U-Haul Employee Reviews in Canada

Office Clerk - 2004 - 2006
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaMarch 31, 2015
Learn and use customized accounting program
Accounts payable, audit and correct entries
Issue purchase orders & match to invoices
Use Excel to design dealers’ telephone records
Use Word for various correspondences
General secretarial duties: audit prior employees’ entries, organize, file, answer phones, relay messages, mailing and courier procedures
Pros
Always kept busy
lots to do
Customer Service Rep/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 18, 2015
checking cash drawers check in equipment open store check for reservations clean truck as required check storage locker for damage I learn a lot about maintenance of vehicles
Pros
the customers
Cons
long days
Not very good pay, or job security.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 11, 2015
worked with them for almost 2 years and was let go from one day to the next due to work/family life balance. was trying to work around a shift due to a big event in my life and because of that was let go without an explanation and was blocked to never work for the company again. Was let go so unprofessionally that i was part of management staff and was told by my staff that i didn't work there anymore and on top of that still have the keys for the location. As much as i had a great relationship with most staff and customers one family event that they didn't want to give me the time off for they very unprofessionally let me go.
Great experiance with tough tasks
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 2, 2015
I loved my time at U-Haul. I dealt with alot of situations in a day, but i always found new ways to achieve optimal customer satisfaction. I loved working my supervisor, he was very understanding and was always there to give advice when i needed help.
Pros
time to study and do homework
Cons
lots of injuries came with the job
Caring and fun work enviroment
Customer Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 23, 2015
the manager was always available if anyone needed any help, always gave a lot of hours, and was also flexible with hours.
Great people, poor company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCDecember 29, 2014
Managers were great. Work was really difficult. Shifts were constantly changed. Almost minimum wage. Holidays were pretty lenient. Lunch break is whenever there's time. Learned a lot about vehicles and how to talk to people. Lots of office work along with helping customers.
A fast paced work enviroment
Truck and Coach Co-op apprentice (Former Employee) –  Brampton, caDecember 22, 2014
A typical day of work includes preventative maintenance on all vehicles. this includes oil changes, brake inspection and replacement (hydraulic disk and drum), transmission fluid changes (automatic), spark plug replacement, and inspections of the entire vehicle.

I learned a lot about inspections and learning to follow procedures to ensure vehicle repairs.

Co-workers were generally good in a typical day will be more than willing to help train and teach me about proper repair.
Pros
good working environment and hours
Cons
very repetitive ad uhaul only had a few models of trucks to work on
FAST PACED ,HARD WORK= FAST DAYS!!dont work at surrey branch
csr (Former Employee) –  surrey ,BCDecember 12, 2014
I was told i was doing well ,let go next day without cause,i should have realized that when you lose over 4 employees in lees than a month that i should not have hired on,beware of this location!!!company on the whole ...GREAT!
Cons
terrible and poorly run, managed horribly
Horrible manager.
Csr (Former Employee) –  halifaxOctober 26, 2014
The management seems to like to yell at the employees, I would not work the unless there was new manage ment. Unless you like getting literally yelled at in front of customers.
Pros
great employees
Cons
management has a big stick
Student job
Commis (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 20, 2014
It was pleasant to work there while finishing my studies. It wasn't too demanding so I could easily get everything done without having to break a sweat. Of course, I wouldn't dream of working there my whole life. I need to be constantly challenged.
Pros
i could relax while working
Cons
very low income
Good company
Project manager, Building and fire codes (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 17, 2014
All around good people. Some travel, heavy work load. This is a good thing. Days go by quick.
Pros
good people
Cons
some travel
decent job, managementok.
hitch/wireing install (Current Employee) –  century st wpgAugust 21, 2014
work in a semi alone environment installing trailer hitches and wireing on customer vehicles. .
it was good working with the certain co workers
Customer service Rep. Deal (Former Employee) –  nash & bartonJune 26, 2014
it was typical, normal checks, decent hours, best part was the vehicle check and maintenance, just wanted further into the truck mechanics, co workers were a joke, even if i was working, theyd come out and demand i do other jobs when they just sit and complain or text, etc. i learned tons towards a lot of areas, hard to forget, the odd re study keeps the info i learn.
Pros
drving and cleaning the trucks
Cons
women being the favourite
Great benefits poor salary
Technician (Current Employee) –  victoriaJune 19, 2014
Great benefits poor salary. work very hard for what you earn. great work enviroment and people to work with learned a load of things automotive wise and put my welding skills to use many times
A friendly and productive place to be.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 10, 2014
A day starts by greeting the coworkers and getting warmed up for the daily processes with fun and keeping me on the toes once I step into the yard.
lousy pay for fast paced, high stress job
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  2275 Barton st E HamiltonJune 4, 2014
For such a large, successful corporation, they really could afford to pay their workers better. But they don't and they won't. Their company would benefit - it would be better for customers - if they would hire people for the call center in more areas than just arizona and the one other place they have it, but they won't because of the minimum wage difference. They don't want to pay more than $7/hour to call center employees even if it means giving the wrong information to customers who are put through to the call center when the location they are calling is too busy to answer the phone.

This is a high stress job because it is very fast paced, with tight schedules and stressed out customers. Working in customer service can be grating anyway, but when people are moving, they are very stressed out and can be rude and demanding and impatient. It is very busy. Uhaul's rates are by the day, but come month end, with so many people moving, we would have to charge people the daily rate for their rental, but tell them that they can only have a truck for 8 hours. Its BS.

And the parking lots are TERRIBLE. With all their profits you'd think they'd do a better job of getting a parking lot big enough for all the traffic. I started out at a UHAUL in a small city. The parking lot was so bad. Pot holes everywhere, trucks everywhere and only four parking spots for customers, and hardly any space to turn around. I thought when I moved that the new UHaul location I'd be working at would be better seeing as it was the head office for southwestern ontario. It wasn't! It was just as bad, if not
  more... worse.

I was good at this job because I am good over the phone confirming appointments and dealing with the computer scheduling system and I work well under pressure. I didn't mind actually RUNNING to get trucks for customers when we were busy to get them on their way faster. For working there for over a year I got a 75 cent raise and I'm pretty sure the first 50 cents was just because that when I moved to the new city, they have a higher cost of living so that is their starting off point for anyone.
If they had paid better I probably wouldn't have looked for another job because I work well under stress and my coworkers were nice. But for that lousy pay, it is not a long term career for me.
Pros
challenging, busy, nice coworkers, xmas turkey, if you work there you can move anywhere in north america and have a job lined up
Cons
terrible pay, no benefits, uniforms, rude customers, owner would rather save money even when it means creating problems for customers and employees
Good for part time
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 29, 2014
UHaul is a pretty good place to work, if you are looking for flexibility. Seldom a slow, boring moment while working.
Pros
busy, time goes by quickly. variety, there are plenty of different jobs to do so it doesn't get boring
Cons
hard/dirty work, don't wear nice shoes or clothes, and you're on your feet alot
Nice work place and good management
Hitch Technician (Former Employee) –  winnipeg, MBMay 17, 2014
had a great time at this job but they found a better hitch tech. but fun and good work to be with
Enjoyed it very much
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 8, 2014
Everything culminates to the end of the month where things get really busy.

Relaxed working environment and loved my co-workers.
Beware! Stay away from this company
CSR (Former Employee) –  surrey, bcApril 22, 2014
Work hours schedule varies every week depending on location's budget
They expect you do work more for less pay. Doing a $30/hr type of work but paid minimum wage.
Cheap company, no lunch breaks, trainee status for almost a year with no benefits and raise.
Co-employees just like to work smart and let hard work passed to new trainees.
Company pays you peanuts. That's why they get monkey employees.
CSR asked to do a lot of things in the yard like painting the curb with green, mowing the boulevard, throw trash in dump
Manager does not give equal number of hours to employees. But gives always 40 hours to his favorite even though the location is not busy for the week. Favorite employee just stays inside the store staring at the computer while other CSRs do the hard work outside.
Other CSR do not check and clean the trucks that they dispatch to customers.

Manager schedules favorite employee during special holidays for 1.5 times pay rate.
Uhaul does not pay overtime. If you worked more than 40 hours this week, they will carry over the excess hours for next week.
Uhaul does not welcome labor unions. Most of the employees here are relatives.
It is not an equal opportunity employer. If they don't like the way you look and speak, they will let you do all the hard work in the yard. They will only train those with good looks to handle rental contracts and just let them work smart for the whole day
Some senior csr trainees who are not even asst managers, supervisors or managers will tell you to do the hard works that are supposed to be their job to do it.
Cons
no lunch breaks, no overtime pay, no room for career advancement, minimum wage as a trainee for a long period of time, poor management