U-Haul Employee Reviews in Canada

Review
General Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 3, 2015
A typical consisted of many calls from managers, customers and employees to cell phone. Dealing with issues with rentals and planning for the week ahead. Managing and scheduling the reservations for truck and trailer rentals, hitch installations, UBOX rentals and our self storage rentals. Doing safety walk arounds was a part of the daily routine. Every day was very unexpected as we dealt with a high volume of customers on a daily basis.
Pros
Flexible days on and off
not a positive enviroment
employee (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 13, 2015
it was a JOB that's it,,,, very unhealthy environment... no one knows what there doing and then the management team wants you to train people that know nothing about your trade ( mechanic)
Great place to work with flexible hours
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONOctober 16, 2015
Definitely require the ability to multi task and the desire and ability to constantly learn. It is a very fast paced, customer service heavy atmosphere. The "Team" is great and there is always a course or person to assist you if needed. The hardest part of the job is ... the weather ... people need trucks/trailers etc no matter how hot/cold/wet it is outside :)
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Not very good pay, or job security.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 11, 2015
worked with them for almost 2 years and was let go from one day to the next due to work/family life balance. was trying to work around a shift due to a big event in my life and because of that was let go without an explanation and was blocked to never work for the company again. Was let go so unprofessionally that i was part of management staff and was told by my staff that i didn't work there anymore and on top of that still have the keys for the location. As much as i had a great relationship with most staff and customers one family event that they didn't want to give me the time off for they very unprofessionally let me go.
It was a job.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 18, 2012
A lot of the management were shady, negligent, or perpetually rude to their customer support staff... unless they were pretty and had a good figure. Management is mostly male. Females get no advancement at all. Half the people that do advance wind up demoting themselves because there's too much pressure or those higher up than that have some fantastical idea of how much one person can do in a day. Customers are abusive to the staff. The job, itself, has a negative stigma which makes the job far more difficult.
Very, very busy with little Privacy
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJuly 14, 2012
Very difficult to find any balance when you live on site with large busy facility. Management does not provide a large enough budget for part-time employees. Hard to keep employees for minimum wage as the job is very physical and demanding. The work itself was enjoyable and it was cool to meet so many people from so many places. Great learning experience.
Pros
free rent
Cons
long hours, no privacy, company unwilling to compensate fairly
Good techs, very diversified co-workers
Auto Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 6, 2015
Being a brakes specialist it was very repetitive work, with only a few types of trucks to repair Not enough problems to solve
Pros
big on safety
Cons
Not much chance to use all of my skills
terrible
Customer service representative and outside labor (Former Employee) –  152 east drive brampton ontarioApril 26, 2015
Madhu at 152 East drive made my U-haul experience theeeeee worst and most unreliable work experience ever. U haul overall is slack and they do nothing to make sure employees are treated fairly.
Pros
sometimes free food
Cons
long hours, underpaid, wanting staff to work in departments they are not supposed to.
Always on the move
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QCSeptember 29, 2015
Cleaning trucks, doing maintenance on the trucks, maintaining the storage facility and office clean and organized, serving clients on the phone or in person.
Excellent entry level position
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONApril 12, 2013
Although I only worked at the Fairway road U-haul for a couple months it was a great learning experience with wonderful staff. I was a service rep at the front desk who was resonsible for scheduling rental's and managing the lot. We received/dispatched vehicles and sold moving supplies. There was also a large self storage facility on site where customers would rent storage units, all in all it was a great environment where managment and staff was generally very supportive. I had a great opportunity to learn and grow within the company as there was a variety of different positions to become involved with. U-haul has a patented online training system called "U-Haul University" where employees where able to take courses to become more skilled and qualified in a number of areas within the company.
Pros
great work environment, solid management, strong growth potential
Cons
low wages, lack of hours.
Beware! Stay away from this company
CSR (Former Employee) –  surrey, bcApril 22, 2014
Work hours schedule varies every week depending on location's budget
They expect you do work more for less pay. Doing a $30/hr type of work but paid minimum wage.
Cheap company, no lunch breaks, trainee status for almost a year with no benefits and raise.
Co-employees just like to work smart and let hard work passed to new trainees.
Company pays you peanuts. That's why they get monkey employees.
CSR asked to do a lot of things in the yard like painting the curb with green, mowing the boulevard, throw trash in dump
Manager does not give equal number of hours to employees. But gives always 40 hours to his favorite even though the location is not busy for the week. Favorite employee just stays inside the store staring at the computer while other CSRs do the hard work outside.
Other CSR do not check and clean the trucks that they dispatch to customers.

Manager schedules favorite employee during special holidays for 1.5 times pay rate.
Uhaul does not pay overtime. If you worked more than 40 hours this week, they will carry over the excess hours for next week.
Uhaul does not welcome labor unions. Most of the employees here are relatives.
It is not an equal opportunity employer. If they don't like the way you look and speak, they will let you do all the hard work in the yard. They will only train those with good looks to handle rental contracts and just let them work smart for the whole day
Some senior csr trainees who are not even asst managers, supervisors or managers will tell you to do the hard works that are supposed to be their job to do it.
Cons
no lunch breaks, no overtime pay, no room for career advancement, minimum wage as a trainee for a long period of time, poor management
Lack of professinalism due to the management becoming too involved in employee personal life.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 15, 2013
The shift starts with money count making sure the amount is accurate as the books needs to balance at end of shift. Arrange the online reservations received for the current business day, make sure that equipment and rental trucks was in stock and ready. The job requirements made employees be very bondable as the tasks/resposibilities constantly changed and so did the learning curve. Great business and customer management skills were obtained as the customers were very diverse and thus needs were met at different levels. Employee bonds as the team worked great together and complemented eachother.
Worst company to work for
CSR/propane attendant/Lot person (Former Employee) –  N.VancouverJune 5, 2013
If you get a job it's part time seasonal, never full time.
work involves trucks and maintenance of trucks, so you get dirty, and in this country cold and wet, being outside most of the time, as you run up and down the parking lot getting trucks for customers and receiving returning customers, usually at the same time at month end, when everyone is moving and only 2 on staff. and a computer system that gets hung up, causing extra delays.
You are expected to dispense propane, at same wage, starting at minimum wage..,and staying there. also phoning customers to confirm reservations, schedule the reservations, make excuses to customers that you can't help.. way too much for minimum wage .
Being punctual and doing above and beyond the "call of duty" doesn't help your position. all employees are expected to do closing procedures which include taking deposit to bank on your own time.
Management does not tolerate overtime in any case, so your time card gets adjusted to suit budget restraints.
Pros
some nice people
Cons
bad management
Long hours and unexpected overtime due to staff shortages often
Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 10, 2012
Great to help customers in time of need to move, lack of regular mechanic made this location difficult to maintain proper service level. Super co-workers, lack of management was difficult, as no one was there with experience to train new staff. Huge staff turn over, at this time. Poor corporate management at this location. Most enjoyable part of job was helping people solve storage and moving problems in seconds.
Pros
super support staff, we all worked as a family to help other families in need.
Cons
no corporate training or help even when computers crashed.
very good company and the customers are fantastic as well as co-workers
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2013
A typical day at work was usually fairly busy, always had something to do whether it was serving customers, putting stock away, or cleaning, I really enjoyed the co-workers I worked with, we made our day full of fun but always made sure everything got done. The management was not as good (unfortunately) was very rude to the employees and treated them as if they were nothing and didn't know what to do. I don't really think that there was a hard part to this job however it could get very stressful at times.
Pros
awesome co-workers to work with
Cons
bad management
Great place to work for,
Traffic Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 23, 2012
I would go into work. gather up what I needed that day then meet with the Marketing Company President and I would go over reports and discuss what needed to be done. I was part of Management, but the other Managers were great to work with. The employess that I had working for me in my department, were great group of people. I had no problems. The hardest part of the job would, is waiting on the shop to get the trucks out of the shop. The most enjoyable would be, at the end of every month, everyone would get together for lunch that was provided by yhe company.
Fun environment with fast paced work load
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 13, 2012
A typical day starts with checking in trucks and trailers, and checking for damage and logging information. Parking trucks and organizing yard.
After moving so many trucks every day in a small enclosed parking lot I found my driving skills improved a lot.
Everyone was very easy going and fun to work with.
Meeting and helping customers durring stressful times (ie. moving day) was very rewarding.
Pros
friendly staff, easy going enviroment
Cons
lack of recognition, management not open to recommendations
Great company
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 30, 2015
U-Haul is a great company to work for. I really have enjoyed working for them this far but I no longer have any advancment oppurtunities.
A fast paced work enviroment
Truck and Coach Co-op apprentice (Former Employee) –  Brampton, caDecember 22, 2014
A typical day of work includes preventative maintenance on all vehicles. this includes oil changes, brake inspection and replacement (hydraulic disk and drum), transmission fluid changes (automatic), spark plug replacement, and inspections of the entire vehicle.

I learned a lot about inspections and learning to follow procedures to ensure vehicle repairs.

Co-workers were generally good in a typical day will be more than willing to help train and teach me about proper repair.
Pros
good working environment and hours
Cons
very repetitive ad uhaul only had a few models of trucks to work on
rough equiptment
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONMay 27, 2015
I loved running the retail location however most of the equipment Uhaul provided for rentals tended to need some serious TLC which in turn caused many customers to be irate. It did however teach me how to be a problem solver efficiently