Tube City IMS Employee Reviews

Reliable job, steady pay-check, decent benefits, laid back employees
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Jewett, TX25 October 2016
Overall, it wasn't a bad company to work for. There was some drama in the management at times, but nonetheless, it was tolerable. The pay was pretty decent, and the benefits weren't bad either. You always had help when you needed it, and there were always an opportunity to work overtime. Very strict on safety and company policies.
Pros
Supplied PPE, water, washed uniforms, decent pay, decent benefits, laid back employees
Cons
Sometimes excessive on the rules, my particular position dealt with rainouts, not the nicest of equipment
Horrible place to work
Lube Tech (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, AL23 March 2016
This is a horrible place to work. The management always talk do to the employees. The management only promoted the employees they liked or sucked up to them the most. If you like working swing shift then you might like it. The pay was okay but you get raises that amount to anything when the management thinks you've sucked enough.
Cons
you must always be ready for anything
Slab Dispatcher/Foreman (Current Employee) –  Gary, IN7 September 2016
As my summary states, my job is not your regular place of employment. every day there are new problems to confront, whether they be machinery braking down, or employees having personal issues.
I have worked for my company a total of 16 years. In those years I have learned to manage people in ways to optimize their performance during a shift, and have learned to multitask.
The hardest part of my job would have to be dealing with four different departments at one time. Making sure all are satisfied at the end of the day. What I like about my job is that it's fast paced. I always have to be "on my toes" so to speak.
Horrible place to work for!
Weighmaster (Former Employee) –  Ohio2 February 2017
Managers are awful! Hours your required to work are insane. Manager made lie to steel mill almost on a daily basis. Worst place I've ever worked for. I wouldn't recommend to anyone.
An OK place to work.
Welder/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Alabama19 August 2016
This is an OK place to work if you don't mind the foreman having too much power. However, the work environment was friendly and everyone was on the same page all the time. Despite the heat and humidity everyone was usually in a good mood. There was no shortage of work and the bosses let me work almost what ever days I wanted and how ever much over time I wanted. Overall, a good place to work in my opinion.
Pros
good sized brakes
Cons
A lot of people with too much power.
Management is a joke
worker (Current Employee) –  Middletown, OH9 September 2016
Management here wants you to do the work of two men in half the time it should take 4 men. Under staffed so you will be FORCED to work doubles very often. Management also plays one union against the other in order to keep all unions weak.
You have to watch your back to keep your job
Management (Former Employee) –  Ohio26 March 2014
There is a major lack of communication and constant blame for absolutely no reason at all. My time with this company was constantly observing workers getting thrown away for no fault of their own. When someone forgets to perform a task, the blame gets pointed down to the next person. It is a very cut throat place where mannerism and morals are slim to none. I was told that my chair can be easily replaced by anyone else upon hire. I did everything I was asked of and still got threatened for no reason. All they care about is their money, not you.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours, tense work environment
nice group of co-workers
MANAGER TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  West Mifflin, PA15 March 2015
For the most part, a typical day of work was enjoyable. I got along well with our union and employees and most of the management.
The hardest part of the job was never knowing when you were going to get the visit from the operations manager to lay you off. No job security there anymore.
Pros
good salary and benefits
Cons
poor upper management
You are EXPENDABLE!!!
Former Manager / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calvert, AL23 August 2014
Upper management will hold you accountable for bad decisions made by themselves. You're ability to be promoted is based on who you know in the company and not your performance or experience. When decisions made by upper management turn sour multiple heads will roll. This place goes thru supervision like none I've seen.
If your a yes man.....you will go far.
GOOD LUCK!
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
MULTIPLE
Shortsited Management, Doesn't pay well enough for required work
Operator (Current Employee) –  Midwest, US29 September 2013
Typical day Consists of dangerous activities in tight quarters in very large equipment in less than desirable conditions handling extremely hot material (2500 degrees plus) through tight turns and avoiding traffic with management that can be described as under-qualified at best
Pros
Health and Dental Benefits
Cons
Expected to do inherently dangerous taks daily
Terrible
Burner (Former Employee) –  West Mifflin, PA23 April 2016
I worked for this company for 3 years. Constantly laid off Management was run by sub human scum. You work with materials that cause cancer. You're forced into a union that is a joke. Save your health and time and bypass this company.
Great work place
Material handler (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZ14 March 2012
Tube City IMS Is one of the best company I ever worked for. There is room for advancement around every corner. The management is expert and professional. They also pay well.
Pros
good compensation
every day
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Scunthorpe, ENG8 January 2016
A day on the cast house, check roads for wear n tear, repair any refactory that requires repairing, organising co workers and setting out a work plan for them, communicating with upper management from tata and tube city ims,

I think the hardest part of the job is to maintain the skill that is required for the type of maintenance to be done, and overseeing that the work being carried out is to a very high standard,

I love this type of industry it gives me a sense of achievement after completing a task and knowing that I have done it to the best of my ability,
poor management
operator (Current Employee) –  trinidad6 November 2013
Long 12hrs shifts too much rules everyday go by is another rule we are only human not machine alot of dust and dangerous work management dont like to listen to workers and also maintenance of equipment is poor
benefits
Cons
false promise bad management
horrible management
laborer (Current Employee) –  Middletown, OH4 April 2015
Horrible management. It is good pay and benefits. Upper management is horrible. I'm currently looking for another job.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
management
Not a company that sees its true value in its employees/ lower management
Site Safety Manager / Maintenance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Auburn, NY26 October 2015
As far as overall corporate structure. I have never been a part of a company who's upper corporate management is so completely disconnected from its sites throughout. It is a very frustrating company to work for because the overall training one receives even as an incoming manager is poor and sets them up to fail. You are also given no sick or personal time in regards to family emergencies or personal issues. I would not join this company again if I was to do it over again. The only positive I have gained from this, is the knowledge and experience in managing a team of employees in a higher risk environment as it pertains to safety.
Pros
Ability to improve the working and safety quality for the employees I manage
Cons
Poor employer when it comes to family concerns. To fast to let go of good operators.
Poor Management, Low Moral, Stay Away
Manager (Former Employee) –  Glassport5 May 2013
Benefits are good, below average work environment. Treat Employees awful.
Pros
Healthcare Benefits
Cons
Unprofessional, low pay, big employee turnaround, just awful.
Worst company ever !!!!!!
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Braddock, PA26 July 2013
Tube city IMS is the absolute worst company you could ever work for! They could care less about your " career "at that company! You are 100% replaceable. They will flat-out lie to your face about anything and everything including safety issues and they treat employees like trash unless you're one of their but kissers! They WILL fire you as fast as you can blink your eyes if you're injured on the job. Your life while working there will be miserable from breathing a ton of slag dust and steel shavings in the air. But there air-quality tests come back clean?? Yeah right! It's just another lie that they can put on their list. To top it all their maintenance supervisor is in the union and is also considered management and he will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat! That literally was the WORST job I have ever had!
Pros
Cons
The whole shebang!
hard work and safety first
jcb / labourer (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough, ENG9 December 2015
when working with other people it is very important to work as a team as to keep moral high and work safer and more enjoyable. when working alone I concentrate a lot more and get a lot more work done I like to do my job to the best of my ability and take a lot of pride in my tasks. I find the best thing about working is the confidents it gives you and being able to be apart of something special no mater what the job. the hardest part of a job is haven to put up with lazy moaners who don't appreciate work.
Pros
having good managament
Cons
working with lazey moaners
Review of Tube City
Manager - Internal Audit (Current Employee) –  Glassport, PA9 February 2016
This company has an excellent and talented management team that allows all to grow. Working in the Internal Audit Department, one finds that no two days are ever alike.

2.9