –  nash & barton26 June 2014
it was typical, normal checks, decent hours, best part was the vehicle check and maintenance, just wanted further into the truck mechanics, co workers were a joke, even if i was working, theyd come out and demand i do other jobs when they just sit and complain or text, etc. i learned tons towards a lot of areas, hard to forget, the odd re study keeps the info i learn.
Pros
drving and cleaning the trucks
Cons
women being the favourite
Interesting
Hitch and Wiring Specialist/ Customer (Former Employee) –  Montreal,Qc12 April 2014
I was working with a friend, who I have to say was the best boss I have had in many years. However the sad part of the situation was that we had lost many employees in a short time and we were left with three guy. this meant that I was working about 60 hours a week, while my boss was working over 70. and between the two of us we kept the place running.
when I asked for a raise, my boss understood and was more then happy to do so as he knew how hard I was working. however the upper management felt differently. This would be one of my many reasons for leaving
Pros
Enjoyed the time I was there
Cons
my pour upper management
Fun environment with fast paced work load
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 August 2012
A typical day starts with checking in trucks and trailers, and checking for damage and logging information. Parking trucks and organizing yard.
After moving so many trucks every day in a small enclosed parking lot I found my driving skills improved a lot.
Everyone was very easy going and fun to work with.
Meeting and helping customers durring stressful times (ie. moving day) was very rewarding.
Pros
friendly staff, easy going enviroment
Cons
lack of recognition, management not open to recommendations
It was a job.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2012
A lot of the management were shady, negligent, or perpetually rude to their customer support staff... unless they were pretty and had a good figure. Management is mostly male. Females get no advancement at all. Half the people that do advance wind up demoting themselves because there's too much pressure or those higher up than that have some fantastical idea of how much one person can do in a day. Customers are abusive to the staff. The job, itself, has a negative stigma which makes the job far more difficult.
amazing company
Part time worker (Former Employee) –  toronto2 December 2012
my typical day at Uhaul consisted of assisting customers, answer phones, placing orders, inspect trucks, organizing\stocking merchandise, keeping a cleaning and workable environment. My manager was a great supervisor, she was caring and very clear\direct on what she expected of her employee's. hardest part of my job was completing bookings with customers due to the slow computers and impatient customers.Most enjoyable part was working along side my coworkers, we worked well together and helped eachother making it a fun and easy work environment.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
distance
very good company and the customers are fantastic as well as co-workers
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 February 2013
A typical day at work was usually fairly busy, always had something to do whether it was serving customers, putting stock away, or cleaning, I really enjoyed the co-workers I worked with, we made our day full of fun but always made sure everything got done. The management was not as good (unfortunately) was very rude to the employees and treated them as if they were nothing and didn't know what to do. I don't really think that there was a hard part to this job however it could get very stressful at times.
Pros
awesome co-workers to work with
Cons
bad management
Lack of professinalism due to the management becoming too involved in employee personal life.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 February 2013
The shift starts with money count making sure the amount is accurate as the books needs to balance at end of shift. Arrange the online reservations received for the current business day, make sure that equipment and rental trucks was in stock and ready. The job requirements made employees be very bondable as the tasks/resposibilities constantly changed and so did the learning curve. Great business and customer management skills were obtained as the customers were very diverse and thus needs were met at different levels. Employee bonds as the team worked great together and complemented eachother.