U-Haul Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
A company that gives importance work/life balance
Transfer Driver - On Call (Former Employee), BCOctober 31, 2015
Pros: No lost time for family and life outside work
Cons: slim chances for career advancement / no security
Management is very supportive about their employee's life outside work. They will accommodate requests from employees regarding family matters as much as they can, and I definitely admire them for these things. The only flaw that I saw during my time in Uhaul is proper training for new employees, especially for employees who are required to drive Uhaul vehicles. Before Uhaul, the biggest vehicle I drove was a seven-seater van. After Uhaul, I experienced driving vehicles up to three times longer than a seven-seater van. What surprised me was no one ask me if I have experience in driving cargo trucks as big as the 26-footer or even pulling trailers as long as the Transport Carriers during my hiring process. I ended up studying how to drive the unfamiliar vehicles on the road (hands on) the day i started working and lucky enough to survived without an accident considering I'm not entitled for any benefits. Its all about numbers in my line of work(which is not suppose to be), that caused some changes my driving attitude and realized the job is not for me.

I consider my life in Uhaul as a challenging experience. I learned a lot of things about the company and co-employees. It's a great place to start for young individuals who still live with the parents and doesn't have any bills to pay.
Seemed positive initially.......
Reservation Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 3, 2016
Pros: minimum wage job
Cons: overworked, underpaid, management not professional
Very low pay. Expect you to do several jobs. There is no discipline if they like you. You can be on facebook all day at work if you like. This was a terrible and unprofessional company to work for..... Do not apply at Uhaul.
Excellent place to work for students
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Brampton, ONJanuary 6, 2016
It's a good place to work for students. The flexibility is great.There are also a lot of opportunities for promotions and growth!
I will miss uhaul
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), A1B3p9October 21, 2015
Pros: Awesome
Cons: Pawsome
I am leaving uhaul not because I am not happy there but rather I will be happy somewhere else. I have done great soul searching to decide what my next move will be aned I finally believe that this is it. I want work with you and of my skills in superior guest relations, management and entertain.
fast paced, always something different
Facility Maintainence Tech (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 9, 2015
easy to communicate with fellow peers, hard work and boring tasks but still fun. not much room for advancement have the ability to meet new people
great place to gain customer service experience
Rental Sales Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 9, 2015
uhual is a great starting position for those who need customer service experience. Management is very professional and treat employees right.
Overrall fun and professional
Gérant de Territoire (Current Employee), Montréal, QCApril 3, 2015
Pros: I'd make my own schedule and had my gasoline paid
Cons: Long hours and driving far from home
I loved waking up every morning ready to help out the dealers I had. I'd prospect on daily basis for potential new affiliates. It was fun being on the road. This was my first manager position that exploded on me real quick. I learned that I need to be more confident in myself and my decisions if i wanted to be a manager in the future. Management wasn't terrible but they should be less negative. I didn't have to many co-workers since the job consisted of being on the road alone.
Lip Service
Transfer Driver (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 1, 2015
Pros: None.
Cons: Long hours.
No training provided, or piecemeal at best, given only when someone messes up on the job.

The management only pays lip service to being safe on the job, and on the roads. Time is closely monitored and tracked. This puts pressure on drivers to drive at unsafe speeds above the speed limit. Drivers are questioned and looked at with suspicion if traffic makes the trip longer. Job termination without explanation.

Work takes priority over personal life when volume of work is high. Some accommodation given to personal life when it's convenient for the company.
Very hard company to work for
CSR/Yardman/Forklift Operator/GM (Current Employee), Regina, SKJanuary 25, 2016
Pros: Enjoyed working with crew and customers
Cons: Upper managemnet not talking to each other
Started as a yard man promoted to hitch tech and csr. Was manager for one year asked to go down to csr. Found no family or personal life as a manager
Nice place to work, with the right people
Area Manager (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Great Company, Lots of Training and Support
Cons: No Stability
I find that this is a really good company to work for and they are very supportive to anyone looking to get better training and advancement. Unfortunately lately there have been a lot of staff changes that has really impacted the overall dynamic which has made it difficult to continue staying motivated.
Review
General Store Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Flexible days on and off
Cons: Long hours
A typical consisted of many calls from managers, customers and employees to cell phone. Dealing with issues with rentals and planning for the week ahead. Managing and scheduling the reservations for truck and trailer rentals, hitch installations, UBOX rentals and our self storage rentals. Doing safety walk arounds was a part of the daily routine. Every day was very unexpected as we dealt with a high volume of customers on a daily basis.
not a positive enviroment
employee (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 13, 2015
it was a JOB that's it,,,, very unhealthy environment... no one knows what there doing and then the management team wants you to train people that know nothing about your trade ( mechanic)
General Manager / Driver (Former Employee), London, ONMay 24, 2015
No praise, and no matter how hard you try it still is not good enough for the mcp. The mcp and the frm are not there to assist but to cause more of an issue instead of offering support and guidance which is what you would expect from a superior
Terrible stress inducing environment.
Customer Service (Former Employee), Abbotsford, BCJanuary 13, 2016
Horrible company to work for. Do not look out for or protect their staff. A lot of their staff dealing with chronic anxiety due to their employment with this company.
Great place to work with flexible hours
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Peterborough, ONOctober 16, 2015
Pros: Flexible Schedule
Definitely require the ability to multi task and the desire and ability to constantly learn. It is a very fast paced, customer service heavy atmosphere. The "Team" is great and there is always a course or person to assist you if needed. The hardest part of the job is ... the weather ... people need trucks/trailers etc no matter how hot/cold/wet it is outside :)
volunteer
volunteer (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJanuary 13, 2016
great place had a lot of fun volunteering. we got free pizza and half the game we sat out and waqtched. and also gave me some great skills and experiience
Interesting
Hitch and Wiring Specialist/ Customer (Former Employee), Montreal,QcApril 12, 2014
Pros: enjoyed the time i was there
Cons: my pour upper management
I was working with a friend, who I have to say was the best boss I have had in many years. However the sad part of the situation was that we had lost many employees in a short time and we were left with three guy. this meant that I was working about 60 hours a week, while my boss was working over 70. and between the two of us we kept the place running.
when I asked for a raise, my boss understood and was more then happy to do so as he knew how hard I was working. however the upper management felt differently. This would be one of my many reasons for leaving
Not very good pay, or job security.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 11, 2015
worked with them for almost 2 years and was let go from one day to the next due to work/family life balance. was trying to work around a shift due to a big event in my life and because of that was let go without an explanation and was blocked to never work for the company again. Was let go so unprofessionally that i was part of management staff and was told by my staff that i didn't work there anymore and on top of that still have the keys for the location. As much as i had a great relationship with most staff and customers one family event that they didn't want to give me the time off for they very unprofessionally let me go.
Good techs, very diversified co-workers
Auto Mechanic (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 6, 2015
Pros: big on safety
Cons: Not much chance to use all of my skills
Being a brakes specialist it was very repetitive work, with only a few types of trucks to repair Not enough problems to solve
Always on the move
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Pointe-Claire, QCSeptember 29, 2015
Cleaning trucks, doing maintenance on the trucks, maintaining the storage facility and office clean and organized, serving clients on the phone or in person.