Tube City IMS Employee Reviews

every day
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Scunthorpe, ENGJanuary 8, 2016
A day on the cast house, check roads for wear n tear, repair any refactory that requires repairing, organising co workers and setting out a work plan for them, communicating with upper management from tata and tube city ims,

I think the hardest part of the job is to maintain the skill that is required for the type of maintenance to be done, and overseeing that the work being carried out is to a very high standard,

I love this type of industry it gives me a sense of achievement after completing a task and knowing that I have done it to the best of my ability,
Not a company that sees its true value in its employees/ lower management
Site Safety Manager / Maintenance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Auburn, NYOctober 26, 2015
As far as overall corporate structure. I have never been a part of a company who's upper corporate management is so completely disconnected from its sites throughout. It is a very frustrating company to work for because the overall training one receives even as an incoming manager is poor and sets them up to fail. You are also given no sick or personal time in regards to family emergencies or personal issues. I would not join this company again if I was to do it over again. The only positive I have gained from this, is the knowledge and experience in managing a team of employees in a higher risk environment as it pertains to safety.
Pros
Ability to improve the working and safety quality for the employees I manage
Cons
Poor employer when it comes to family concerns. To fast to let go of good operators.
hard work and safety first
jcb / labourer (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough, ENGDecember 9, 2015
when working with other people it is very important to work as a team as to keep moral high and work safer and more enjoyable. when working alone I concentrate a lot more and get a lot more work done I like to do my job to the best of my ability and take a lot of pride in my tasks. I find the best thing about working is the confidents it gives you and being able to be apart of something special no mater what the job. the hardest part of a job is haven to put up with lazy moaners who don't appreciate work.
Pros
having good managament
Cons
working with lazey moaners
Terrible
Burner (Former Employee) –  West Mifflin, PAApril 23, 2016
I worked for this company for 3 years. Constantly laid off Management was run by sub human scum. You work with materials that cause cancer. You're forced into a union that is a joke. Save your health and time and bypass this company.
Review of Tube City
Manager - Internal Audit (Current Employee) –  Glassport, PAFebruary 9, 2016
This company has an excellent and talented management team that allows all to grow. Working in the Internal Audit Department, one finds that no two days are ever alike.
nice group of co-workers
MANAGER TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  West Mifflin, PAMarch 15, 2015
For the most part, a typical day of work was enjoyable. I got along well with our union and employees and most of the management.
The hardest part of the job was never knowing when you were going to get the visit from the operations manager to lay you off. No job security there anymore.
Pros
good salary and benefits
Cons
poor upper management
You have to watch your back to keep your job
Management (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 26, 2014
There is a major lack of communication and constant blame for absolutely no reason at all. My time with this company was constantly observing workers getting thrown away for no fault of their own. When someone forgets to perform a task, the blame gets pointed down to the next person. It is a very cut throat place where mannerism and morals are slim to none. I was told that my chair can be easily replaced by anyone else upon hire. I did everything I was asked of and still got threatened for no reason. All they care about is their money, not you.
benefits
Cons
long hours, tense work environment
horrible management
laborer (Current Employee) –  Middletown, OHApril 4, 2015
Horrible management. It is good pay and benefits. Upper management is horrible. I'm currently looking for another job.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
management
Tiring
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Calvert, ALDecember 13, 2015
Overall my experience at Tube City wasnt the best. Nothing was ever constant and the management had no idea how to operate a plant.
You are EXPENDABLE!!!
Former Manager / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calvert, ALAugust 23, 2014
Upper management will hold you accountable for bad decisions made by themselves. You're ability to be promoted is based on who you know in the company and not your performance or experience. When decisions made by upper management turn sour multiple heads will roll. This place goes thru supervision like none I've seen.
If your a yes man.....you will go far.
GOOD LUCK!
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
multiple
Shortsited Management, Doesn't pay well enough for required work
Operator (Current Employee) –  Midwest, USSeptember 29, 2013
Typical day Consists of dangerous activities in tight quarters in very large equipment in less than desirable conditions handling extremely hot material (2500 degrees plus) through tight turns and avoiding traffic with management that can be described as under-qualified at best
Pros
health and dental benefits
Cons
expected to do inherently dangerous taks daily
job
PLANT OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNDecember 16, 2015
its a job and will def pays the bills. co-workers are great people to work with and easy to get along with also. lots of work
Great work place
Material handler (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZMarch 14, 2012
Tube City IMS Is one of the best company I ever worked for. There is room for advancement around every corner. The management is expert and professional. They also pay well.
Pros
good compensation
poor management
operator (Current Employee) –  trinidadNovember 6, 2013
Long 12hrs shifts too much rules everyday go by is another rule we are only human not machine alot of dust and dangerous work management dont like to listen to workers and also maintenance of equipment is poor
benefits
Cons
false promise bad management
very productive
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Redcar, ENGSeptember 20, 2015
Very productive place to work as there is always something to do so you are constantly moving, an excellent group of colleagues that are very easy to get along with and make every day worth getting out of bed for.
Pros
39 Hours a week
Cons
Hourly Rate
Poor Management, Low Moral, Stay Away
Manager (Former Employee) –  GlassportMay 5, 2013
Benefits are good, below average work environment. Treat Employees awful.
Pros
healthcare benefits
Cons
unprofessional, low pay, big employee turnaround, just awful.
Worst company ever !!!!!!
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Braddock, PAJuly 26, 2013
Tube city IMS is the absolute worst company you could ever work for! They could care less about your " career "at that company! You are 100% replaceable. They will flat-out lie to your face about anything and everything including safety issues and they treat employees like trash unless you're one of their but kissers! They WILL fire you as fast as you can blink your eyes if you're injured on the job. Your life while working there will be miserable from breathing a ton of slag dust and steel shavings in the air. But there air-quality tests come back clean?? Yeah right! It's just another lie that they can put on their list. To top it all their maintenance supervisor is in the union and is also considered management and he will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat! That literally was the WORST job I have ever had!
Cons
the whole shebang!
Ran worse than the government
supervisory (Current Employee) –  Gary, InApril 3, 2014
A typical day at Tube City IMS Gary starts with middle management being yelled at, threatened (with bullets by the VP), and degraded, for a good hour, for the first hour of the day. The remaining 7 hours involves drastic miscommunication due to upper management dropping the ball, and passing the buck onto middle management; who are doing as directed. This in turn leads to foreman being written up, and eventually fired in all departments. The company has an extremely high turn over rate. In my near two years here, I have seen more company foreman and parts room workers leave or get fired more than I have seen at any other company. The upper management pits union workers against company workers, and constantly drains fiscal resources.

The gossip spread on the work floor is ridiculous, but mainly accurate due to union facilitators being placed in company management positions. There's gross under training, you are set to fail, and the management does not recognize the hard work put in by any level of employee from superintendents, procurement people, to the lowest paid workers like the parts room workers.

Ultimately, this is a company where fiscal irresponsibility and a lot of waste lead to negative outcomes. Injuries, and the people injured are degraded and called derogatory terms by upper management. They cut trade positions and then create management positions with union facilitators, to which craft workers in the union object to, only to be shut down. Now reading this, you may think that I am painting a negative picture, but, this is the reality of this place.

In corporate
  more... and bureaucratic settings, such as this, employee morale on union or company side is disregarded. They don't pay well, they are disrespectful, and will work you like a dog while letting you know that you are 100% expendable. Your career will not progress here, this is simply a job to pay the bills. They hire new recruits outside of the company, and explain why you're not qualified to advance, while they hire a clueless individual (no disrespect to the people being hired) that have NO idea how industrial settings run.

In short.. if you need a job until you can find something better, take it.. if you want a career, look else where.
Pros
health insurance, and 401k
Cons
low morale, constant degradation, low wages, no advancement
No family time
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Calvert, ALMarch 5, 2015
A lot of hours just no family time. This company does not promote from within instead they move workers from home office to site and promote them. Severe micro management no designated time for lunch or break was made to eat on the move. Double standard for safety when it concerns workers wearing PPE and management
Pros
good insurance
Cons
no time aloted for lunch had to eat when we could
this is a very hard working inviornment and unclean
Heavey Equipment Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 21, 2015
start work at 7:00 am . I take look at all of the equipment to see what is broke from the day beforand start the repair prosess to make the equipment work for the day .

2.6