U-Haul

U-Haul Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun environment with fast paced work load
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 13, 2012
Pros: friendly staff, easy going enviroment
Cons: lack of recognition, management not open to recommendations
A typical day starts with checking in trucks and trailers, and checking for damage and logging information. Parking trucks and organizing yard.
After moving so many trucks every day in a small enclosed parking lot I found my driving skills improved a lot.
Everyone was very easy going and fun to work with.
Meeting and helping customers durring stressful – more... times (ie. moving day) was very rewarding. – less
Challenging workplace, fast paced.
General Manager (Former Employee), mobile alSeptember 19, 2014
As General Manager a typical day started early, getting there before the hassle to make sure everything was completed before opening rush. Checking all trucks in, cleaning them, setting up showroom, hitch bay, and Receive/Dispatch cart.

I've learned a lot through U-Haul, from lighting and wiring diagnosis to understanding, reaching, and exceeding profit – more... and loss goals. I increased occupancy and reduced delinquency considerably at three different facilities finally taking over my own facility and maintaining net profit, occupancy goal of over 90% (for over a year consistently) and keeping under the delinquency goal of 10% (achieving below 2% many months)

After taking over my facility I was usually given most new hires from all nearby stores to be trained and returned to their manager, I also handle the hiring and terminations for my staff, taking care of problem employees and making some of the strongest crews in the area.

I enjoyed taking care of business, seeing the difference I made. – less
Functional Operation with a positive environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Plano, TXSeptember 17, 2014
Great team and supportive management. Flexible Hours and Benefits for a PT worker.
Hard work but company compensates well
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: decent compensation, meet many different types of people
Cons: irate customers due to nature of industry, exposure to weather, potentially early hours
Uhaul has great opportunities for advancement and fair compensation. The hours can be early, and the work potentially taxing, prompt service is expected and cleanliness.
Hate this job.
Uhaul Dealer, employee (Current Employee), Blairsville, GASeptember 15, 2014
Cons: working in the rain, lifting heavy equipment by yourself, everything
Uhaul is a joke company to work for. I don't even get paid for working for them.
Productive and fun workplace.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Kent, OHSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: not enough hours
Typical day at U-Haul is very fast paced. Lots of diversity in customers. Learn something new every day.
not that fun of a place to work
Housekeeper (Current Employee), Ann Arbor, MISeptember 6, 2014
the guys there are rudeand sloppy. they dont like to listen to managment but did have fexable hours.
Informative and Interesting
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDSeptember 3, 2014
Gain a firm understanding of sales, stocking, inventory, multi-line phone, people skills, and maintanice.
Great group of people to work with
General Manager (Current Employee), Harrisburg, PASeptember 1, 2014
Pros: the people
Cons: 6 day work week no home life.
Good job way to many hours job/life balance is not there. Co-workers are the best. Best part is I love the fact there is a new things happening daily. The customer are the most enjoyable part of my .
Fast Pace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 31, 2014
I would set up future rental reservations and get customers the proper truck size and equipment to accommodate their needs.
Very Productive fun and familylike workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Tupelo, MSAugust 30, 2014
Pros: flexability in work hours
Cons: sometimes not enough employees on schedule for the amout of work need to be done in a days work.
Working with Uhaul has been a great experience... Great management and enviroment... The company over great benefits to employees and is always willing to work with employess on scheduled... I would recommend this company to anyone who is looking for a great job and company that is like family.
best traffic department in FL
Reservation Manager -Maritza Blanco (Former Employee), Miami, FLAugust 29, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
great people, great supervisor, GREAT place to be, not only a job but also a FAMILY.
productive and fun workplace
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee), Hyattsville, MDAugust 27, 2014
Learned repair different trucks work and typical work every day.
Good Job
Account Manager (Former Employee), phx.AZAugust 21, 2014
It was a good job, the management was great. I enjoyed working there
Exciting meeting new people and business relations
Customer Service/Driving Assistant (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNAugust 21, 2014
Pros: flexible shifts, holidays off
The experience working with Boone Container Inc./U-Haul has been a great learning tool. I've learned to work multiple office programs gaining knowledge in dispatching trucks for roll-off containers and sending trucks to the great lower 48 states. The management has been very understanding and patient with teaching me the ropes and my co-workers have – more... been a pleasure to work with as well. The most difficult part of the position is when the time of the year comes where majority of people move and the lines get longer and longer. All in all it gives me great pleasure to know that my position has helped families in a time of need. – less
Overworked, Underpaid Employees Buttress Messy Monolith
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), IAAugust 18, 2014
Pros: makes you appreciate other jobs
Cons: realizing that corporations can be bullies
Customer Service Representative is a misnomer. Employees are not properly trained for customer service and spend most of their time cleaning, inspecting, and repairing worn out equipment. The small amount of time spent inside the office requires employees to explain Kafkaesque corporate missteps to customers who are queued out the door, all while answering – more... phone calls and helping incompetent co-workers. The worst part is that the customers aren't valued by corporate, and would-be outgoing employees must acquiesce to/defend a substandard paradigm.

The only reasons why U-haul is still in business:

1. Labor: People who are willing to work like dogs for the "reward" of employment status and $9/hour (me) are a sad and exploited reality.

2. Market: U-haul has created a quasi-monopoly leaving customers with few other options.

3. Resources: Name recognition. Check. Huge amounts of capital to invest. Check. Economies of scale. Check.

Nearly 70 years of momentum is pushing this arcane corporation along.

Position-power-hungry GM's willing to work 60 hours/week for $35k/year provide low-mentality leadership to aforementioned employees.

Further, typical corporate absurdities ensue. Hours are fudged to avoid overtime pay. 10-14 hour shifts don't include (ANY) breaks. Customers who make reservations online are "guaranteed" equipment that doesn't exist. Managers arrive late and leave early and when they make mistakes, their employees are left to fix them. Managers lie about sharing corporate bonuses with employees. Tools that are provided are cheap (I once worked as a mechanic).
And of course, incompetent employees/managers are never fired because their superiors are either too averse to confrontation, or are aware that proper replacements are too intelligent to work here.

And if that's not enough, recently minted U-haul billionaire Joe Shoen "borrowed" company money to purchase company assets (self-storage real estate) under his own name... which are now managed by company resources. Even though he does pay for the management, as a shareholder I'd be wary of the CEO's intentions. Especially when such liberal use of millions of corporate dollars results in such personal gain.

But hey, if all you care about is the stock price, this company is great. – less
everyday
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Bolingbrook, ILAugust 18, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: a lot of work for min wage
Schedule reservations, rent and return trucks and trailers, rent storage units, help customers
Work satisfaction depends on the department.
Map Program Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 18, 2014
I don't want to spend time on this. The company headquarters are generally operated well. The company also learns from its mistakes and take a proactive approach to improving its procedures.
fun , love this company
Customer service - Team Lead (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVAugust 14, 2014
Cons: not enough hours, pay is extremely low
Management is good , learned a lot from working here customer service wise. the hardest part of the job is going home every night because once you are there you never want to leave.
fun workplace
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHAugust 12, 2014
You meet a lot of new people, co-worker hard worker I learn a lot of new things.

About U-Haul

U-Haul International, Inc. is an American equipment rental company, based in Phoenix, Arizona, that has been in operation since – Read more