U-Haul Employee Reviews in Canada

Customers
Full Time, Customer Service, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 22, 2016
U-Haul was very interesting to work at as the customers were well respected and had amazing manners. Overall i improved my communication skills because of U-Haul as i had to call and talk face to face with customers with their rentals.
Pros
Customers
calgary, ab
Scenior Clerk / Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 6, 2016
Nice people, lots of employee benefits. Regular appreciation events. Great benefits
Good location, . regular raises. Health fairs and monthly bbqs
fun workplace with peak hours becoming intense
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 30, 2016
Part of this job is to do basic maintenance on the vehicles and trailers as well as too help customers. On slow days this was pretty easy to complete and we were often able to have fun with it. However on the busy days you are dealing with a little store that is packed with stressed out people trying to get their truck so that they can finish moving into their new place. Even these days can be fun if the management allowed it; there was nothing more fun than joking around with a customer where you see them laugh for the first time that day. But some of the upper management folks were not very organized or focused and wanted to stay true to corporate to the point where it hinders not only your relationship with that manager but also with the customer. Since I left, there has been almost complete turnover at the location I was at, however a group of us still meet up occasionally.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
upper management
Character Assassination
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 11, 2016
This job was the best job I had in a very long time, that was until upper managment believed a customer and didn't even speak to me. Now this customer's van was dented in the middle of the back door. He blamed me for not hooking up an auto transport correctly. Now he had three different versions of this tale, and I only had one. My manager believed me but upper managment, never spoke to me about the incident. I had witnesses about how shady the guy was and what he was going to do. This customer was going to unhooked the AT, so he DECLINED insurance. But when I came back to work I found out someone had put the insurance on to make his claim? This place is filled with shady people. They threw an employee under the bus without asking questions or taking into consideration how many trailers I hooked up that morning, and I didn't manage to miss up any of those up. The staff is filled with backstabbers, I can name two employees who were good honest people, employees who are liars and who have stolen from U-Haul.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Everything.
Seemed positive initially.......
Reservation Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 3, 2016
Very low pay. Expect you to do several jobs. There is no discipline if they like you. You can be on facebook all day at work if you like. This was a terrible and unprofessional company to work for..... Do not apply at Uhaul.
Pros
minimum wage job
Cons
overworked, underpaid, management not professional
Very hard company to work for
CSR/Yardman/Forklift Operator/GM (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKJanuary 25, 2016
Started as a yard man promoted to hitch tech and csr. Was manager for one year asked to go down to csr. Found no family or personal life as a manager
Pros
Enjoyed working with crew and customers
Cons
Upper managemnet not talking to each other
volunteer
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 13, 2016
great place had a lot of fun volunteering. we got free pizza and half the game we sat out and waqtched. and also gave me some great skills and experiience
Terrible stress inducing environment.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCJanuary 13, 2016
Horrible company to work for. Do not look out for or protect their staff. A lot of their staff dealing with chronic anxiety due to their employment with this company.
Excellent place to work for students
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 6, 2016
It's a good place to work for students. The flexibility is great.There are also a lot of opportunities for promotions and growth!
fast paced, always something different
Facility Maintainence Tech (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 9, 2015
easy to communicate with fellow peers, hard work and boring tasks but still fun. not much room for advancement have the ability to meet new people
great place to gain customer service experience
Rental Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 9, 2015
uhual is a great starting position for those who need customer service experience. Management is very professional and treat employees right.
A company that gives importance work/life balance
Transfer Driver - On Call (Former Employee) –  BCOctober 31, 2015
Management is very supportive about their employee's life outside work. They will accommodate requests from employees regarding family matters as much as they can, and I definitely admire them for these things. The only flaw that I saw during my time in Uhaul is proper training for new employees, especially for employees who are required to drive Uhaul vehicles. Before Uhaul, the biggest vehicle I drove was a seven-seater van. After Uhaul, I experienced driving vehicles up to three times longer than a seven-seater van. What surprised me was no one ask me if I have experience in driving cargo trucks as big as the 26-footer or even pulling trailers as long as the Transport Carriers during my hiring process. I ended up studying how to drive the unfamiliar vehicles on the road (hands on) the day i started working and lucky enough to survived without an accident considering I'm not entitled for any benefits. Its all about numbers in my line of work(which is not suppose to be), that caused some changes my driving attitude and realized the job is not for me.

I consider my life in Uhaul as a challenging experience. I learned a lot of things about the company and co-employees. It's a great place to start for young individuals who still live with the parents and doesn't have any bills to pay.
Pros
No lost time for family and life outside work
Cons
slim chances for career advancement / no security
I will miss uhaul
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  A1B3p9October 21, 2015
I am leaving uhaul not because I am not happy there but rather I will be happy somewhere else. I have done great soul searching to decide what my next move will be aned I finally believe that this is it. I want work with you and of my skills in superior guest relations, management and entertain.
Pros
Awesome
Cons
Pawsome
Great place to work with flexible hours
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONOctober 16, 2015
Definitely require the ability to multi task and the desire and ability to constantly learn. It is a very fast paced, customer service heavy atmosphere. The "Team" is great and there is always a course or person to assist you if needed. The hardest part of the job is ... the weather ... people need trucks/trailers etc no matter how hot/cold/wet it is outside :)
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Good techs, very diversified co-workers
Auto Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 6, 2015
Being a brakes specialist it was very repetitive work, with only a few types of trucks to repair Not enough problems to solve
Pros
big on safety
Cons
Not much chance to use all of my skills
Always on the move
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QCSeptember 29, 2015
Cleaning trucks, doing maintenance on the trucks, maintaining the storage facility and office clean and organized, serving clients on the phone or in person.
not a positive enviroment
employee (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 13, 2015
it was a JOB that's it,,,, very unhealthy environment... no one knows what there doing and then the management team wants you to train people that know nothing about your trade ( mechanic)
Nice place to work, with the right people
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 7, 2015
I find that this is a really good company to work for and they are very supportive to anyone looking to get better training and advancement. Unfortunately lately there have been a lot of staff changes that has really impacted the overall dynamic which has made it difficult to continue staying motivated.
Pros
Great Company, Lots of Training and Support
Cons
No Stability
Review
General Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 3, 2015
A typical consisted of many calls from managers, customers and employees to cell phone. Dealing with issues with rentals and planning for the week ahead. Managing and scheduling the reservations for truck and trailer rentals, hitch installations, UBOX rentals and our self storage rentals. Doing safety walk arounds was a part of the daily routine. Every day was very unexpected as we dealt with a high volume of customers on a daily basis.
Pros
Flexible days on and off
Great company
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 30, 2015
U-Haul is a great company to work for. I really have enjoyed working for them this far but I no longer have any advancment oppurtunities.