U-Haul Employee Reviews

Lip Service
Transfer Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 April 2015
No training provided, or piecemeal at best, given only when someone messes up on the job.

The management only pays lip service to being safe on the job, and on the roads. Time is closely monitored and tracked. This puts pressure on drivers to drive at unsafe speeds above the speed limit. Drivers are questioned and looked at with suspicion if traffic makes the trip longer. Job termination without explanation.

Work takes priority over personal life when volume of work is high. Some accommodation given to personal life when it's convenient for the company.
Pros
None.
Cons
Long hours.
nice overall
Représentant au service à la clientèle (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 July 2016
Belle compagnie qui malheureusement ne concentre pas assez d'effort et d'emphase mise sur le personnel ! Il n'y a que les hauts gradés qui ont de l'importance pour la compagnie .
Pros
Temps avec école
Cons
travaille seul car manque de budjet
review
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON23 July 2016
I enjoyed my time working at uhaul, I left because it was time to move on to other things.I still connect with previous co workers
Pros
enjoyed
Cons
enjoyed
horrable
Customer Service Representative (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC2 July 2016
I did not like working for UHAUL the wages were not good and they made there employees work different jobs that they didnt even sign up to do.
It was a job.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2012
A lot of the management were shady, negligent, or perpetually rude to their customer support staff... unless they were pretty and had a good figure. Management is mostly male. Females get no advancement at all. Half the people that do advance wind up demoting themselves because there's too much pressure or those higher up than that have some fantastical idea of how much one person can do in a day. Customers are abusive to the staff. The job, itself, has a negative stigma which makes the job far more difficult.
Seemed positive initially.......
Reservation Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 February 2016
Very low pay. Expect you to do several jobs. There is no discipline if they like you. You can be on facebook all day at work if you like. This was a terrible and unprofessional company to work for..... Do not apply at Uhaul.
Pros
minimum wage job
Cons
overworked, underpaid, management not professional
Very, very busy with little Privacy
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 July 2012
Very difficult to find any balance when you live on site with large busy facility. Management does not provide a large enough budget for part-time employees. Hard to keep employees for minimum wage as the job is very physical and demanding. The work itself was enjoyable and it was cool to meet so many people from so many places. Great learning experience.
Pros
free rent
Cons
long hours, no privacy, company unwilling to compensate fairly
Excellent place to work for students
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 January 2016
It's a good place to work for students. The flexibility is great.There are also a lot of opportunities for promotions and growth!
Not very good pay, or job security.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 February 2015
worked with them for almost 2 years and was let go from one day to the next due to work/family life balance. was trying to work around a shift due to a big event in my life and because of that was let go without an explanation and was blocked to never work for the company again. Was let go so unprofessionally that i was part of management staff and was told by my staff that i didn't work there anymore and on top of that still have the keys for the location. As much as i had a great relationship with most staff and customers one family event that they didn't want to give me the time off for they very unprofessionally let me go.
General Manager / Driver (Former Employee) –  London, ON24 May 2015
No praise, and no matter how hard you try it still is not good enough for the mcp. The mcp and the frm are not there to assist but to cause more of an issue instead of offering support and guidance which is what you would expect from a superior
I will miss uhaul
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  A1B3p921 October 2015
I am leaving uhaul not because I am not happy there but rather I will be happy somewhere else. I have done great soul searching to decide what my next move will be aned I finally believe that this is it. I want work with you and of my skills in superior guest relations, management and entertain.
Pros
Awesome
Cons
Pawsome
Excellent entry level position
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON12 April 2013
Although I only worked at the Fairway road U-haul for a couple months it was a great learning experience with wonderful staff. I was a service rep at the front desk who was resonsible for scheduling rental's and managing the lot. We received/dispatched vehicles and sold moving supplies. There was also a large self storage facility on site where customers would rent storage units, all in all it was a great environment where managment and staff was generally very supportive. I had a great opportunity to learn and grow within the company as there was a variety of different positions to become involved with. U-haul has a patented online training system called "U-Haul University" where employees where able to take courses to become more skilled and qualified in a number of areas within the company.
Pros
great work environment, solid management, strong growth potential
Cons
low wages, lack of hours.
Beware! Stay away from this company
CSR (Former Employee) –  surrey, bc22 April 2014
Work hours schedule varies every week depending on location's budget
They expect you do work more for less pay. Doing a $30/hr type of work but paid minimum wage.
Cheap company, no lunch breaks, trainee status for almost a year with no benefits and raise.
Co-employees just like to work smart and let hard work passed to new trainees.
Company pays you peanuts. That's why they get monkey employees.
CSR asked to do a lot of things in the yard like painting the curb with green, mowing the boulevard, throw trash in dump
Manager does not give equal number of hours to employees. But gives always 40 hours to his favorite even though the location is not busy for the week. Favorite employee just stays inside the store staring at the computer while other CSRs do the hard work outside.
Other CSR do not check and clean the trucks that they dispatch to customers.

Manager schedules favorite employee during special holidays for 1.5 times pay rate.
Uhaul does not pay overtime. If you worked more than 40 hours this week, they will carry over the excess hours for next week.
Uhaul does not welcome labor unions. Most of the employees here are relatives.
It is not an equal opportunity employer. If they don't like the way you look and speak, they will let you do all the hard work in the yard. They will only train those with good looks to handle rental contracts and just let them work smart for the whole day
Some senior csr trainees who are not even asst managers, supervisors or managers will tell you to do the hard works that are supposed to be their job to do it.
Cons
no lunch breaks, no overtime pay, no room for career advancement, minimum wage as a trainee for a long period of time, poor management
Lack of professinalism due to the management becoming too involved in employee personal life.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 February 2013
The shift starts with money count making sure the amount is accurate as the books needs to balance at end of shift. Arrange the online reservations received for the current business day, make sure that equipment and rental trucks was in stock and ready. The job requirements made employees be very bondable as the tasks/resposibilities constantly changed and so did the learning curve. Great business and customer management skills were obtained as the customers were very diverse and thus needs were met at different levels. Employee bonds as the team worked great together and complemented eachother.
Nice place to work, with the right people
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 July 2015
I find that this is a really good company to work for and they are very supportive to anyone looking to get better training and advancement. Unfortunately lately there have been a lot of staff changes that has really impacted the overall dynamic which has made it difficult to continue staying motivated.
Pros
Great Company, Lots of Training and Support
Cons
No Stability
Worst company to work for
CSR/propane attendant/Lot person (Former Employee) –  N.Vancouver5 June 2013
If you get a job it's part time seasonal, never full time.
work involves trucks and maintenance of trucks, so you get dirty, and in this country cold and wet, being outside most of the time, as you run up and down the parking lot getting trucks for customers and receiving returning customers, usually at the same time at month end, when everyone is moving and only 2 on staff. and a computer system that gets hung up, causing extra delays.
You are expected to dispense propane, at same wage, starting at minimum wage..,and staying there. also phoning customers to confirm reservations, schedule the reservations, make excuses to customers that you can't help.. way too much for minimum wage .
Being punctual and doing above and beyond the "call of duty" doesn't help your position. all employees are expected to do closing procedures which include taking deposit to bank on your own time.
Management does not tolerate overtime in any case, so your time card gets adjusted to suit budget restraints.

Pros
some nice people
Cons
bad management
Review
General Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 July 2015
A typical consisted of many calls from managers, customers and employees to cell phone. Dealing with issues with rentals and planning for the week ahead. Managing and scheduling the reservations for truck and trailer rentals, hitch installations, UBOX rentals and our self storage rentals. Doing safety walk arounds was a part of the daily routine. Every day was very unexpected as we dealt with a high volume of customers on a daily basis.
Pros
Flexible days on and off
Cons
Long hours and unexpected overtime due to staff shortages often
Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 August 2012
Great to help customers in time of need to move, lack of regular mechanic made this location difficult to maintain proper service level. Super co-workers, lack of management was difficult, as no one was there with experience to train new staff. Huge staff turn over, at this time. Poor corporate management at this location. Most enjoyable part of job was helping people solve storage and moving problems in seconds.
Pros
super support staff, we all worked as a family to help other families in need.
Cons
no corporate training or help even when computers crashed.
very good company and the customers are fantastic as well as co-workers
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 February 2013
A typical day at work was usually fairly busy, always had something to do whether it was serving customers, putting stock away, or cleaning, I really enjoyed the co-workers I worked with, we made our day full of fun but always made sure everything got done. The management was not as good (unfortunately) was very rude to the employees and treated them as if they were nothing and didn't know what to do. I don't really think that there was a hard part to this job however it could get very stressful at times.
Pros
awesome co-workers to work with
Cons
bad management
Great place to work for,
Traffic Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 September 2012
I would go into work. gather up what I needed that day then meet with the Marketing Company President and I would go over reports and discuss what needed to be done. I was part of Management, but the other Managers were great to work with. The employess that I had working for me in my department, were great group of people. I had no problems. The hardest part of the job would, is waiting on the shop to get the trucks out of the shop. The most enjoyable would be, at the end of every month, everyone would get together for lunch that was provided by yhe company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U-Haul. Our community is ready to answer.